Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is Gordon Ramsay a good example of dominant frame?

Tilex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
On his show Kitchen Nightmares, he goes into restaurants going downhill and gives them a strong reality check and revamps their system to improve business.

The way I see this show is how he's entering in an already established frame created by the restaurant owners and inserting his own frame onto them.
In certain episodes I've seen owners or head chefs try to come above Gordon and he puts his foot down by pointing out all their flaws, tells them he's going to leave and not help them anymore, or completely ignores them and only communicates with the other employees.
Eventually they cave in and realize his efforts to help them are really genuine.
Their frame eventually becomes his frame by the end of the show.

Do you think Gordon Ramsay has a good frame to study upon?

MoreThanSmooth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WHERE'S THE LAMB SAAAAAAUUUCE?!

I think to some extent he is an impressive masculine presence. But he can also be borderline abusive and short tempered, which I don't think is something to look up to.

Screaming obscenities at people should be a last resort, not something you do in every conversation.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Screaming obscenities at people should be a last resort, not something you do in every conversation.
If someone hires you for your professional opinion and then ignores all your advice, wouldn't you want to yell at them as well?

In all the episodes I've watched, I have never found his temper to be misplaced

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If someone hires you for your professional opinion and then ignores all your advice, wouldn't you want to yell at them as well?

In all the episodes I've watched, I have never found his temper to be misplaced
Cooking Chief are borderline psychopath / Narcissistic and live constantly on a "fast-furious" space.

They also have to be "10 on 10 perfect" in chaotic environment. Also, they are massively competitive market, you always have to be the TOPplace and reputation is everything (gotta keep your rating and keep people coming).... average restaurant life span is 6months at all level

A lot of cooks from "super high-end 300$ a plate restauran, 5 star michelin" ends up leaving to create a casual pub (where the food is high end but cost 20$) because they are sick of the pressure - Paris in France is a great example of this.

Gordon Ramsay would be a dictator and alpha dominant. He would get all the women looking for a strong alpha dominant man... wet.

However, he is likely a coach potato at home after :p and his business behaviour, those in business will understand... is likely to transcend at home.
He must be unlivable

Still he shows what a man in power can do when you are a SMV and Top 1% in your field

stovepipe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What are you? An idiot sandwich!!

malz1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
No. He's in a structured environment where his authority has already been assumed. In a normal environment he would get his ass handed to him if we're saying Natural Alpha = aggressive leader or something. He's more like an artificial corporate alpha in the aggressive is alpha sense. At least on TV. Though off-screen he could very well be the 'real deal' but I doubt it. You people who think all Alphas must be very dominant etc are probably the ones that put on a tough act in the bar.

EDITED

Last edited:

Serenity

Reaction score
His frame is rock solid, no doubt about that. He does it in the interest of helping others though (and a bit for the show), that's important to point out. You can't pull this sh!t with purely selfish intentions.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Look folks. It's reality TV right? That means it's purpose is entertainment and viewership & selling advertising. Gordon Ramsay is entertaining with his temper. He is a character playing a role for the show & businesses that participate in the show know he is going to yell because his yelling sells (for the purposes of the show.)

Now that isn't to say he isn't domineering off set as well but I assure you his outbursts are more tempered beyond the protections of the show.

I'm certain participants of the show have to sign legal agreements not to sue Gordon or the show for harassment or verbal abuse & the like since Gordon's antics are the big draw to the viewer.

So it's a somewhat misleading thing. Normal business people don't operate that way day in & day out. He's in the reality TV "bubble" and his purpose is to entertain. And he does that very well.

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Living in NOLA I know a lot of chiefs. Paul Prudhomme, when he was alive was a good friend, and Besh and I have worked on a number of projects together assisting veterans interested in culinary arts. In addition, I worked in kitchens as a Chef de Partie when I was in college. The kind of things you see Ramsey doing on his shows happens a lot in kitchens. There is very little tolerance for failure after you have been trained. The show really only shows him when he blows up... and he blows up quite a bit in his shows, mostly because the people he is working with really don't know what they are doing. Often times I have wondered if they set people up on these shows just to see what happens... because really... many of the mistakes you see people make is just inexcusable.

When you are sending an order to a table, all the food is supposed to be timed so that it all goes out at once. EVERYONE has to work together and communicate so everyone knows when to start on what their part of the order is. There is NOTHING more aggravating then having to toss out $50 worth of steaks and seafood because some dumb@ss forgot to cook broccoli, because you can't have meat sitting around getting cold waiting 10 minute for that vegetable to cook.

It usually doesn't get that bad like you see on "Hell's Kitchen", with the chef cursing and screaming at cooks, because typically you would never have cooks that make the kinds of stupid mistakes like they do on that show. But yes... it does happen and if you are working in a high end restaurant EVERY new cook gets screamed at and and abused... and if you can't take it then you wash out... or you learn and everything is fine. Ramsey's reactions to some of the mistakes I've seen on his shows is typical.... but like I said, you normally don't see that many mistakes in a professional kitchen.

What you don't see on the shows, is the boring stuff.... the menu review and the rehearsal for dinner meals. High end places will have 4 main meals, 3-4 appetizers, 2 or 3 deserts. And the chef goes over the sequence of what is supposed to happen when. Then you rehearse what you will do when orders come in for various meals. They even go over back-up plans if they run out of something. My guess is that in the interest of making things 'interesting' they either do not do rehearsals, or half-@ss them, because the truth is working in a well run professional kitchen is actually quite dull.

NSX-R

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was a trainer in the military for 3 months before i finish my military service . Only the best of each division become trainers and it's very honorable to become one . Anyway .

When you are a trainer , you have to be cold blooded, zero tolerance and make your students do what you teach them perfectly and do many other shyt you want them to do without taking it as a joke , or asking about your authority.

How to do that . You know your power , your high position , your zero tolerance and the consequences of not obeying your orders . The students know this as well and to do that it has to be established at your first encouter with them . Policemen and many other authorities work the same way .

Gordon ramsay works in the same patern . He knows his power ,his knowledge and the consequences it might cause when the others don't follow what he says . The owner and the workers of the restaurant know this aswell because of the fame gordon ramsay already has . This is how things work . This is how you keep your frame .

First encounter with every individual is the most important because that's the only time when someone is going to decide if you're just a loser or somebody who goes he way and expect things to happen accordingly.

There was also a book talking about this topic , can't remember it at the moment.

logicallefty

Reaction score
I had a guy like that in police academy who liked to yell at people to get his point across. I didn't respect his style but I respected him for his knowledge and what he was teaching me. He could have yelled a lot less and got his same point across though, at least for me.

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He seems to wear loads of makeup these days. Which should remind us, it's just entertainment.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very little of what you see on TV is an example of a real frame. Even reality tv shows, or even Youtube vids.

You only see what they've chosen for you to see.

To REALLY see a real and dominant frame it has be organic and spontaneous, and in as many different situations as possible.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Ridiculous notions of dominant personality.

100% no.

He's weak. Displays weakness typical of a junior supervisor that's learning the ropes of leadership.

Given an opportunity, I would easily break him emotionally.

What you guys view as his strength is actually his ability to let loose his emotions; anger/hate/impatience.

But what you all don't realise is that those emotions is easily controlled by others. No dominant man or Alpha would ever succumb so easily to their emotions. If you r easily emotional then you will be easy to manipulate.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well he may be alpha or not in reality, but his aggression is strictly showmanship for ratings.
If you've ever seen the British version of Kitchen Nightmares, Ramsay's demeanor is much calmer. So it's pretty clear that he ups the aggression for the US audience.

Ramsay is unquestionably an alpha male though, in the real sense of the word. He demands competence and discipline from his staff, he is the unquestioned leader in the kitchen, and he owns a restaurant in London with three Michelin stars, so he is at the top of his profession. You can add in his fame as a celebrity and television star if you want. He also boxes as a hobby and has a black belt in karate, for those who think he should be easily beaten up.

It's funny that guys on here will claim to be an alpha male because they've read some PUA tips, but will deny that someone like Ramsay is when he actually has all the qualifications.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
It's funny that guys on here will claim to be an alpha male because they've read some PUA tips, but will deny that someone like Ramsay is when he actually has all the qualifications.
I am a 3rd dan black belt holder, achieved it in my late teens, anyone with a modicum of effort can easily achieved that level within 5 years but that doesn't make me a master, fact is, a good street fighter could easily knock me off...then.

Let's get back on topic.

I will explain how I know for certain Ramsay is not a dominant male.

I will use myself as an example and comparison in how I conduct myself vs Ramsay loudness.

1. I convey my resolve and power through deliberate silence.

2. In chaos, I am silent not because I hv nothing to say but because I don't need to fill the air with screams, shouts, words of anger. I project calmness and serenity, thereby dominating.

3. I often use silence to be in charge and collect my thoughts. Silence exhibits control.

4. I can throw a person off balance just by being silent in their presence, they hv no idea what I'm thinking. I am in control. I hv power.

5. And when I do talk, my voice is deep, calm, measured to convey credibility. Having such strong measured confident voice are respected.

Of course there's more then just silence in a dominant male but that's for another thread.

Before I end this;

Now try to think of your experiences with dogs.

A truly powerful dominant male dog would just lie on his stomach, watching you approach his gate, neither growling nor barking unless you cross his boundaries. Is that not the typical response?

Whilst a weaker dog, such as a poodle will likely start barking and excitedly starts running around - even as you approach his gate. Is that not the typical response?

The only sure fire way to know a dominant male is by looking at his eyes. I know one when I see one.

The noisy ones r just wannabes.