Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

If you've Volunteered before, feedback here plz.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyway this just hit me now. i've always been striving for personal growth, and im actually interested in it now for some reason...i've visited sites such as nycares.org which has a variety of places to volunteer at. The thought of anything remotely being unpaid would immediately be rejected back a yr or more.

The reason? I see it as an excellent opportunity for more personal growth, as well as improve my socializing abilities/skills, in addition to expanding my social circle.

Anyway, this semester im a full time student and work part-time. Aside from this i only have saturday evenings and sundays free.

For those of you that's volunteered, tell me what you did, your experiences and what you got out of it. Any recommendations would be great also

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Become an election commissioner. The hours suck, but you get paid anywhere from $100-200 per day for doing nothing but sitting around talking to anybody who comes in to vote... plus, it looks great on a resume. I had to take a class for 2 hours (plus an easy exam at the end) to get certified but it's really nothing considering what you're getting... community involvement, a tax-free paycheck, a chance to socialize or study (I chose to study)... etc...

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
diablo, where exactly would i find that kind of position ? Would be great if the hrs were flexible

Doc73

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I actually volunteered at a couple of places, both of them food banks. The first place I volunteered at I was just a general labourer and although the work was rewarding, it was a bit repetative.

My second experience volunteering was a lot better. At first they had me working in the warehouse, but when they found out about my skills at troubleshooting and repairing PCs and networks, they immediately moved me upstairs to help out with their computer problems. Every day for the next two months I went there, and put in a good 8 hours work daily. Had I stayed longer they were prepared to offer me an administrative-type position that would allow me to continue working with their network. That is, if they got the approval they needed. However since my savings were dry and I was offered a paying job in another city, I had to leave. The cool thing about it was they gave me a card wishing me the best and everyone that I worked with signed it. That and they even threw a bit of a going away party for me on my last day.

On an interesting side note I met a really cute girl whom I went on a couple of dates with when I first started volunteering there (I lost contact with her after she went back to university)

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
I'm all about social service...

Your in college, find out if your university has kiwanis circle k or american humanics. All cities have care-type groups, hands-on-city, red cross. Just look in your phonebook. I've had some of the best experiences in my life serving others.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ScrewIt
diablo, where exactly would i find that kind of position ?
It's handled by your city government. You'll need to call the Clerk of Court and tell them you're interested in becoming an Election Commissioner... they'll give you the info from there.
Originally posted by ScrewIt
Would be great if the hrs were flexible
That's hilarious. You only do it 3-4 times a year - every time that the government has an election regarding everything from presidental candidates to library taxes. You have to be there at 5:30AM Saturday morning and work until about 7pm. The hours suck, but it's easy, and it looks great on a resume.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Some ideas for volunteering:

Habitat for Humanity
Soup Kitchen
Animal Shelter
Big Brother/Big Sister
Nursing Home
Hospital
Zoo
Tutor kids