Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Injuries can happen to anyone!

Aiken_Drum

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, how are you?

I'm writing this because I wish someone had written something similar when I was younger, also it would have got to get into me to have that effect.
If you are training, are younger than 25 and never been injuried, READ THIS, it's very important.

Right now I'm 27, I'm happyly going to the gym 3x a week, plus 3 going to Muay Thai. I want a body similar to that of Patric Bateman (main character of American Psycho). Not the mindset of course :D

Anyway, I disgress. I've had 2 important injuries and one of medium importance.
What do I mean with important? That they prevented me to go to the gym for some months.

What I want to point out is that when has in his identity to be a buff/athletic/whatever guy, it's an awful feeling to not be able to go to the gym, or do any other sports you do.
When I had my shoulder injury, I was at my peak physical state. I was lifting a lot, I loved my body and chicks told me they did as well.
Then, practically from a day to the other, my shoulder started hurting. And I kept training that week, so it got really worse. (NOTE: Any new signiticative pain (not the regular type from moving your body) needs to URGE you to consult with a doctor. You may have a traumatological issue developing, and with a few cares you can prevent major problems).
Going back to the story, I went to a doctor (traumatologist... always go see a doctor specializing in sports, traumatologists are WAYYY to conservative). He told me I would need to stop almost all training (legs were OK) for about to 6 months, and do kinesiology.
I was devastated, I feared seeing my body shrink, losing my ripped look. Which I did, for that time at least.

Going back to that time, if I had gone to see a doctor specializing in sports medicine, I know my recovery could have been, let's say, 3 months instead of 6?

But it is REALLY a terrible situation to be put in, and I think it's very hard to understand to a guy who is 19, who's body never experienced an injury.

When I was that age, I would lift in body squats and deadlifts around 280, WITH BAD FORM. No pain back then.
I stop training, resume 2 years later. At the third months, a sudden pain starts in my left knee: I had broken my internal meniscus, the second doctor told me, the first thought it was a normal inflamatory process, and I should not stop anything... f**cker.

This time I couldn't train... when I did for some time, my knee hurted so badly a few times I couldn't step with that knee because of that pain.
I've had surgery, but I never went back to feeling like I did when I was 19... I still get pains now and then.

Again, the whole point of this post is to WARN people that injuries CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE.
Please be careful with the technique, do cardio to heat up and stretch!

I hope this has been useful to someone!

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well said. Form is so important, everyone must make sure they watch videos and read articles on form for all the big lifts, and practice practice practice.If your technique is bad, then not only will you not be able to lift as much, but you WILL get injured somewhere along the line

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
CaptainJ said:
Well said. Form is so important, everyone must make sure they watch videos and read articles on form for all the big lifts, and practice practice practice.If your technique is bad, then not only will you not be able to lift as much, but you WILL get injured somewhere along the line
Exactly. And form practice must always be done with light weights. Your ego isn't worth months of therapy.

Schwank

Don Juan
Reaction score
Five years ago I was lifting weights in an effort to "get tanked". I knew nothing of diet, routine, form, supplements and rest. I basically just lifted the heaviest weights possible for me, without knowledge of how to do the exercise properly. I never got injured. I wasn't getting results so I gave it up mid-2005.

Now I'm back into it. However, this time, of what I was previously ignorant to, I now have knowledge of... I've sustained three injuries: Shoulder, Back and now an elbow injury. Go figure. :rolleyes: