Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is it worth getting a second gym membership to have a social life during COVID?

BPH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Starting off, I'm 26, I'm in really great shape, and I currently work out at my personal trainer's studio gym.

The problem with this is that between this and my job I see absolutely nobody within the same generation as myself on a daily basis. My job doesn't have me interacting with anybody in person and this "gym's" clientele are mostly overweight or old/injured adults who are seeing my trainer to rehabilitate themselves.

The studio gym is nice and all in the sense that I don't really have to wait for equipment and it's usually pretty empty throughout the day, but I'm starting to get irritable because the only women I see these days are on Tinder or Bumble. With the way the bars are socially distant and required seating (at least here in Delaware) it makes it pretty impossible to meet these girls unless they have a free chair and I just sit down with them (which I'm not opposed to, just doesn't happen often).

There's a really nice gym just a few minutes away from this gym called Edge Fitness that mostly panders to people in my age bracket and often has quite a few people there at any given time. The potential downside is that with so many people I would probably have to wait for certain pieces of equipment since my routine is entirely based around supersets for each body part.

Anyway, here's the math. I pay my trainer $29 every 2 weeks when I come in to get weighed and assessed, along with a year fee of $235 I paid at the beginning of February. This other gym charges $10/mo but has 2 different $50 charges early in the membership along with $15 for some sort of other fee. That comes out to around $235 as well, then would just be $120/year after that.

I just wonder if this would be potentially worth doing, if only because I'm socially starved and don't see that changing much until COVID restrictions get lifted here.

What do you think?

Gstring

Banned
Reaction score
You can pay for a single visit and go see if you like it or not, there is even coupons to some gyms where they give you single visit free. Research your gym online for coupons - search 'gym name coupon' on google.

BPH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can pay for a single visit and go see if you like it or not, there is even coupons to some gyms where they give you single visit free. Research your gym online for coupons - search 'gym name coupon' on google.
I've visited with a friend and it is quite nice, that's how I know what I do know about it. The deal I was offered waives initial fees for a higher level of membership but that ends up costing more over the course of the year than the lower membership even with the initial fees.

Gyms are not the best social spaces because most people visit them to escape society and just have a good workout. Most women in gyms dont want to be approached, unless they are those attention seekers who wear booty shorts or extra tight leggings
Yeah I'm just looking for avenues where I can meet people. I have zero interaction with anybody in my age bracket on a day-to-day basis and I can't really approach at bars like I'm used to. So I'm just looking at this as a possible way to get some face time with people, and I'm not sure whether it's worth it for the reasons you stated. But still, without that I literally just have the dating apps.

MoMoses

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you think?
I think you're in F-ing paradise...

bars require you to sit down, you can go to the gym...

Get this.. bars and gyms have been closed since october in my country. Haven't had a decent work out in months and can't go out with my mates.

Now that I have the complaining out of my system: don't use gyms as a tool to meet people. It's annoying AF when people won't leave me along during my work out. Meeting people is something you do when going out.

Every gym has these guys who think they are at a social event. And for heaven's sake: don't hit on girls in gyms. Most don't like it. They're sweaty and don't feel comfortable nor sexy enough to be approached. Not saying you do this, but others do.

edit: Seems like I basicly repeated this guy. Seems like a smart man though

Gyms are not the best social spaces because most people visit them to escape society and just have a good workout. Most women in gyms dont want to be approached, unless they are those attention seekers who wear booty shorts or extra tight leggings

Grinderman

Banned
Reaction score
My opinion / advice /experience:

Take up a martial art. Look at it this way: in five years time if you continue with the weight training (bodybuilding?) you'll be in theory stronger/ have bigger muscles and i very much doubt you will make friends / get a social aspect out of it. Your ego will likely be calling the shots and you will possibly delude yourself into believing muscles means you can fight.

If you take up a martial art, in five years time you will have learned something new (how to fight / defend yourself/ in a non angry/aggressive way.) You'll have learned (hopefully) some values (respect, humility, ) you will walk away from trouble /fights outside as you won't operate from your ego and you won't bother with chest thumping clowns...As you will be training with the same core group and those who come and go, you will build comradeship and this can and most likely will transmit into friendship / social aspect.

My gym didn't close during the "pandemic" as there are pro fighters and exceptions were made to be able to continue training (contact sports, football etc). As I am a foreigner where I live, it's been a God send to be able to train in the mornings mon-fri in a place where I am greeted by name, there is constant banter, hard work and brotherhood. Sometimes I travel alone (I live a stone's throw away) sometimes i have lads knocking on the door on their way.......

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Honestly I think you'd be better served by getting a second part time job that requires face to face interaction. I've been lucky enough to work at one of our manufacturing facilities covering for people who were out, and it has really taken the edge off.

If it's human contact you want, better to get paid to do it than pay to be in a place where you don't get to really talk to anyone.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Starting off, I'm 26, I'm in really great shape, and I currently work out at my personal trainer's studio gym.

The problem with this is that between this and my job I see absolutely nobody within the same generation as myself on a daily basis. My job doesn't have me interacting with anybody in person and this "gym's" clientele are mostly overweight or old/injured adults who are seeing my trainer to rehabilitate themselves.

The studio gym is nice and all in the sense that I don't really have to wait for equipment and it's usually pretty empty throughout the day, but I'm starting to get irritable because the only women I see these days are on Tinder or Bumble. With the way the bars are socially distant and required seating (at least here in Delaware) it makes it pretty impossible to meet these girls unless they have a free chair and I just sit down with them (which I'm not opposed to, just doesn't happen often).

There's a really nice gym just a few minutes away from this gym called Edge Fitness that mostly panders to people in my age bracket and often has quite a few people there at any given time. The potential downside is that with so many people I would probably have to wait for certain pieces of equipment since my routine is entirely based around supersets for each body part.

Anyway, here's the math. I pay my trainer $29 every 2 weeks when I come in to get weighed and assessed, along with a year fee of $235 I paid at the beginning of February. This other gym charges $10/mo but has 2 different $50 charges early in the membership along with $15 for some sort of other fee. That comes out to around $235 as well, then would just be $120/year after that.

I just wonder if this would be potentially worth doing, if only because I'm socially starved and don't see that changing much until COVID restrictions get lifted here.

What do you think?
I say save up your money, retire early, and then LocationMax, because it's OVER in the USA. :mad:

Last edited:

rjc149

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the 15 or so years I’ve been a routine gym-goer, I’ve never met a new person — friend or lady friend — at the gym.

Now, I go to Planet Fitness because it’s cheap and adequate for my needs. That being, to work out. If you need a gym to also provide a socializing venue, I would invest in the higher-end posh gyms where younger people go to strut their stuff and participate in whatever social network that gym has via classes, trainer staff, social events etc.

Do I think that justifies $150/month as opposed to $10/month? Fvck no. But that’s just my take.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like my primary gym. I don't want to leave it. One of the downsides of having a quality primary gym is that it becomes less than ideal for doing approaches. If an interaction from your primary gym goes bad, either from a bad approach or an extended relationship formed through that gym, you'll either need to find a new gym or tolerate seeing someone you don't want to see regularly. I had to deal with tolerating seeing someone I didn't want to see as a result of a bad gym interaction. I haven't seen her since before COVID started but I had to put up with her for an extended period of time pre-COVID.

There were times pre-COVID where I took fitness classes at secondary facilities for the purpose of pickup. That an advisable strategy in a non-COVID time when masks aren't everywhere. Masks make it way more difficult to do approaches in a gym. Gym and fitness class approaching isn't easy when there isn't a pandemic, but a respiratory pandemic makes it more difficult.

I would focus on outdoor walking path approaching or street approaching. Wilmington, DE is a denser East Coast city which is better suited to the "London Daygame Model" that was based upon street approaching in densely populated London, England. Wilmington is only 30 miles from Philadelphia, which is possible for "London Daygame Model" approaching too.

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Exactly. They don't wan't to talk to you. It can happen but very rarely because they are there to train, not date.
Plus you should never shi't where you eat. ;)