Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How to solve confidence problems

Serenity

Reaction score
I'm going to make this ridiculously simple, I like to make it simple.

Say you struggle with confidence, and you're trying to get it. Well, who's to say you don't have it? You say that? Someone else say that? I say that? The screen in front of you say that? You don't have it!!!
So you want it then? Oh ok, you have it!!!

Not that simple you say? If it's not that simple then sure, it's not that simple. Want it simple? Well, it's simple then.

Yup, that's pretty much it. You make the rules.

3agle 3yes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Confidence comes from self assurance, self assurance is belief in yourself. Believing is not knowing, but trusting.

This is all from the mind, however, the physical manifestation of this would be leaving your comfort zone.

If you can continually get out of your comfort zone and not be anxious or afraid because you're convinced things will turn out okay...then I would say you have confidence.

Serenity

Reaction score
You can choose what to believe. I choose not to believe in the comfort zone, there's no limit when there is no specified zone. So everything is the comfort zone. I choose not to be anxious and afraid, for obvious reasons.

Sh!t does happen, it's not realistic to be convinced things will turn out okay. Sometimes it doesn't and it's much better to be ready to take the hits without falling apart.

3agle 3yes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Grewd said:
Sh!t does happen, it's not realistic to be convinced things will turn out okay. Sometimes it doesn't and it's much better to be ready to take the hits without falling apart.
Ok, what I meant is that you will be okay with whatever happens, after all no one has control over what happens but we do have control over how we respond to what happens.

And when you say there is no specified zone and everything is the comfort zone, yeah, that's how a confident person would see it, no?

Serenity

Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty much how I see it. I have no idea how it's supposed to be, but things usually play out well when I half-a$$ it. Makes no sense, but I can live with that lol.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One of the things I liked when I first came to this site was the idea that confidence was a choice. You can choose to be confident, like you can choose to think positive, it's like a mindset that you put on.

Now when it comes to women, of course, sooner or later you're going to have to have some positive feedback to back up your idea that you are confident that women will find you attractive. Not every women will find you attractive, and that's okay. But because at least some women have been attracted to me, I know that at least some women will find me attractive. Exactly how many, who knows?

YAboi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
THE MYTH OF CONFIDENCE

If I had a dime for every time someone told me to “be confident”, I’d probably be a millionaire by now. And as a millionaire, I’d probably have a lot of women throwing themselves at me and a lot of men respecting & admiring me. And the inevitable result of all this would be… You guessed it!.., Confidence. So the next time you feel like telling someone to be confident, just throw them a dime instead. It’d be a thousand times more useful.

In fact, I’ve noticed a disturbing trend in the last few years. All of a sudden, everyone’s talking about confidence. (or it’s pseudonym, “self-esteem”) Everywhere I read, every show I watch, every dimestore shrink I consult. Everyone’s advising everyone else to be more confident.

(a hypothetical: What if everybody took this advice and suddenly everyone had perfect confidence? Wouldn’t it just level the playing field right back to where it already was, and thus, not make a damn bit of difference anyway???)

Suddenly, all the women on the dating shows and in the advice columns are telling us how much they’re attracted to this mysterious new quality called confidence. And conversely, how the lack of confidence is a big turn-off. And predictably, men now feel the need to brag about how confident they are. And the confidence fad seems to be growing at a rapid pace. But I’m about to point out how it’s all just the psychological equivalent of the Pet Rock fad from the 70’s. Like the Pet Rock, advising someone to “be confident” is useless and does nothing. But like the Pet rock, it allows the giver to feel like they did something nice. They didn’t. Yet people keep buying it & buying it & buying it.

The reality about confidence is so simple and so obvious, it amazes me that otherwise intelligent people haven’t figured it out. Or maybe they have figured it out and they’re too dishonest with themselves to admit it. Perhaps the reality is too uncomfortable. After all, it’s much easier to sell books and self-help courses with fantasy than with reality.

So here’s the truth about confidence: You can only have confidence when other people give it to you. When others in your age group like you, respect you, admire you, and are attracted to you, you get confidence. When they don’t like you, scorn you, and reject you, you lose confidence. Therefore, the level of confidence you have is controlled by others, NOT by you. You can not just decide to be confident. Confidence is not a choice or decision you can make. You can’t just snap your fingers and, Abracadabra, you’re confident. It doesn’t work that way. It can’t work that way. Social confidence, by it’s very definition, requires support and acceptance from others (in your own age group) before it can exist.

(on an important side note: When people mention confidence, 98% of the time they are unwittingly referring to one specific kind: Social Confidence. So please don’t argue with me about other forms of confidence. They are irrelevant to this issue. For example, if you’ve mastered the Klingon language or are an expert in stamp collecting, you may be very confident in your ability. But that confidence CAN NOT translate into social confidence unless others respect, admire, and reward you for your abilities. The average Klingon speaker is more likely to be shunned, particularly by the opposite sex, rather than admired. Thus, please keep in mind that the kind of confidence I discuss here is only the most commonly discussed kind: Social confidence)

Confidence is merely a byproduct of success. You need some kind of social/sexual/romantic success before you can have genuine confidence. Confidence without success is delusional and/or dishonest, thus fake, and others will quickly recognize it as such. Here’s why: It’s not really the confidence itself that people are attracted to. Confidence is merely what results when someone has the qualities that are really attracting us. Obviously, if someone is good-looking, or wealthy, or funny & quick-witted, others will be attracted to them. This, in turn, will give them confidence.

So when someone tells you they are attracted to confidence, they are lying! (whether consciously or subconsciously) What they’re really attracted to are the traits that make confidence possible. After all, we all know that wealth, good looks, and strong social skills are attractive to others. Are we to believe it’s just a coincidence that these are the very same traits that lead to confidence? Obviously, someone who is successful will have more confidence than someone who is unsuccessful. So when someone says they’re attracted to confidence, what it means is that they’re attracted to success & the factors that make success possible. The confidence itself merely exists as a sign that those other factors (the real attractors) are present.

So if you know or care about someone with low confidence, how can you help them? First, the worst thing you can do is to just tell them to “be confident” or give them a verbal list of traits they should be confident about. That’s just insulting their intelligence and it’s going to frustrate and depress them even more. Words are hollow and meaningless when not corroborated by actions. So if you truly want to help someone increase their confidence, here are the areas you should focus on improving:

1) Physical Appearance
2) Social Skills
3) Wealth

1) Physical Appearance

(So you think this is shallow? It is. Get over it. Physical appearance is, of course, the first thing people notice about you. And if they don’t like what they see, it will be much, much harder to win them over.)

If the individual has flaws in their appearance, the worst thing you can do is to tell them they “look fine”. Instead, help them improve their appearance. If they’re overweight, don’t deny it. Help them lose the weight. If they have bad hair, help them find a stylish cut. If they have unfashionable or ill-fitting clothes, help them find better ones. And if you are not qualified to help them in these areas, find someone who can.

2) Social Skills

This one could easily become a chicken-or-egg argument. Many would point out that a person does poorly socially because they lack confidence. While this may be true in certain cases, I’ve found in my own experience and observations that usually the reverse is true. When a person has poor social skills, they will of course do poorly socially & inevitably, their confidence will suffer. When confronted with this fact, the lazy-minded will regurgitate such hackneyed social advice as “be happy and smile more”, “just be yourself”, “be upbeat and positive”, “just be nice”, or something equally trite, short-sighted, and useless. Being nice is fine. I’d encourage it. But it’s simply not enough on it’s own to succeed socially. If all you are is nice, you will be walked on like a doormat, used, and thrown away. To truly succeed socially (in the absence of looks and wealth), one needs two things: Material and Execution. They need strong, interesting conversational material and they need to be able to execute this material in a smooth, charming manner. How can you expect someone to have social confidence if they lack this ability?

So if you honestly cared about someone suffering from low social confidence, you wouldn’t waste their time with empty “be yourself” pep talks. You’d help them learn and practice conversational skills in a supportive, rejection-free environment. However, if you are outside of their age group, find someone closer to their age to help them. This is because what is acceptable for 50-year olds is not acceptable for 20-year olds and vice versa.

3) Wealth

Unless you are in a position to give someone a job earning $50K+ a year, there’s not a lot you can do about this one. But if you focus on the first two (appearance & social skills), increased income is virtually guaranteed to follow.

To recap my main points:
» Confidence is merely a byproduct of success.
» No one can just decide to be confident. It has to come naturally from others.
» Our level of confidence is determined by the level of regard others have for us.
» Hollow “be confident’ pep talks don’t work. If you honestly want to increase another’s confidence, it will require genuine care and effort.
» Therefore, stop advising people to “be confident”! If you aren’t willing to put in the effort to help them gain that confidence, then you are just insulting them and wasting their time.

source - http://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2007/04/08/the-myth-of-confidence/

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Responding to Yaboi's article here:
In fact, I’ve noticed a disturbing trend in the last few years. All of a sudden, everyone’s talking about confidence. (or it’s pseudonym, “self-esteem”)
It's nothing new, believe me. When I was growing up back in the 70s, they were saying the same thing: "Be confident", "Girls love confidence", "Confidence is sexy". There's nothing new under the sun.

The whole confidence and self esteem thing has always puzzled me, to some extent. Self esteem, for instance. If you had more self esteem than anyone else on the planet, wouldn't you be so stuck on yourself that it would be offputting? Wouldn't you be the most narcissistic person on the planet? If a girl says she wants a guy with a lot of self esteem, is she wanting some guy who runs around thinking about how cool he is all the time? It sounds like madness.

(a hypothetical: What if everybody took this advice and suddenly everyone had perfect confidence? Wouldn’t it just level the playing field right back to where it already was, and thus, not make a damn bit of difference anyway???)
Good point.

So here’s the truth about confidence: You can only have confidence when other people give it to you. When others in your age group like you, respect you, admire you, and are attracted to you, you get confidence. When they don’t like you, scorn you, and reject you, you lose confidence. Therefore, the level of confidence you have is controlled by others, NOT by you. You can not just decide to be confident. Confidence is not a choice or decision you can make.
Well, you can fake confidence. When I was in my 20s, I was never really confident. But I knew that you were supposed to be confident, so I faked it. Apparently I faked it pretty well, because I got laid and I don't remember anyone telling me I needed to be more confident.

Do girls like swagger? Because to me, swagger is basically faked confidence. It's exaggerated, which means that you're compensating for something - presumably a lack of real confidence. If you were truly, truly confident, you wouldn't be swaggering, you'd just be behaving normally in a relaxed and easy manner, right?

I do think that you can choose to be confident, at least temporarily. But it's a difficult thing to do, and probably not everyone can do it.

So when someone tells you they are attracted to confidence, they are lying! (whether consciously or subconsciously) What they’re really attracted to are the traits that make confidence possible. After all, we all know that wealth, good looks, and strong social skills are attractive to others. Are we to believe it’s just a coincidence that these are the very same traits that lead to confidence? Obviously, someone who is successful will have more confidence than someone who is unsuccessful. So when someone says they’re attracted to confidence, what it means is that they’re attracted to success & the factors that make success possible. The confidence itself merely exists as a sign that those other factors (the real attractors) are present.
Totally agree. I think Backbreaker has said this: When women say that you are confident, they really mean that you are hot. In other words, you have the characteristics which make you hot. Which happens to also make you confident.

That said, if you are clearly NOT confident, as in you are nervous and shaking as you approach a girl, I can see how some women might find that unattractive. They might take it as a sign of weakness, or that women don't usually like you, and that's why you're so nervous. You're expecting a rejection, so that's kind of the reverse of social proof.

So if you're the opposite of that, if you are smooth, comfortable, and self assured in a social interaction, then you might make the girl feel comfortable also. So I can see where confidence would be an asset in that situation. But that still doesn't make it into this magically sexy, overblown thing that they are always talking about - confidence. It doesn't explain why it is THAT big of a deal, or THAT big of a turn-on for women.

Like you say, maybe the presence of confidence just indicates the presence of other factors that women really find attractive.

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I gotta admit,that was a great article, and very true. Ever see a complete looser with all the confidence in the world? Yeah, that's one delusional tool.

Trump

Banned
Reaction score
Who the hell is going to hold your hand and teach you to be confident? Most people want to crush you and spit on your grave.

I don't think appearance, social skills and wealth necessarily give you confidence. I think it's the education and knowledge you have and how you apply it in everyday situations. I know doctors who make 800K year who don't have much confidence. I know guys with apparently good social skills who are apparently over compensating for their lack of something. Some people love them, some people find them very annoying. I know guys who look like Brad Pitt and are very shy.

To recap my main points:
» Confidence is merely a byproduct of success.
» No one can just decide to be confident. It has to come naturally from others.
» Our level of confidence is determined by the level of regard others have for us.
» Hollow “be confident’ pep talks don’t work. If you honestly want to increase another’s confidence, it will require genuine care and effort.
» Therefore, stop advising people to “be confident”! If you aren’t willing to put in the effort to help them gain that confidence, then you are just insulting them and wasting their time.
On each point:

1 - respect gives you confidence, not success.
2 - you can decide to be anything, confident, annoying, fun.
3 - that doesn't make sense. Your value is dependent on if others are happy or sad? That's risky.
4 - hollow pep talks work fine. I've seen lives changed on a couple of lectures.
5 - you can advise people anything. But they shouldn't need it, they should love what they do in order to be confident.

The only way to make someone confident is ask what they want to do and be there for assistance. A lot of people don't know what to do and they are waiting for others to tell them.

YAboi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Trump said:
Who the hell is going to hold your hand and teach you to be confident? Most people want to crush you and spit on your grave.

I don't think appearance, social skills and wealth necessarily give you confidence. I think it's the education and knowledge you have and how you apply it in everyday situations. I know doctors who make 800K year who don't have much confidence. I know guys with apparently good social skills who are apparently over compensating for their lack of something. Some people love them, some people find them very annoying. I know guys who look like Brad Pitt and are very shy.

On each point:

1 - respect gives you confidence, not success.
2 - you can decide to be anything, confident, annoying, fun.
3 - that doesn't make sense. Your value is dependent on if others are happy or sad? That's risky.
4 - hollow pep talks work fine. I've seen lives changed on a couple of lectures.
5 - you can advise people anything. But they shouldn't need it, they should love what they do in order to be confident.

The only way to make someone confident is ask what they want to do and be there for assistance. A lot of people don't know what to do and they are waiting for others to tell them.
if you visit the link you will see that I did not post the editor's feedback/comments where he disagrees on some points.