Imus fired over derogatory comments...

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Politics have nothing to do with it...other than loud mouth political pundits try to use stuff like this to point their bony fingers at each other and cry foul...morons...the whole bunch of them.

The issue here is double standards. Lots of people have been getting away with this kind of language for years...so what is the difference between Imus and Isaiah Washington, Mel Gibson, Bill O'Reilly, most rappers, etc. etc. If Imus's comments are inappropriate for radio than why aren't rap songs that say WAY worse also inappropriate?

Double standards...and it's NOT okay to fire one and not fire them all. Imus also DOES raise a ton of money for charity, too...so he's not all bad. His radio show was the method in which he rasied over 40 million dollars for charity...and now he can no longer use that show to raise the much needed money for those organizations because he was fired. It seems like people reacted without thinking...and used double standards. That's what makes what happened to Imus wrong.

I think pretty much everyone agrees that he was way out of line in what he said...but the punishment does NOT fit the crime.

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What fvcks me off is that it's pretty okay to slander gays in the media, from all corners of society, but Imus makes a comment about black women and gets fired. It's not like he called them the n-word. Isaiah Washington calls TR Knight a f*ggot and he just doesn't get a raise along with the rest of the cast.

On a tangent, another thing that fvcks me off is people disassociating gay rights from the general civil rights movement. I read a lot of conservative print media (because I tend to agree with their economic principles) and there's a lot of talk about how "blacks don't want gays lumped in with them" written by old rich white Protestant males who probably would've voted for George Wallace back when.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ricky said:
I just don't understand all this hatred from peace loving liberals. Normally they reserve that type of hatred for fetuses in the womb as they extract them in 8 month late term abortions while simultaneously attending peace rallies on Washington and complaining when their kids have to disect frogs in biology class.
Oh no, not this $hit again!:crazy:

Did your 3 college degrees help you improve at how to better regurgitate talking point memos? :eek:

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wyldfire said:
I think pretty much everyone agrees that he was way out of line in what he said...but the punishment does NOT fit the crime.
This is not a black or white issue, at least from Mr. Imus' employers, it is GREEN issue. It is not punishment, it is their way out of a bussiness relationship. By doing it, they accomplish two things.

1. Try to get out of the contract and pay him less.

2. Reduce the risk of dealing with a pontential liability. The sponsors checked out, so they were at risk to keep loosing money, even on other shows associated with the networks.

ryannath

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don Imus is a straight haired cracka and a man who speaks his mind and SHOULD be able to do so. After all, this is the USA not Communist China.

Before all you left-wing liberals unite against me, I'm not saying I agree with what he said because I don't. However, I do think he has the right to say it. It's freedom of speech. If he wants to say something stupid and hurtful and make himself look like an idiot then he should be allowed to do it.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stormbringer said:
You're overlooking one main thing: "freedom of speech" doesn't apply in this case.

Always remember that profit is the sole intrinsic good for every company. Anything else...including a top-level star employee...is just an instrumental good; a replaceable tool used for persuing the intrinsic good that is profit.

Imus aired his comments publicly, and on the network's dime. The network isn't going to stand by and continue losing revenue as advertisers keep pulling out just to protect some old neoconservative yahoo's "freedom of speech." You forgo that freedom when you work for a network.

This isn't unlike somebody getting fired for, say, leaking his/her employer's trade secrets to competitors, or a retail store employee telling an a$$hole customer to fukk off. Certain things you say in your work environment can and WILL get you fired, especially when your words are a detriment to the company's profit potential.

Freedom isn't free.
Damn. Somebody finally nails it here.

ryannath, if you are an employer who has somebody working for you who is a racist, do you keep him/her on your payroll, or do you remove him/her from the environment?

Do you stick to your "freedom of speech" rap? do you take into consideration the profit of the business? Do you do something about the working environment?

BTW, at what point did Wylfire highjack this thread and turned a good thread about a controversial current event into an "It's all about me" disscussion?

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
seanchai said:
What fvcks me off is that it's pretty okay to slander gays in the media, from all corners of society, but Imus makes a comment about black women and gets fired. It's not like he called them the n-word. Isaiah Washington calls TR Knight a f*ggot and he just doesn't get a raise along with the rest of the cast.

On a tangent, another thing that fvcks me off is people disassociating gay rights from the general civil rights movement. I read a lot of conservative print media (because I tend to agree with their economic principles) and there's a lot of talk about how "blacks don't want gays lumped in with them" written by old rich white Protestant males who probably would've voted for George Wallace back when.
They should legalize Civil Unions in all 50 states. I lived in Vermont during the time when they were made legal and for a number of years afterwards. There were no negative impacts at all...but lots of people have made a killing starting businesses catering to people looking to get Civil Unions in Vermont. Event planners and consultants, halls, etc. And it was a huge boost for the revenue brought in from tourism. The gay couples would come to Vermont for a Civil Union ceremony and then go back to where they came from. It would be great for the economy and it wouldn't change anyone's community. Homosexual couples spent a ton of money when they travel to get a Civil Union.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Gangster Of Love said:
BTW, at what point did Wylfire highjack this thread and turned a good thread about a controversial current event into an "It's all about me" disscussion?
It's not me who "hijacks" threads...it's the girly little bastards who flame me that like to make it about me. I try to stay on topic...

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wyldfire said:
Unless you live under a rock you've probably heard about Imus referring to the Rutgers women's basketball team as "Nappy-headed hos" last week. He got fired from his radio show and the tv simulcast over it.

Here's the thing...Imus has been hating on every group for over 30 years now, and while he is terribly offensive, rude and sounds like he hates everyone...he does an incredible amount of charity work. He's raised over $40 million dollars through his now cancelled radio show to help kids with cancer, veterans, kids with autism, research for sickle cell anemia...just to name a few. He even operates a ranch for terminally ill kids. Sickle cell anemia only affects black people. If the guy was truly a racist/bigot then he would not be raising money for research for that.

If you listen to any rap music the lyrics are way worse than what Imus said, and I'm not defending what he said...it was way out of line...but I don't think he should be fired over it...especially with how sincerely the guy has been apologizing for almost a solid week.

I think it's horrible that all these charities are going to suffer because of this crazy lynch mob mentality that is being directed at Imus. This is just so sad. I hope the Rutgers basketball team comes out and makes some kind of statement to attempt to stop the madness and lynch mob crap. The world needs to show a bit more forgiveness.
Interestingly enough...I don't view the remark as racist as I know a LOT of white women with "nappy" hair.

But I viewed the remark as "anti-woman" as calling women "ho". You are right about the Rappers using similar terms toward women in general.

I think the focus should not be race and be more "women".

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep your ears peels folks, word on the street is that Rosie is on the way out herself.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
Keep your ears peels folks, word on the street is that Rosie is on the way out herself.
NOW that one should be fired!

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
By the way...a person should not be treated different because he is rich or poor or because he contribute money for good causes or whatever.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wyldfire said:
What about Isaiah Washington's anti-homosexual hate comments and name calling? Should he be kicked off of Grey's Anatomy for that too? What about all the rappers who say the same stuff and worse in their music? Should they be taken off the radio and TV as well?
Washington should have been fired IF Imus was fired.

Remember, IMUS stuff is not really about race (both Reverends are making it a race issue because it is to their advantage)...it has to do about talking crap about women.

'Nappy hair' is NOT a bad thing.
'Ho' is a VERY bad thing.

I feel there should be consistency regardless of race, social status, sex, etc. If you fire one...then you should fire the others.

black_beret

Banned
Reaction score
Wyldfire said:
Unless you live under a rock you've probably heard about Imus referring to the Rutgers women's basketball team as "Nappy-headed hos" last week. He got fired from his radio show and the tv simulcast over it.

Here's the thing...Imus has been hating on every group for over 30 years now, and while he is terribly offensive, rude and sounds like he hates everyone...he does an incredible amount of charity work. He's raised over $40 million dollars through his now cancelled radio show to help kids with cancer, veterans, kids with autism, research for sickle cell anemia...just to name a few. He even operates a ranch for terminally ill kids. Sickle cell anemia only affects black people. If the guy was truly a racist/bigot then he would not be raising money for research for that.

If you listen to any rap music the lyrics are way worse than what Imus said, and I'm not defending what he said...it was way out of line...but I don't think he should be fired over it...especially with how sincerely the guy has been apologizing for almost a solid week.

I think it's horrible that all these charities are going to suffer because of this crazy lynch mob mentality that is being directed at Imus. This is just so sad. I hope the Rutgers basketball team comes out and makes some kind of statement to attempt to stop the madness and lynch mob crap. The world needs to show a bit more forgiveness.
What Imus did was so wrong. I cannot describe how wrong it was that he did. No african american or group of african american persons should ever have been talked about in such a racially derrogatory was as Imus did.

What he did is actually a hate crime. But unfortunetly, there is no such law in existence to have him charged with anything on this. So he walks a free man.

The lynch mobs are actually bringing justice to the oppressed african americans. We need more people like this who stand up to the white man.

In my personaly opinion, I think Imus should be killed for what he said.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
black_beret said:
What Imus did was so wrong. I cannot describe how wrong it was that he did. No african american or group of african american persons should ever have been talked about in such a racially derrogatory was as Imus did. ...
They should be glad that Imus was kicked to the streets of; what did Jesse Jackson call it? Oh yeah "Hymie Town." I guess Jessie was forgiven for calling Jew "Hymies."

logic1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My take on the Don Imus situation

A lot of the posters on here need to read KILLAPETEDOG's thread on insecurity!

I could give a rats ass less if someone made some racist comments about me especially after accomplishing what the Rutgers women basketball team did. I know what I'm about and who I'am and some stranger would not affect me by his comments.

If one of the women off the basketball team would have stepped up to the microphone at the press conference they were forced to go to and said I dont care what he said, I know what I'm about, and who we are, and what we accomplished and what he said does not bother me or affect me because of that.

She would have been the hero! It would have shown her confidence and security.

Instead they used the women as insecure puppets.