Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I'm at a crossroads with deciding what I should do for my career

Should I save up and enroll in training for a higher paying job?

• Yes

• No, move up higher with your current employer

Results are only viewable after voting.

needimprovement250

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping that I could get some advice on what I should do when it comes to my career because right now I'm not doing what I want to do for the rest of my life and I want to change things before its too late. I'm 28 and right now I work full time as a line cook for a ghost kitchen and get paid $20/hr and it works out to be about 41K a year. This is the highest income I've had so far as I used to work part time at a grocery store before this and they only paid $14.30/hr and then I was an Amazon delivery driver before that and the income level really varied with that one since it was an independent contractor job and you could only work when they had work available. As far as education goes, I don't have anything more than my high school diploma. I attempted to go to community college after high school, but I dropped out and started working instead after I realized how long community college would take me to finish due to all of the required prerequisite classes that I would have to take in order to even take the classes that I would need for my transfer degree. But the mistake I made when I dropped out was that I just worked dead end jobs that couldn't be turned into a career.

I don't want to make a career out of working in a kitchen like I do now, and I was hoping that I could move up higher in the company and out of the kitchens because this company does several other things like logistics, pharmaceuticals, grocery, and finance as well. But it doesn't sound like any of those other jobs are gonna be available in my area anytime soon. So lately I've been thinking that I should start saving money to enroll in some type of training program for something that can be higher paying and has more immediate opportunities for advancement. If its possible, I would really like to find a remote job so that I can travel around and find a new state to move to because the cost of living is so high where I live now and I can't ever leave to go explore new places since I have an in person job that I have to go to every day and I can only be away when I have enough vacation time saved up to travel. I would also love to work in the cannabis industry and there is a training program for it, but most of the jobs in that industry aren't too high paying right now because of its legal status, but I feel like it might be a good idea to train for it for once the federal law does eventually change since that industry will probably boom once weed officially has the same legal status as alcohol and tobacco and that will probably result in better paying jobs in that industry. But I also feel like its a good idea to train for something else as well while I wait for the laws to change, especially because more career choices can mean more money in your pocket if you make the choose the right thing to train for. I would appreciate any advice and any suggestions on what I should train for as I am still trying to decide, thanks!

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you are in US; consider the military.

new job, new life, second chance... leads to pension, education, better jobs, and other things.

TheCharmingGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you don’t like to cook, don’t do it for a living.
Don’t do anything you hate for money unless it’s temporary or you have no other choice. You have a choice. Don’t waste it on something you hate.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For starters, you should figure out what you want to do before investing the time and money in a training program.

Also, where do you live vs. where would you like to live? A fresh start can be good especially now while you are relatively young.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, don't make any major changes or career investments until we see how the worldwide communist takeover attempt is going to shake out

new job, new life, second chance... leads to pension, education, better jobs, and other things.
DON'T consider a career in the military until the traitors are taken care of. Wtf metalwater?

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, don't make any major changes or career investments until we see how the worldwide communist takeover attempt is going to shake out

DON'T consider a career in the military until the traitors are taken care of. Wtf metalwater?
why would it be bad for the man?

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Speaking as a veteran, at 28, I think he's too old for Active Duty but can still do the reserves. However, I highly advise against the reserves if you're looking at forming a legit civilian career. Also, if you go this route, do yourself a favor and don't go Army or Marines.

I'm glad I served but did so at 19 - the only age I'd recommend dudes join the military. At 19, I needed discipline and work ethic. There is absolutely no way I would've been able to tolerate the military's bullsh1t at 28.
yep. I was looking at what the man said is doing for now and what the concerns are about that. this is one way to change. The army is good if looking for some type of job, they have better and more complete setups for some activities. Navy is great for getting into tech. Age is ok for some of the programs. An older guy that is serious can do ok, they know how to take care of business and often will advance faster. Starting old will limit some of the advancement chances, but still, have a path to civil service and military contractors later.

If life is going no place, it's a way to find a new path and also eat every day while learning.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
why would it be bad for the man?
We have a corruption issue permeating all of our societal institutions. Assuming it gets corrected, joining the service is not a bad idea.

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We have a corruption issue permeating all of our societal institutions. Assuming it gets corrected, joining the service is not a bad idea.
yes, it's like that. still, for the individual the value is real. contributing to the greater good, that's a different story.

I have a HUGE amount of corruption around me. It's like women, have to see it for what it is and work with it. It's possible to do very well in such situations.

needimprovement250

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just wanted to bump this thread to give an update because things have gotten a lot worse with my current job. I’ve come to realize that this company treats their employees like dog sh*t because since posting this, they have shorted me on my last 4 paychecks, my boss who hates making a schedule for the employees and instead opted for making up everyone’s schedule as he goes has made me work 10 days in a row and then forgets how many days I’ve been working and acts like I’m the bad guy for complaining that I haven’t had a day off and threatens to take me off the schedule for a full week for wanting a day off after 2 work weeks in a row without a single day off. A couple weeks later, he decides to make a schedule but forgets to send it to me, so he sends it on a day that I was supposed to be off originally and lets me know that I’m actually supposed to be at work right now and that this is all my fault that I’m not there and right now and missing my shift, even though he never sent me the schedule ahead of time.

One day the bathroom was also broken and management said that we don’t have an answer on when it will be fixed, so just piss in the street if you have to go, and to top it all off: they moved all of the full time line cooks down to part time with zero notice and we only found out when the newest schedule was released and starting today they’re making me come in the next 6 days in a row and it still equals out to be less than 40 hrs a week. I think its been decided that I need to train for and get a better job.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Agreed but it's sketchy with the imbecile in power taunting the man with the nukes. It's definitely a option.

Op @28 you need drastic action. Follow Aaron clarey. Consider the trades. Look at leveling up.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just wanted to bump this thread to give an update because things have gotten a lot worse with my current job. I’ve come to realize that this company treats their employees like dog sh*t because since posting this, they have shorted me on my last 4 paychecks, my boss who hates making a schedule for the employees and instead opted for making up everyone’s schedule as he goes has made me work 10 days in a row and then forgets how many days I’ve been working and acts like I’m the bad guy for complaining that I haven’t had a day off and threatens to take me off the schedule for a full week for wanting a day off after 2 work weeks in a row without a single day off. A couple weeks later, he decides to make a schedule but forgets to send it to me, so he sends it on a day that I was supposed to be off originally and lets me know that I’m actually supposed to be at work right now and that this is all my fault that I’m not there and right now and missing my shift, even though he never sent me the schedule ahead of time.

One day the bathroom was also broken and management said that we don’t have an answer on when it will be fixed, so just piss in the street if you have to go, and to top it all off: they moved all of the full time line cooks down to part time with zero notice and we only found out when the newest schedule was released and starting today they’re making me come in the next 6 days in a row and it still equals out to be less than 40 hrs a week. I think its been decided that I need to train for and get a better job.
About the only fella i listen to anymore on the RP space is Aaron Clarey or Troy Francis.

In 2022 employees are ghosting. Commute through London when you can do the job no commute? A Internet and notebook or laptop. Your new part time job is looking for employment. I have made more money on crypto on a single play. Not to kick ad guy that's down. At 28 you should be 2x plus that.

Lastly, in the biz district, when a company goes full retard and takes a piss, it's a tell tale indication of the impending collapse that's coming. Abandon ship. Get a recruiter. Pay. Stack options and quit EFFECTIVELY IMMEDIATELY. As soon man you must always be sourcing be it money, options, girls etc.

markalem

Don Juan
Reaction score
Unless you can get stem, then Military, government, federal jobs,

needimprovement250

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I updated my thread on the general discussion tab last night and thought that I should update this one too.

About 3 weeks ago, I quit my job. I walked off the job mid shift after me and a coworker got into a shouting match about a hamburger order that I was making because he kept talking sh*t by saying that I'm working too slow and that he already made several orders while I was still working on that one. That was just the breaking point for me though, this job had been shorting my paychecks for the last 3 pay cycles, another coworker attempted to assault me during my shift, they moved me and all of the other full time employees down to part time with zero notice, and people in management had a habit of berating all of the line cooks on a daily basis, including me. This employer didn't have the best track record when it came to hiring either, the guy who trained me when I first started working there lived in his car and the coworker that I got into a shouting match with was a pandemic early release inmate who was locked up for attempted murder.

Fast forward to today and I still haven't found another job yet, I'm not really thinking about dating right now because adding unemployed to everything else that I already mentioned on this thread will send any girl running away from me, not to mention that going on dates really isn't in the budget if I don't have a job. So a friend of my dad's has an opening at his company and as soon as he told my dad, he then started pushing me to email him my resume ASAP. I was reluctant because this isn't the first time that my dad has helped me get a job through one of his friends and every time its ended up being a bad experience. My most recent job that I just described above was from my dad getting me in there through one of his friends, and before that he got me in somewhere else where they made me work 22 hours straight with no lunch or rest breaks. Yesterday I woke up to a voicemail from his friend I emailed my resume to and he said that he wanted me to come down yesterday or today to interview for this job, I didn't call him back because I instantly thought of all the bad experiences from my previous jobs that he got me into.

After that, my attitude changed to frustration, anger, and depression because I felt like my next job is being picked out for me and I don't even get a say and that I'll be stuck repeating this same situation again and again no matter how much higher I aim for myself. He assured me that this job will be different and that I won't have any bad experiences this time and started pushing me to call him back for the interview, instead I snuck out of the house when he was in the other room and went down the street to a liquor store and bought a beer and a pack of cigarettes (trying to quit, started smoking at my last job) to cool down and take some time to think. I never called him back and today he called my dad to ask why I haven’t gotten back to him yet, and my dad told him that I’m not interested in the job. That job would’ve been full time and paid $20/hr. But I’m not completely without work though because I'm returning to my summer job at the county fair that I've been doing since 2014 and really enjoy. But the problem is, that job is only part time and pays minimum wage ($15/hr in my state) my summer job will last until 4th of July and then I’ll either start with some kind of schooling or find a job on my own after that.

I also should add that I still live at home and I haven’t been taking advantage of what most people say is the biggest perk to still living at home as an adult: being able to save up a lot of money. I don’t have much money in my bank account and have virtually no savings. I feel so stupid for not taking advantage of this and the fact that I have hardly any money despite living at home all my life