Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Hurricane Gustav

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hurricane Gustav, Aug 31

Let's hope they repaired the levee's enough after Katrina! Apparently this storm will be much bigger-on the order of 2/3 more intense-though I suppose in 24 hours we'll know for certain. Katrina was a cat 3 hurricane, and this is forecasted to be a cat 5 superstorm or a beastly cat 4.

Anyone know people in the greater New Orleans area? I've never been in a mass-evacuation before and this must be a routine for them.

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the levees were repaired, but as far as i know they are about 10 feet lower than was recommended and nowhere near capable of withstanding hurricane force winds.

As sad as it is, expect the city to go under water all over again.

HandyAndy

Banned
Reaction score
Levex said:
I think the levees were repaired, but as far as i know they are about 10 feet lower than was recommended and nowhere near capable of withstanding hurricane force winds.

As sad as it is, expect the city to go under water all over again.
Atleast there was a mandatory evacuation, im not sure if there was one for Katrina, anyone who stays behind is just retarded.

Good thing most of the city (or state?) got out before the hurricane hits

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
holy...sh**!!!!!

so that's why everyone left.

well I guess it's too late for me now. lol I was wondering why it was a ghost town.

bars here are still open though, meh.

I guess i'll play counter-strike until the power goes out. it's pretty windy already.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
btw i'm screwing with you guys.

obviously anyone who stays either (a) is retarded or (b) can't afford to get out of there, which is sad since it means their life is worth less than minimum wage.

anyways there's no doubt the hurricane will destroy the city, since th goddam govt can't fix some goddamn levees.

also gas prices will shoot up all our asses.

sigh...at least the people will have their lives this time.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desert Fox said:
holy...sh**!!!!!

so that's why everyone left.

well I guess it's too late for me now. lol I was wondering why it was a ghost town.

bars here are still open though, meh.

I guess i'll play counter-strike until the power goes out. it's pretty windy already.
:crackup: I thought you were in New Orleans. I was going to pray for your soul :D

Anyways, I am completely surprised that people even bothered to repair New Orleans. With the way the weather is nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets hit by a big hurricane every 5 years. People need to realize that it is uninhabitable and just move on.

I may seem like a complete jerk, but anybody who moves back to New Orleans is just asking for trouble.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of people say that, 'why bother?' with New Orleans. But too many goods flow up and down the river. Something like 20% of the oil we consume goes up through nola. Almost all of our agricultural commodities that we export float down the river on barges, as well as mined materials like coal, cement, ores - basically all of the raw materials that the US still produces. There has to be a port there. We have no choice in the matter. There has to be workers to service the port, and then other workers to staff the businesses that cater to the port workers. After the waters recede, they are going to go back to building more levees. It is hopeless and essential at the same time.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How sad. I wasn't aware of what New Orleans was actually for. "Hopeless and essential at the same time." Nice way of putting it.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I laugh at the people who go back to the very same place that was several feet under water and try to rebuild. That's like watching a trainwreck is slow motion, except the train also wrecks the person's hopes, future, and dreams.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pray for phyzzle , as he was not able to evacuate last night.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To the original poster, nobody ever said the storm was going to be stronger than Katrina. This one when it hit land was a category 2. New Orleans should be okay.

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whelp, it wasn't so bad. I didn't loose electric power here.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some of my ancestors came to the US via New Orleans.

It's quite surreal to be in the French Quarter and wonder if you might be walking down the same street your great-great grandfather did 100 some years before.

And New Orleans is awesome. It would be a shame to see such a cultural and historical city ruined by a few storms.