How to tell when they're lying

Bakey

Don Juan
Reaction score
Did I spell that right?

So I was watching an AFC movie called True Romance, great actors, great performances. Chris Walken gives a speach about how men have 17 "tells" for when they're lying, women have 20. Anyone heard about this? I read somewhere about how people look left when they're lying and right when telling the truth but is there anymore to it?

Big Pappy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True Romance = AFC ?

I think not! Any movie with Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper is not going to be AFC!

To answer your question, each person has a few "tells" that give themself away when they lie. Some can't look you in the eye, some yawn, or try to take a drink to cover up their face, some twitch or fidget, etc.

My sister just tries to distract by dropping something.

If you're really interested, try this book or do a search for "tells" and "lies".

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312186347/wilbursmusicblueA/104-9346977-5838317

Kineti[C]harm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually it's vise verca. The more a person makes a point out of looking you straight in the eyes when talking to you the larger the chance he is lying.... Someone not lying will flake with his eyes to retrieve information (It's a behavioral cause of cognition).

Bakey

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Big Pappy
True Romance = AFC ?

I think not! Any movie with Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper is not going to be AFC!

[/url]
Clarence is hella AFC, hella! No friends, doesn't go out, sucks with girls, works in a comic books shop. They way they delcaire their love for each other.........

Big Pappy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh, sure. The character, perhaps. But, would an AFC be taking a gun and blowing away his new girls pimp? Not too sure about that...

I don't think every guy "must" fall into on of the 3 categories.

But I was speaking of the movie as a whole.

Either way, lies beget lies. Better off with the truth. It'll save you alot of creativity in the long run...

Aramas

Don Juan
Reaction score
My take on 'True Romance' is that it's a wuss to badass movie - not one of Tarantino's best, but still pretty good.

He's really being the man when he goes to LA(?) and does his wheeling and dealing.

Bakey

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Aramas
My take on 'True Romance' is that it's a wuss to badass movie -
I'll accept that, the first 20 minutes he's total AFC, even the way he goes up to the ho house. He does man up though......

Anyway, I just don't like being lied to, my mom used it as a defense mechanisim and now it just pisses me off.

Walden

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How to tell when women are lying...

Their lips are moving.

sql

Don Juan
Reaction score
i dont think there are any true set of rules for telling when a person is lying.

you really just have to know the person and watch them. learning how to read micro expressions can help uncover the truth, and this goes more with what Kineti[C]harm is talking about, but there still exists a small percent of the population that wont give themselves away with this method. some people are just natural born liars that dont give themselves away flawlessly - they believe their own lies, they make up stories to cover up or muddle facts, and they can look you in the eye etc.

more than looking for a physical giveaway it might prove more useful to listen to what they are saying and how bad they are trying to say it.

2 cents

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: How to tell when women are lying...

Originally posted by Walden
Their lips are moving.

ACCCKKK! You stole my line! I was going to say that!:D

Paid Laid & Made

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I can tell if the girl, avoids the question and does not say anything more about the topic.