Why "Whatever You Want" Keeps You Single

She says the movie looks dumb; you suddenly agree. She tests you with a little attitude; you apologize for nothing.

You think you're being easy to get along with. She reads something else entirely: a man with no edges. Nothing to hold on to. No friction, no tension, no reason to wonder what he really thinks.

The "22 Rules" taught me to push back — playfully, calmly, without needing her approval. Strange things happened after that.

Read more...

I've taken it too far

evolvingnerd

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Jun 17, 2004
Messages
257
Reaction score
0
Location
Brisbane, Australia
hi fellas
i'm being a dic-head now
i take the neg-hits a little too far
for instance, this one girl who i'm just interested in being friends with (now) i always ragged on her - and a couple of times i called her outright stupid (i meant it jokingly....just teasing her cause she was always saying how lost i was in uni, and i got her at how she was repeating this course)
of course i said it smiling and i believe i sound like i'm joking
but sometimes it just gets kinda awkward
she still hangs around me, so i guess bridges aren't completley burned yet
but wtf should i do?
any tips on how to find the balance?
i read that other post by skweints but found that totally irrelevant

cheers

edit:
i read his addition and this says it quite well actually
So I figured the best thing to do was be the exact opposite. Avoid the NICE GUY syndrom at ALL COSTS. This caused me to go from the loathable nice guy to the crazy mofo jerk. And it worked!!! ... Well, enough to get me to know the girl before she got completely turned off by me for being a complete ass to her.
 

"Stop Asking Your Friends What to Text Her"

Your buddy Dave has been single for three years and thinks "hey u up" is a valid strategy. Your other buddy Mike just got dumped and told you to "just be yourself."

You showed them her text. You asked them to decode the emoji. You drafted four responses and sent the screenshot to the group chat for a vote.

She's been waiting forty minutes.

Put the phone down. Stop crowdsourcing your love life. Type something that sounds like you. Hit send. Then go do literally anything else with your evening.

Read more...

joecollapoppa

Banned
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Age
43
Location
NYC
Don't be out right insulting all the time. mix a little humor and sarcasm in too. Some days, be nice, other days be a jerk.
 

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
961
Reaction score
16
Location
Maryland
I wouldnt worry about it too much, just do as joe said. Change it up some.... I've been a complete arse to some women before and they still come back. As long as you come back with a different attitude, your straight.
 

Beethoven

Don Juan
Joined
May 1, 2004
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Location
England
This is something I'm kinda interested in too. I'm trying to be more of a jerk, but sometimes it seems like there's 'sexy' jerk behaviour and 'just plain annoying' jerk behaviour.

The only bit I think I've got figured out for sure is that you have to give them a 'rollercoaster', with highs and lows so they get the full range of emotions.

Can anyone suggest some concrete examples of good 'jerk' things to do? I had a try at being a jerk this week with a girl on MSN, I pretended to get really angry about something she said, said 'get lost' and blocked her. But I'm not sure it really drew her any closer to me. :confused:

Any thoughts?
 

“The 22 Rules That Flip the Script With Women… And How You Can Use Them Tonight”

Most guys accidentally kill attraction before they even speak. They assume they need a bigger bank account, a better physique, or smoother lines. They miss the point.

Female desire operates on a specific set of psychological triggers.  Break them, and you're invisible. Follow them, and you become magnetic.

I learned this the hard way. Years of freezing up. Getting friend-zoned. Watching other guys walk away with the girl I wanted. Then I discovered a set of 22 simple rules that rewired my entire approach.

Read more...

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Joined
Aug 4, 2002
Messages
4,366
Reaction score
8
You can't be a jerk on MSN, because it will come out as rude as nobody sees your expression.

Personally I see no point in being a jerk. If you take life lightly, get a sense of humour, you will find yourself making natural neghits which do not offend anyone.
 

Dukester

Master Don Juan
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
538
Reaction score
0
Age
40
Location
Dayton, Ohio
Ya, dont be outright a jerk dude- totally turns girls off. Let her know that your a comical type of guy, so she can expect you to be funny a lot. Also let her know that you can be serious too. Ive found out that it works to let them know you joke a lot (if ya do) cuz then they dont take rude comments, or sarcastic remarks too seriously. But, like i said, there's a time to be serious, and let her know that you arent just a joker all da time. Worked 4 me on this one girl...
 

Beethoven

Don Juan
Joined
May 1, 2004
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Location
England
Okay, I've been doing some reading around now, and I found a thread (which I've lost alerady :() that said the jerk isn't unpleasant on purpose, he just doesn't think about what people are thinking about him.

One thing that annoys me is when people don't return my calls. I always return theirs, so (I thought) what's their problem?! But now I'm starting to get the idea that sometimes just failing to respond to a call / text (for the UK people) can be a turn-on for a girl. It shows total disinterest and that they have their own lives.

So I'm trying to be a bit less 'reliable' on the phone... It doesn't come naturally, and it feels nasty, but it might just be worth it.

I think it's been said before, but I'm just starting to 'get it' now: girls aren't attracted to the 'jerk' behaviour per se, but they are attracted to what the jerk behaviour implies about that person.

Hehe, don't rely on any of this info though, cause I'm still working it out!
 

Cremasta

Master Don Juan
Joined
May 5, 2003
Messages
963
Reaction score
39
Location
Australia
A few things here caught my attention...

As for going too far with the neg-hits. Do you remember back in school when the teacher was up against obvious stupidity in a student? They couldn't outright tell you that you were stupid, they would use other words like 'silly' or 'childish'. If you want to use neg-hits, try it in a jokingly condescending tone and choice of words that your teachers might have used. It sort of implies that you look at them as a child, but you don't want to hurt their feelings because they are young and delicate. The keyword here is condescending.

Don't be a jerk. The term jerk is only used on this site because we haven't found a better one yet. What you want to be is your own man. Don't be at her beck and call, you have things to do. If you and her have different ideas about how you should spend your time, money and energy, then your idea should win every time.

I don't know about being less 'reliable' on the phone, that's the wrong way to go... simply don't commit yourself as much to making phone calls or returning them. You are busy, you have better things to do than spend an hour each day on the phone.
 

"I'm Not Looking for Anything Serious Right Now"

When a woman says it, guys hear a confession. A heads-up. A scheduling conflict.

Here's the translation: I don't feel anything. Right now. With you.

Watch what happens when a man triggers actual attraction. The busy career, the recent breakup, the "not in a place to date" — all of it evaporates instantly. The same woman who was guarding her freedom is suddenly free every night.

The "22 Rules" explain why. When the right switches flip, her timeline rearranges itself around you.

Read more...

Top