Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How to be a good spotter

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This thread was born out of frustration towards all the lousy spotters out there in the gyms. Sofar I've met TWO good spotters out of everyone I've asked helping me with lifts. Here's a few things which are common mistakes imo.

1. Never Correcting Form

As a spotter you have the unique opportunity to study the form of the lift. Most spotters just say "ye thats good, push!". If someone is performing a squat and bend their back and the spotter does not correct this form then a few years later a disc might pop and the athlete is ruined. As a spotter it's your responsibility to make the lifter aware of the form you have issues with. This is not the same as forcing him to change the form. He might have a reason to perform the lift in a different way.

2. Help too much

Spotting is there to give the last help if the athlete cannot complete the lift himself. It's NOT about a lift becoming a duo lift where you help too much. If the bar is moving then dont touch it. Measuring progress if you help too much is very hard. If you help too much then the athlete might think hes stronger than he is leaving you on a bad road where he increases weight and you need to lift more to compensate.

3. Doesn't pay attention

As a spotter your FOCUS and your RESPONSIBILITY is to assist the lifter. If a wall collapses ten feet away your focus shouldnt be affected at all. Give 100% attention to the bar, NOTHING else should be in your mind besides the safety of the person you are spotting. If someone is talking to you while you are spotting kindly tell them to be quiet and to wait until you are done spotting.

4. Talking too much

Do NOT talk about anything which divert attention from the lift for the athlete you are spotting. Use short sentences that doesnt require process in the brain. "One more!" "Bend your back more!", "All the way down", "cmon push!". These are all good but getting a spotter saying "did you happen to catch the soccer game last night, Beckham dribbled past three defenders and hit the ball in the squarly in the cross". Stuff like this forces the lifters mind away from the lift.

I even had one telling me a ****ing joke once!

5. Lifting too little

Some spotters are afraid to help out even if the bar is going in the wrong direction and its obvious the lifter cannot complete the rep. The lifter shouldn't have to tell you that you should help to lift the bar. If the bar stops or goes in the wrong direction you help!

6. Not knowing HOW to spot

Some spotters never ask how they are supposed to spot. For example: If you spot someone squatting you dont try to help lift the bar, you put your arms around their core and lift up. Make sure you know exactly what to do before you agree to spot. Performing a spot wrong might cause more harm than good if you yank the bar in the wrong direction.

Hope this thread helps a little.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lifeforce said:
5. Lifting too little

. If the bar stops or goes in the wrong direction you help!

Ew please don't touch my bar just because it's stopped. I don't know how many times a redoubling of effort and sheer will power has gotten a bar of mine to resume moving.

Actual lowering of the bar is another story.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lifeforce said:
If you spot someone squatting you dont try to help lift the bar, you put your arms around their core and lift up.
I don't agree with this part. I think if you're spotting someone who is squatting and they fail, it's better to push the bar up than the lifter. If you grab them and push them they might lose balance. Plus it's an embarrassing position to be in (unless the lifter is a girl :p )

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, this is the first time I'm hearing of spotting a squat like that. I always spot by having my palms underneath the bar outside of the lifter's arms. And I go down with the lifter too just in case they fail at the bottom and I need to help them lift the bar up.

Otherwise, good advice. Doubt many people outside of this forum will read it or understand the spotting etiquette.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just a last quick reply before I go to sleep. If you spot a squat by touching the bar and lifting you wont have any good leverage for strength. Tucking in the arms under the arms helping to lift up the body rather than the bar is the usual and correct way of spotting a squat. You will have alot more power than by helping to lift the bar and there is minimal risk to yank the bar in the wrong direction.

Check any squat video on youtube if you dont believe me.

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wonder if I can print this out and post it at my gym..

womann

Banned
Reaction score
Having a good spotter is very important. For one if you have a reliable spotter who motivates you, your bench press journey on Critical Bench will be that much more successful. The thing about training partners is that it's always hard to find someone who is as dedicated to training as you are. However, when you do find a training partner who is as dedicated, reliable and understands the "art" of spotting, then every time you step onto the bench you will feel more confident, energized and you will have one less thing to worry about. Remember, if you change your circumstances in the gym, then you will have better and more productive workouts every-time you step foot into the gym. So get together with your spotter or alone as we all have to spot at some point! In this article I will provide you with new insight about how to spot and coach the bencher effectively.

rafell.carter

Reaction score
spotters are only around for when something bad happens but sometimes they aren't available and you might try anyway. Don't put collars on the bar if you do this. You can tip the weights off. It will be loud and bumpy but you can save yourself.
Also try to get a good spotter. Most just interfere with your lifting. Tell him to keep his hands off the bar. They shouldn't even get close unless you start that backwards slide. Even then they should only give you a minimum amount of help. When I spot I stand back and if help is needed I only lend 2 fingers. It is enough to relieve only 5-10lbs of weight. That is all the help the lifter needs. A spotter doesn't need to lift the entire weight off the lifter. He just needs to lift the few pounds the lifter can't. The more they struggle (even in failure) the better it is to grow muscle. The worst spotter is the guy who dangles his junk above your face while your lifting. Tell him to back off unless it is necessary. When I ask for a spot I usually tell him what I expect of him:
No lift off
I'll be doing this many, and it will be touch and go at this point
Don't help unless I start to backslide
and even then help the minimum amount for me to put it up.

It helps if you know your own strength and have done the lift/reps before.