Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How to get over fear of physical confrontation?

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lookyoung said:
On the street with no gloves anyone has the power to hurt you with a punch. I am skeptical about krav maga. I seen it on human weapon and it did not impress me at all. All these arts like Kungfu and Krav maga talk about how deadly they are but to me seeing is believing. I am a BJJ practictioner and from what I have seen this is the best martial art.

Guillotine chokes, Headlock esacapes, knowing positions from the clinch, and being able to control an opponent on the ground is very valuable. Also god forbid if you have to fight of your back bjj gives you that option also.
I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Jujitsu is an effective way to hurt and kill people. But, its not something most people need. It's the most painful thing to train I've ever done, and grapple with.

Its the way the two systems look at the fight. Krav Maga is much more likely to work in a "real world" situation.

Its like bringing a Z06 to beat a Civic Si. Sure it will work well, but eh, why waste time grappling when a simple crotch slap and wind pipe punch puts 99% of guys on the floor?

And as far as Human Weapon goes, those guys touch 5-10% of everything they see and practice. Thats not a good place to form an opinion of a fighting system.

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
I looked at the Krav Maga vidoes on youtube. It actually might serve a person better in a street fight than jiu-jitsu. I have started taking bjj, and I can see them using some bjj submission holds. But on the street, grappling is usually a bad idea, especially against multiple attackers. The Krav Maga to me looks like dirty fighting Muay Thai with a lot of weapon avoidance and special scenario maneuvers.

NO style will protect you against multiple attackers effectilvely. Don't believe the hype. Let the krav maga or Kungfu people put out a tape of them taking on 4 guys by themselves. They will never put a tape out like this and no martial art is effective against multiple opponents. If you believe in what you see than BJJ is the most effective martial arts. There are a million videos on youtube to show the effectiveness

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lookyoung said:
If you believe in what you see than BJJ is the most effective martial arts.
Based on that, Aikido or even Ninjitsu could be argued as the most effective martial art.

Have you ever tried Krav Maga? I train in Jujitsu once a week usually, but I don't like the stress on my joints.

Are you one of those Jujitsu Leet Types who think they're invincible?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think BJJ is great for self defense, as long as you don't train in the gi. I don't think you should ever take someone down intentionally in a self defense situation (unless you're getting mugged by a pro boxer or something) but in BJJ you learn how to avoid being taken down and how to escape from bad positions and get back to your feet.

That said, BJJ is certainly not the "best" by any means. You should train in some kind of stand up striking style also, like boxing, or Muay Thai. Best thing to do is go to an MMA school, IMO.

dietzcoi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think his issue to to avoid fear of confrontations. The best defense against this is to stop confrontations BEFORE they escalate to actual fighting. I have to admit, I am not good at this.

SO, what is the answer to stopping and avoiding any fighting? Once a fight begins, you have already lost. How do you keep the chumps from flocking to your (good looking) girl - I would love to hear answers to this. I have had to fight off three layers of chumps around my woman, and I once helped a friend wade through about 10 chumps who had surrounded his HB9 blonde GF while we were in the bathroom. Its disgusting!

Its like I once heard, real spies don't carry guns (unlike James Bond!) - why not? Because, if a spy has to use a gun, he has already failed his mission.

So, how about some non-violent advice in how to avoid these situations?

Thanks

Dietzcoi

stuka1939

Banned
Reaction score
dietzcoi said:
I think his issue to to avoid fear of confrontations. The best defense against this is to stop confrontations BEFORE they escalate to actual fighting. I have to admit, I am not good at this.

SO, what is the answer to stopping and avoiding any fighting? Once a fight begins, you have already lost. How do you keep the chumps from flocking to your (good looking) girl - I would love to hear answers to this. I have had to fight off three layers of chumps around my woman, and I once helped a friend wade through about 10 chumps who had surrounded his HB9 blonde GF while we were in the bathroom. Its disgusting!

Its like I once heard, real spies don't carry guns (unlike James Bond!) - why not? Because, if a spy has to use a gun, he has already failed his mission.

Thanks

Dietzcoi

That is why you don't date ultra-hot women. You stick to the 6-8's.

Sometimes I wish I had been in the Marine Corps. Once those guys get out of bootcamp, they are fearless .

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dietzcoi said:
Don't respond to their actions. If your woman is your woman, who cares how other guys act, shes leaving with you remember? If you have to respond, respond calmly like its no big deal, angry people want you to get angry. Remain calm they look like an ass.

And if you're in a club/bar situations, odds are security will intervene before anything goes down.

Aboleo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow. Some of you guys really like to p!ss and moan about everything...

Krav Mega is a very good system. I've posted some information about this subject in the health forum before, and I have no desire to get into a d!ck measuring contest over it now. If you're interested in my take, look it up. I think it was a post started by Mr. Wolf...

As for the fear of physical confrontation, start sparring with a friend. It will get you over your fear if the two of you train seroisly and train hard.

And no matter what system you use, do yourself a favor and read "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee. It is my personal favorite book on the subject of hand to hand combat, and a great philosophical book as well.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your Will to Live must simply be greater than your Will to run away aand cower in fear at the first sign of confrontation.
If your life is fulfilling, compelling, and there are many things you want to do in life, AND you have a huge amount of Self Respect and Dignity, and a strong Personal Boundary, then the thought of confrontation is not something to be feared, it becomes something to be acknowledged and analyzed.
if you actually DO train in MA/SD then because you have been exposed to several factors involved in high pressure situations, then you will already have the mentai image in your mind. Coupled with actual system for dealing with theses things, the physical and psychological, then you have minimized this horiible large green goblin into something manageable.

In other words, whenyou haven't benen exposed to a certain circumstance, andyou have insecurity, and fear, you will project this fear and insecurity into this Void.

My advice is stop projecting your fears and making this bigger than it needs to be, and learn Self Defense if you're so obsessed with confrontation.

Go out there and do something about it instead of crippling yourself with Fear.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lookyoung said:
NO style will protect you against multiple attackers effectilvely.

Maybe not skilled attackers, but again, most people are unskilled. There's a clip on the net of a skater guy, Mike V(something), Val-ey-hee or something like that, where he fights three or four guys at once. He throws a quick series of punches, then pushes the guy away and hits the next guy. I got the feeling watching the tape, that he was making sure that none of the guys could grab onto him. It does not take skill to gang tackle. With a striking art, I could see one skilled guy fighting several less motivated and less skilled attackers, but as soon as they start to grab onto you, it would be all over.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Generally speaking, most experienced and knowledgeable self defense/MA practictioners know that you try to avoid fighting multiple opponents without a weapon. That's why a lot of them carry a tactical blade, or CCW and a firearm.

And striking if done well, can counter multiple opponents. Just like grappling.
It is important to not make such generalizations.
I usually see this with a lot of the BJJ/MMA guys who try to build up their faith in their system by belittling anyone who doesn't train what they do.

it all boils down to the practitioner and the methods used to teach a good, comprehensive fighting system.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Maybe not skilled attackers, but again, most people are unskilled. There's a clip on the net of a skater guy, Mike V(something), Val-ey-hee or something like that, where he fights three or four guys at once. He throws a quick series of punches, then pushes the guy away and hits the next guy. I got the feeling watching the tape, that he was making sure that none of the guys could grab onto him. It does not take skill to gang tackle. With a striking art, I could see one skilled guy fighting several less motivated and less skilled attackers, but as soon as they start to grab onto you, it would be all over.
I saw that video, and I don't think any of those guys were really fighting back at all. They could have killed him if they wanted to.

I think it's pointless to discuss what martial art is best for fighting multiple opponents. I don't care if you're Fedor, if you're attacked by 2 or more people who really want to hurt/kill you you're going to lose, period. They'll just pile on you, what style you train is irrelevant. If you're worried about getting attacked by multiple people, you should get a gun, that's the only thing that will help in that situation.

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
I saw that video, and I don't think any of those guys were really fighting back at all. They could have killed him if they wanted to.

I think it's pointless to discuss what martial art is best for fighting multiple opponents. I don't care if you're Fedor, if you're attacked by 2 or more people who really want to hurt/kill you you're going to lose, period. They'll just pile on you, what style you train is irrelevant. If you're worried about getting attacked by multiple people, you should get a gun, that's the only thing that will help in that situation.
This just illustrates your lack of fighting knowledge and the human will to survive. 2 people is very doable, three isn't out of the question. The greater question is, what did you do to put yourself in that situation.

And gun comes with long term consequences, pepper spray doesn't.

Trinitron

Banned
Reaction score
Rhoto said:
This just illustrates your lack of fighting knowledge and the human will to survive. 2 people is very doable, three isn't out of the question. The greater question is, what did you do to put yourself in that situation.
Even the most skilled fighters won't be able to beat two agressive attackers of equal size to himself. Only if they're much smaller than you, I mean drastically smaller, less agressive and weaker for you stand a chance against two attackers. Against three you're going to have to be fighting mannequins.

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Trinitron said:
Even the most skilled fighters won't be able to beat two agressive attackers of equal size to himself. Only if they're much smaller than you, I mean drastically smaller, less agressive and weaker for you stand a chance against two attackers. Against three you're going to have to be fighting mannequins.
Size doesn't always matter, have you ever been jumped?

You're a worthless source of jabber. Please don't speak about things you have no idea about.

kthnx.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This thread has turned into a thread about which art is the best, etc. In answer to that question, you can't really compare them...which is why everyone keeps bickering like little school girls. Each of them is applicable to different people, circumstances, body types, etc.

Anyway, to the main point: the fear of physical confrontation.

The truth is that guys WILL try you. It's part of life. You get tested in the workplace and on the street. If you're with a hot chick, guys may attempt to make comments, etc, especially when alcohol is involved.

The best solution is to watch where you step. You know how you stand against other guys. Don't put yourself in situations that can result in problems.

You need to watch your back too. Know the mindset of aggressors. Learn the body language, etc. that may indicate trouble can start. That you can evade the problem before it even arising.

Be prepared. That means that you feel secure not only about yourself but who you're with. Avoid confrontation AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, but if it is unavoidable, you need to be able to take care of the situation as quickly and efficiently as possible.

FIGHTS ARE DIRTY. Don't think that martial arts gives you a cloak that will make you the undefeatable badasses. If you want to check out some real badasses, take a visit to a major city prison. Go the harder parts on the streets and talk to some of the thugs who have been in and out of the pen for years, where street fighting and brawling is a way of life.

There's two routes you can take. You can be that thug or you can decide that lifestyle isn't right and watch your step. But practicing jiu-jitsu for a couple years isn't going to make you unstoppable.

Real fights end with bottles on your head, head stomping, guns, knives, and bloody messes. They don't start in the ring and they don't have a ref.

Beyond this, know that you will be able to make a decision and ACT. If a guy has done something to you or your girl that you know deserves physical retaliation, you DO NOT THINK OR TALK ABOUT IT. You don't TALK. You don't throw bantering insults back and forth like little boys. Within a split second of the guy making a brash comment to him looking back to his pack of thugs, you've already clocked him to the floor. You ATTACK AND MOVE ON IMMEDIATELY.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This thread has turned into a thread about which art is the best, etc. In answer to that question, you can't really compare them...which is why everyone keeps bickering like little school girls. Each of them is applicable to different people, circumstances, body types, etc.

Anyway, to the main point: the fear of physical confrontation.

The truth is that guys WILL try you. It's part of life. You get tested in the workplace and on the street. If you're with a hot chick, guys may attempt to make comments, etc, especially when alcohol is involved.

The best solution is to watch where you step. You know how you stand against other guys. Don't put yourself in situations that can result in problems.

You need to watch your back too. Know the mindset of aggressors. Learn the body language, etc. that may indicate trouble can start. That you can evade the problem before it even arising.

Be prepared. That means that you feel secure not only about yourself but who you're with. Avoid confrontation AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, but if it is unavoidable, you need to be able to take care of the situation as quickly and efficiently as possible.

FIGHTS ARE DIRTY. Don't think that martial arts gives you a cloak that will make you the undefeatable badasses. If you want to check out some real badasses, take a visit to a major city prison. Go the harder parts on the streets and talk to some of the thugs who have been in and out of the pen for years, where street fighting and brawling is a way of life.

There's two routes you can take. You can be that thug or you can decide that lifestyle isn't right and watch your step. But practicing jiu-jitsu for a couple years isn't going to make you unstoppable.

Real fights end with bottles on your head, head stomping, guns, knives, and bloody messes. They don't start in the ring and they don't have a ref.

Beyond this, know that you will be able to make a decision and ACT. If a guy has done something to you or your girl that you know deserves physical retaliation, you DO NOT THINK OR TALK ABOUT IT. You don't TALK. You don't throw bantering insults back and forth like little boys. Within a split second of the guy making a brash comment to him looking back to his pack of thugs, you've already clocked him to the floor. You ATTACK AND MOVE ON IMMEDIATELY.

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stuka1939 said:
This is not Mahon and you are an a-hole.
Mahon? Who's Mahon?

You joined after he was banned. How do you know who he is?