Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I have a question about being hungry after working out

Falcon25

Banned
Reaction score
I'm trying to lose weight and get cut. I don't want to get big. I do 45 minutes of cardio six days a week and lift three days a week. But, I am so hungry at night (I don't go to bed till late) that I eat ****y foods. Is there any supplements to supress appetite? I tried whey protein and all that but it's just making me gain weight. I want to know what you would do? Eat fruit? Cheese? I feel like I'm putting it right back in. I'm 196 lbs and 5 11 I want to drop to 180 in two months. I do shoulders on Sunday's Biceps/Back on Wed, and Chest on Thur and light legs on Friday. But do cardio six a week. I want to lose this weight!!!! Should I drop the weights and just go cardio for a while?

Let's be realistic though, I don't have much cash so I can't go on expensive diets. Thanks for your response.

runner83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Check out the sticky: Fat Loss while still gaining muscle at the top of the Health and Fitness page, since that seems to have some good info.

If you want to cut, but still maintain muscle mass, then keep up the weights workout.

If you stop doing weights, then muscle will gradually begin to disappear even if you keep eating right.

If you stop taking in enough protein, then muscle will gradually begin to disappear even if you keep working out.

So if you want to keep your current level of muscle mass, you must maintain your weights workout and keep taking in enough protein.

Reduction in calories should come from carbs, and best to stick to low GI sources.

Cardio 6 times a week should help as well. It is different for everyone, so it will probably be necessary to tweak your eating plan and see what results happen.

EDIT: Post workout period is critical for maintaining / enhancing your muscle gains, so I would not recommend cutting back during this period, but during the rest of the day.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you like cottage cheese? It's good to eat before you go to sleep because of the casein protein in cottage cheese. Or you could eat some fat free greek yogurt.

Boxer

Don Juan
Reaction score
Fat metabolism is at one of it's peak after a workout. ( I say one because their are different theory about fat metabolism's peak and they all have valid points) So go ahead and chow down on that hamburger (assuming it's homemade) after your workout. Can you plan your dinner to be right after your workout? Go ahead and eat till your stuffed and let your body repair itself.

Dont bother with appetite suppressants It's a waste of money.

As far as midnight munchies go, just use some old fashion will power. Throw out your junk food and then you can't eat it. Feeling hungry is not a bad thing. Once you go a week with feeling hungry but strong enough not to eat it's a breeze after that.

Here's something you might want to check out. http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Diet-...2009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293487505&sr=8-1 Great for weight loss and is very time convenient.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're eating fairly clean (moderate to low fat, low salt, low sugar, low preservatives) then eating after a workout will only help. Eat till you're full if you want. This is one of the few times you can get away with it and not put on fat.

Assuming your diet is clean.

Twitch

Don Juan
Reaction score
Fiberous foods will help with hunger. A bag of mixed veggies and steak/chicken/pork is a nice post workout low glycemic meal. I suspect you are trying to force fat off. That will leave you very stuck very fast. Keeping insulin minimized at some point in the day will help with losing fat and not muscle.

Lets start with the BMR. Most people just guess, and they have no clue what their actual basal metabolic rate(the amount of calories you require to live each day and maintain weight) is. They want to cut and they reduce their calories by 500, but oh wait they lift weights too, but oh wait they do lots of cardio. They end up in a massive calorie deficit like 800+.

Your body does not want to lose weight this quickly. If you kept this up you would be a stick in 2 months. Your body will not let wither away. Your body lowers your BMR to match what you take in when you cut to quickly or for too long. Say a guy with a 2200 BMR accidently gets in a 800 cal deficit b/c he has no clue what his actual BMR is. After 3 or so weeks his new BMR will be around 1400 b/c his body senses starvation. Now to lose weight even further he has to reduce his intake too less than 1400. That is a starvation diet. The take home message is:
1. Fat has to be coaxed off gently
2. You need to know your actual BMR
3. If your metabolism is already toast you need to fix it before trying to lose fat.(In my experience this is that last thing someone trying to lose fat wants to hear.)

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Falcon25 said:
I'm trying to lose weight and get cut. I don't want to get big. I do 45 minutes of cardio six days a week and lift three days a week. But, I am so hungry at night (I don't go to bed till late) that I eat ****y foods. Is there any supplements to supress appetite? I tried whey protein and all that but it's just making me gain weight. I want to know what you would do? Eat fruit? Cheese? I feel like I'm putting it right back in. I'm 196 lbs and 5 11 I want to drop to 180 in two months. I do shoulders on Sunday's Biceps/Back on Wed, and Chest on Thur and light legs on Friday. But do cardio six a week. I want to lose this weight!!!! Should I drop the weights and just go cardio for a while?

Let's be realistic though, I don't have much cash so I can't go on expensive diets. Thanks for your response.
It's normal to feel hungry after a workout, that's the body's way of replenishing energy. IMO, you're spending way to much time on aerobics, you might cut the cardio to 30 minutes three days per week and extend your weight training to 1 hour sessions with something like this:

Mon. - benches, dips, pullups, pushups

Wed. - squats, lunges, chin ups

Fri. - deadlifts, rows

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Falcon25 said:

It's normal to feel hungry after a workout, that's the body's way of replenishing energy. IMO, you're spending way to much time on aerobics, you might cut the cardio to 30 minutes three days per week and extend your weight training to 1 hour sessions with something like this:

Fri. - deadlifts, rows

Weight training will build muscle and increase metabolic activity for up to 36 hours post workout, cardio only burns energy when you're moving.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Falcon25 said:

Fri. - deadlifts, rows

Weight training will build muscle and increase metabolic activity for up to 36 hours post workout, cardio only burns energy when you're moving.

Phoenixx

Don Juan
Reaction score
Eat cottage cheese, or if you really don't want to eat then brush your teeth.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
high intensity interval training. A great way to burn fat, lose some weight, build endurance and strength.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

I tend to burn through my weight fast if i don't eat enough which may be mainly due to what i do at home. I always do exercises inbetween everything at home. If my xbox is updating i'll do 10 pushups, if my netflix and streaming/loading, i'll do some situps, when i run to the bathroom, i'll grab the pullup bar and do a few pullups. This way i don't feel like i'm wasting any down time.

In order to supress my appetite to not gain weight, i eat big meals about two to three. I stopped doing this since i wanted to put on weight.

just my 2cents.

Last edited:

betheman

Banned
Reaction score
prepare one of these, theyre tasty no carbs and you can cut a slice when you get peckish without doing a lot of damage, if any!
Corned (ground ) Beef Quiche

Ingredients 1 large Tin corned (ground) beef. (take as much fat off this as you can!)
8 oz Very low fat cottage cheese.
3 Eggs
1 Onion chopped
Seasoning to taste
& Mixed herbs.

Pre-heat oven to 190 c, 375 f, Mix the corned beef and onion together. Place in the base of a flan dish and press down well. Beat the eggs with the cottage cheese. Season to taste and pour this mixture onto the beef base. Bake for 30 minutes until set and golden brown. Serve hot or cold. May be cooked in a microwave on high for 10 minutes and browned under a hot grill.
Tasty and filling left to cool will keep for days in the refridgerator and you can snack on it late at night if you really have to

escobar04

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Losing fat is basically calories in vs. calories out

eat most of them at breakfast and post WO but only if you have room to fill in the rest of your calories at night

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
escobar04 said:
Uh no it isn't. What you eat is also important and when you eat it.

Earlier is better. More natural foods is better, more filling so you eat less.

Also has other benefits like it tastes good. For example this week I ate the best cheesecake. It was made with fresh ricotta cheese, low calorie, low in fat. It was delicious. More flavorful and far heathier than the store-bought nonsense.

The Bad Ass Canadian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
escobar04 said:
This is absolutely 100% false.

Calories in vs calories out is a dogma that has been shoved down our throats for upwards of 60 years and is based on some really bad science. Look at any of the pre World War 2 studies on obesity, done by many german and austrian scientists and you'll see that they were on the right track.

Read Gary Taubes' "Good Calories Bad Calories" if you want all the science laid out for you; or his newest book "Why We Get Fat" which is a much more simplified version of the first book.

Fat storage and fat loss is dictated by hormones, and Insulin is the primary culprit. If we eat poorly, basically our genetics will malfunction and our bodies store fat no matter how much we eat or how little we eat.

Everyone is different and some of us are blessed with better genetics so we tend to remain lean even if we eat somewhat poorly. You need to figure out what you can eat and what you can't and then the calories don't matter.

Taubes' POV, and I tend to agree with him on this, is that we need to reverse the causality when we look at weight gain.

When a child is growing, they tend to consume way more calories to compensate. Meaning: The kid is eating because he's growing, not growing because he's eating. Same thing with myself, after a really heavy workout. I eat like a motherfvcker because my body is growing and needs the extra calories. I am not growing because I'm eating, I'm eating because I'm growing.

Then why is it that we assume if someone is fat that over eating is the cause? Why can't they be over eating due to a hormonal/genetic malfunction brought on by poor diet?

To put it another way; the fact that they are getting fat/fatter is leading them to need to consume more calories....They aren't getting fat because of those extra calories. The causality is reversed.

I reccomend his books, highly. They don't have an agenda or a bias. He simply states facts based on almost a decade's worth of research.

To the OP, Eat high fat and high protein at night if you find yourself really ravenous for food. Maybe some leafy greens for bulk.

Also, that's a heck of a lot of cardio, IMO. Cardio is way overrated.

escobar04

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The Bad Ass Canadian said:
This is absolutely 100% false.

Calories in vs calories out is a dogma that has been shoved down our throats for upwards of 60 years and is based on some really bad science. Look at any of the pre World War 2 studies on obesity, done by many german and austrian scientists and you'll see that they were on the right track.

Read Gary Taubes' "Good Calories Bad Calories" if you want all the science laid out for you; or his newest book "Why We Get Fat" which is a much more simplified version of the first book.

Fat storage and fat loss is dictated by hormones, and Insulin is the primary culprit. If we eat poorly, basically our genetics will malfunction and our bodies store fat no matter how much we eat or how little we eat.

Everyone is different and some of us are blessed with better genetics so we tend to remain lean even if we eat somewhat poorly. You need to figure out what you can eat and what you can't and then the calories don't matter.

Taubes' POV, and I tend to agree with him on this, is that we need to reverse the causality when we look at weight gain.

When a child is growing, they tend to consume way more calories to compensate. Meaning: The kid is eating because he's growing, not growing because he's eating. Same thing with myself, after a really heavy workout. I eat like a motherfvcker because my body is growing and needs the extra calories. I am not growing because I'm eating, I'm eating because I'm growing.

Then why is it that we assume if someone is fat that over eating is the cause? Why can't they be over eating due to a hormonal/genetic malfunction brought on by poor diet?

To put it another way; the fact that they are getting fat/fatter is leading them to need to consume more calories....They aren't getting fat because of those extra calories. The causality is reversed.

I reccomend his books, highly. They don't have an agenda or a bias. He simply states facts based on almost a decade's worth of research.

To the OP, Eat high fat and high protein at night if you find yourself really ravenous for food. Maybe some leafy greens for bulk.

Also, that's a heck of a lot of cardio, IMO. Cardio is way overrated.
that is NOT 100% false!!!!!

the whole tune/chicken diet only applies to some with horrible genetics.

if you're in an ok athletic shape and lift on the regular, you do not have to look at every single calorie label.

you can easily get away with eating chicken nuggets and sammiches allday as long as you do not go over the daily calorie intake

again, unless OP gas some awful genetics and a doughnut makes him gain 5 pounds of fat, then he does not have to worry and kill himself chocking on tuna/oatmeal

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
escobar04 said:
Well, it's not true. Let's put it that way. Things are a little more complex than calories in = calories out. Some calories burn faster than others. Some calories mess around with your hormone levels.

if you're in an ok athletic shape and lift on the regular, you do not have to look at every single calorie label.
How do you think some people become athletic in the first place? The worse your genetics, the more important diet becomes.

again, unless OP gas some awful genetics and a doughnut makes him gain 5 pounds of fat, then he does not have to worry and kill himself chocking on tuna/oatmeal
You're right. There's plenty of healthy foods and recipes that he can make. You would be surprised what a few spices can do to a meal.

The Bad Ass Canadian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
escobar04 said:

the whole tune/chicken diet only applies to some with horrible genetics.

you can easily get away with eating chicken nuggets and sammiches allday as long as you do not go over the daily calorie intake

Do your homework. Stop listening to what the "authorities" are telling you.

Your body and your fat cells are not like a bank account. Calories go in, and what you don't burn gets saved as fat. No, it does not happen that way.

Go on youtube and search "Big Fat Fiasco pt. 1-5"... This is basically the Cliff notes on Gary Taubes' book. It's a little over an hour long and though it doesn't cover everything, it does give you the key points. Watch that and then get back to me.

I can point you in 100 different places that can back up what I'm saying.

Carbohydrates are the enemy and the interesting thing about people who get fat, their bodies make them hungrier (thus eat more) in response to the weight gain.... Not the other way around.

Do your research instead of blindly believing what you've been told.

romangod

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Bad Ass Canadian said:
Go on youtube and search "Big Fat Fiasco pt. 1-5"...

I enjoyed the videos. Thanks for posting it. :up:

Cheers!