How's this 3 Day Split?

strams4ever

Don Juan
Reaction score
Any suggestions or input on this 3 day split. I am doing low reps with heavy weight... and great form. I am also on a bulking diet.

Day I. Chest and Back

Incline bench press 3X6
Flat bench flyes 3X8
Dips 3X6
Pulldowns 3x6
Seated Row 3X6
Shrugs 3X8

Day II. Legs And Shoulders

Squats 4X6
seated Leg Ext. 3X6
Deadlifts 2X12
Seated Calf Raise 3X15
Shoulder press 3x6
lateral Raises 3X10
Should Ext. 3X10

Day III. Biceps, Triceps, forearms, and Abs

tricep Pushdown 4x6
Overhead tricept Ext. 3X6
Standing Bar Curl 3X6
Preacher Curls 2x6
Hammer curls 2x6
Wrist curls 3X15
Reverse crunches 2X10
Knee Raises 2x15
Cruches 2x20

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
the most common 3 day split (including the one im doing) is...

chest/shoulder/tri

back/bi/forarm

legs.

strams4ever

Don Juan
Reaction score
Any idea on how I could work in some cardio? If I do workout I. on Monday, Workout II. on Wednesday, and Workout III. on Friday?

PurpleHaze

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by strams4ever
Any suggestions or input on this 3 day split. I am doing low reps with heavy weight... and great form. I am also on a bulking diet.

Day I. Chest and Back

Incline bench press 3X6
Flat bench flyes 3X8
Dips 3X6
Pulldowns 3x6
Seated Row 3X6
Shrugs 3X8

Day II. Legs And Shoulders

Squats 4X6
seated Leg Ext. 3X6
Deadlifts 2X12
Seated Calf Raise 3X15
Shoulder press 3x6
lateral Raises 3X10
Should Ext. 3X10

Day III. Biceps, Triceps, forearms, and Abs

tricep Pushdown 4x6
Overhead tricept Ext. 3X6
Standing Bar Curl 3X6
Preacher Curls 2x6
Hammer curls 2x6
Wrist curls 3X15
Reverse crunches 2X10
Knee Raises 2x15
Cruches 2x20
your split is terrible man.

first of all, dont train back and chest on the same day. those are the two major muscles in your upper body, give them their own day.

you put dips under your chest day? dips focus on your triceps more and the chest is the secondary muscle thats being worked. also, shrugs are for shoulders not back.

on day two you put deadlifts under leg workouts? deadlifts are the main excerise for your back, if your doing them properly you should feel them in your back.

here is what you should use:

DAY 1 (chest & triceps)

Flat bench press 4X8
Incline bench press 4X8
Flys 4x8
Dips 4x8
Tricep pushdown 4x8
Tricep Extension 4x8

DAY 2 REST

DAY 3 (back & biceps)

Deadlifts 4x8
Pulldowns 4x8
Seated rows 4x8
Seated dumbell curls 4x8
Preacher curls 4x8
Hammer curls 4x8

DAY 4 REST

DAY 5 (legs & shoulders)

Squats 3x12
Leg extensions 3x12
Hamstring curls 3x12
Calf raises 3x15
Shoulder press 4x8
Side shoulder raises 3x8
Front shoulder raises 3x8

forget the excerises for your wrists and forearms, they will get bigger by themselves the more you lift. Forget about ab excerises and cardio if you are bulking, dont worry you won't get fat. Just lift with this routine and eat food.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DAY 1 (chest & triceps)

Flat bench press 4X8
Incline bench press 4X8
Flys 4x8
Dips 4x8
Tricep pushdown 4x8
Tricep Extension 4x8

DAY 2 REST

DAY 3 (back & biceps)

Deadlifts 4x8
Pulldowns 4x8
Seated rows 4x8
Seated dumbell curls 4x8
Preacher curls 4x8
Hammer curls 4x8

DAY 4 REST

DAY 5 (legs & shoulders)

Squats 3x12
Leg extensions 3x12
Hamstring curls 3x12
Calf raises 3x15
Shoulder press 4x8
Side shoulder raises 3x8
I'm sorry mate, but that's a terrible recommendation.

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: How's this 3 Day Split?

Originally posted by PurpleHaze
your split is terrible man.

first of all, dont train back and chest on the same day. those are the two major muscles in your upper body, give them their own day.

you put dips under your chest day? dips focus on your triceps more and the chest is the secondary muscle thats being worked. also, shrugs are for shoulders not back.

on day two you put deadlifts under leg workouts? deadlifts are the main excerise for your back, if your doing them properly you should feel them in your back.

here is what you should use:

DAY 1 (chest & triceps)

Flat bench press 4X8
Incline bench press 4X8
Flys 4x8
Dips 4x8
Tricep pushdown 4x8
Tricep Extension 4x8

DAY 2 REST

DAY 3 (back & biceps)

Deadlifts 4x8
Pulldowns 4x8
Seated rows 4x8
Seated dumbell curls 4x8
Preacher curls 4x8
Hammer curls 4x8

DAY 4 REST

DAY 5 (legs & shoulders)

Squats 3x12
Leg extensions 3x12
Hamstring curls 3x12
Calf raises 3x15
Shoulder press 4x8
Side shoulder raises 3x8

forget the excerises for your wrists and forearms, they will get bigger by themselves the more you lift. Forget about ab excerises and cardio if you are bulking, dont worry you won't get fat. Just lift with this routine and eat food.
dood your an idiot, training chest and back together is really good, omg. when you superset them in it works wonders. your split is fine, do what your body responds well to

PurpleHaze

Don Juan
Reaction score
warboss what kind of routine would you recommend?

vanwilder there's no reason to be calling people idoits. supersetting works if you use it to shock the body, but you shouldn't use it as your base workout routine. I don't know one person who has gained a good amount of size supersetting.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Supersets, drop sets, giant sets.. all a load of malarkey in my opinion. Progressive resistance with heavier weights will get you where you want to be.

Both suggested splits have far too many sets.

Go for

Chest/Triceps
Back/Biceps
Legs/Shoulders

Choose two exercises for each bodypart and do one set to failure.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do the chest + back / legs + shoulders / arms split every once in a while, it's usually not bad at first, but with the way I train (failure & beyond reps), it starts taxing me in the later weeks (6-8).

I don't recommend it if you're just getting into lifting, working out 2 major muscle groups in one day will tax your body and slow your gains.

Chest + Tris
Back + Bis
Legs + shoulders

Is awesome for starting out. Also, standard deadlifts belong on the back day, stiff-legged deads are meant for the leg day. Don't bother doing any forearm isolation training, your forearms will grow like crazy from gripping the heavy weights during deadlifts / shrugs.

I also don't recommend doing more then 3 sets/exercise, and not doing more then 3-4 exercises/body group. I personally wouldn't recommend Purple Haze's routine, as it uses way too many sets. You don't need that many sets to stimulate the muscle fiber, and it takes up a lot of your time. You can fully stimulate the fiber using half the amount of sets, just by working out with proper intensity. I'll explain this.

I recommend:

Chest/tris:
2 sets of decline bench (but since you're just starting out, you can do flat bench instead if you want)
2 sets of incline bench
2 sets of incline flyes
2 sets of close grip bench press
2 sets of dips / weighted dips

Back/Bis
3 sets of deadlifts
2 sets of pull-ups
2 sets of barbell rows
2 sets of barbell curls (or dumbell curls)
2 sets of reverse preacher curls. (this is by far my fav bicep exercise)

Legs/shoulders
2 sets of squats
2 sets of stiff leg deadlifts
2 sets of calve raises (do standing ones at first until you stop having good pumps from them, then switch to sitting ones)
2 sets of military press
2 sets of lateral raises
2 sets of shrugs

We're only doing 2 sets for a reason. Here are the rules:

1.) Reps are done slowly at all times. When you do bicep curls, weight goes up slowly, and goes down slowly.

2.) Focus on contracting / squezing the muscle on every rep.

3.) Each set is done to failure. What that means is, you pick the weight up, and you keep lifting it up and down until you can't lift it again. You fully exhaust the muscle.

4.) You do reps beyond the failure. What that means is, when you reach failure, rest like 5-10 secs, then do another rep (keep it slow for maximum gains). Then rest for another 10 secs, and try again. When you can't do ONE more forced rep without resting for longer then 15 secs, you have reached absolute failure. You do this on every set. DO NOT DO THIS ON SOME EXERCISES WITHOUT A SPOTTER. Bench, Military press, Squats, etc. On those exercises, have the spotter assist you with some forced reps.

5.) ALWAYS warm up properly (1 high rep warm up set, and 1-3 weight acclimation sets of low reps [1-3], depending on how much weight you're using).

You will see that when you train this way, you will not be able to do lots of sets. However, the good thing is, you wont need to, since you will be making awesome gains and spending half the time in the gym. Your body is built to overcome challanges. By making your muscles work to failure and beyond, your body adapts by growing muscle fiber.

My results are in my signature if you are curious whether or not this works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do abs on your offdays (and cardio if you have to).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dips can be a lower chest fiber exercise if done in a certain way. If you keep your body straight as an arrow & your head up, and just go up and down, then dips primarily work out your triceps.

However, if you tilt your body (do this by attempting to touch your ass with your feet, your body will tilt forward), it comes a lower chest exercise. However, I personally prefer decline bench.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Warboss Alex
Supersets, drop sets, giant sets.. all a load of malarkey in my opinion. Progressive resistance with heavier weights will get you where you want to be.

Both suggested splits have far too many sets.

Go for

Chest/Triceps
Back/Biceps
Legs/Shoulders

Choose two exercises for each bodypart and do one set to failure.
LOL, you beat me to it.

While I fully support this way of training at later levels, 2 exercises / 1 set may be too low for a newcomer. The 1 set to failure and beyond is IMO very elite HIT and meant for people who lift weights so heavy, that after that 1 set their body is spent and has no room left for more labor. When he's first starting out, the weights he'll use will be low, and his body can recover and be ready for another set in 2 mins.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Funny how we think alike sometimes mate. Now if I could only convince you that the body CAN process more than 30g of protein per meal .. ;)

And ehhhh .. if he's NOT spent doing one all-out set on a particular exercise then either he's not doing it properly (intense with good form) or he can use more weight, simple as that!

You really don't have to do much to grow, especially when beginning.

I for one believe that this would provide sufficient stimulus .. if it doesn't work, he can always do two sets! :)

PurpleHaze

Don Juan
Reaction score
i guess my routine is a little confusing, when i say 4 sets i really mean 3 working sets. I use the first set as a warmup with light weights. the first set won't count as a real set because it's not going to help you grow muscle. the i do 2 sets of 8 reps then the last set is to failure.

aolsuxs

Don Juan
Reaction score
I use a very similar split at one time and it worked great. I think too many people are too close minded. True there are some general notions that are not reccomended and everyone will give you a different opinion. Best bet is to take all the advice and customize it to suit your needs.

I personally rotate between a split you mentioned as well as a one that is similar to MindOverMatter. Every month and a half or so just because I get bored easily.

www.bigobb.com

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i guess my routine is a little confusing, when i say 4 sets i really mean 3 working sets. I use the first set as a warmup with light weights. the first set won't count as a real set because it's not going to help you grow muscle. the i do 2 sets of 8 reps then the last set is to failure.
you're only doing 1 warmuP? wtf? you lifting like baby plates or something? lol

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
warboss what kind of routine would you recommend?

vanwilder there's no reason to be calling people idoits. supersetting works if you use it to shock the body, but you shouldn't use it as your base workout routine. I don't know one person who has gained a good amount of size supersetting.
you do now....

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
if you wanted a 5 - 6 day routine i could help you out a bit, but not with a 3 day. i like hitting everything 2 times a week