I can't gain weight

lxr

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been trying to bulk up this summer to get ready for university. I've been working out a lot and eating as much healthy food as possible, but no matter what i've been between 150-155 for the past year.

2 weeks ago i had worked up to 155. We went on a small cruise vacation that had unlimited food so I tried to eat as much of it as possible (that was healthy). Over the 7 days, I ate at least two plates at each lunch of foods like fruit, chicken breasts, and burgers. I ate about 11 nights worth of dinners (they let you order extra entrees if people didn't show up) of a lot of steak, fish, and sometimes indian food. for breakfast i had a lot of bread and soup. Then when i get back from the trip i find out that i've LOST one pound. the week since then i've tried to eat a lot as well, but this evening even right after eating a huge chicken indian dinner and 2-3 glasses of water i weigh in at 152.

This whole time i'm working out and staying fit. It doesn't seem like i have much fat to lose.... but i'm at a loss. Do you guys have any advice? at 6ft I'd like to be a bit bigger. The main thing i'd like to improve overall is my side profile. From the front I look pretty muscular. However, from the side i look seriously skinny.

Konada

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When you think you're eating alot, you're not eating enough. General problem with skinny guys, myself included at a point in time. Try to get 8 hours of sleep PER day, no crap about making up the next day. From experience anything less than that and I gain less weight. Drink lots of water as well 2-3 cups is well below sufficient. Try to get fish oil supplements if you haven't done so, works great for muscle recovery.

Also, try to eat at least 5-6 times per day. Usually 3 big meals alone can't help us skinny guys gain weight. The aim is to feel 'full' all day. If you're full, eat until you feel like gagging. And eat some more

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You arent eating enough. You need to count your total cals for a week, and your macros (pro, carbs, fats) as well. For a 150 lb guy you need to be eating at least 3000-3500 to put on some lbs. However, you also need to be lifting HEAVY weights about 3 times a week to grow muscle. Getting big is a very simple formula: Lift heavy and basic, add weight each week to the bar. Eat big and (mostly) clean, adding 500 cals per week when you stop gaining weight. Monitor your progress in the mirror and in the gym.

I guarantee you arent eating enough. You need to stretch your stomach and MAKE yourself eat food every few hours. Not rice cakes either. Lean meats, grains, dairy, veggies. Shakes to supplement.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We must know WHAT you eat in order to help you out. Fruit is good, but if you're trying to gain weight, forget about it.

Eat calorie dense and delicious foods, also lots of protein to build muscles. You want to look like the Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters or you want muscle?

DeMarco91

Reaction score
lxr said:
We went on a small cruise vacation that had unlimited food so I tried to eat as much of it as possible
Haha that sounds like me. I recently went on a cruise to Alaska beginning of August. Ate roughly 10 plates of food a day and exercised every day. People would give me the weirdest looks cause I always was at the buffet with like 3 plates in front of me. After the 7 days I came back weighed myself and I lost 2 pounds haha. I was like this is some BS. I probably lost some fat and gained a bit of muscle but it's very hard to gain weight I think. I'm 5'6 and a hair over 140 and I'd like to be in at 150ish.

Good Luck bro it's really like 2 steps forward 1 step back. You always have to feel full like ALWAYS. I wouldn't even worry about eating healthy per se. I always though like say vegetables would be a percentage of my entire diet but now I think of them in servings. So if I get enough of my servings of greens and fruits then I don't care if I go eat 4 cheeseburgers at mcdonalds.

lxr

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys. I guess i really do just need to eat more. I think another problem may be how much sleep i'm getting, because i've been staying up later and later each night haha. I'll try to post here what i eat so you guys can see what i'm talking about! I'll also add my amount of sleep to my self-improvement journal!

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lxr said:
thanks for the tips guys. I guess i really do just need to eat more. I think another problem may be how much sleep i'm getting, because i've been staying up later and later each night haha. I'll try to post here what i eat so you guys can see what i'm talking about! I'll also add my amount of sleep to my self-improvement journal!
getting enough sleep is very very very important. you should be aiming for 8 hours of sleep.

Bradenn

Reaction score
There is only need to be strict with your diet plan and your exercise plan.
yes your sleeping cycle is also important this way because people who sleep less are usually more slim.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Paintballguy said:
you should be aiming for 8 hours of sleep.
You should be aiming for enough sleep to make you feel refreshed. 8 hours minimum.

theblackcat

Don Juan
Reaction score
Or you might be wasting too much energy. Quit fapping, sleep and rest, be on a calorific and energy surplus at all times.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
theblackcat said:
Or you might be wasting too much energy. Quit fapping, sleep and rest, be on a calorific and energy surplus at all times.
That doesn't really waste energy. What it does do is deplete the dopamine reserves in your brain putting you in a vegetative state (like a pot addict).

It also has a minor effect on the testosterone levels but really you don't need test, it's more of an accessory hormone. Dopamine is REALLY REALLY important however.

theblackcat

Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
That doesn't really waste energy. What it does do is deplete the dopamine reserves in your brain putting you in a vegetative state (like a pot addict).

It also has a minor effect on the testosterone levels but really you don't need test, it's more of an accessory hormone. Dopamine is REALLY REALLY important however.
Actually, it is not the act of fapping that wastes energy, but the production of sperm. The body draws on your reserves to compensate if you spread your seeds too often. Full sack = full warehouse. And you do need test, but let the guy try it & see for himself.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
theblackcat said:
Actually, it is not the act of fapping that wastes energy, but the production of sperm. The body draws on your reserves to compensate if you spread your seeds too often. Full sack = full warehouse. And you do need test, but let the guy try it & see for himself.
You would be surprised how little energy and resources that takes.

Nimikiya

Reaction score
lxr said:
I've been trying to bulk up this summer to get ready for university. I've been working out a lot and eating as much healthy food as possible, but no matter what i've been between 150-155 for the past year.

2 weeks ago i had worked up to 155. We went on a small cruise vacation that had unlimited food so I tried to eat as much of it as possible (that was healthy). Over the 7 days, I ate at least two plates at each lunch of foods like fruit, chicken breasts, and burgers. I ate about 11 nights worth of dinners (they let you order extra entrees if people didn't show up) of a lot of steak, fish, and sometimes indian food. for breakfast i had a lot of bread and soup. Then when i get back from the trip i find out that i've LOST one pound. the week since then i've tried to eat a lot as well, but this evening even right after eating a huge chicken indian dinner and 2-3 glasses of water i weigh in at 152.

This whole time i'm working out and staying fit. It doesn't seem like i have much fat to lose.... but i'm at a loss. Do you guys have any advice? at 6ft I'd like to be a bit bigger. The main thing i'd like to improve overall is my side profile. From the front I look pretty muscular. However, from the side i look seriously skinny.
I would just say here... That gaining weight is not everything... You should stay healthy... Which means you should be maintaining weight according to your height...!!