I have absolutely no sense of style whatsoever

Reaction score
Newbie AFC here. I've been reading this site for a couple weeks now... no, stuck like glue to this site for a couple of weeks now upon getting out of a friendship zone that's kept me buried for two years of my life. I read every article and have completed the DJ Bible (the thread on the friendship zone I could've used to read about two years ago, yeah...), and I'm preparing to put myself through DJ Boot Camp. I'm actually quite excited about it... but one thing that seriously bothers me.

My wardrobe

Terrible. Full of mostly death metal t-shirts and tattered jeans and... ugh. I've always despised the preppy look until my recent outlook on things, and now I have no idea how to redesign myself, and I certainly don't have any prep friends/females to help me out here. I seriously would rather not start week 1 in public places without at least looking like a respectable male...

Where could I start? Are there any good fashion sites someone like me (20/c/5'11"/173) could get an idea from? Or better yet... what fashion lines are in? I understand the concept of wearing things that fit me. I DON'T understand the concept of stuff that matches, or what material looks good with other material, etc.

I'm going on a shopping spree this weekend and could benefit from some, ANY advice on this from you guys. Thanks!

becker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Abercrombie & Fitch. Pick up some cute sales girls while you're at it and kill 2 birds with one stone. :D

One on One

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey..that's my thread he pointed to you...some good stuff in there.

I've spent about $230 so far on clothes in the last few weeks and I'm gonna spend about $450...retail value is ridiculous like $800, but I'm shopping smart. The first thing you need to do is pick a goddamn style and be certain it's what you want. Don't pick a style because its cool or anybody tells you it's cool. You have to pick a style that you will feel 100% comfortable in and fits your lifestyle. If you dress like Abercrombie and hang out with a bunch of thugs, you're not gonna be confident. So, spend some time and figure out your style. Try a **** load of stuff on at every store in the mall. Figure out what you like and don't buy anything yet.

Then, make a plan of your style and the specific clothes you need to buy to achieve this style. Then, once again go around and figure out what brands you like\dislike, but don't buy much yet, just narrow it down.

Once you do all this, set a budget and plan what outfits you are going to buy. Then, go out and find some good deals. The biggest mistakes you could make would be rushing in to this because you'll waste a lot of money that way.

Aramas

Don Juan
Reaction score
One on One got it. Forget about turning preppie unless that's who you are. Bear in mind that some of the DJ bible was written by and for short fat bald losers that have nothing going for them apart from their money, so they have to resort to the 'high status' bullshyt.

Try doing it a bit at a time - replace the metal dude T shirts with black beefy tees and long tees. (they should fit snug around the chest and shoulders, hang to the belt line and stop) Replace the ragged crap jeans with pre-faded 501's. Get some stylish black boots and a thick black belt with a plain, stylish buckle. You'll still look cool to yourself and your metal friends, and the chicks will dig it too.

Get in shape and get a friggin' haircut!

Style is about quality and how you wear it, not a pre-fab look from a magazine. You already have a 'style', just refine it and tart it up a bit :)

Reaction score
Wear whatever you want. If you dress incongruent, you come off as such. Bad 'vibe'.

if you like to wear metal shirts and raggedy jeans, myabe that's 'out' for the girls you go for. If it is, then change your wardrobe slightly. Man, grow some muscle first. I don't think many chicks will prefer that GQ faggot with wimpy girl arms over the metal man with 16 inch pipes. If you're looking to wardrobe for improvement, you better not be hard up for improvement in other areas. Or else.

Lol.

Me, I wear dress shirts, always open to excess, wifebeaters, jeans and boots. Buncha people tell me I dress wierd and question my dress, but I have success. **** them either way.

Goodluck,
epitome.

Reaction score
This blows. There's not an Express or a Banana Republic within 200 miles of my ****ty location in TX (San Angelo). I'm not about to drive to Dallas. Argh!

I'm sure I can make do with retailers around here however. I'll save money anyway. This is going to be the first time I've ever put some serious thought into my clothing purchases... thanks for the tips dudes.

Reaction score
Eh... I'd hate to see something that looked great on a model and have it look dofy or incongruent on me in the mirror once it arrived.

I'll take a look at Express' return policy, though. They probably only accept credit.

gentleman193

Don Juan
Reaction score
First and foremost, make sure it fits. Well. Tailor if needed (did that for a Pea Coat, worth every penny). You can't tell the label at a glance but you *can* tell the fit. All decent online retailers allow returns no q's asked and many let you return to stores nearby to save shipping.

One trick: Order enough to get free shipping and then return the stuff locally.

Has anyone tried PaulFredrick.com?

Yagrash

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just get your own style, man. Nothing matters as long as you can pull it off.

My daily wardrobe is usually a t-shirt, worn out jeans, and moccasins/sandles, or a t-shirt, athletic shorts, and house slippers/sandles. Throw in a jacket sometimes when it's cold and I'm set for 90% of the time.

Some girls even tell me I have sexy legs when I'm wearing athletic shorts and house slippers. Which is really weird, because I do muay thai a lot. My legs are consistently bruised, pale, and hairy. I guess some chicks like the rugged look...

Of course, I've got suits, nice shirts, ties, khakis, and other **** like that, but I rarely wear it. Just for occasions that call for it. I also keep a few nice sweaters on hand, especially during the winter time.

In my own personal opinion, a few things essential to a great wardrobe are:

1) Nice ****ing pairs of jeans. Get some jeans that look GREAT on you. I generally wear Gap Wide Legs from like 2 years ago (do they still make the things? lol). My legs are huge, so they aren't too baggy, but they're baggy enough to come down over my shoes (I hate jeans that won't cover your shoes). I don't want them to cover my whole shoe, just 2/3 of it with the front sticking out.

You need jeans. You can wear one pair of jeans 3 or 4 times per week. They are ****ing staples.

2) A solid pair of flip-flops and a solid pair of casual shoes. I've got some house slippers that look like moccasins that are my staple casual shoe, and flip-flops aren't too hard to find. I've got tennis shoes, but I just wear them to the gym. I also wear house-slippers from time to time when I'm feeling extra-lazy.

3) Shirts without brand labels all over them. I don't care what you buy, just don't let them plaster "ABERCROMBIE AND FITCH" or "NIKE" with that gay little swoosh right across the front of it. I appreciate the economic system in this country to a certain extent, but I refuse to be a ****ing walking billboard. Personal preference. :]