Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is raw courage mainly in our genes?

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you guys think that courage/balls/guts whatever you want to call it is a genetically inherited trait? How many people do you think start off as timid and end up being bold risk takers later in life? Part of me thinks there's an inborn predisposition to these things.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No. Courage itself isnt in our DNA. Individual temperments may result in someone to be more adventurous than others. Shyness also has an affect. I think theres a lot of stuff that goes into it, but i mainly believe its due to the environment and social peers.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only way to build up courage is through small safe steps through which you prove to yourself you can handle things that are slighlty out of your control.

People that seem naturally courageous, or risk takers, happened to have experienced a string of these events serendiptiously, based on whatever environment situation they grew up in.

Those of us that didn't have these organic experience must consciously and consistently create them until we build enough momentum. Courage is like a muscle, if you don't exercise it on a regular basis, it will become weak.

As far as genes go, the fact you are living means at the very least you carry the genes passed on by the men of thousands of generations that had what it took to survive long enough to leave kids behind.

Regardless of where you are on the shyness/courage spectrum, you got what it takes to develop whatever courage you need. Don't use genetics as an excuse to stay on the sidelines of life.

Get in the game.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
taiyuu_otoko said:
Regardless of where you are on the shyness/courage spectrum, you got what it takes to develop whatever courage you need. Don't use genetics as an excuse to stay on the sidelines of life.

Get in the game.
FYI, I wasn't applying this to me personally, I was just saying people in general.

Gaucho

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was probably one of the most shy kids I have ever seen.

When I was in my teens, I took up boxing which gave me a lot of confidence and took a LOT of courage.

As I grew and developed I pushed myself out of my comfort zones, went to Europe by myself, talked to as many girls as I could and did what I wanted to. Now I live my dream job doing what I love every day and have been with many girls most would be afraid to approach, one I have now been with and live with for 4 years. To get the job, I had to take HUGE risks and the job itself is too stressful and out there then most can handle on a day to day basis.

So no, I don't think courage comes in DNA, I had to, and still have to, push myself. One little example is as a kid, I was even too afraid to go on any fast ride at a theme park, now I would go on any and didn't even find skydiving that hard at all.

But there are definately people out there with little self worth or awareness of risk, who will just be plain stupid, wouldn't call it courage, just no clue or weight given to any decision making process.

As the guy said above though, to really develop, you have to push yourself out of your comfort zones, this will allow you to take what you want, and develop an awareness of what it truly is, that you do want. Then you just have to go out and get it.

Heart Break Kid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A lot of talk in psychology now is how the environment can activate certain genes. I'm sure most people know that things like "intelligence" or "courage" wouldn't come from one gene but could be influenced by a combination of them. If we accept the contemporary psychological perspective where a lot has to do with the environment and activation, then courage could certainly be attributed to genes in some form or another but it ultimately depends on what you do in life that "activates" courage.

Thus either way, it is your actions and beliefs that determine your courage in the end. =)

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heart Break Kid said:
A lot of talk in psychology now is how the environment can activate certain genes. I'm sure most people know that things like "intelligence" or "courage" wouldn't come from one gene but could be influenced by a combination of them. If we accept the contemporary psychological perspective where a lot has to do with the environment and activation, then courage could certainly be attributed to genes in some form or another but it ultimately depends on what you do in life that "activates" courage.

Thus either way, it is your actions and beliefs that determine your courage in the end. =)
I'm sure there has to be a connection between testosterone and bravery.

Heart Break Kid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
I'm sure there has to be a connection between testosterone and bravery.
I'm sure there is. Aristotle once said that courage is a virtue but it's on a scale between cowardice and recklessness. Let's say, for argument's sake, that testosterone makes someone more aggressive. In certain scenarios this aggressiveness might be interpreted as bravery. Through another set of eyes what, in reality, might be heroic bravery could also look like impulsiveness, being rash, faith, an indifference towards death, delusions of immortality, other mental maladies, etc.

Because of all the interpretations of bravery/courage, it's really hard to determine how directly it would be related to genes. Beliefs and attitudes and their effects on one's actions are much easier to measure and work better with the scientific method which is why things like courage usually involve a hypothesis where nature supports nurture instead of the other way around.

Gaucho

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeh, good post Heart Break.

But courage doesn't just have to be getting into a fight, it is stepping out of your comfort zone in general, which you have to do throughout your entire life, if you don't, you will always work in a boring job, be a girl that doesn't overly interest you because your too afraid of finding someone more suitable etc etc.

To truly live your life, takes courage.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think what we all believe to be "brave" or have courage when necessary in itself is a very loaded debate. Are you brave or haveing courage because you are phyisically capeable in such situations, because you were a pioneer in something no one believed in, willing to take a chance on a stock advice from a friend, or the fact that you can check your mail box everyday without the the fear of mail fraud or identity theft?

Bravery is just as arbitrary as looks in that it's the preception of who's judging you in your culture for which you decide what its brave, a wuss, fool hearty, or just insane.

I think or genetic code predisposes us for thinks like protecting our young, and fight or flight, wanting to mate etc etc. Taking chances or stepping up on one level or another is something we learn rather then something that's passed on genetically.

romangod

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

By definition "raw" courage comes from the genes. If it hasn't been practiced or learned it can only be a product of your birth. Therefore, from your genes.

Cheers!

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
romangod said:

By definition "raw" courage comes from the genes. If it hasn't been practiced or learned it can only be a product of your birth. Therefore, from your genes.

Cheers!
If you've got apes in the wild, you have the brave alpha male ape and his courage and leadership comes from his genes. I'm sure there are certain humans are were genetically destined to be powerful world leaders.

I once read something quite interesting. The question was posed, what is the single most important element that determines the success of a relationship?

Answer: Our genes. Due to the fact that our temperaments are so influenced by genetic factors. I'm even convinced that our propensity to be faithful is a large product of genes. I have some buddies who are girl crazy, and I have some who are on the other end of the spectrum. They may like girls but aren't rubbernecking and drooling at every short skirt that walks by. I think those guys are the ones that will surely be faithful in their marriages later. The ones that can't stop panting like dogs over every piece of cleavage they see are probably going to end up being the cheaters. Maybe there's genetic factors there too.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
If you've got apes in the wild, you have the brave alpha male ape and his courage and leadership comes from his genes. I'm sure there are certain humans are were genetically destined to be powerful world leaders.
Actually, apes are big pu$$ies. They live far apart so they don't fight each other. And one measure of how much of a pu$$y a particular animal is the ratio of it's balls to it's overall weight. Chimps have a much higher ratio than apes. Humans are kind of in the middle

For an excellent read on this fascinating topic, I highly recommend The Red Queen, by Matt Ridley.

Everything you wanted to know about genes and courage and sexual selection all in a fascianting overview of evolutionary history.