Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is It possible to workout and Party @ the same time?

Solomon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What I mean is

When you workout you shouldn't have a drink or keep it to a minium. I know that giving your body rest is very important but is it possible to workout and Party at the sametime? or should one just be focused on working out until he reaches his/her goal?

honesty is apperciated

Rampage1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive been trying to do it for years wuth little to no progress but it can be done..its still better than partying and not working out

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I went 3 years w/o touching alcohol. Then I started to introduce it somewhat as I went on vacations...keep it straight alcohol,shots,and you wont gain weight. Don't abuse the privilege though.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by partying...and it depends on how serious you are about progress.

Having a few beers is one thing, but going out every friday and saturday and getting hammered is another. The more you drink the more it will interfere with your gains. Moderation is key. You don't have to a monk, but watch your frequency. If you're trying to get lean, don't drink beer. If you're trying to get big and strong, don't get hammered. Limit your EtOH intake to a few drinks per week.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good replies from blink and colossus. I partied for several months at one point in my life and remained in the best shape of my life (aesthetically speaking). This was accomplished by the use of AAS. My activity level was high, as I had 2-3 shows a week, and would jam out at clubs 1-2 times a week on top of that. My diet sucked, but I tried to get as much protein in as I could, and I continued to train hard.

I did not drink excessively. My drug of choice was weed, and I was high pretty much 24-7. I think I went something like almost 2 years w/o getting plastered... I did however indulge in other party drugs.

Like these guys are saying, if you're training for aesthetics and trying to stay lean, stay away from beer!!! Beer and abs DO NOT mix! Even now, sometimes I'll wanna get a small buzz before stagettes and I'll just drink vodka straight out of the bottle. A small amount of hard liquor will help you get buzzed w/o adding the extra calories and bloat.

Nexxus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I party all the time (3x/week on avg), but I don't drink.

Don't drink and you'll be fine.

cuzza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in university now and going out and getting hammered (seriously hammered) on average 4 nights a week. I'm struggling to get to the gym as I hate training the day after a drink (zero performance) and I have little time with football (or soccer) training, lectures/studying and going out.

What I've found is that I'm not putting on any more fat, I'm simply not progressing properly in the gym. However, my diet is better than it was at home (sooo much chicken, haha) and I'm classing my gym time here as being simply maintaining my strength overall. This is occuring well, with specific exercises even actually progressing.

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some people react differently.

I can stay in pretty good shape drinking on weekends as long as I hit the gym 4 - 5x a week. Some guys have the motivation to do this, some guys don't. I find getting in a routine is the best way to go about it.

I'm glad no one has really chastised you for asking this question. On some forums this question is FORBIDDEN aka 'YOU DRINK? ARE YOU STUPID? YOU WILL NOT GET GAINS!'

I personally think this is idiotic.. let's be serious; what's the point in hitting the gym all the time for a great body if you can't have fun with it?

It's called meathead status. These pr1cks are so obsessed with their figure and the gym that they don't even know how to have fun. Whenever they hear of someone else having fun, they CHASTISE you for it since they don't know how to themselves. Pathetic if you ask me.

Anywho, you may find it interesting that I get MORE pvssy when I stay out the gym and go out more often.. I know it's off topic, but it's also interesting, hence all these guys hitting the gym to get women, but the truth of the matter is; it's not the brick bodies that get women, but the men who go out and meet women day in and day out and become comfortable.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WC2 said:
I'm glad no one has really chastised you for asking this question. On some forums this question is FORBIDDEN aka 'YOU DRINK? ARE YOU STUPID? YOU WILL NOT GET GAINS!'
Yup, it's called T-NATION. Great website but the forum is a bunch of inflated elitist d!cks. :rolleyes:

And you are right, being out there in the field (places where people go to have fun and socialize) is going to net a guy more prospects and lays than spending all your time in the gym and in the kitchen. The gym is a place for WORK, not meeting chicks.

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally, I've made the decision to cut out alcohol completely, Ive not had a drink now for 6 weeks and dont plan to drink in the foreseeable future.

I've still been going out plenty to pubs and bars and house party's and what not, and Im slowly getting used to socializing without alcohol. Its not as bad as I thought it would be.

Alcohol will harm your fitness, but in moderation you can get away with it if drinking is important to you. Personal choice at the end of the day. There are up sides and down sides to drinking, only you can weigh them up.

Cure.

muscleman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As others said, depends on what you mean by party. I'm very serious about my training, but I still go out every Friday/Saturday night. I keep it down to 3 beers/night, so 6 beers/week.

Your body can't synthesize protein while it's processing alcohol, not to mention all the other negative side effects of copious consumption. If you get smashed twice a week and then deal with hangovers on top of that, you're not going to see very much progress at all. Drink in moderation if you're going to drink. The other benefit is it costs you less $ and you become a bit of a lightweight. I loosen up after 1 beer and feel a good buzz after 3. I'm ok with that :rockon:

white sox bill

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Its quite the fine line here, and I've been walking it since my first BB competition in 1984. I found out that when I got high a lot, my diet when to hell(via the munchies) so did my self-discipline. But when I kept myself contained to 1-2 beers per weekend, only clubbing ONE night per week, it had no effect. Try drinking Vodka as there is little sugar in it. We all know what sugar does to our physiques.

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
Yup, it's called T-NATION. Great website but the forum is a bunch of inflated elitist d!cks. :rolleyes:

And you are right, being out there in the field (places where people go to have fun and socialize) is going to net a guy more prospects and lays than spending all your time in the gym and in the kitchen. The gym is a place for WORK, not meeting chicks.
Haha, funny I was thinking of T-Nation and Anabolic Minds.. they're a bunch of nazis over there, even though the forums have priceless information.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
muscleman said:
I prefer beer. It's easier to babysit and comparable calories to liquor per alcohol volume. And it tastes good.
Ethyl alcohol (EtOH) is around 7.0 calories/g. Beer may have 3.5-7% alcohol by volume but it also has a ton of other metabolites produced from the fermentation process that contain calories and can cause issues w/ the hormonal regulation of metabolism.

Its not an issue for you, because you drink moderately and are very active, but for the average dude who drinks more than you and leads a sedentary life style this translates to a beer gut...

This is why I prefer vodka, rum, anything w/ at least 35% EtOH per volume. I'm getting the same amount of EtOH by volume, w/o all the other metabolites in beer. I only typically drink before shows now so I'm more social, etc, and I can't down a few beers before getting on stage as I would look bloated and sloshy w/ close to a litre of fluid sitting in my stomach. A few shots of vodka will have the same effect from an inebriation standpoint, and are much easier to get down w/ less calories.

Pie in the Sky

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree with doing shots over drinking beer if you are concerned about gaining weight. 1 shot contains about 100 calories, average beer contains about 150 calories (of course this varies wildly), but which do you think are you going to drink faster and in larger quantities? I don't really see any benefit over the other. You can also look at mixed drinks. A Long Island has over 500 calories in it. You aren't going to save calories that way either. If you are serious about working out you just won't be able to drink every week. No way around it unless you juice.

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pie in the Sky said:
I don't necessarily agree with doing shots over drinking beer if you are concerned about gaining weight. 1 shot contains about 100 calories, average beer contains about 150 calories (of course this varies wildly), but which do you think are you going to drink faster and in larger quantities? I don't really see any benefit over the other. You can also look at mixed drinks. A Long Island has over 500 calories in it. You aren't going to save calories that way either. If you are serious about working out you just won't be able to drink every week. No way around it unless you juice.
Shot of Vodka = 64 Calories.

Vodka & Diet = 64 Calories

Beer = 150+ calories

I'll take a Vodka & Diet or Vodka & Tonic when I go out.

Beer on occasion (even though I love drinking beer).

horaholic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Scotch or whiskey and water: 82 calories. Tastes like shyt, in my opinion though, but might be worth acquiring the taste.

BTW, vodka and diet is more than 62 calories.

This is interesting here:

According to conventional wisdom, the infamous "beer belly" is caused by excess alcohol calories being stored as fat. Yet, less than five percent of the alcohol calories you drink are turned into fat. Rather, the main effect of alcohol is to reduce the amount of fat your body burns for energy.

Some evidence for this comes from research carried in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition [4]. Eight men were given two drinks of vodka and sugar-free lemonade separated by 30 minutes. Each drink contained just under 90 calories. Fat metabolism was measured before and after consumption of the drink.

For several hours after drinking the vodka, whole body lipid oxidation (a measure of how much fat your body is burning) dropped by a massive 73%.

Rather than getting stored as fat, the main fate of alcohol is conversion into a substance called acetate. In fact, blood levels of acetate after drinking the vodka were 2.5 times higher than normal. And it appears this sharp rise in acetate puts the brakes on fat loss.

A car engine typically uses only one source of fuel. Your body, on the other hand, draws from a number of different energy sources, such as carbohydrate, fat, and protein. To a certain extent, the source of fuel your body uses is dictated by its availability.

In other words, your body tends to use whatever you feed it. Consequently, when acetate levels rise, your body simply burns more acetate, and less fat. In essence, acetate pushes fat to the back of the queue.

So, to summarize and review, here's what happens to fat metabolism after the odd drink or two.

* A small portion of the alcohol is converted into fat.
* Your liver then converts most of the alcohol into acetate.
* The acetate is then released into your bloodstream, and replaces fat as a source of fuel.

The way your body responds to alcohol is very similar to the way it deals with excess carbohydrate. Although carbohydrate can be converted directly into fat, one of the main effects of overfeeding with carbohydrate is that it simply replaces fat as a source of energy. That's why any type of diet, whether it's high-fat, high-protein, or high-carbohydrate, can lead to a gain in weight.
http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/blog/alcohol-calories

What do you guys make of this. To me, it sounds like if youre somewhat skinny, booze aint gonna make you fat, but if you have a fat problem, its gonna make it way worse. I drink a LOT of beer, but I am very lean, except for a beergut. I've had my beergut since I was twelve though, before I started drinking. Anyway, according to those calorie charts, I, (and all my friends) should be straight up sumo's by how much we drink.