I might start practicing Karate

Sato21m

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
When i was like 10 i was in karate for like 2 months then i quit.
Then i was 13 i pratice for 3 months and that was about it. So now i'm 20 i wanna know if is not bad starting again cause i'm 20 i dont care if is karate or something like martial arts but what you guys think.

Fatality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Learn to grapple or kickbox.

Both are more practical in an eevryday fight.

Spike_the_cowboy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Hollowpoint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MindOverMatter - Correct.
MrBond_Age - Moron
Fatality - Correct.
ultrashogun - kyokushin is the best HARDCORE karate out there.
I have total respect for their practioners, some of them are TOUGH TOUGH guys.

Dayr0n - Go to www.bullshido.net forums and give your location and ask for a good school in your area.

MrBond_Age

Don Juan
Reaction score
Nasty: In no way am I blowing off Martial Arts for I am praticing Karate and I currently have my brown belt. Im just saying that there are other pastimes or hobbies and that beggining training in a martial art shoudnt be done lightly. He did it 2 times already. Maybe its not his way.

Spike_the_cowboy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MrBond_Age
Maybe its not his way.

"No way as way, no limitation as limitation."

If you guys get too hung up on "styles" or "ways" then you're gonna get your asses kicked. Routines lack adaptability -- be formless.

"Too much horsing around with unrealistic stances and classic forms and rituals is just too artificial and mechanical, and doesn't really prepare the student for actual combat. A guy could get clobbered while getting into this classical mess. Classical methods like these, which I consider a form of paralysis, only solidify and constrain what was once fluid. Their practitioners are merely blindly rehearsing routines and stunts that will lead nowhere.
I believe that the only way to teach anyone proper self-defence is to approach each individual personally. Each one of us is different and each one of us should be taught the correct form. By correct form I mean the most useful techniques the person is inclined toward. Find his ability and then develop these techniques. I don't think it is important whether a side kick is performed with the heel higher than the toes, as long as the fundamental principle is not violated. Most classical martial arts training is a mere imitative repetition - a product - and individuality is lost.
When one has reached maturity in the art, one will have a formless form. It is like ice dissolving in water. When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style."-- Bruce Lee
Now thats good advice!

Question: What are your thoughts when facing an opponent?

Bruce Lee: There is no opponent.

Question: Why is that?

Bruce Lee: Because the word ''l'' does not exist. A good fight should be like a small play, but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit -- it hits all by itself (shows his fist). Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it.
You see, karate and the like are only so much nonsense...;)

Last edited:

fullpint

Don Juan
Reaction score
Do one of the following:

BRAZILIAN Jiu-Jitsu (not Japanese!)
Muay Thai
Western Kickboxing
Western Boxing

If you're not sparring, then your not really learning anything. Fighting is all about instincts. You have to spar to hone your instincts.

Traditional Martial Arts (TMAs) such as Karate, Tae Kwan Do, Akido, Hapkido, Kung Fu, Wing Chun, etc... all have some value to them, but they all leave alot to be desired. They all spend too much time on katas (which are worthless for making you a better fighter), and not enough time on sparing.

If you ever hear anywhere that "our techniques are too deadly for the street, UFC, for practice, etc..." then your bullsh1t detector should go off immediately.

Good luck

ultrashogun

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You see, karate and the like are only so much nonsense...
Stop missquoting Bruce Lee, although Im not a big fan of his, I know he was a great fighter, dont use his words out of context to pump up your ego.

BTW, Lee also said "A punch is a punch, a kick is a kick", to the guy who started this thread, use this advice when choosing your school, because it doesnt really matter which style you do as long as your doing good quality, high intensity, full-contact sparring.

ultrashogun

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You see, karate and the like are only so much nonsense...
Stop missquoting Bruce Lee, although Im not a big fan of his, I know he was a great fighter, dont use his words out of context to pump up your ego.

BTW, Lee also said "A punch is a punch, a kick is a kick", to the guy who started this thread, use this advice when choosing your school, because it doesnt really matter which style you do as long as your doing good quality, high intensity, full-contact sparring.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I disagree with the whole "Punch is just a punch, and kick is just a kick" philosophy. I mean Bruce Lee is right in the sense that all punches/kicks hurt, but there is more to it then that. Some kicks are easier to execute and harder to defend then others, same with punches. You have styles that teach very finesse oriented kicks/punches (twk), and ones that teach efficiency (muay thai).

For example, TWK will teach you all sorts of fancy kicks that look like something out of a Van Damme movie, but in reality, they're very easy to defend against and you will get destroyed by anyone that is trained in a more practical MA, like Muay Thai.

Although all punches and kicks hurt, you want to train in a school where practicality and efficiency is more valued then tradition.

Watch some combat vids of Karate/TWK martial artists fighting in the ring against a thai boxer, and you'll see that not all punches/kicks are the same.

DraGon_luv

Don Juan
Reaction score
Let me Put an END to all this!

Okay your lucky i read your post,

when i was a kid i did Tae-kwon do for many years.(good for my self esteem and cardio) but other then that it did really help my fighting skill.

i stoped until just last year, i was in the same situation as you.

I Wanted to be the Best FIGHTER I could be. So i did my research.

the result were WING CHUN kung fu, and Brazilian jiu jitsu.

i tried the wing chun school out for a bit, i didnt like it.

after only 1 class of BJJ wow!!!! i was hooked.

All the many years of UFC will agree with that,

Now heres the catcher,At my school

They not only teach you BJJ but there is a Muay thai in that school, and the Most efective

Which is Called Vale Tudo a combination of Muay Thai and Bjj With no Rules involved.

with Thai you will be a good stand up fighter, But 80% of fights end up on the ground!!! thats were Bjj ,kicks in you will be a unstopable.

or yeah and on mondays we do judo simply for throws,for half an hour!

Find a Good Bjj school/mixed martial arts chool(MMA) , they will surly have thai kickboxing there and vale tudo,

anything with a Gracie name associated to it is good!!