Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I'm so tired of searching...

April_Infinite

Don Juan
Reaction score
What is true happiness? How do you obtain it?

I know it's not excactly something that can easily be answered, but I want to know from you guys on here that are content with your lives, how did you get there? And what causes you to stay that way?

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're asking the wrong person (people). Once it's answered, ideas will come as to how to maintain it.

howardalex

Banned
Reaction score
well it's gotta include:

beautiful woman you love (+ who loves you)
gorgeous food
activities you love

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can't tell you how to obtain it. Nobody really can. It's something you have to pretty much discover for yourself. What I've found is that true happiness cannot come from other people, it must come from within yourself. Other people and things will add or subtract from your happiness. But the main source of happiness should come from you.

How to achieve it? I can't really tell you. The things that worked for me were working toward having a more positive outlook on life and even bad situations. Eliminating your NEED for women also helps. There's nothing wrong with desiring to have a woman in your life, but the truth is you don't need one to be happy and complete.

Take enjoyment out of the things you love in life - your passions. Those will bring you the most satisfaction, more than any woman can bring to your life. Eliminate the things in your life that subtract from your happiness, such as a bad girlfriend, friends who tear you down, and even relatives who's main goal is to run your life. Quit letting people run your life and run it yourself.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

What I've discovered...

If happiness is ANYTHING other than right here and now, a controllable, real, pure state of mind and existence...then happiness isn't ANYTHING.

If you can ACHIEVE happiness, then that state can also be taken away. If it's something you DO NOT have right now, then when you have it, it can be lost. Can it be said to be happiness then, if it's so fleeting, or is it only a momentary rush of endorphins? An addiction to simple, quick fixes?

Happiness, IMO and IMB, is a NATURAL and RIGHT state of existence. It's the ONLY way. It exists REGARDLESS of the external world. Happiness is what you are. It's what you are when a bf/gf cheats, dumps, or leaves you. It's what you are if someone is born or someone dies. It's what you are if someone gets promoted or fired. It's what you are if you're rich or poor (the poor would do well to be positive and happy, as it may attract the riches they desire). Happiness is THIS moment. If it's a goal, it can't be happiness.

What people SEEK is some ecstatic emotional response to EVERYTHING. If people don't control their emotions and only react, do they exist, or are they just a meddly of biomechanical and emotional responses? If you're not PRO-actively engaging your emotions, are you alive, or just reacting?

The problem, or challenge is, there's no search. The mind has set this forth as an automatic trap. Sure, we'll ALWAYS desire...a new car, a bigger house, more money, a better job. So go get them! And delight in their pursuit and the achievement of it, knowing you'll want something bigger ONCE you get that. As long as it seems like this UTOPIAN achievement, it will forever remain beyound your grasp. HOWEVER, if this *goal* is instead just a CHALLENGE you want to conquer, then it merely requires the necessary WILL POWER to see it through, and if you don't get it, you're still ok. You either didn't want it enough or you need to rethink your strategy on getting it.

There's alot of times in the past I'd tied it to big checks coming in, only to find I had a tax bill or car issue come to eradicate the gain. Of course in the long-run, I'd be positive. But to see thousands of dollars go away and to have *that* be my happiness was foolish. Or, I'd tie it to friends and situations, only to find those same friends backstabbed me, moved, or fell out of favor.

Happiness isn't OUT there. The world can't make you happy, yet people PUSH and PUSH against it. If anything, it's more like the matrix feeding you a BONUS feeling of ecstasy, and people get addicted to...hence, the social *****s which exist. I say social *****s, and what I mean to say more deeply are, people who seek social noteriety as the ultimate end of happiness. They're puppets in an ever-changing scene, which puts things in favor one day, and out favor of the next. See: the feminine body.

You'll find alot of helpful literature in Eastern teachings and Buddhist teachings, which emphasize how IMPERMANENT things are in life, and as such, to think happiness exists with IMPERMANENT things is to realize happiness isn't those things, OR, happiness doesn't exist. Which is it?

It's the age old debate of God. What is God? If this world is not permanent and not entirely good or pure or true, and God IS those things, then MAN is flawed in his thinking of God, God is flawed, or this world isn't real AT all. Right? (this isn't a political Or religious discussion, if any seeks to go that route, PM me directly).

One of the hardest things for me is to look at a friend I appreciate dearly, be struck down so hard by a poor relationship or a gf that just dumped him, who's so overwhelmed by the loss and have him not embrace the NOW. Yeah, it sucks, she left, but what will you do? Convince her? Not be yourself? Resort to tactics that don't work, and ones that didn't capture her interest to begin with and think they'll work on the next one? Rush right out to find a replacement only to realize that isn't possible? People sit with blank faces, emotionless because their mind isn't HERE and NOW. And that begs a deeper question...if you're living in the past or future, are you TRULY living, do you exist, or are you just a phantom of your fantasy world?

People tune in to tune out. They want to get lost, or erase something, much like this post hints at, and all you do is erase time of your life to be enjoying the here and now, where you are at.

We are happy at the source and core of who we are. Period. Bottom line. We ALL know we want to experience boundless joy, and we can, and we should, and you will, if you realize it isn't anything GIVEN to you, but something GIVEN to yourself. Everything external is just an addiction and an attachment.

A-Unit

April_Infinite

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers.

I have been truly happy before in the past, maybe that's why it bothers me so much that I'm so miserable now. I can't figure out for the life of me what made me happy back then.

I think I've narrowed it down to the point where I found out happiness isn't anything material: friends, money, etc. But then I'm stuck.

DjDreamer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Happiness is all in your brain... ever notice how people react differently in terms of emotional stability to any given situation? You see... happiness has "individual" standards... and life will be absolute hell if you're a perfectionist...

Control and priorities are the key elements to that emotion of happiness... that's the feeling you get when you lose something valuable and then quickly discover it...

Happiness is basicly the existance of no constant change in the negative direction... or the existance of constant change in the positive direction...

Too bad we're living in a world that doesn't dictate true happiness and manipulates personal happiness for the sake of financial gain as if you're a rabbit chasing after a carrot on a mass marketing stick... false needs... you may not need that advertised thing but those who try market that thing to you sure hope you feel like you do...

Now you may denounce the world and go live in a monastery somewhere or just undergo self-improvement so a little bit of personal magneticism can be produced... it's change... in the positive direction...

ER!C L!VE

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
April_Infinite said:

I know it's not excactly something that can easily be answered, but I want to know from you guys on here that are content with your lives, how did you get there? And what causes you to stay that way?
High quality drugs, good sex and paid bills supported by a job I enjoy.

BrokenLeftWing

Don Juan
Reaction score
You'll never find it without looking for it and if your not men enough to keep searching, then sit down and let the rest of us keeping going.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Happiness is a choice and everyone has the power to be happy at any time they want to. The secret is to find it within yourself rather than seeking it through another person.

Mjazz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dj dreamer is right, its all in your brain. There are people living in terrible conditions, or at least what seems like it to us, that are happy. No one can tell you how to be happy, there is no clear cut formula. But true happiness seems to lie less in having material possessions and more in your mind. Be grateful and optimistic for what you have and whats in store. Remember bad things can happen and good things can happen, if you let these dictate what makes you happy or not, you wont be. Be optimistic, dont let anything faze you.

Reaction score
Most people are genetically wired for happiness - those who don't have "it" can attain it but it will always require artificial external forces and stimuli to obtain it -- and once these external attainments are gone then so is "it"!! Happiness is being satisfied if you had everything and everyone in your life or if you had nothing and no one in your life!!! The state of happiness is a constant, not a variable!!

Augie

Don Juan
Reaction score
Happiness is knowing what you want, what drives you and what you value

April_Infinite

Don Juan
Reaction score
So in a nutshell, nothing external will cause it; happiness is when I fantasize in my mind that everything is alright.

Pimp101

Don Juan
Reaction score
April_Infinite said:
So in a nutshell, nothing external will cause it; happiness is when I fantasize in my mind that everything is alright.
Happiness is when you BELIEVE that everything is alright. Why do you think so many people have faith in religion? The beliefs they adopt through it do just that, they make them believe that everything is good! Thats not to say that religion is the only way to be happy - far from it. When you build your own set of beliefs and get rid of all the negative beliefs you have you'll be in the same situation.

So the only thing stopping you from being happy at any point in time is you. Its the beliefs you have, the thoughts running in your head. All you need to do is to LET GO of those negative beliefs and thoughts. Thats all, its that simple. Happiness is not some unattainable gold medal that you have to work all your life to get. Its your NATURE. You were born happy! So whats changed between now and then? Yup, your beliefs.

One thing that helped me was to take a result-orientated approach to the matter. Is what I'm thinking right now making me happy or depressed? If its the latter then I shut that thought down, its not getting me any closer to my goal - in fact its doing the opposite. If its the former then everythings all good.

As for being "genetically wired" for happiness - drop those negative beliefs. The mind is an amazing tool capable of much more than people think. Why do you think staying positive while you're ill or recovering from an accident makes you heal that much faster? Thats right, the mind can even affect the body. So you're capable of controlling your entire system with just thoughts, is it that far fetched that you can also control the mind itself with thoughts? No! Its the truth, and I'm speaking from experience. Ask anyone else who considers themselves to be a happy person, they'll tell you the same thing - its NOT genetic!

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Based on my experience it's largely a biochemical state.

Holland

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen!
There is absolutely NO WAY to Happiness
Happiness is the way.
-Wayne Dyer

There is no way to obtain happiness, it is an internal state.
You can search for it forever and never find it.
You can only BE happy. It's available for you as soon as you want it.

Something that can be very helpful if you want to be happy, is let go of ALL of your attachments.
Especially attachment to outcomes of situations. Whether it be Women & dating, in your hobby or in your career. Just decide that it won't matter what happens, as long as you take action, try new things and have fun all is fine.
The reason is because you can never have everything your way. And if you place your happiness on an attachment, than you're only going to be happy when you get things your way.
That means, placing your internal state in the hands of external events.
Not a very smart idea.

It's pretty simple, once you live it and it will only become more selfevident:
Just live your life, take responsibility for your actions (and inactions as wel), do what you love to do, laugh and just don't care about outcomes.
Live is great, you just have to REALISE it.