Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How to drive without car insurance and get away with it (would u?)

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
don't crash, and depending on where you live, don't get pulled over...

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quite ironic, just checked what are the sanctions for driving without an insurance before have a look here...

Anyway I agree with the fact that the mandatory car insurance is a scam, it allows company to ally to each other to rob citizens while the gov does nothing but help them.

It would be much more fair to let citizens decide if to buy an insurance or take the risk to have their properties confiscated in case they harm someone while driving.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Who Dares Win said:
Quite ironic, just checked what are the sanctions for driving without an insurance before have a look here...

Anyway I agree with the fact that the mandatory car insurance is a scam, it allows company to ally to each other to rob citizens while the gov does nothing but help them.

It would be much more fair to let citizens decide if to buy an insurance or take the risk to have their properties confiscated in case they harm someone while driving.
Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree on this one.

You might be doing everything right, but that won't stop someone else from doing something wrong and hitting you, so "not crashing" isn't a realistic option. The article focuses on not getting caught, but does not put into consideration getting hit by someone else.

Having the property of the offender confiscated isn't much of an option either, because there are people out there who have no property to confiscate, and those types tend to be those who get into silly accidents in the first place.

The best option would be to just not have a car. I'd love to not need a car; it would save so much money and time if I just lived in a large city and had everything I needed near me. But that's not really an option with my lifestyle...

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That list might as well be titled "How to be a good criminal."

Can cops check the validity of a proof of insurance card during a traffic stop? Presenting a fake one is probably more of a crime than driving without insurance, so I'm not recommending that, I'm just wondering.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:

Can cops check the validity of a proof of insurance card during a traffic stop? Presenting a fake one is probably more of a crime than driving without insurance, so I'm not recommending that, I'm just wondering.
Ever watch Cops? It's usually one of the things on that list that justifies a traffic stop that ultimately leads to an arrest. Then again, it's Cops and they only show the interesting arrests, but still...

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vice said:
Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree on this one.

You might be doing everything right, but that won't stop someone else from doing something wrong and hitting you, so "not crashing" isn't a realistic option. The article focuses on not getting caught, but does not put into consideration getting hit by someone else.

Having the property of the offender confiscated isn't much of an option either, because there are people out there who have no property to confiscate, and those types tend to be those who get into silly accidents in the first place.

The best option would be to just not have a car. I'd love to not need a car; it would save so much money and time if I just lived in a large city and had everything I needed near me. But that's not really an option with my lifestyle...

Even though there is a risk of having another, non-insured and broke motorist crash into you, that's STILL your decision whether or not to buy insurance.

Of course, if the bank who's lending you the money to buy the car makes it part of the loan agreement, that's one thing.

But if you own all your property free and clear, I think it's YOUR decision how to use that property.

If you lose it due to your own foolishness (not getting insurance, which is definitely NOT the best financial decision), that's still YOUR decision, not the governments.

After all, where would you draw the line? Should everybody buy life insurance? Should everybody buy earthquake insurance? Should every homeowner buy liability insurance? Should it be illegal to invest in the stock market? Junk bonds?

How specifically could you ever regulate exactly HOW MUCH financial risk is appropriate, and how much isn't?

TheVirtualMind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:

Yes and yes.

Vice said:
Ever watch Cops? It's usually one of the things on that list that justifies a traffic stop that ultimately leads to an arrest. Then again, it's Cops and they only show the interesting arrests, but still...
It is PC (depending on the state) for a stop and one of the things that usually lead to something bigger and better...

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can cops check the validity of a proof of insurance card during a traffic stop?

TheVirtualMind said:
Yes and yes.
afaik, it is not a valid reason for a traffic stop to pull over a motorist just to ask for insurance. Yet obviously, they can during a stop for anything else. "Weaving" is a typical generic excuse for when they don't have an excuse. They also like to tailgate your car with their high beams on to get you to go just a little over the speed limit, thus justifying the stop.

If a stop is "bad," meaning no valid reason, then it becomes an illegal search and everything they find will be the 'fruit of the poisonous tree' and thus inadmissible as evidence against you. That's the best way to get a DUI thrown out.

But by "check," I didn't mean just ask for your little card, I meant, is there some sort of central insurance computer that they access? If I cancel my policy, I will have the same little card. I don't think such a thing exists in my state, although it might in other states.

to answer my own question:
http://www.carsdirect.com/car-insurance/criminal-penalties-for-using-fake-proof-of-insurance
At present, a few states do not have live databases that can check insurance information. But a few states like California and Texas do.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People who don't have insurance always end up in wrecks or get pulled over.

Driggs

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I would like to point out just HOW ASININE it is to drive without insurance. I myself did it for years but it was an astoundingly stupid thing to do.

If you get in an accident and are severely injured (let's say you are paralyzed), and the other person has no health insurance, WHO IS GOING TO PAY?

Let's say you severely injure a family of four. You have no insurance. Now what? YOU might be legally liable.

Not only is it stupid from a perspective of defending yourself financially, it is a real d1ck move as well.

If you HAVE insurance and you are hit by someone, your insurance company will SAVE YOUR ASS.

Don't ask me how I know.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Driggs said:
I would like to point out just HOW ASININE it is to drive without insurance. I myself did it for years but it was an astoundingly stupid thing to do.

If you get in an accident and are severely injured (let's say you are paralyzed), and the other person has no health insurance, WHO IS GOING TO PAY?

Let's say you severely injure a family of four. You have no insurance. Now what? YOU might be legally liable.

Not only is it stupid from a perspective of defending yourself financially, it is a real d1ck move as well.

If you HAVE insurance and you are hit by someone, your insurance company will SAVE YOUR ASS.

Don't ask me how I know.
This was the next point I was going to bring up; car insurance does not only cover the vehicle itself, it covers any bodily harm or death and the subsequent medical and legal costs.

Driggs

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought that was the main point!

My family and I were rear ended over a year ago and all of us sustained fairly severe injuries. If we hadn't had insurance we would have been absolutely screwed.

Like I said I drove around for years with no insurance when I was young and stupid, and I became a very careful driver as a result. But there is nothing you can do sometimes, against rear end collisions, on ice, or who knows what else.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mandatory liability insurance is a necessary inconvenience, although I am normally against mandatory anything.

In 2009 I was rear-ended by a women while I was sitting at a stop light. She fractured my spine, and I didn't even know it was fractured until last June, when I had my surgery. For three years I was walking around with 2 fractured vertebrae because I was trying all sorts of treatments before going for the big guns. The fractures didn't show in the MRIs, and the 2 surgeons who worked on me said they opened me up and started pulling out a lot of bone fragments.

I thank God I didn't have to shell out for my treatments and surgery, and that I won the full judgment against her. I also had a very good law firm working for me and they got the insurance company to sign off on subrogating my settlement. If they did not sign off they would have come after my settlement for everything they paid out after the initial $50,000.

Bottom line is that insurance companies are made up of greedy scumbags, and you need a good lawyer to protect yourself from your own insurance company after the dust clears (they will want to subrogate your settlement).

My situation could not have worked out better, but I had some big guns behind me in terms of legal representation. Without insurance (both the loser who rear-ended me and my own, I would have been in the hole for about $250,000.

Next time I seem a little cranky here on SS, cut me a little slack because I'm no stranger to daily pain. ;)

The way I see it, liability insurance is something we do for our fellow man, to be able to take care of his or her bills if we accidentally injure them. Of course it protects us too, but I try to think of the other guy.

As an aside, I sure wish the lady who broke my back would apologize. I've run into her several times and just looked at her without saying a word, and each time she scurries away. Sometimes a simple apology is good medicine. Yes, I realize that I'm going mad OT, just in the mood to ramble a bit.

MaddXMan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What seems risky is renewing your tags, when you have to show your personal property tax receipt and proof of insurance every year or 2 years (at least in my state).

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Propety tax on cars is such horse sh!t, because the state already taxes them through licensing and registration fees. There are nightmare stories of people living in a state like MA who owned a car that was not registered and did not realize they had to pay the property tax. Then years later, several states away, they end up getting picked up on an outstanding arrest warrant that they did not realize existed.

My gf lived in Louisiana, and at least at the time, they indexed your vehicle registration fee to the value of your vehicle. Her husband had just bought a new truck before moving there, and did not realize that his license plate was going to cost nearly a thousand dollars.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Propety tax on cars is such horse sh!t, because the state already taxes them through licensing and registration fees. There are nightmare stories of people living in a state like MA who owned a car that was not registered and did not realize they had to pay the property tax. Then years later, several states away, they end up getting picked up on an outstanding arrest warrant that they did not realize existed.

My gf lived in Louisiana, and at least at the time, they indexed your vehicle registration fee to the value of your vehicle. Her husband had just bought a new truck before moving there, and did not realize that his license plate was going to cost nearly a thousand dollars.
Come down south to visit myself and other SS members and get your car registered here instead. Many people from up north come down here to register their cars to avoid the arcane taxes and fees other states put on them.

MaddXMan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:

Truth...and Missouri may or may not require you to get a state inspection, and god forbid they find something wrong. I got "We're not gonna pass your car with those tires, you need a new set." Bull****! The whole thing is a scam to shake you down for money, for a little sticker that can be lifted off with a razor blade. Wait, that gives me an idea..........

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vice said:
Come down south
I lived in Tampa before Jeb Bush killed emissions testing. Everyone used to have to go to the testing place and get a probe stuck up their tailpipe. They flunked me once because the end of the pipe past the muffler was rusted off, so they could not do the test. There was a muffler shop across the street from the testing station. The old man who ran it put my truck up on the lift, looked at the muffler, and acted very concerned. "Goodness, this is bad, " he said, "you're going to need a completely new exhaust system. It's all one piece, so we have to replace everything. It will be five or six hundred bucks."

I was about 21 at the time, and I got the impression he saw me coming. I looked at the muffler, pointed to the end of it, and said "just weld a piece of pipe right there."

"OK that will be forty bucks," he replied about half a second later and walked off. I had that truck another fifteen years and never did do anything else to the exhaust.