Is getting your hair dyed/coloured/bleached gay?

Wanderer*

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wot you guys reckon?
Cause a couple of girls (who didnt know eachother) have said my hair would look a heap better if i dyed/coloured/bleached my hair dark brown (cause its kinda lightish-brown at the moment).

Also, another question, wats the diff between dying, colouring, bleaching hair? I just don't get it...*whoosh* (over my head).

Thanks dudes

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try it!
Then try going shaved head!
Mixing it up is good.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends on whether you're going to have the carpet match the drapes.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its only gay if it seems like you're paying too much attention to dying it (like once a month or something) and making all fancy (like streaks). I dye it after every hair cut.

Bleaching is a harsher chemical treatment, I don't reccomend it. If you leave it in too long, it'll turn your hair blonde. Just get some hair dye. It'll have a women on the box, but it works for guys too. If you have really dark hair, you may have to get a blond hair dye in order for your hair to turn brown.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you smoothie. The only thing that is gay is getting fresh with another guy.

Highlighting - Getting lighter 'streaks' in your hair. Some are subtle, some are not. There are often different shades of blonde, sometimes lighter brown.

Dying - The whole thing gets colored

Bleaching - It ends up looking blond as f*ck. Think...Eminem. His hair looks bleached.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Who cares if someone thinks "that's gay". Truth is most of the time when I thought that growing up about someone they almost always had a girlfriend.

TheVirtualMind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Like Smoothie said, it's only gay if you are gay.

If it is light brown and you want it dark brown, that requires color. If you get it dyed, that is more of the female trend you see with a blonde girl with the bottom of her hair black, or most black girls with blonde/gold or red in thier hair.

Bleach will do just that...Bleach your hair (aka: Slim Shady)

Color will...Well, give you color, be it highlights (lighter shade) or lowlights (what you want...Darker shade.)

Enjoy and just make sure you have a suitable hair style. Not everyones hair style is meant for any type of hair color alteraction.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you talk to the person doing your hair, or go to a hairstyling school, chances are they'll be willing to help you out instead of you just slapping some sh*t in your hair.

Wanderer*

Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
If you talk to the person doing your hair, or go to a hairstyling school, chances are they'll be willing to help you out instead of you just slapping some sh*t in your hair.
Do you or anyone know about or have tried the men's haircolour sh!t? Ive seen the women's hair colour stuff plenty of times but a few weeks ago when i was buying deoderant i saw hair colouring boxes with a guys face on it instead of the usual woman's. Anyone tried this?

And also would it really make a difference between whether you let a hairdresser do it or if you do it yourself (according to the box's instructions?) :crazy:

Thanks heaps

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll be right back. I've gotta go to the front page and see if someone has played a trick on us and changed the URL to www.iVillage.com....

cuzza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wanderer* said:
Do you or anyone know about or have tried the men's haircolour sh!t? Ive seen the women's hair colour stuff plenty of times but a few weeks ago when i was buying deoderant i saw hair colouring boxes with a guys face on it instead of the usual woman's. Anyone tried this?

And also would it really make a difference between whether you let a hairdresser do it or if you do it yourself (according to the box's instructions?) :crazy:

Thanks heaps
Yep I use them... ''Just For Men''. It's marketed towards guys who are greying, but I use it because I've naturally got a blonde bit of hair towards the front of my head. The scalp under it is like that of an albino I'm told. So I just dye it dark brown, my natural hair colour.

I get my cousin to do it. She used to be a hairdresser.

stuartSan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm an educator in the hairdressing industry, and though I do have some knowledge (it's my bread and butter), do take my advice with a grain of salt.

Coloring = Also known as dyeing your hair. Color is deposited into hair. Think painting your walls.

Highlights / Lowlights = Adding streaks, or slices, or patches of color to your head. Highlights mean brighter colors and lowlights mean darker colors. Think slapping brighter/darker patterns to your newly painted walls.

Bleach = Breaking the color pigments in your hair into smaller pieces so that your natural base becomes brighter. In short, REMOVING color from your hair, not DEPOSITING. Think pouring bleach on colored fabrics.

A hairdresser would probably balance out the application by applying last on the roots, because that part tends to absorb color quicker. So if you're going for a drastic change in terms of lightness, then go to a hairdresser.

If the color is not too different, or if you plan to go darker, then doing at home should be okay. Just get someone to do the back of your head for you.

Lastly, I know a lot of SERIOUSLY gay looking guys (tight clothes, shaved eyebrows, etc.) in the hair industry who pull mighty fine chicks. You can look whatever you want so long you don't hit on guys.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wanderer* said:

Thanks heaps

Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it doesn't. When I had shaggy hair, I got it highlighted. Used the stuff out of the box. The first time, it looked good, the 2nd time, looked like sh*t.