Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I need a break, seriously

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I say break, I don't mean a break from work. Actually quite the opposite. I need *to* get to work, but that seems all but impossible in the US right now. Normally I don't post real life musings, but its starting to get ridiculous.

I have 3 teeth that need crown work done. Most of my good cloths are falling apart. My car stops randomly while driving and needs new breaks neither of which I can afford. All interviews I have had have been flops, or the job position has been closed. Hundreds of applications, cover letters and virtually no feedback. Regular jobs won't respond to me since I have a technical background. A promising lead I got yesterday after a great phone interview and landed an interview with literally just canceled the position this morning.

Whatever its life. I get it. Its not the end of the world. But all this **** is really adding up mentally. I have not had one good piece of news for a long ass time. I went to two interviews last week, and one just wouldn't work out and the other I didn't get in the door becasue I was not qualified ( IT support role). I have done numerous walkins and applications for regular jobs just like we all did in high school and nothing. Follow ups? they tell me to wait longer.

I am asking for one bounce to go my way. Just one. I know you make your own breaks in life, and I get that relying on luck is a fools gambit. However, for the elements which are out of my control, I wish just once I could get something positive or uplifting back. Much like a coin that can land on tails 1000 times, all I want is one flip to land on heads.

Someone slap some sense into me. I am level headed, reasonably smart, hard worker, and persistent. The only thing I have done well is friggan women, and thats probably because they aren't a focus on life. What a joke. I actually stopped dating one of the girls because of my situation since I thought it was irresponsible.

The action plan is to continue to follow up on all contingencies, fire off applications, walk in, harass my buddies in industry, earn part time money, and keep moving forward. If the entire world is going to tell me no, its going to be looking straight at me. I still work out, eat healthy, and try to maintain a winning attitude. But when your 0-85, reality sinks in.

so go ahead fire at will. Either way, thanks for listening. Constructive comments welcome. Suggestions encouraged. Name calling, not so much, but if its within reason, go for it.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Clothes you can find at the thrift store for cheap if you're low on cash. I found a almost brand new blazer (didn't even look worn) in one and a pair of soviet era binoculars for dirt cheap. Amazing optics.

Brakes, if you're comfortable with tools its a DIY job. Should take you a few hours to replace the pads. It's recommended to replace rotors (or get the surface refinished) every few brake changes because they get scored. Touch the surface to see what I mean. Should be fairly smooth for best contact.

I haven't done drum brakes so I can't comment, only disc.

So you're saying these jobs are passing you because you're too qualified? What kinds of places are you applying to?

SamTheHobit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just keep marching on man.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Boy do i know how you feel.

I'll sum up the last 2-3 years of my life for you.

PTSD from bpd breakup that lasted about 1 year.
My sister boyfriend begs to takeover the business and with much begging and convincing he takes over my family club on a lease of 5 years. I maintain my position as a bartender as part of the deal.
Family runs out of money and I’m forced to take out a50k loan to finish up senior year.
I take a friend home who is attacked by a drunk college student who I beat up and send to the hospital.
I graduate from college.
Find out bf isn’t meeting lease requirements and that’s why my family couldn’t afford my tuition and to pay a lot of bills. I majored in business, finaled in a business competition and have worked the damn business/run it countless of times. I should have credibility (its my family business afterall).
Find out about a warrant for my arrest, I go to jail and pay my bail with all the money I have saved. Borrow 1k+ from friends to pay lawyer.
I set up a whole presentation to takeover the family business Incorporating P.O.S. into the business tracking inventory, accounting, sales, etc. Pay pal on website to secure deposits instead of taking deposits in person, and having online schedules for clients to view available dates instead of calling my dad every time. Online and computerized employee work schedules instead of word of mouth. My dad had no clue about what i was presenting about and cursed me out saying I have no say in this and he's a man of his word. (since he gave it up he ain't taking it back). I get into a huge argument about how they are ruining the family and that this guy has not just missed 1 payment, he has missed 8 monthly payments. fvcking 8 strikes and its affecting my college and personal debt. I get into a huge argument and leave home taking all my sh1t with me.

Credit bard debt piles up.

I experience real starvation related hunger for the first time in my life. I watched as friend and other people threw away their scraps and leftovers and how bad I wanted to ask them for it. I couldn’t show how bad I was doing so I kept it to myself.

Lawyer charges 5k for court fee’s which I delay. I am facing 10 years behind bars for agg assault for defending my friend, trial by judge.

Phone gets disconnected.

From this time, a little bit prior and up till I landed my job I applied to 900 jobs all documented and tracked on excel. I learn how to sell and market myself.

Friend talks me back into about how I was wrong for leaving when my family is down, saying I should better myself so I can help them if they can’t help themselves. I go back home.

Land a temp job while still job hunting. They question me about my record and I tell them its still pending and I was only protecting a friend.

I land my job. Pay my lawyer in installments.

Last payment to lawyer and I am found not guilty. All my debts besides school related loans have been paid off and I moved to a new city.

i'm leaving out alot of minor details but life sucked real bad back then. I thought it could only get worse if some random stranger came up to me and shot me but i just kept telling myself it only gets worse before it gets better. Prepare, endure and survive.

I survived.

---edit

let me add in at the beginning of all this i was close to needing an oil change. i didn't get my oil changed for until a year and a half later.

My brakes were shot about when i got arrested and i got a flat tire.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thats the plan bru. Been sending out apps/ making calls most of the day. Just had another phone interview, and a debrief as soon as I am done w/ this post :)

I could save a ton of money just buying OEM front/ rear, but I would forgo surfacing the rotors. they seem okay. no pulsing while breaking. Its questionable how good a job I could do for it being the first time. Its a risk. Pay more up front to ensure it wont be an issue, or take the risk and possibly push back future interviews ( not that this part of my life is going very fast right now). I also suspect a sensor issue w/ the car stalling. Gas mileage is still good, and nothing mechanical seems foul. Its probably O2 or something stupid.

So you're saying these jobs are passing you because you're too qualified? What kinds of places are you applying to?

Within my field, I have applied to places like Boeing, Agilent, Lockheed Martin, and those kind of places. Also throw in smaller more regional firms too. Those are places would be a good fit. For jobs outside of my field, its mostly about getting some income on the short term. Jobs like working service, cashiering, IT helpdesk, and other stuff have all but passed my resume over. Think about it, why would someone who can eventually earn 35 $/ hr work at something that pays 8.75 $/ hr? Probably a flight risk mentality as a guess...

I have had this when playing hockey too. Sometimes bounces aren't going your way. After a long enough time, you start to question why you can't score or win games. Yet longer, and you'll believe sometimes messed up. This even happens on a professional level, and they have full time physiologists working with athletes to help mitigate these effects. Watch the first episode of the penguins/ capitols 24/7 HBO special, and this occurs on a group level as well. When nothing goes ones way, it gnaws away at you and frustration broods.

ha ha enough tying. time to make some $hit happen.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AAA, good lord. what a bum rap right there. I don't even know what to tell you since my situation seems like mambi pambi land compared to yours.

But hey, at least we got these forums and people who might understand. Sometimes its tough posting this stuff especially if you have given advice, and also considering some of the successful company we are in. No one wants to out and say how much their situation sucks around successful people.

The one thing I think we can agree on is that when we come out of our respective situations, we will be much more hardened because of it. I mean daym after your stretch of crap, I am not sure anything else could bother me after coming out of that.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I became pretty good at interviewing during my stint of 900+ job apps and i'll give my 2 cents.

Experience is very important which you have because that allows you to actually apply for positions. Second a nice resume, decent writing skills or just good writing skills, will make a cover letter stand out, all will help you land the interview. The most important part is the interview.

This has to be learned on the spot during and after your interview. I used to show up 30 minutes sometimes an hour early for my interviews because i thought earlier the better. shows im on time/early for all my engagements.

don't be more than 15 minutes early, i lost one position because i was too early and i think the receptionist bothered my interviewer and kept telling him i was here waiting or the fact that she called him an hour ahead of schedule saying i was here which he wasn't ready for.

Be firm about what you know, give examples that are humble but direct and about what you don't know explain that just because you don't know it now doesn't mean you won't know it later. Show that you are a problem solver and you can handle not only your own weight but much more.

to my interviews i brought my business concept paper that i finaled in and presentations i have done in the past.

This stuff is just my advice from experience but its really hard to learn how to sell yourself and incorporate these things until you see what you're doing wrong.
-----

funny that you mention that after coming out of that nothing would phase me anymore. Nothing did until i resumed my normal life. After surviving that sh1t you'd think i'd atleast be able to talk and approach women whenever i wanted. Nope. I actually went back to my normal self, it's weird what survival instincts do to a man.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
synergy1 said:
I could save a ton of money just buying OEM front/ rear, but I would forgo surfacing the rotors. they seem okay. no pulsing while breaking. Its questionable how good a job I could do for it being the first time. Its a risk. Pay more up front to ensure it wont be an issue, or take the risk and possibly push back future interviews ( not that this part of my life is going very fast right now). I also suspect a sensor issue w/ the car stalling. Gas mileage is still good, and nothing mechanical seems foul. Its probably O2 or something stupid.
You can always get a gearhead friend to help you out. As far as car stalling and O2 sensor issues, you can diagnose those yourself for cheap. Assuming it registers with the car's ECU.

With this: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/obdii-usb-car-diagnostic-cable-black-42822

An OBDII reader, USB dirt cheap. Just plug it into a laptop and download some free software. The one I gave you a link for works on Skoda, VW, Audi... European cars mostly.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd say of what you listed, I am pretty much on track to be a good candidate for 99% of the jobs I apply for. The big issue now is that thousands of engineers are applying to the same jobs. Did you know I found out I didn't get some jobs based on conversations while I was out w/ other friends? My buddy tells me he is having a third round interview for a position that I knew I had applied for! Odds are if you look in new england for a role in my field, I could rotely tell you where it is and what its about. At my first interview, I saw some of my old students resumes in the pile. Oh, how fast it goes from comradeship to competition!

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You think engineering is bad, i'm in finance! You have to stand out and wow your prospective employer. Like i stated earlier, SELL YOURSELF!

I'm a writer so i was able to word things properly and transition my accomplishments in a way where they got better and better until i finished it off in the end wowing my interviewer. Find what way works best but you must verbalize your accomplishments in the interviewer by intriguing them and not pissing them off or boring them to death which your scripted mundane overused phrases (i have done this and seen their reactions).

Second advice apply for a job you actually want to do. I applied to a bunch of jobs that i had no interest in actually working for and when the interview came i kind of automatically didn't try to the best of my abilities even though i wanted to.

Don't worry about anyone but yourself. People were landing jobs left and right when i was searching, they had food on their table, they had boyfriends/girlfriends, etc. I had no one but myself and no one but myself to worry about. "you do you, and i'll do me."

Your friends have to eat too and survive, don't hold it against them and especially don't hold it against yourself because if you don't support yourself now when you're down, no one else will trust me.

It gets worse before it gets better.

It gets worse before it gets better.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any of the jobs I apply too look interesting to some degree. Its hard to know without getting in there and seeing the team, the product, and the management. I had no idea what my second job would have been like, but it turned out everyone was really chill and it was a good time when there was work.

The phone interview was a success I'd say. They are offering a 6 month contract work for something I know I could do. That would be enough to save some, and possibly go abroad which has been my goal. The midwest would be a huge change for sure.

Here is what coach would probably say ( type) on this thread, contexts changed of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqC03YOBIaA&feature=related

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry you're having trouble man. That 6 month contract job is a definite boost. Just gotta take it and run.

What kind of engineer are you? My dad is an overeducated engineer (has a PhD, masters all that jazz) and struggled for years trying to find a job that values his credentials. He's been quite well off the last 10-15 years, but his strategy has always been to go where the money is. He's worked in all the habitable continents except for south America. He's in the mid-east right now making a killing over there.

I hate to say it, but the US has a shiity economy with crappy fundamentals. There's enormous potential, but unless people change fundamental things, the US economy isn't gonna enjoy the global economic hegemony it once did. You should seriously consider moving up to Alberta if you have any kind of experience in oil and gas type stuff, or even civil. As long as you're willing to work hard and put up with our winters you'll make a great living. The women here are not as fat as in the US and the summers and the mountains are amazing. Calgary is always among the most livable places in the world. I'd have a very tough time being in a relationship if I still lived in Calgary because there's so many gorgeous women there. While the US and much of world was mired in the financial meltdown and resulting recession, we barely flinched.

With oil prices getting close to 100 dollars/barrel, we're almost gearing up for another boom... *sigh*... not even sure when the last boom ended!

Again man, get away from the US. I'm actually gonna move to the US in the next couple of years as I have a much higher income potential there with my background, but I'll never invest in the US, except maybe for buying a modest house. I'm gonna put all my cash back into Alberta as our economic fundamentals are outstanding: no provincial debt, low taxes, low unemployment, high per capita income and tons of natural resources.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sometimes all you have going for you is your endurance. Just keep going, you'll get out of hell.

What happened to your plan of moving down under?

Drdeee

Banned
Reaction score
Dude, it's only going to get worst in the USA, that thing is collapsing like the building 5, penthouse first and on purpose, that thing is rigged. Oil crises are coming, which will kill dollar. China and Russia will not be affected, since China is buying oil from Russia, and well, Russia has plenty of oil. Why don't you move to Russia or China? Don't worry about language, you'll take classes like at any other place. Good news is that your technical background is priced and you won't have trouble finding work, without language. It's easier than you think man, it starts with selling off as much as you can, if you have property put it for rent, gather couple of suit cases, and move. You will love every minute of it! I guarantee you that, as I know, I moved, and I'm loving it. It's like being born and exploring world for the first time. Feel free to PM me.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but the US has a shiity economy with crappy fundamentals. There's enormous potential, but unless people change fundamental things, the US economy isn't gonna enjoy the global economic hegemony it once did. You should seriously consider moving up to Alberta if you have any kind of experience in oil and gas type stuff, or even civil. As long as you're willing to work hard and put up with our winters you'll make a great living. The women here are not as fat as in the US and the summers and the mountains are amazing. Calgary is always among the most livable places in the world. I'd have a very tough time being in a relationship if I still lived in Calgary because there's so many gorgeous women there. While the US and much of world was mired in the financial meltdown and resulting recession, we barely flinched.

When you are immersed in a recession, its almost alien to think that others escaped unscathed. Starting in 2008, I saw co workers get laid off on at least 3 different occasions for the two companies I worked at. Like right now, I don't see anything except an unsustainable system subject to busts, booms, and layoffs. It would be refreshing to be someplace more stable. I actually applied to a environmental firm based out of Vancouver called Mott MacDonald but haven't heard anything back.

My background is in mechanical engineering which would lend itself well to petrol, oil/NS, mining, design etc. However lacking experience would mean a journeyman position would be most suitable. At my age, that can be a stretch. If the right opportunity came along in a place like Calgary, I would pack my Bruins Jersey and hit the road and get to work right away. My search has been concentrated mostly in the US, with some overseas.

What happened to your plan of moving down under?

This is still my first choice and my medium/ long term plans are focused on making it happen. I lack funds to move over there and give myself sufficient time to find work in my field. I shot off applications to about 15 firms, and actually heard back from a few of them - they said it would be beneficial to already live there. Understandable. The game plan now is to work a contract position or something to save up funds so I can go over there and look for work. Even looked at the University of Queensland for a masters program, but I am not interested in getting more debt for another degree. not yet. But it would be a good way to get your foot in the door for industry.

My friends company is also working with an Australian firm located in Brisbane who are going to hire the services of their company and will likely have a 3 month stint over there. He put my CV in and maybe i'd go out there and do some GIS field work ; maybe network a little too?

I'm gonna put all my cash back into Alberta as our economic fundamentals are outstanding

My parents were lucky with their real estate dealings in the past 25 years. Really lucky. In the early 90s , we saw another contraction of jobs and a house housing boom in Mid New Jersey. A company called Hovanian came in and literally built entire sprawls of cheap housing which crushed the value of surrounding housing. My parents wanted to move in 92, and we managed to sell our house at a good value. My best friends parents were not so lucky and took 10 years to sell theirs, and it was right down the road! Know where you are investing, and you should be okay. The supply has drastically outpaced demand and prices should be normalizing for years to come - good deal for you?

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And just when you thought the buzzer sounds, I literally get a call from a friend about a 10 week stint doing tedious engineering work which I more than readily oblige to doing. They gave me an offer for the work within 30 minutes of the call. Some money for future options, some work, and some breathing space.

Not out of the woods yet, but damn it feels good to get *something*. Maybe i should start a post about wanting to win the lotto? Just kidding!

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good going dude... keep plugging through and you'll eventually get something that's totally worth it. You're one tough determined persistent mofo, I'll give you that much. I remember all my dad's struggles when I was young. He must have applied to hundreds of jobs and not get anything. I vowed to never become an engineer after seeing his troubles. My bro is currently studying engineering at university, and I hope he'll be okay once he's finished.

Australia is a nice place to live. I lived there for about a year and a half when I was young (grade 5ish). Melbourne was a nice city, and I love going to school there because all we did was play sports! That being said, I could never imagine moving there now. Australia's healthcare system is quite a bit different from here in the West... I'm a health care professional, and in Oz you can be a fully practicing family physician in 5 years out of high school. In Canada it'll take you 6 years after high school to be a fully qualified critical care nurse. As a critical care nurse my skill set would be GROSSLY devalued there and I would make a fraction of what I make here. I'm gonna move to the US to study anesthesia... If I went to Oz with anesthesia credentials, then I could only make maybe 1/6th of what I would make in the US. Simply not practical for me... I'm not sure what Oz is like for engineers though. Keep in mind that housing costs tend to be quite high relative to the US.

You'd do well with mechanical. I have lots of friends here who are mech dudes and they all fair well. Regarding you applying to Vancouver... again a great city, but VERY high housing costs. Vancouver is consistently rated as the second most expensive housing market in the country. My house in vancouver would be worth close to 8-900k... and its less than 2000 sq. feet. Housing costs are very important to me as you'll need a place where ever you go and its nice to get away with spending a smaller proportion of your income on housing.

Alberta has expensive housing, but its still manageable as you'll make great cash here. I've only been out of school for 2.5 years and I've made >100k (just barely) every year so far... this does include money I've made stripping, but its still pretty good cash all things considered.

Have you thought about applying to Canadian firms? The middle east is always looking for qualified engineers. Quality of life would be kinda half ass, but you'd make great money. If you work there for 4-5 years then you'd have a good amount of cash saved up that you could re-invest, etc.

Hearing the state of the US economy is kinda scary when you hear first hand accounts from you guys... I guess my industry is a bit different as people are getting older, fatter and sicker. However, still will be weird to move out of a place where the economy is always strong.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Back in 2008, my girlfriend at the time told me about a Ben Affleck movie filming in Boston right across the street where she worked. It is called Company Men and is about pretty much the situation I am in now. The metamorphosis of Afflecks character is identical to mine ( sans the wife and kids), so it was interesting to watch and very easy to relate too. I won't spoil the ending, but its similar to what I did.

I remember all my dad's struggles when I was young. He must have applied to hundreds of jobs and not get anything. I vowed to never become an engineer after seeing his troubles. My bro is currently studying engineering at university, and I hope he'll be okay once he's finished.

It has made me realize that these things keep happening, and will happen again. Engineering can be very rewarding, but also very risky with jobs. You work in Aerospace in the USA? Expect to have a contract pulled, and be out of a job if you do. My father worked at Lockheed Martin on the Voyager projects in the late 80s and found himself unemployed when those projects went away. Its the name of the game, and I can't imagine it'll change 10 years from now, or 30 years from now.

Have you thought about applying to Canadian firms? The middle east is always looking for qualified engineers. Quality of life would be kinda half ass, but you'd make great money. If you work there for 4-5 years then you'd have a good amount of cash saved up that you could re-invest, etc.

I would strongly consider any realistic opportunities that came my way. By realistic , i mean entry level, mid level, or out of my field. If it is within my capacity to perform the job, I would be thrilled to have it. That said, I am simply not familiar with Canadian firms and have focused the majority of my research locally, and within my networks.

Hearing the state of the US economy is kinda scary when you hear first hand accounts from you guys... I guess my industry is a bit different as people are getting older, fatter and sicker. However, still will be weird to move out of a place where the economy is always strong.

being aware is all you need. Knowing ones enemy, and knowing yourself and in 100 battles you will never be in peril. The point of recounting my experiences is so that maybe others can know the reality that is the world; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

If I went to Oz with anesthesia credentials, then I could only make maybe 1/6th of what I would make in the US. Simply not practical for me... I'm not sure what Oz is like for engineers though. Keep in mind that housing costs tend to be quite high relative to the US.

Good lord man. From what I hear in the USA, even now, anesthesia will net you a lot. My mother ( whose family has been in medicine etc for a few generations) recommended it for me even. My pride got in the way, but it was a tempting thought. Seeing that you have a strong background, you should be able to get something comfortable here in the US even with the recession in full swing.

For Oz, and the natives can correct me if I am wrong, engineer makes a good living. I have done preliminary job searches, and engineering jobs pay anywhere from 80k to over 200k depending on experience. Mining engineers with senior/ lead roles can earn over 250k. Also from what I read, they pay roughly the same income taxes as the states ( 30% or so over 170k), and with their dollar trading at the USD, it seems like a good option. In short, it sounds like a promising potential in the field, and I am working right now on saving up to go over there and try to start a life.

runner83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
synergy1 said:
For Oz, and the natives can correct me if I am wrong, engineer makes a good living. I have done preliminary job searches, and engineering jobs pay anywhere from 80k to over 200k depending on experience. Mining engineers with senior/ lead roles can earn over 250k. Also from what I read, they pay roughly the same income taxes as the states ( 30% or so over 170k), and with their dollar trading at the USD, it seems like a good option. In short, it sounds like a promising potential in the field, and I am working right now on saving up to go over there and try to start a life.
It's interesting how you blokes over there talk about how engineering is tough to get jobs in.

Over here, it's the complete opposite, at least for civil engineers (which I am, plus my dad and sister – my dad in railways, me in project management, roads and bridge building, my sister in structural design). Up in Queensland you can pick and choose your jobs if you’re an engineer working in construction, resources (e.g. mining) or infrastructure.

I've done 6 years of study since 2001 (bachelor 4, then later a master 2 part time) and my employer paid for all but 1 of them.

When I wanted a change from my current employer mid 2009, the first job I applied and got an interview for I got.

After a week there they offered me a $10,000 pay raise just like that to try and keep me. Unfortunately, after 3 months because of a poor safety culture, I left.

Then when I wanted to come back to my current employer early in 2010, I applied for 3 jobs with them various locations, got interview invitations for all 3 of them, and got an offer from the one I did an interview for.

Late last year, I was testing the waters and applied for 3 jobs with my employer at a higher pay grade, various locations. I got interview invitations but turned them all down because in the meantime I'd had it confirmed about the project I'm currently on, where despite a lower pay grade, pay is better because of overtime, expenses etc.

But even there people are leaving because they've got better offers elsewhere.

One of my old bosses from one of the places I used to work has been periodically contacting me seeing if I'm interested in a change.

In my career, I've only been for 4 job interviews (1 was phone) and I've got the job in all of them. I do not know what failing at a job interview is like.

Point of this is not to talk about how great I am (since I do get nervous in interviews), but just to point out that in a lot of places engineering skill (at least of the civil kind) is in big demand.

I don’t exactly know about your type, but it’s probably up there as well.

If it's not working out where you are, there's bound to be somewhere where there is a demand.

As a guide, to become a registered professional engineer here will take 7 - 9 years out of high school (I could have done it after 7 back in 2008, I had the reports approved, but didn't bother doing the final application until late last year because it didn’t help raise pay for me at the time).

Your job figures look about right, although it really depends on how many hours you want to put in and location. Tax rates also look about right.

I was getting about $105k per year a few years out of uni as a grad, but that was with long hours in a remote location, and depends on whether you want a 9 to 5 job close to the ocean, or a 12 on, 7 off (or whatever) fly in fly out job in the middle of nowhere.

Engineers starting out of uni here have the 3rd highest starting salary after optometry and dentistry.

Your degree, depending where it was done should still be valid over here:

http://www.australia-migration.com/page/Engineers_IEA/260

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/index.cfm?0FA76D91-D0CB-1145-12C8-16FF03511C24

One thing you would need to look at is how to get local experience. It’s a bit of a catch 22 since it might be tough without local experience, but how do you get it? One option is get your employer to sponsor your visa.

My employer has done a fair bit of that, due to the lack of staff:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

Otherwise, mechanical engineers are still on the skilled workers list of people the country is trying to get in, so you could probably get a Visa through that regardless.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/

All in all, I’d say it would definitely be worth thinking about giving it a shot.

If you want me to track down any more local info, PM me.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmm Oz has changed a lot by the sounds of it... I remember my dad applied for tons of jobs in Oz (he was a post-doc at the time) and everyone kept saying he was overqualified,... like wtf??

Runner, how are housing costs in your neck of the woods?

Syn, ya anesthesia is a pretty cool profession... I'll only need another 2-3 years of schooling to call myself a CRNA. I'm guessing I'll have 6-7 years of critical care experience once I start an MS in anesthesia, and coupled with my other degrees I'll be stronger than most other people that are applying for jobs, etc. There's a huge demand for anesthetists across the US, as tons of them are retiring while the demand for anesthesia care continues to increase. Its actually a pretty cool skill set to have. I know I can make >200 k as a gas guy, but will have to work 50+ hours/week and take on a moderately intensive call schedule. Its all good though, as I know I'll really enjoy the work.

For me I value the experience of the actual work more than the cash I gain from it. I know engineering is a sweet profession as you guys work 9-5 in offices, and get to dress up and stuff, actually get weekends off, and don't work nights, etc. However, I could never do it and be happy... I need life and death situations where I can help influence the outcome... in a sick sort of way I love responding to cardiorespiratory arrest calls at 4 in the morning, knowing that my actions will mean life or death for some poor bastard. There's also a myriad of learning opportunities. Sometimes I swear its like I'm getting paid to go to school.