How to toughen up

someperson1987

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi,

This isn't directly related to picking up girls but anyways plz give
me some advice.

Only serious advice please.

I find that i'm too mellow and weak as a person. I have a hard time standing up for myself and saying 'no' to something i dont like.

Doing martial arts has helped a bit (i'm not nearly as bad as i used to be) but ive been on and off with practice. And plus i have no actually fighting experience :S

When someone insults/disrespects me, i always let it go. I can only imagine getting them back.

I'm not physically whimpy but i think im too whimpy on the inside. I can't seen to stand up for myself and I just suck everything in.

What SPECIFICALLY should I do to toughen up ?

Last edited:

padrote

Don Juan
Reaction score
Shave your hair, go to a bar and bump into some dude. Tell him "Watch where you're standing chump." That'll toughen you up.

Martial arts don't teach you how to be tough, they teach violence only in self-defense. Lift some weights.

someperson1987

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by padrote
Shave your hair, go to a bar and bump into some dude. Tell him "Watch where you're standing chump." That'll toughen you up.
lol im not sure whether ur kidding or not but u know what that might work

someperson1987

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by padrote
Lift some weights.
already doing that.

Thing is, someone insults me i just can't (usually not always) think of anything to say. Maybe its from sucking things in for so many years. But i know im not incurable because ive made some improvement already. So plz i need all the advice i can get thx.

DeathDealer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vote for Bush and be like the fellow zombie conservatives and go to war for OIL.

someperson1987

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DeathDealer
Vote for Bush and be like the fellow zombie conservatives and go to war for OIL.
Im Canadian.
Please only serious responses.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
dont take any sh1t from anybody no matter what.

ShockDoctor

Don Juan
Reaction score
find a Muay Thai (Thai Kickboxing) gym in your area, train in submission fighting, Brazilian Ju-jitsu, and compete in a few competitions - good way to build confidence and toughen you up!

start doing regular exercise, running long distances, pressups, situps etc... weight training for strength.

work on your mind aswell by following ZEN, Meditation all helps.

someperson1987

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ShockDoctor
find a Muay Thai (Thai Kickboxing) gym in your area, train in submission fighting, Brazilian Ju-jitsu, and compete in a few competitions - good way to build confidence and toughen you up!

start doing regular exercise, running long distances, pressups, situps etc... weight training for strength.

work on your mind aswell by following ZEN, Meditation all helps.
Will seriously consider that. I appreciate the advice thank you. I've done martial arts for few years but have been on and off. But now that school work is lessening (i already got in college) ill consider doing this more often.

Broham

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Becoming tough is a mindset just like becoming a DJ. It has to be integrated into your personality, and not just a front you put on when you feel like it. I know where you're coming from, I used to be everyone's doormat and felt like I had to suck the world's D to gain respect, but its the opposite. Toughness is just another form of confidence. Lifiting weights/Karate are great means to this end; however, sometimes you do have to test yourself time to time. By this I don't mean picking a fight with someone; however if someone shows you disrespect you must react immediately to show them you won't be disrespected.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Use your head. Being tough doesn't mean you have to be physical all of the time. Although i find getting physically tough from time to time very refreshing.

Usually I like to outwit my opponents. Make cheap jokes at their expence, degrate their man hood, what they're wearing, anything. Usually that'll get them angry enough where they'll try something or (more often then not) make them walk away like a little b*tch.

Mental toughness isn't that hard to come by. You just have to be as quick in the mind as you are with the fist.

someperson1987

Don Juan
Reaction score
well ive recently started lifting weights more frequently, im not sure whether that would help. Im mean i dont relaly care what others think but i dont wanna be a doormat my whole life either. I see my brother in law and i wanna puke.....I mean, I so DO NOT want that to be me in ten years.

Alen-Delon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
dude dont excpet a step by step solution to your problem. if you are a puzzy u are a puzzy, only if ur thinking changes ur attitude will change. when u get in the situation when someones talking shyt dont think what will happend if u punch em or whatever just go with it.

good luck

someperson1987

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Alen-Delon
dude dont excpet a step by step solution to your problem. if you are a puzzy u are a puzzy, only if ur thinking changes ur attitude will change. when u get in the situation when someones talking shyt dont think what will happend if u punch em or whatever just go with it.

good luck
good point maybe i think too much lol