Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

In a bad place at work...

.Paradox.

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a software tester. One of two in my office. Well, WAS one of two, but the lead, who had been with the team for 9 years, just left, and I'm stuck taking on all his responsibilities and duties in addition to mine--with just over 1.5 years of experience... I was sat down yesterday and talked to and told that everyone is concerned that testing is (to put it bluntly) going to go to ****, and I'm being counted on to step up my game. Now, this is bad enough, because I can't be the ex-lead--I don't have his experience nor knowledge of the system. However, in addition to that, I was told by my officemanager that the perception of me in the office is that I'm not at my desk enough and am doing no work. Before you ask, this is slander and lies. There are only 11 people on the team, but there are "gossip girls (this includes guys)" in the office who are very passive-aggressive and like to spread false rumors behind people's backs (I'm not the first employee this kind of thing has happened to). I'm sure this partially comes from being over-shadowed by the ex-lead.

After hearing this I, obviously, said it was untrue and if she wanted I could even show her (my office manager) documentation of ALL the bug tickets I've worked and closed over the 1.5 years I've been on the team, and that's in addition to the countless bug I've found, the retesting, the regression testing, the test plans I've created, the documents I've updated, etc. etc. etc. I think she believed me, and I think she likes me as a person, which is likely why I'm not ***really*** "in trouble" from these rumors. However, after hearing this, the best way I can put it is that "the wind has been entirely taken out of my sails." I feel insulted and betrayed, and by people who have always been nice to my face and who I thought respected me and who I respected in return. At this point, I only trust a couple people in the office, I feel always on edge, like I have to watch my back, and like I'm not appreciated at all. I have always dreaded going into work, and am usually miserable at work, but now it's on another level. I don't want to work here anymore. I've never been truly comfortable working here, but now I'm extremely UNcomfortable. Good way to treat your one and only tester who knows the system/software, right?

I'm going to talk to my company manager and tell him some of this. I'm planning on telling him that I don't want to work on this team anymore, but I'm willing to do "the right thing" and wait till another tester is hired then train that tester up the best I can before leaving, BUT I want a "sweeter deal"/additional compensation for not only working in this miserable environment, but also for incurring all the ex-leads duties and responsibilities.

Can anyone offer me any advice for my situation? Anything is greatly appreciated, as I'm highly stressed with my current situation. Thanks in advance.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a software tester. One of two in my office. Well, WAS one of two, but the lead, who had been with the team for 9 years, just left, and I'm stuck taking on all his responsibilities and duties in addition to mine--with just over 1.5 years of experience... I was sat down yesterday and talked to and told that everyone is concerned that testing is (to put it bluntly) going to go to ****, and I'm being counted on to step up my game. Now, this is bad enough, because I can't be the ex-lead--I don't have his experience nor knowledge of the system. However, in addition to that, I was told by my officemanager that the perception of me in the office is that I'm not at my desk enough and am doing no work. Before you ask, this is slander and lies. There are only 11 people on the team, but there are "gossip girls (this includes guys)" in the office who are very passive-aggressive and like to spread false rumors behind people's backs (I'm not the first employee this kind of thing has happened to). I'm sure this partially comes from being over-shadowed by the ex-lead.

After hearing this I, obviously, said it was untrue and if she wanted I could even show her (my office manager) documentation of ALL the bug tickets I've worked and closed over the 1.5 years I've been on the team, and that's in addition to the countless bug I've found, the retesting, the regression testing, the test plans I've created, the documents I've updated, etc. etc. etc. I think she believed me, and I think she likes me as a person, which is likely why I'm not ***really*** "in trouble" from these rumors. However, after hearing this, the best way I can put it is that "the wind has been entirely taken out of my sails." I feel insulted and betrayed, and by people who have always been nice to my face and who I thought respected me and who I respected in return. At this point, I only trust a couple people in the office, I feel always on edge, like I have to watch my back, and like I'm not appreciated at all. I have always dreaded going into work, and am usually miserable at work, but now it's on another level. I don't want to work here anymore. I've never been truly comfortable working here, but now I'm extremely UNcomfortable. Good way to treat your one and only tester who knows the system/software, right?

I'm going to talk to my company manager and tell him some of this. I'm planning on telling him that I don't want to work on this team anymore, but I'm willing to do "the right thing" and wait till another tester is hired then train that tester up the best I can before leaving, BUT I want a "sweeter deal"/additional compensation for not only working in this miserable environment, but also for incurring all the ex-leads duties and responsibilities.

Can anyone offer me any advice for my situation? Anything is greatly appreciated, as I'm highly stressed with my current situation. Thanks in advance.
Do you have PROOF that many of the rumors which are causing you issue are LIES? Definitely go over management level to the top if you have to. It can "reimpower" you without leaving the situation. And even if you have to leave the situation, you know you did what you could about it. Check with the fair employment practice committee as well and attourneys versed in employment practice laws.

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
understand your pain at least you don't work in hospitality

evan12

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I work with many software tester , and I can understand your situation , I think there is this sigma about QA is that they are not working most of their time, and it could be true to many QA so dont take that accusation so personal
I think you play it wrong when your lead left , so instead of stepping in and taking happily his responsibility and maybe offering to be the lead, you kept it complaining and telling them you are not knowledgeable enough to take his responsibilities, which make you not the type of "A" player employee that managers love.
You have two options
1- Find a new job in another company and leave silently from here .
2- Prove you are someone they can depend on your and become more positive, and this indecent will be forgotten later, office back stabbing is everywhere, and you have to thicken your skin to not get hurt by every stab