Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Job References/finding help

Goku

Don Juan
Reaction score
i am not applying at some long term career, just a part time job in retail to support college, so keep this in mind.

couple questions i have regarding job finding:

1) if you give ur prospective employer a reference (a supervisor from a previous job). what questions is the prospective employer going to ask. what if i provide a professor or volenterring reference, what questions will the employer ask about me to them?

2) is it okay to provide a reference from the job i am currently working at and would still like to work at even if i get hired by the prospective company.

3) how should i ask my supervisor for reference. ie, by asking for the store's number, his cell number, home phone? because our store opens pretty late , 7pm and i know most companies check for reference before 4pm and i am scared that the employer might not get in contact with my current supervisor.

looking forward to the replies

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
an interviewer will want you to apply and the application will ask for work history including present employer and past , it will ask for education and job qualities and it will ask for usually 3 references.

when i need to hire someone i look at the application first. is it filled out completely? did they check yes to being involved in crimes or felonies or drugs?
are they employed now? do they job hop? may i contact present and previous employers? if not , why the heck not? what was the reason for leaving their previous jobs?
do they have any job skills that can be used in my company?

if they call the other employers , they are going to ask if you were a hard worker, if you had absenteeism or tardiness, if there were any problems.
i will call them because i have hired enough people that didnt work out , not to check them all out now.

i never call personal references. people only list family or friends that will give them a good one.
now with that being said, i list previous co workers that i worked well with , and places like the electric company because i pay mybills on time if i apply anywhere.
you could list your professor as one, why not? and if you list him, you should just let him know you applied for a new job and listed him in hopes that he could give you a fair reference.

as far as the job you currently have, you need to go to your supervisor and let him know you applied for a second job, it should not interfere with your current job, and you would hope that you could still stay on and work , and that he would give you a fair reference.

Goku

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by penkitten
an interviewer will want you to apply and the application will ask for work history including present employer and past , it will ask for education and job qualities and it will ask for usually 3 references.

when i need to hire someone i look at the application first. is it filled out completely? did they check yes to being involved in crimes or felonies or drugs?
are they employed now? do they job hop? may i contact present and previous employers? if not , why the heck not? what was the reason for leaving their previous jobs?
do they have any job skills that can be used in my company?

if they call the other employers , they are going to ask if you were a hard worker, if you had absenteeism or tardiness, if there were any problems.
i will call them because i have hired enough people that didnt work out , not to check them all out now.

i never call personal references. people only list family or friends that will give them a good one.
now with that being said, i list previous co workers that i worked well with , and places like the electric company because i pay mybills on time if i apply anywhere.
you could list your professor as one, why not? and if you list him, you should just let him know you applied for a new job and listed him in hopes that he could give you a fair reference.

as far as the job you currently have, you need to go to your supervisor and let him know you applied for a second job, it should not interfere with your current job, and you would hope that you could still stay on and work , and that he would give you a fair reference.
thank for the reply penkitten.
so i am guessing for professor reference, they would ask if i come to class on time, hard working, stuff like that....you list the electric company? that's odd, but i might try that.

are they employed now? do they job hop?
i know that is a serious matter in 'career' positions, but i am just looking for a place that need ppl for the upcoming xmas season in a entry lvl retail position. just as long as i show up when they need me the most or whenever(ie, the weekend) and with them knowing that i have a second job wouldnt be a bad thing right

but one question i need answered, can i tell my future employer to call my references at specific times during the evening cause like i said, i am scared that the employer won't be able to contact my supervisor.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goku
thank for the reply penkitten.
so i am guessing for professor reference, they would ask if i come to class on time, hard working, stuff like that....you list the electric company? that's odd, but i might try that.

i know that is a serious matter in 'career' positions, but i am just looking for a place that need ppl for the upcoming xmas season in a entry lvl retail position. just as long as i show up when they need me the most or whenever(ie, the weekend) and with them knowing that i have a second job wouldnt be a bad thing right

but one question i need answered, can i tell my future employer to call my references at specific times during the evening cause like i said, i am scared that the employer won't be able to contact my supervisor.
no worries, you arent old enough for them to think you are a job hopper yet!
i know its weird to list the electric company however i pay my bill on time so i list them. believe it or not, paying your bills on time is a great reference. alot of the folks who live in my apartment complex list me as a reference because i know them and where they live and they pay their rent on time and stay outta trouble.