I honestly don't know how some people get through life

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't mean to sound like the narcissist I am (relax, I'm at least half kidding) but how do people get through life?

I mean, some people are just TOXIC. As in I don't know how anyone could speak with them for a minute or two and not think "Man, what an ASS HOLE". There's a big difference between looking out for #1 and being a self righteous pr!ck. How do these people make friends? It isn't with OTHER self righteous pr!cks, cause that would be like like mixing oil and water.

Then there are the stupid people. I don't mean uneducated, I mean STUPID. As in, it doesn't matter how much education they have, they are just plain STUPID. And I don't fault someone for having a lower IQ, but that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about people who probably CAN string two sentences together, but for whatever reason they don't. It's like they are too LAZY to put any effort into communicating even on a basic level.

But you know the kind of people who REALLY piss me off? The ones who think the world revolves around them. The kind of person who walks into my retail store, and when they don't IMMEDIATELY (we're talking 5 seconds) see someone working they shout "HEY!" or they whistle. If I didn't have to treat them as I do other customers, I would smack them upside the head.

The thing about this type of person is that they will ONLY do this to someone who can't call them on their sh!t. Such as a retail or hospitality employee, or a customer service rep. There have been numerous times where it took everything I had to bite my tongue when I witnessed a grocery store employee or a waitress getting abused by one of these cowards.

How do these people get through life?

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Not enough people standing up to these miserable bastards basically Str8up.

As for the stupid people who don't say much my uncle is like that but has his sh!t together in every other area and maybe the stupid people you run into are like that as well or have someother benefactor like parents or love interest that supports them through life and gets them by.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
Just as there are winners and go-getters there are those at the opposite end who are just fvcked up and LOVE IT. It's the lot they choose because it gets them the attention they so desperately crave.

I've learned that there are people who are just plain old broken. Inside and out. Leave them be.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
KarmaSutra said:
I've learned that there are people who are just plain old broken. Inside and out. Leave them be.
I'm trying to figure out a way to be able to get through life without having to deal with them, that's the tricky part.

Goddammit, if I could just get a fukkin break!

Had to hire an appliance repair company the other day. I was doing my mom a favor and was asking if they would do the repair and get my mom's credit card info later in the afternoon when she gets off work. First guy I called didn't want to work with me and was basically rude, so I told him maybe it's best if I went with someone else. Second person I called got huffy with me as soon as I dared mention such a thing. Third guy sounded ok, so I set up an appointment with him.

Well wouldn't ya know, this guy shows up and has a hissy fit that he has to park his van across the street. He was getting a pissy attitude and tore out of the parking lot complaining that he has to "haul his tool bag all over the place".

He parked and came up to the door and I told him that I had to walk around to let him in, and he got pissy with me AGAIN. I was gonna blow it off but the second time lit the fuse. I told him "Do you want to do the job, or not? Cause if not you can go on your way and I'll call someone else to get it done".

I damn well didn't want to try to find another ass wipe and make another trip, but I wasn't gonna let a person I AM PAYING stand there and cop an attitude cause he had to carry a 10 pound tool bag an extra 40 feet.

Funny, as soon as I set his ass straight he was polite as can be.

Fukkers.

ChapStick

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I work at a fast-food place as a cashier (I'm just starting college).. and man... I totally agree with you man! A lot of people are just dumb or straight-up *******s...

CanuckinSK

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yup, some people feel they can just vent their frustrations on clerks. I worked in retail some years ago. One guy flipped out because his tires had not come in as promised.

He started screaming every four letter obscenity in the book. Other customers started staring at him and moving away from him.

God, it would have been so nice just to bash him upside the head! But, you just bite your tongue and apologize on behalf of the company.

His famous last words: I'll never shop at this fVcking store again! Really?! Please put it in writing... then guess who's back in the store a couple of weeks later? :crazy:

Companies need to start pressing assault charges on people who can't show respect, or at the very least, ban them from the store.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
STR8UP said:
I'm trying to figure out a way to be able to get through life without having to deal with them, that's the tricky part....
Unfortunately (at least here in the states) they outnumber the rest of us so not dealing with them is basically a pipe dream. On the path of life keep your eyes open in order to sidestep the piles of sh1t along the way...

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going to take another perspective:

Had to hire an appliance repair company the other day. I was doing my mom a favor and was asking if they would do the repair and get my mom's credit card info later in the afternoon wen she gets off work.
What?

What are you even talking about?

You want someone to repair your mom's appliances, and you'll pay them "later"? It is a fvcking miracle that anyone would be so trusting and generous to you on the 3rd call.

I would have gotten huffy. In fact, any assertive repairman would have told you to go fvck yourself.

He parked and came up to the door and I told him that I had to walk around to let him in, and he got pissy with me AGAIN.
I don't even understand this at all.

Why didn't you just let him in?

This guy is doing you a BIG favor, and you respond by making him carry his toolbox (a bit more than 10 pounds) an extra 40 feet + an extra 40 feet back, because you are, get this, "too busy" to spend the extra 20 seconds sweeping up the dirt that MIGHT be on his shoes?

Has it ever occurred to you that other poeple, not just you (!), can also be "busy"?

How do these people get through life?
Has it ever occured to you that, sometimes, just once a year, you are one of these people?

I may come across as a flamer, but I just know that it's sometimes easy to forget that both me and you can have a bad day sometimes, and sometimes you just can't find the strength to be Mr. Sunshine when people are asking you to do crap you don't want to do.

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
STR8UP said:
I had to bite my tongue when I witnessed a grocery store employee or a waitress getting abused by one of these cowards.
Why bite your tongue? I don't! I've worked in the Hotel industry for almost 30 years, I've been called everything but my mother's favorite child.:mad: The more wealthy and "upper class" the people are, the more demanding and foul-mouthed they get.

When I see a drug store clerk getting screamed at, I call the person on it. "HEY! Why are you being such a &*^@#* bastard? It's not HIS fault the store is out of your favorite butt floss ribbon!"

I know one day I'll get my ass kicked, but I can't stand rude people.:moon:

Precursor

Don Juan
Reaction score
These very tiny problems shouldn't bother you. C'mon man. You can't control how people act, but you can control how you react.

I work as a clerk at a pharmacy, and i ring up whatever the customer buys (including lottery). This very big guy (6'4 300-400 lbs?) Latino male comes in at least three times a week to buy lottery Tickets.

I Greet him, as i do to all customers.

Me: Hey, whats up man.
Him: *foul look* Is that how you greet a customer? "Whats up". What the F is wrong with you. That's not how you greet a person
Me: *I just ignore him and look away to ring up someone else's purchase*
Him: Hey don't you look away. That's not how you greet a person. You should say "How should i help you?"
Me: Listen, i'm just a highschool kid trying to make money. How can i help you?
Him: *He speaks to the customer who i just rang up* Aren't i right?
Customer: Just nods, and leaves *to avoid trouble*

So he ends up buying like 50 dollars worth of scratch card, criticizes my speed of delivering his scratchcards to him, and then you know whats ironic? He wins 100 dollars!!! LOL god!! some people!!!

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Phyzzle said:
You want someone to repair your mom's appliances, and you'll pay them "later"? It is a fvcking miracle that anyone would be so trusting and generous to you on the 3rd call.
Not "later" as in tomorrow or next week. Later as in when she gets off work at 4:30 instead of 3:30 when he gets finished. I wasn't asking for a $5000 revolving line of credit, I was asking someone to WORK with me to solve a problem.

The first guy I talked to said he needed payment as soon as the job was finished. I said, "Ok no problem. Would you be able to do it later in the afternoon then, that way my mom will be finished with her shift in the O.R. at the hospital and she can give you payment info?" To which he replied, "Well I REALLY want to do it early in the afternoon and get it over with"

That Budweiser might not still be cold at 5:15, huh buddy?

And he spoke in a condescending tone that I didn't care for so I gave my business to someone else, simple as that.

I would have gotten huffy. In fact, any assertive repairman would have told you to go fvck yourself.
An "assertive" repairman, huh?

We aren't talking about standing up for yourself when a woman behaves badly, we are talking about BUSINESS, where your livelihood depends upon repeat customers and referral business.

I was asking for someone to WORK with me. I wasn't being unreasonable. I wasn't being rude.

You would have gotten "huffy" huh? That makes a lot of sense from a business perspective. You wouldn't be very successful at business. Sorry, but that's the truth.

The guy probably pays $2,000-$3,000 a month for that yellow pages ad to get people to call him. Now I may not be the SHARPEST tool in the shed, and maybe this guy has all the business he could ever dream of, but treating a customer with contempt just because it isn't the EASIEST job in the world, in MY world of business that isn't a very good way to follow up on that $30k per year investment.

I don't even understand this at all.

Why didn't you just let him in?
It was a gated community and I had to go through the office to get access. He had to wait for about a minute.

This guy is doing you a BIG favor, and you respond by making him carry his toolbox (a bit more than 10 pounds) an extra 40 feet + an extra 40 feet back, because you are, get this, "too busy" to spend the extra 20 seconds sweeping up the dirt that MIGHT be on his shoes?
What? Dirt on his shoes? WTF are you talking about?

In a half assed attempt to explain away his poor demeanor, as he was working on the fridge he made a comment about how "it's just easier when you can pull right up to the front door you know".

Man I wish I could only pick and choose "easy" work.

And let me address this "favor" comment.

First of all, after getting the rude responses from the other two people about coordinating payment, I said FUKK IT and ended up getting my moms credit card info so i could give payment IMMEDIATELY. I didn't even ask the last one to wait an extra hour.

Second of all, the guy KNEW he was going to be working on a condo in a DOWNTOWN AREA. We established this on the telephone. So when he pulled up and started getting pissy about it, he was WAY off base. I'm not kidding you, his tool bad probably weighed 10 pounds, and he had to park across a three lane street. And he was B!TCHING about that. That is UNPROFESSIONAL, and uncalled for.

Thirdly, when you are in business (which I am assuming you are not based upon your post) there is only one circumstance where you should be "asserting" yourself with a customer, and that's is when he/she becomes physically abusive. There's a fine line when it comes to verbal abuse. If the customer starts swearing or threatening violence, you might have cause to "assert" yourself. Otherwise, all you are doing is throwing business down the drain to prove to yourself that you were "right" and the customer was "wrong"

Anyone who knows anything about business knows this is non-negotiable.

Has it ever occurred to you that other poeple, not just you (!), can also be "busy"?
I was there waiting for HIM to show up, which I didn't make any issue of whatsoever because I understand that being a few minutes late HAPPENS. To ask him to wait one extra minute and park across the street instead of in the living room IS NOT unreasonable.

Has it ever occured to you that, sometimes, just once a year, you are one of these people?
It is very, VERY rare is ever that I am "one of those people".

I started working at age 15 in restaurants bussing tables and washing dishes. By the time I was 18 I was waiting tables and bartending. After that I went into a retail/service business. I have had to deal with the most wonderful people you would ever meet and also the biggest ass holes you will ever meet for 20 years, so I am VERY careful not to project my anger or frustration on someone who doesn't deserve it.

I may come across as a flamer, but I just know that it's sometimes easy to forget that both me and you can have a bad day sometimes, and sometimes you just can't find the strength to be Mr. Sunshine when people are asking you to do crap you don't want to do.
Again, in business you HAVE to be Mr. Sunshine. If you aren't, your competition WILL BE and he will get the business.

I own and/or manage more than 20 properties. On top of that, when a friend, business associate, family member needs a referral for stuff like this they often call me. If one of these repair people had been decent to me he would have gotten my business (and likely referral business) in the future.

On a side note....most of these people are self employed one or two man operations. If they WERE actually "businesses" in the sense that they had multiple employees underneath them, how long do you think that business would exist with employees who have this kind of an attitude with customers? Not long. A business is built on making good relations with customers, NOT pissing them off because "I don't do that".