Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is approaching any different when women are wearing masks?

CollegeMan22

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a college freshman and I have a question about approaching women with masks on. My college does not require that you wear them and there are very little cases of COVID, but even so probably 85% of women wear masks outside and 95% wear them inside. There is no need to wear them any more, but I cultivate my independence by not giving a **** about wearing them wherever I go.

When I approach women with masks on, I find reading their facial cues to be difficult. Judging their facial attractiveness is also hard. I can't see if they smile when making eye contact, so it is more of a challenge to judge their interests. Any advice for helping with these difficulties?

oldmanofthesea

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not really. In the last three or four years, every single girl (except one) I dated or slept with, I had met via cold approach. Once the pandemic hit and masks were in effect, cold approach simply stopped working. It's not just the mask - the whole "stranger danger" "keep your distance" mentality sunk-in over the last 18 months and between those things and not being able to see what someone looks like and having a hard time hearing them, it's not conducive to cold approaching - people don't want to talk and are not receptive to meeting strangers.

Right now, unfortunately OLD is a "better" option. Social circle is still viable too though you will be somewhat limited to how many girls you can date from social circles. Volunteering opportunities can be an extension of social circles.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why would you? A woman's face is not considered good looking until all of it is exposed. These masks out here letting women cheat their attractiveness. If a woman can't drop her mask, don't even think about it. She ain't worth your time. If anything, you should be paying attention to any good looking women that are wearing no masks. Those are the keepers.

bat soup

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a college freshman and I have a question about approaching women with masks on. My college does not require that you wear them and there are very little cases of COVID, but even so probably 85% of women wear masks outside and 95% wear them inside. There is no need to wear them any more, but I cultivate my independence by not giving a **** about wearing them wherever I go.

When I approach women with masks on, I find reading their facial cues to be difficult. Judging their facial attractiveness is also hard. I can't see if they smile when making eye contact, so it is more of a challenge to judge their interests. Any advice for helping with these difficulties?
I find a lot of girls look better with the mask on. Probably what's going to be more difficult is that they might not hear you well or be able to understand what you're saying. If you approach in an empty subway wearing a Scream mask, they might just run away.

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eye contact when people are wearing masks has skyrocketed around me. The eyes are the only part exposed so you really notice it.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If your college doesn't require it, I would personally suggest you refuse to talk to, let alone acknowledge any women wearing a mask (especially outdoors). Not only does it dampen nonverbal communication, and hide their facial features, but it is a sure sign they are infantile and naive, both of which are qualities you should avoid.

Make it easier on yourself and only talk to maskless women.

Last edited:

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a good question. I think this topic of approaching in a mask era has been under considered on this forum during the pandemic.

Wow, that is a lot of outdoor mask wearing. I hope that it is a big university. 15% of a 50,000 student population is a viable audience. 15% of a 3,000 student population is going to be way more challenging.

Good for you for not giving a fuuck about it.

You have a good point. Early in the pandemic, I noticed that grocery store approaching became more difficult with masks. I prefer getting good IOIs before approaching in non-bar settings or non-private party settings. Private residence parties have typically been a big thing with college students, especially the 18-20 year olds.

My workaround would be to do more outdoor approaching, which I have done. You have do this more easily than most men. You can do random on campus approaching.

You could do some variation of the clip below in terms of outdoor approaching on campus. Keep in mind that this guy is more of a prankster than player but there are applicable lessons for Don Juans in this....

If anything, you should be paying attention to any good looking women that are wearing no masks. Those are the keepers.
If your college doesn't require it, I would personally suggest you refuse to talk to, let alone acknowledge any women wearing a mask (especially outdoors). Not only does it dampen nonverbal communication, and hide their facial features, but it is a sure sign they are infantile and naive, both of which are qualities you should avoid.

Make it easier on yourself and only talk to maskless women.
Agree with both of these posters. You're going to be better positioned for success with maskless women outdoors. I'd still choose in-person approaching outdoors over swiping on an app. You have a major advantage as a college student as compared to some white collar working 30-35 year old man. Mostly everyone you know is going to be 18-20 and are single. A 30-35 year old man isn't going to have the access to women and access to single women you have so he perceive a need to swipe more so than a guy on campus with access to unmarried, childless women in their primes who have yet to be jaded by bad experiences.