Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is anybody here majoring in psychology?

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was thinking of majoring in psychology because it is my passion. I want to have my own practice someday. If that doesn't work out I want to become an image consultant or lifestyle coach. It's something I love to do and that I'm good at.

I can already see the "have fun working at McDonalds" comments since lots of people think a masters in psychology is worthless, but I really want to do this.

Major in psychology, minor in communications. Good or bad idea?

The Sperminator

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well it's worthless if you just get a ba in it. You need a masters at least if not phd. Not worthless though if you want to become a pyschologist or teacher. If you want to be a pyschologist though you are going to have to go to school for a very long time. So I would say about 10 years of college after high school. Just make sure you want to do it because it will take a while. But it will be worth it if you love it. Never met a pyschologist who didn't like their job or thought their job was boring. It's an interesting job. Plus you get paid bank for nodding your head and giving your opinion.

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pay isnt even that good i hear, for the amount of schooling you do.....i was very interested in psych first year uni...just dont see a real future in it..i dont want there to be a limit of the salary i can make...but hats off to you doing what your passionate about..

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hockey Playa said:
pay isnt even that good i hear, for the amount of schooling you do.....i was very interested in psych first year uni...just dont see a real future in it..i dont want there to be a limit of the salary i can make...but hats off to you doing what your passionate about..
Well, I know a marriage consultant and she makes about 200k a year. So it is possible to become wealthy by studying psychology. I believe you can make lots of money in any field if you are passionate about it and you know how to be good at marketing. Then again, a job is only one source of income. However most people don't get that since they are scared to try something new because they might fail. I know I'm only 18 and I don't have any life experience that's why I need some good advice from the older posters on here.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ChrizZ said:
I was thinking of majoring in psychology because it is my passion. I want to have my own practice someday. If that doesn't work out I want to become an image consultant or lifestyle coach. It's something I love to do and that I'm good at.

I can already see the "have fun working at McDonalds" comments since lots of people think a masters in psychology is worthless, but I really want to do this.

Major in psychology, minor in communications. Good or bad idea?
What do you want to do after you finish school? Do you want to use what you've learned about psychology? It's a strange question I know, but I know a few people who had a passion for psych but chose to work in other fields for various reasons.

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
What do you want to do after you finish school? Do you want to use what you've learned about psychology? It's a strange question I know, but I know a few people who had a passion for psych but chose to work in other fields for various reasons.
Yes I want to use what I'll learn. I have always been interested in people and why they act the way they do.

I want to be independent.

Generally speaking I want to help people and push them in the right direction.

Psychiatrist, image consultant, lifestyle coach, motivational speaker, dating expert or a date doctor (kinda like in the movie Hitch LOL).

Those are the things I'd love to do.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
Endeavoring to help others with thier issues is a noble and quite worthy cause. Sometimes the ends do justify the means. I'm considering going back to school for therapy or counseling as well. There is a pretty significant difference with a Psychologist/Psychiatrist and Therapist/Counselor both in monetary gain and prestige (if affirmation is one of your motivators).

As I said, it's something I'm considering. I've already surpassed other dreams and goals:

Filmmaker - Done it.
Published Writer - process pending manuscript green light.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ChrizZ said:
Yes I want to use what I'll learn. I have always been interested in people and why they act the way they do.

I want to be independent.

Generally speaking I want to help people and push them in the right direction.

Psychiatrist, image consultant, lifestyle coach, motivational speaker, dating expert or a date doctor (kinda like in the movie Hitch LOL).

Those are the things I'd love to do.
Whew, glad to see that you have a few "more commercial" aspirations besides just having a personal practice. Don't get me wrong, it can be done and be quite lucrative but it takes time and experience. Having a few marketable talents under your belt will definitely help you especially if you gain work experience aside from any residency work along the way.

Here's a suggestion, for your selections which don't require a degree look for a niche market that you can work in while you are on your path. Now tons of people will tell you that you should just go to school because the workload alone is overwhelming; not true. Plus, if you just wait until after graduation, you will be competing for positions with people with pretty much the exact same qualifications as you. Why not stack the deck before hand?

Here's another bit of info, you can become life-skill certified even before you graduate. But unless you find a niche market, you'll be competing with tons of other people who decided to go in that direction without going to school. The downside to that is that you can come out of the program with only knowing the "rah-rah, touchy-feely" aspects of the field. You'll get real substance by having the psycho/social background. :up:

Holland

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm currently studying psychology, it takes 3 years to get a Bachelor Degree and one extra year to get a Master in it. I'm in the second year right now. Not so much of a challenge, but it gives me lots of free time to invest in other goals of mine.

arabgangsta

Don Juan
Reaction score
its what i wanted to do but there isnt as much money as i want in it so i read it as in interest instead =(

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's very beneficial to know how the insides of our minds work.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my advice is that you can make anything work if you stick to it and are passionate.

the big mistake most people make is not going in to something with their eyes wide open.

being a psychologist can lead to a great career that pays very well. but 80% of the people that go into psychology won't end up with that. they will do 3 years then go do something else.

my advice is be very very clear with yourself as to what its goign to take.

its probably going to take

4 years undergrad
2 years masters
2 years phd
2-4 years internship
2-4 years to build up a practice

so if you started tomorrow it would probably cost you 100k for your education and about 8-16 years before you had your own practice that was doing really well (ie. your roster was full, you were making good money, etc.)

but anything worthwhile is never easy. and 16 years are going to go by whether you are building towards a psychology practice or working at walmart, so you might as well spend them chasing after something you actually want.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ChrizZ said:
Well, I know a marriage consultant and she makes about 200k a year. So it is possible to become wealthy by studying psychology. I believe you can make lots of money in any field if you are passionate about it and you know how to be good at marketing. Then again, a job is only one source of income. However most people don't get that since they are scared to try something new because they might fail. I know I'm only 18 and I don't have any life experience that's why I need some good advice from the older posters on here.
you can become rich doing almost anything.

I have heard the story of a bus driver who was a multi-millionaire (I believe that it was in the book, "Millionaire Mind" by Dr. Thomas Stanley) because of smart investments that he read during his time off.

I always say follow your passions in life because your going to be doing your profession for 50 to 60 years. Might as well enjoy it.

Hell, I just want to be a motivational speaker so I can write books and help people out. Plus, I know that this stuff works because it worked out for me.

comic_relief