Is it reasonable to charge her rent

jc_80

Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's an overview of our history and relationship dynamics.
We've known each other a long time but due to timing issues of various things we officially became involved and exclusive only three months ago. The pros are that she's goal oriented, cooks well, eats healthy, works out, educated, not argumentative, can compromise. The major con is that I do not like her 8 yr old son. He's lazy and messy, whines incessantly and ruins her mood and embarrasses her often by throwing himself on the floor like a girl, even in public.
The issue of living together has come up recently. One reason is the commuting is draining. I live south of my job. Her job is north of mine and she also lives north of her job. Another reason is that her lease is up in 6 months. She said she's been looking into places close to me.
Here's where it gets weird for me. I mentioned recently that my last mortgage payment is in four months. And she wants to finish her bachelor's degree from two years back. The campus is 10 miles south of my house.
The benefits to both of us for living together are obvious, aside from her whiney son. But this is the alarming issue for me. She said it would be great that we could save more money since there'd be no rent or mortgage payments. And she's mentioned a few times how hard it was to work and go to school and raise her son (this was mentioned before the conversation of living together).
I'm sure you all see where I'm going with this.
In addition to making her pay half the utilities, I'm toying with this idea of charging her between 1/4 and 1/2 of my mortgage payment, even though I'll no longer be paying it. I talked to my sister about this and she thinks it's selfish because my house is almost paid off so I'd just be trying to make money off her. I disagree. Think of it this way. If I prepay in full a 12 month lease for an apartment and my friend wants to live there halfway through the lease, then why wouldn't I charge him a quarter of the lease? He's reimbursing me for the rent he would be paying if I had chosen not to pay in advance. Same concept applies to my girlfriend. The dynamics are different however since she's sleeping with me and we're in a relationship where we're supposed to care for each other.
So I was thinking of telling her that I'll put her payments in a CD and if we're ever in a situation where we buy property together then I'll use the money for that purpose.
I just don't like the idea of her and her son moving into my house for a free ride to finish school and give me sex in return. I hate to reduce this to a prostitute comparison. I'm sure I'm more to her than that. I just don't want to be taken advantage of. I want to see her be responsible and maintain what attracted me to her in the first place. If she was my wife then it would be different, but she's not.

jc_80

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mauser96 said:
She would be paying rent anywhere else - why not to you?

Also, make sure you issue receipts. A guy I heard of had the same scenario with his GF. After things went south and she left, she made a claim against his house. It had appreciated by $80,000 or so....and she felt she was due half the appreciation! So she wanted him to come up with $40,000 for her.

The only thing that saved his bacon was he issued receipts and charged her rent - he was a landlord, she was a tenant in the eyes of the law.

Never underestimate the greed of a woman, especially if things go south.
Wtf? How would she be legally entitled to appreciation of an asset she doesn't legally own? That's like saying I should be entitled to a stock's appreciation because I paid for his computer and internet service to execute his trades and he took me to dinner with the dividends paid. Lol unbelievable

rocco

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I had a friend, his girlfriend paid most of his rent. while she was at work, he sat at home watching tv, etc. she was like his sugar momma

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're going to have to lay down the law with her kid, and she is going to have to be ok with that. Your relationship is headed for that conflict. There's no point in moving in together before you get that issue resolved. The child is clearly seeking limits and needs a strong male role model that he obviously does not have.

If she wants you to be a father-figure to her kid, then she has to give you equal say in disciplining him. She obviously needs help in that area. Until she gives you the authority you deserve - and you use it wisely - the three of you are never going to be happy under the same roof.

Last edited:

jc_80

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
You're going to have to lay down the lay with her kid, and she is going to have to be ok with that. Your relationship is headed for that conflict. There's no point in moving in together before you get that issue resolved. The child is clearly seeking limits and needs a strong male role model that he obviously does not have.

If she wants you to be a father-figure to her kid, then she has to give you equal say in disciplining him. She obviously needs help in that area. Until she gives you the authority you deserve - and you use it wisely - the three of you are never going to be happy under the same roof.
Agreed. We've discussed this issue. This was the reason for my last thread about possibly breaking up with her and excluding single mothers from future relationship. It's a package deal when they have kids. He's souring the package. I don't want to have to be a **** when dealing with kids. My ex had three kids and two of them were awesome kids. I didn't support them at all but would occasionally take them out for fun just because I liked them. This kid is straight sh!t lol. She's aware of this. Constantly apologizes about it.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear JC,
In this Country,and in most countries with the Old British legal system,even paying rent does not protect you...you will be up for half your Capital Appreciation since you started having a Sexual Relationship,not when she moved in...For the love of Pete don't let her pay part of the Mortgage,that makes her a Co-Owner in the eyes of the Law (Here).....as she has a dependent Child she could toss you out,Oh and over here you are liable to support both of them,she would also claim cost of housekeeping for you...Of course these would be ambit claims,here she would have no legal fees to pay,but could lead you a merry but expensive legal dance for years,while she lives in your home and garnishees your Pay..
Best Bet:Find the epicentre of her Work,Your Place,and the University...Find a reasonable apartment and maybe kick in a few bucks for the rent...Cheaper for you to meet her....Don't help her create your own Scaffold and Noose!

jc_80

Don Juan
Reaction score
Scaramouche said:
Dear JC,
In this Country,and in most countries with the Old British legal system,even paying rent does not protect you...you will be up for half your Capital Appreciation since you started having a Sexual Relationship,not when she moved in...For the love of Pete don't let her pay part of the Mortgage,that makes her a Co-Owner in the eyes of the Law (Here).....as she has a dependent Child she could toss you out,Oh and over here you are liable to support both of them,she would also claim cost of housekeeping for you...Of course these would be ambit claims,here she would have no legal fees to pay,but could lead you a merry but expensive legal dance for years,while she lives in your home and garnishees your Pay..
Best Bet:Find the epicentre of her Work,Your Place,and the University...Find a reasonable apartment and maybe kick in a few bucks for the rent...Cheaper for you to meet her....Don't help her create your own Scaffold and Noose!
Lol oh hell no I'm not paying for sh!t. She's not my wife.
She wouldn't be living with me until the house is paid off in 4 months.
I'm finding it hard to believe she would be entitled to sh!t. Makes no sense. My house. Not married.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is how you handle the situtation;

don't let her move in. You're in a zero sum game if you let her move in now. If you move in and try to charge her rent she's going to get pissy. She just is. Hell that is the point of moving in.

If you move her in and you don't charge her rent she's at best, going to get lazy about the money and at worst, find ways to spend the money that you are now saving because well it's her house now too.

You can't win. So don't fall for the bait.

This is a bridge you cross when you know that you are ready to start a future with her. Tell her you aren't comfortable with her moving in just yet. Not that you won't ever be, just not now. If she laves, it wasn't meant to be and you know how she was viewing you. If she sticks it out for a half year and doesn't complain you might have something

I moved my then GF in with me when I found out she was pregnant with my son. I had some of the same reservations that you had but at the same time by this time I had pretty much in the back of my mind knew where we were heading.

Blargh

Don Juan
Reaction score
You need to research common-law laws in your state/province/country. In most Canadian provinces it's 2 years, but if a child is involved, it can be much shorter. Regardless of who the father is. Considering a kid is involved, I would research the laws or get a lawyer's opinion.

Obviously, you know her better than I, but I would be concerned about being used. She stands to gain a lot from moving in with you, especially at no cost as she envisions. She can afford to go to school with your resources and likely plans on you sharing the responsibilities of parenting the child.
I would also consider division of chores and other extra household expenses. Adding two people, including a child who is unlikely to contribute to chores, the workload is going to shoot up in your home. Is she expecting a 50/50 split while she goes to school and pays no rent?
Unless you serious consider her, and her son, to be marriage material, do not let her move in. The chances of being used and abused is too high.
I'd explore the option of a nearby apartment, as mentioned by Scaramouche. Call it a **** test for her. If she values you, she will make it work. If she only values your resources, cut your loses. Once they are in the house, it hard to get them out, especially with a child.

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When the kid needs braces.... WE need to get him braces.

When the boy is acting up and you discipline him.... YOU can't talk to MY son THAT way. ASK me how I know....

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MOST men have NO idea how MERCENARY a woman can be. The woman I've talked about { after she dropped ME... who would do me whenever she was pissed with her live in boyfriend} has been texting me more lately.... I THINK she's looking for an "out" from her marriage. The fool married her. Well, she has told me they don't have sex and she needs to make it 2 more years {when her daughter is out of high School} and then she will Divorce him....

Of course, she's gained 50 lbs since we dated.....

MOTU

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jc_80, my GF has young kids too so I think about this sh!t a lot. It hasn't come up in our relationship but I am sure it will at some point it will.

I think giving her a free ride is a bad deal all around. My theory is, if you don't make someone earn what you provide them, eventually they will lose respect for you for being a chump and then resent you for the fact that they are dependent on you, a chump.

So if you are gonna move her in, make it clear to her what benefit YOU expect to get out of it. And make sure she is committed to providing that benefit. Example: I think you moving in is a good idea so we can share expenses and I can increase my retirement savings. Or, I think you moving in is a good idea so I can spend less time commuting and have more time to do my woodworking hobby.

What about having her pay all of the utilities? You could agree to pay for property taxes, insurance and repairs, she provides utilities including internet.

I know a married couple where they both contribute a certain amount to a "household" joint checking account and then each keep the rest in their own separate account.

Donnie Darko

Don Juan
Reaction score
WTF is everyone talking about? This is easy.

You never date a single mom exclusively unless you are a single dad.

You never move in with any girl you are dating unless you get married to her.

Oh wait, she is different and special (roll eyes) so you are going to ignore the advice of not dating a single mom and not moving in with a girl that you are dating. Based on the history, there is a high probability that you will regret it.

If you still decide to consider moving in with her, then you should realize that it is way too soon for you to be moving in with her. You shouldn't even consider living with a girlfriend until you have been dating at least a year. You are still in the honey moon phase and she has been on her best behavior trying to impress you.

If you still decide to move her in with you, then you charge her fair market value for living expenses and that is due to you on the 1st of each month. Make sure you discuss all of this with her before she moves in. I guarantee that she will not like it and even if she tells you that she is ok with it she will complain to friends and family and after she moves in then after a few months she will start coming up with reasons why she can't pay her share of the living expenses. Remember....she told you that she was planning on going back to school. She has a kid. Speaking of her kid...she is going to want you to start paying your share of his living expenses (food, rent, healthcare, entertainment, clothing, etc.)

Basically, if you ignore the advice about not letting a single mom move in with you, then you will at best try to start charging her for her share of living expenses and then she will eventually not pay and you will actually be paying even more expenses for her and her son than you will ever take in.

I don't think I understand why you told her anything about your finances or when your mortgage was going to be paid off. You do not benefit by disclosing this information to her and she will certainly use this information to her advantage to guilt trip you and manipulate you into paying for her and her son because "you have more money" and "you are better off", etc., etc.

The extra $500 - $700 per month that you might gain from her paying her share of living expenses if she actually even pays them is not worth sacrificing your freedom for.

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't get suckered into this, listen to the guys above who've been burned. For one, she's got a brat kid and you'll never be able to discipline him as if he's your own, as sodbuster said. Second, she wants a free ride. At the least, charge her rent with receipts and a signature on each transaction. If she asks why, tell her it's in case you two have a falling out in the future. Her reaction to this will speak volumes, gauge it. Finally, why the fvck wouldn't you want to just enjoy your paid-off house in peace!???

Keep you life simple, man. Don't screw it up when things are looking up for you financially.

Good luck.

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jc_80 said:
The major con is that I do not like her 8 yr old son. He's lazy and messy, whines incessantly and ruins her mood and embarrasses her often by throwing himself on the floor like a girl, even in public.
Don't do it.

This reason will be magnified times A THOUSAND.

Don't move in with her. Let her solve her own problems and take care of her own problems. Trust me, you are in for a WORLD OF HURT if you two move in together. DON'T. DON'T. DON'T.

Sik

Don Juan
Reaction score
jc_80,

Where do you live? The country and state would be helpful so that members who have been in those situations an locations can offer relevant advice.

jc_80

Don Juan
Reaction score
The U.S. It's a community property state. So even if you're married, one spouse is entitled to asset appreciation of the other spouse's pre-marital property but only the appreciation occuring after the marriage began. Again, we're not married though. I would think that any common law marraige arising from the arrangement would be years in the making. If I didn't feel ultimately she was what I wanted in a wife, I'd be sure to move her out before that criteria was met. So I'm not too concerned about that part right now. Thanks for bringing this up though. I actually hadn't considered this lol.

I'm mostly wondering others' opinions on charging her rent. I work hard for and appreciate what I earn. I have what I have because I budget and invest. I don't like the idea of someone getting a free ride. Yet she's my girlfriend. So there's that expectation and desire to show more compassion.

She wouldn't be moving in for at least six months anyway. So I have time to think. I just know that once you go down this road there's no regressing without ruining a relationship. I'd like to have her here but then again I'd like her to leave sometimes too, if I want some space lol. When I was married I'd get a hotel room once in a while just to be alone. It really made my wife insecure.

Throwing my girlfriend's son into the mix definitely is the main con to me. Expenses like braces and back to school clothes will be paid out of her pocket from her earnings and his father's child support. I won't waiver on this issue, married or not. Sure I'll take him out places with us and buy presents, but anything specifically identifiable to him is not my responsibility, such as "Davey needs lunchables for school, he won't eat anything else so please pick some up at the store". Nope! I'm just not going to be a 2nd source of child support.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No way I would let her move in, with that many red flags. What she's basically saying is that she wants to mooch off of you. You are rationalizing doing this by hoping to charge her rent. Do you really think that will work? H*ll no.

Unfortunately it seems you have discussed this issue with her ad nauseum thus, if you do not do it, it will f*ck up the relationship. I guess it comes down to a simple choice.

My advice: Drop the whole thing. If you do not like the kid, DON'T BECOME HIS FATHER. I cannot stress that enough. Put aside your own selfish actions (wanting the p*ssy) and do the right thing, for the boy. Go your separate ways and give him a fighting chance of becoming a decent human, not always hearing his mother get pounded on every night. Get a new woman.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jc_80 said:
jc_80, my woman pays my entire mortgage payment, and all the bills.
:cool:

Yes, it's reasonable to charge rent, and split bills. ƒuck, make her pay all the bills, in addition to rent: you paid for the entire house, after all.

Don't feel bad. If you are going to get married somewhere down the road, she'll have paid in her 50% that she'll take in the divorce. Consider whatever moneys she pays in as a "deposit", "retainer", or "early termination fee".

There is no reason to give her any sort of free ride, regardless of what she feels she's entitled to. Or, change your name to sugardaddy_80 or SaveAHo_80 and give her the free ride, it's your call.

YawataNoKami

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jc_80 said:
Here's an overview of our history and relationship dynamics.
We've known each other a long time but due to timing issues of various things we officially became involved and exclusive only three months ago. The pros are that she's goal oriented, cooks well, eats healthy, works out, educated, not argumentative, can compromise. The major con is that I do not like her 8 yr old son. He's lazy and messy, whines incessantly and ruins her mood and embarrasses her often by throwing himself on the floor like a girl, even in public.
The issue of living together has come up recently. One reason is the commuting is draining. I live south of my job. Her job is north of mine and she also lives north of her job. Another reason is that her lease is up in 6 months. She said she's been looking into places close to me.
Here's where it gets weird for me. I mentioned recently that my last mortgage payment is in four months. And she wants to finish her bachelor's degree from two years back. The campus is 10 miles south of my house.
The benefits to both of us for living together are obvious, aside from her whiney son. But this is the alarming issue for me. She said it would be great that we could save more money since there'd be no rent or mortgage payments. And she's mentioned a few times how hard it was to work and go to school and raise her son (this was mentioned before the conversation of living together).
In addition to making her pay half the utilities, I'm toying with this idea of charging her between 1/4 and 1/2 of my mortgage payment, even though I'll no longer be paying it. I talked to my sister about this and she thinks it's selfish because my house is almost paid off so I'd just be trying to make money off her. I disagree. Think of it this way. If I prepay in full a 12 month lease for an apartment and my friend wants to live there halfway through the lease, then why wouldn't I charge him a quarter of the lease? He's reimbursing me for the rent he would be paying if I had chosen not to pay in advance. Same concept applies to my girlfriend. The dynamics are different however since she's sleeping with me and we're in a relationship where we're supposed to care for each other.
So I was thinking of telling her that I'll put her payments in a CD and if we're ever in a situation where we buy property together then I'll use the money for that purpose.
I just don't like the idea of her and her son moving into my house for a free ride to finish school and give me sex in return. I hate to reduce this to a prostitute comparison. I'm sure I'm more to her than that. I just don't want to be taken advantage of. I want to see her be responsible and maintain what attracted me to her in the first place. If she was my wife then it would be different, but she's not.
More red flags than a Chinese military parade.