Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I think I may have been a victim of Asian racism!

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Hey,

So today I went to Chinatown in Boston with a female friend of mine (who is Chinese and speaks Cantonese) We went to a Dim Sum like atmosphere. For those of you who do not know what this is: There are no menu's or a particular waiter. Employees come by about every minute with carts with various appetizers. Much to my dismay, it is not your typical Chinese-American type food and contains some real exotic stuff.

First off I am a white person who looks Southern European. Everytime the person with the cart came around (was a different cart and person everytime) they would not even look at me. They would all turn to my Asian friend and converse in Cantonese in what type of food the cart had. They did NOT even take the time to explain to me in English what the dishes contained.

I found this to be quite rude on their part and was wondering if it was due to the fact I was white.

However, they could of easily just thought my friend would then turn to me and explain to me what the dish was.

So, my question is...are Asian people generally racist against whites?

PoloBlue

Don Juan
Reaction score
no,

I eat at Chinese teahouses all the time, most of those ladies pushing carts around dont speak fluent English, since most customers are Chinese, she spoke to your friend because she speaks the same language, she wasnt trying to be racist, it's just that you took it that way.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
im in the same boat as poloblue.

Generally they dont know english. So of course the'd point their attention towards the chinese person. and because of that they have lousy jobs pushing those carts all day. So show a little respect will you?

it's not always about racism

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by mahon83050
So, my question is...are Asian people generally racist against whites?
Yes they are. Thais are a prime example. Not really against whites, but against all foreigners (farangs) and mostly against blacks. They don't have the same understanding of racial issues we have in the west. (i've heard Japanese and chinese as well, but can't comment on them as I havn't had any personal experience with them).

Just as an example, there is this tootpaste commercial that is airing on national tv everyday. A really tall black man is walking down the streat with his head down. Everyone is afraid of him, giving him all these weird looks and stay from from him. He comes across this little girl that has her ball caught up in a tree. He picks the ball down and gives it to the little girl. The little girl runs screaming away to her mother, clearly afraid of the black man. The black man goes back to his hotel room, lays down on his bed and *poof* he's transformed into toothpaste. And the punch-line comes....."Not everything black is bad for you...."

Now, in everyother country this would be illegal, but in Thailand it's accepted. I could name numerous other examples as well.

However, I don't think what you experienced was racism, but rather lack of English skills.

Last edited:

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was a victim of European racism once! In Paris I said to this french dude, "Hey frog, can I have some food before you surrender to the Germans again!" and he spits at my feet! Then I went to Italy and said to a waiter, "Hey Mario, give me some pizza or I'll raise an Ethiopian army against you!" and the italian waiter spits at my food!

Damned racists! :eek:

Seriously though, most waiters in asian restaurants can't speak English that well. I mean if you had an education and was fluent in English, why would you work at a restaurant for $10 an hour?

Asians can be racist (all humans are), but usually in more subtle ways than Americans.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diplomatic_lies
Asians can be racist (all humans are), but usually in more subtle ways than Americans.
uhmm..no.

I went to this zoo in Bkk and the pricelist for entrance went like : "Thai : 10 baht, Farang : 100 baht, Black : 150 baht"

And a huge ass sign infront of a Hotel : "We do not like Arabs, they are dirty, smelly bad men! Do not stay here!"

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Um...ok. I'm doubting what you're saying, because it just sounds a little extreme. Are you sure you didn't read wrong? (I find it weird why a sign would switch from English to Thai, then back to English - "Thai", then "farang", then "Black").

As for the sign, maybe someone grafittied? I've seen signs in the US saying "nigs get out!" in front of restaurants.

Show us some pics of those racist signs, and we'll see if its just a misunderstanding.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol I assume you've never been in LOS before?

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
here you go,

coudlnt find a pic of the arab one, but this one will do

who said pricing should be fair?

the left column is for Thais,

and the black toothpaste i mentioned,

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just to confirm, did you take those photos yourself, with your own camera? (as opposed to crap floating around the Internet). That toothpaste, for example, seems a bit weird - its too flat, not 3D - like someone just photoshopped it.

I'll have to ask, because one of my friends is a travel writer who spent a lot of time in Thailand, and even though he's white, he hasnt mentioned any particularly violent racism. Although Indonesia does have a LOT of violence related to ethnicity, but not against white people.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1) I have a couple of picture that I took myself, but unfortunatly they arnt digital. I found these pictures at http://www.bangkokbob.net/strange.htm It's not crap, and if you've been to LOS, you'd realized what I'm talking about. Btw, who the **** would photoshop a god damn toothpaste???? But whatever.

2) Who the **** mentioned 'violent' racism?

3) What I'm saying is that your assumption that the racism in Asia (especially in Thailand) is more 'subtle' than in the US is quite wrong.

sorry for the ****ty ass english, ive been up all night studying for my econ final tomorrow

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Every chinese buffet ive been to the waiter has been rude as sh*t. They have sh-i-tty attitudes and watch us like we just murdered someone. I just think they hate americans, they do the same thing when id be with my asian friends too.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by RarelyGetAHairCut
I thought asians loved white people
jk
only if the guy's marrying their daughter. haha

Anyway in general immigrant chinese people have pretty ****ty manners. Japanese immigrants could probably treat you better at a restaurant, but that's just a facade they keep for business purposes.

Europeans have a pretty big egos also. anyone care to correct me?

john_x

Don Juan
Reaction score
how the hell can you call that racist?
and even more so how the hell can you care?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its kinda like when certain minorities only talk to each other and they have their little clicks and sh*t. If i go to a black restaurant with a white person and they serve ignored them and focused on me, i could see how that could be considered racsist.

PoS

Don Juan
Reaction score
I know for FACT that most asians (East asians) do not like blacks and hispanics. Asian business owners in cali only hire mexicans and they treats them like dirt. And most of you think asians have respect for whites, just go visit L.A downtown, you'll find out how much respect they have for white people, especially koreans. They are the most xenophobic people on earth ...

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's because you guys live in the United States, the most screwed up place in the world. It's one of the few places where ordering a "black coffee" can be constituted as an invitation to war.

Americans have an attitude problem, seriously. I mean, nearly 30% of Australia is multcultural (Asians, Italians, Indians, etc), and I've only heard 1 person make blantly racist remarks.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PoS
I know for FACT that most asians (East asians) do not like blacks and hispanics.
How is it a fact? Have you met "most" East Asians?

They are the most xenophobic people on earth ...
You've just insulted an entire race of 2 billion people, and you're criticising other people for racism?

By the way, I don't think Asians or whites have anything to do with it. Its probably the fact the United States is one of the most screwed up countries in the world. Where else can you get into a fight for ordering "black coffee"? The US has one of the lowest living standards in the world (in the first world countries)

Doc73

Don Juan
Reaction score
Its not just in America that that stuff is happening.

I live in Canada, and for the last two years I have had to listen to my best friend go on about the troubles with his girlfriend. The problem? He is half asian, and she is east indian. Where they live there is a very sizable asian community, especially east asian. The asian community for the most part only believe in dating within their race, and if they catch you dating one of their own then you are in for a world of hurt. In fact thats the main reason my best friend and his woman are breaking up. Because her parents are adamantly against her dating anyone not east asian and she is too scared to tell them of her relationship.

Canada may be one of the more tolerant countries out there but believe me a good percentage of the minorities here are blatantly racist.