Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Ju Jitsu is meh in real life

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I started doing Gracie Ju Jitsu bout 7 months ago. I pay over $150 a month. I am so grateful that I started it and I learned a lot. The one thing I did notice though is that in a real fight there are only a handful of moves that really reliably work. I would say at the top of the list is the clinch. I recently tried some of the moves on big football players in real life and I was disappointed about how much I had to modify them. There is textbook Ju Jitsu and real life. I feel like you have to try it in real life in order to know what is bullshi*.

For example if you try the clinch the way the Gracies teach it you will get into a headlock. You have to put your head on the outside instead of the inside. Again I am so thankful I found Gracie ju jitsu but some of it needs to be modified for real life. Do you guys agree?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
7 months isn't very long. There is an easy defense to a standing guillotine, which I think is what you mean by headlock. Shoot your free hand to the sky and put the other on your opponent's hip. You can be carried by your neck this way and still breathe just fine. Then you trip him, land on top, and press the sharp part of your hand against his face until he lets go.

At this point in your training, you are just learning defense, as far as "real fight" skills go. You're not going to kick ass as a white belt, but your training will save your own ass when losing a fight.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
7 months isn't very long. There is an easy defense to a standing guillotine, which I think is what you mean by headlock. Shoot your free hand to the sky and put the other on your opponent's hip. You can be carried by your neck this way and still breathe just fine. Then you trip him, land on top, and press the sharp part of your hand against his face until he lets go.

At this point in your training, you are just learning defense, as far as "real fight" skills go. You're not going to kick ass as a white belt, but your training will save your own ass when losing a fight.
Hey man thanks for the reply. I do need way more training and I will be practicing that standing guillotine defense you just described until I get it perfect.

Another thing I was surprised by was how dangerous guard can be if you don't know what you are doing. I am about 177lbs at 5 foot 11. My cousin is about 220lbs ex div one football player. I had him in a tight closed guard and he just picked me up and slammed the fu(k out of me. I know they taught defenses to that but no one in class did it so fast when we rolled. Just to pick you brain real quick, would you not recommend closed guard to people much bigger and stronger than you? I never really see anyone get slammed from closed guard in MMA fights even with a size discrepancy.

I got a long way to go and I guess I am just getting ahead of myself. I will keep training for at least two more years maybe add some striking classes in there too.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can you knock down a guy with a hit to his chin, neck, nose, balls, liver? What's your plan for several guys, 3 or 4?
Only a gun will help you then.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can you knock down a guy with a hit to his chin, neck, nose, balls, liver? What's your plan for several guys, 3 or 4?
I get your point. Striking classes are in my future hopefully. If I had to fight 3 or 4 guys I will just try to run to my car and get the hell out of there. There is this one video online with this Turkish boxer beating up 4 guys. I think he just got lucky though.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I get your point. Striking classes are in my future hopefully. If I had to fight 3 or 4 guys I will just try to run to my car and get the hell out of there. There is this one video online with this Turkish boxer beating up 4 guys. I think he just got lucky though.
If hes trained and they are not ots precusion. There is a vid of an old man boxer knocking out three thugs who tried to rob him.

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
I get your point. Striking classes are in my future hopefully.
I known this boxer, he's not professional or anything, just practiced box since he was young. He knocked out a guy cold with one punch, poor dude only came back in the hospital. Boxer guy got probation and a real scare. Then there was this other dude, just an acquaintance, bad one at that, he was all gangster and sht, one night he got drunk and got into an argument over him pissing in an elevator. Neighbor knock him out, he hit head and went to hospital. He had brain hemorrhaging, doctors removed half his skull, he is now half retarded and his head has a big dent on one side. It looks like this only on the other side and the dude has a retarded look to him

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey man thanks for the reply. I do need way more training and I will be practicing that standing guillotine defense you just described until I get it perfect.

Another thing I was surprised by was how dangerous guard can be if you don't know what you are doing. I am about 177lbs at 5 foot 11. My cousin is about 220lbs ex div one football player. I had him in a tight closed guard and he just picked me up and slammed the fu(k out of me. I know they taught defenses to that but no one in class did it so fast when we rolled. Just to pick you brain real quick, would you not recommend closed guard to people much bigger and stronger than you? I never really see anyone get slammed from closed guard in MMA fights even with a size discrepancy.
Slams don't really work in mma. There are two layers of mat, plus 2x12 boards under that, which flex a lot. It is not anything like getting slammed on actual ground, especially concrete.

In order to pick you up to slam you, that person would have had to stand up while in your guard. The point of guard is to break posture. He probably exposed himself to a sweep that you just didn't hit. Try this with a training partner, have him try to stand in guard. His feet with come within range of your hands. Grab them, unlock your legs, then pull on his ankles as you push forward on his thighs with your shins. He will get dumped on his butt, and you can go for mount or escape. If you miss that sweep, grab onto one ankle and push the other one away with your feet. His base will be too wide, making him easy to tip over.

In a real fight, guard is for when you are losing. It is not a place you want to hang out very long at all. It should only take a few seconds to hit a sweep or submission on an untrained person. Typically, you go for something, they overreact, which puts them off balance and easy to sweep. You can't hang out on your back on concrete or you won't have any skin left.

The best urban combat position in jiu jitsu to learn, I think, is knee-on-belly. It is better to have against someone than mount, if you are on concrete, because only the bottom of one foot touches pavement. In mount, they can flop around and tear up your knees. Knee on belly is like side control, except your shin is crushing their guts. It hurts if done correctly. My instructor who taught it to me is a police officer who used it in his line of work.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I known this boxer, he's not professional or anything, just practiced box since he was young. He knocked out a guy cold with one punch, poor dude only came back in the hospital. Boxer guy got probation and a real scare. Then there was this other dude, just an acquaintance, bad one at that, he was all gangster and sht, one night he got drunk and got into an argument over him pissing in an elevator. Neighbor knock him out, he hit head and went to hospital. He had brain hemorrhaging, doctors removed half his skull, he is now half retarded and his head has a big dent on one side. It looks like this only on the other side and the dude has a retarded look to him

100% unadulterated bullsh*t

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Slams don't really work in mma. There are two layers of mat, plus 2x12 boards under that, which flex a lot. It is not anything like getting slammed on actual ground, especially concrete.

In order to pick you up to slam you, that person would have had to stand up while in your guard. The point of guard is to break posture. He probably exposed himself to a sweep that you just didn't hit. Try this with a training partner, have him try to stand in guard. His feet with come within range of your hands. Grab them, unlock your legs, then pull on his ankles as you push forward on his thighs with your shins. He will get dumped on his butt, and you can go for mount or escape. If you miss that sweep, grab onto one ankle and push the other one away with your feet. His base will be too wide, making him easy to tip over.

In a real fight, guard is for when you are losing. It is not a place you want to hang out very long at all. It should only take a few seconds to hit a sweep or submission on an untrained person. Typically, you go for something, they overreact, which puts them off balance and easy to sweep. You can't hang out on your back on concrete or you won't have any skin left.

The best urban combat position in jiu jitsu to learn, I think, is knee-on-belly. It is better to have against someone than mount, if you are on concrete, because only the bottom of one foot touches pavement. In mount, they can flop around and tear up your knees. Knee on belly is like side control, except your shin is crushing their guts. It hurts if done correctly. My instructor who taught it to me is a police officer who used it in his line of work.
Cool..thank you for the info

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agree on everything bible belt said, forget about certain bjj moves in a fights with hands, feets, elbows and knees involved.

Many way to pass your opponent guard are a no sense in a street fight, just pound the sh1t out of him if he keeps his guard closed and it will be him to open it to attemp something quick.

I disagree with the knee on stomach position as the best one however, it takes a lot of balance and skills to properly control it.

I would go on a side control personally and work from there, a few bruises from the ground are no big deal during a street fight, also you can attempt many attacks without risking your dominant position.

A side control his his arms under your belly and your two arms to fight his free one will allow you to either strike or go for a submission easily.

Anyway no self defence possible unless you train a more complete way with striking, wrestling and grappling all togheter, also keep in mind that if you want to wrestle someone to the ground you still need some punches or elbows to force him to use his arms to protect his face and leave his body vulnerable.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I disagree with the knee on stomach position as the best one however, it takes a lot of balance and skills to properly control it.
Sure, i'll give you that. Another thing I should add is that is a move from gi jiu jitsu. It is not going to work nearly as well on a sweaty shirtless opponent, or at least it will be more difficult. Translating gi moves to street moves will often depend on what the two of you are wearing. Some moves would be more likely to work in cold weather, where people will be wearing more clothes to hold on to. Some shirt collars are strong enough to choke someone, lots of them are not. And that ties into situational awareness. For example, if you're fighting on the edge of a cliff, the best move to know is probably a judo toss.

Sunnypoo

Don Juan
Reaction score
I use strikes and anything that keeps me upright. Ending up on the ground in a real fight is bad news. I've been training in MMA for about eight years now, stick with the basic gross motor skills, forget fine motor skill stuff and practice full contact.

"do not fear the man who practices 10,000 different kicks, fear the man who practices one kick 10,000 times" - Bruce Lee

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sure, i'll give you that. Another thing I should add is that is a move from gi jiu jitsu. It is not going to work nearly as well on a sweaty shirtless opponent, or at least it will be more difficult. Translating gi moves to street moves will often depend on what the two of you are wearing. Some moves would be more likely to work in cold weather, where people will be wearing more clothes to hold on to. Some shirt collars are strong enough to choke someone, lots of them are not. And that ties into situational awareness. For example, if you're fighting on the edge of a cliff, the best move to know is probably a judo toss.
Hey I was thinking that in a street fight my go to move would be 1 of two things.
1.) Fient with a jab, and then go for a blast double leg takedown

2.) Go in for the clinch and try to do a body fold takedown or some kind of trip

At my skill level anything else is too impractical. What do you think about that bro

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey I was thinking that in a street fight my go to move would be 1 of two things.
1.) Fient with a jab, and then go for a blast double leg takedown

2.) Go in for the clinch and try to do a body fold takedown or some kind of trip

At my skill level anything else is too impractical. What do you think about that bro
I think going to the pavement should not be one's first choice. Too many bad things can happen, like someone hitting their head on the concrete, or his friends coming up from behind to stomp on you. If you can trip or throw the guy without going down yourself, that would be a lot better. And there is no honor in a street fight. Kicking the other guy in the nuts before he knows he is in a fight and then running away is likely the best move for most people.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
So I started doing Gracie Ju Jitsu bout 7 months ago. I pay over $150 a month. I am so grateful that I started it and I learned a lot. The one thing I did notice though is that in a real fight there are only a handful of moves that really reliably work. I would say at the top of the list is the clinch. I recently tried some of the moves on big football players in real life and I was disappointed about how much I had to modify them. There is textbook Ju Jitsu and real life. I feel like you have to try it in real life in order to know what is bullshi*.

For example if you try the clinch the way the Gracies teach it you will get into a headlock. You have to put your head on the outside instead of the inside. Again I am so thankful I found Gracie ju jitsu but some of it needs to be modified for real life. Do you guys agree?
You really need to add muay thai to ju jitsu training so you'd have the knowledge on how to defend yourself both on your feet as well as on your back when in take down mode. Personally, my favorate move is when they throw the punch, grab their arm, turn it back, hyper-extend it and then a palm punch into the solarplex. That usually disables them enough to neutralize the situation. If you go for the throat, you could kill the person. In this day and age, the police and DA would say you used excessive force not warranted for the situation. Obviously, if your life is in danger, a sweep to knock the dude down, hyper-extend the arm to dislocate, then a swift punch to the center of the throat. If one doesn't want to do too much damage, then it can be an open jab where the space between your thumb and index finger reside to ensure neutralizing the actor, but not causing any major internal bleeding or breathing issues.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go to tactical gun range instead. Guns win everytime over some "fights going to the ground bro"