So pimp its scary
Master Don Juan
Sounds like a strange warning?
What could possibly be wrong with "I Am..." statements?
(Keep in mind that much of what I'm describing does not happen on a conscious level)
I first have to mention that there are alot of times where stating who you are will be neutral, actually most of the time it is.
When people say things like :
- I am enthusiastic
- I am a fun person
- I am a DJ
They are actually placing their whole existance as being 'enthusiastic', 'a fun person', or 'a DJ'. There is no problem with this, everyone does it.
However, I've read this many times throughout this site, or talking to friends :
- I am depressed
- I am an shy
- I am an addict
- etc.
The problem is that when a person says that they are 'depressed' they are placing their whole essence as being equivalent to this one singular emotion that they might feel from time to time.
To say, "I feel depressed right now" is less of an emotional burden because it presupposes that the depression is temporary, that it will be removed. Rather then a permanent and unchangeable aspect of your being.
Does language really effect you as much as this?
If someone is saying that 'I am shy', it is a way of accepting their current behavior and justifying it as something that they cannot help because it simply is 'just the way they are'. If instead the person says, 'I tend to be shy' he is also just stating his preferencial behavior, which he uses because it will stop him from feeling the pain of going out risking rejection and NOT being shy.
There have been studies that show that a person in drug rehab that states 'I am an addict' rather then 'I have an addiction' will be very much less likely to stay clean, or stay clean for as long (on average) as the person that would say the latter.
How can this be?
When a person says, 'I am an addict', he is admitting that the addiction is a part of who he is, and to remove that part from him will not feel natural because of that... it would cause too much pain (of uncertainty) to remove a part of his personality.
Instead, when a person says, "I have an addiction" they are describing an ailment (addiction) that they would like to 'cure'. So they are going to be more accepting of the change in behaviors because it's not seen as a part of who they are but rather an affliction that they suffer from that can be removed.
The moral here is to watch out for the language that you use, and to not turn some minor affliction, or any singular emotion that you might be feeling at a given moment in time to be transferred into your definition of who you are.
(Credit Tony Robbins for the information)
What could possibly be wrong with "I Am..." statements?
(Keep in mind that much of what I'm describing does not happen on a conscious level)
I first have to mention that there are alot of times where stating who you are will be neutral, actually most of the time it is.
When people say things like :
- I am enthusiastic
- I am a fun person
- I am a DJ
They are actually placing their whole existance as being 'enthusiastic', 'a fun person', or 'a DJ'. There is no problem with this, everyone does it.
However, I've read this many times throughout this site, or talking to friends :
- I am depressed
- I am an shy
- I am an addict
- etc.
The problem is that when a person says that they are 'depressed' they are placing their whole essence as being equivalent to this one singular emotion that they might feel from time to time.
To say, "I feel depressed right now" is less of an emotional burden because it presupposes that the depression is temporary, that it will be removed. Rather then a permanent and unchangeable aspect of your being.
Does language really effect you as much as this?
If someone is saying that 'I am shy', it is a way of accepting their current behavior and justifying it as something that they cannot help because it simply is 'just the way they are'. If instead the person says, 'I tend to be shy' he is also just stating his preferencial behavior, which he uses because it will stop him from feeling the pain of going out risking rejection and NOT being shy.
There have been studies that show that a person in drug rehab that states 'I am an addict' rather then 'I have an addiction' will be very much less likely to stay clean, or stay clean for as long (on average) as the person that would say the latter.
How can this be?
When a person says, 'I am an addict', he is admitting that the addiction is a part of who he is, and to remove that part from him will not feel natural because of that... it would cause too much pain (of uncertainty) to remove a part of his personality.
Instead, when a person says, "I have an addiction" they are describing an ailment (addiction) that they would like to 'cure'. So they are going to be more accepting of the change in behaviors because it's not seen as a part of who they are but rather an affliction that they suffer from that can be removed.
The moral here is to watch out for the language that you use, and to not turn some minor affliction, or any singular emotion that you might be feeling at a given moment in time to be transferred into your definition of who you are.
(Credit Tony Robbins for the information)