How the **** do you dance?

vlf445

Don Juan
Reaction score
In college I've been going out and having fun at parties where we hang out n play drinking games. But when it comes to those big parties where its too loud to talk and all you can do is dance, get another drink, piss, and dance some more, I'm pretty terrible.

I go into the night feeling confident, but as soon as I get on a dance floor I crash n burn. I dance anyway cuz I'm not gonna wallflower it up all night, but the people I'm dancing with can't stop laughin at me, the people around me are looking and laughing and making comments, and no chicks ever wanna dance with me. Apparently I suck something awful out there.

Ive tried to go along with it n have fun with them laughing at me, but theyre more laughin at me and not with me. What I hate is Im really not doing anything ridiculous like flailing my arms. I'm just rocking back and forth with the music :woo: . After last night with my own friends literally whispering in each others ears, looking at me and laughing while I dance I just got fed up. Something that's supposed to be fun is miserable for me now.

I'm starting to think it would be better for me to sit out on this stuff, but I think thats pretty lame. I just can't stand the ridicule...

tl:dr -- I suck at dancing and need to get better so I don't scare girls off

Myrrdin

Don Juan
Reaction score
Take dance classes! Try hip-hop, salsa, whatever. It's important in the first stage to learn a few moves, form a musical ear and learn to move on the music.

JLW

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it would be best if you posted up video of you dancing so we can critique it.:whistle:

All kidding aside, this would actually be really good feedback. If you're afraid of the video spreading throughout the internet and everyone in the world making fun of your dancing techniques, you could record the video with a bag over your head so no one will ever know it's you.

Korrupt

Banned
Reaction score
LMAO at the responses.

You kinda just move and "pop" with the beat. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, doesn't even need to be good, really. As long as you're having fun it's all good and nobodies even gonna notice you on a crowded dance floor.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
just learn how to do a basic two step. Side to side. Learn how to feel rhythm. And just relax. Start listening to club music at home and just get the feel of the rhythm. Don't go all out trying to do any crazy hiphop dances, nobody dances like that but professional dancers. Just learn how to move with the beat. Also observe and imitate. Do what you see others around you doing. Good luck.

Korrupt

Banned
Reaction score
Warrior74 said:
just learn how to do a basic two step. Side to side. Learn how to feel rhythm. And just relax. Start listening to club music at home and just get the feel of the rhythm. Don't go all out trying to do any crazy hiphop dances, nobody dances like that but professional dancers. Just learn how to move with the beat. Also observe and imitate. Do what you see others around you doing. Good luck.
I agree. Start listening to techno, trance and house music to get a feel for the beat if you're serious about getting better at dancing. It's also great music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySMzyOB0MKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctr-t0LxD9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UXVYVoz7w8&ob=av2nl

Alien

Don Juan
Reaction score
10 tips:

1: Drink enough
2: Try to feel the beat
3: Look at the other guys around you
4: Look at the other guys around you
5: Look at the other guys around you
6: Look at the other guys around you

Bonus tip:
Look at the other guys around you

Die Hard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just go with easy stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7L0JkKVk_k

Just simple movements, rocking back and forth, or left and right. Or stepping left, then stepping right and move one arm with every step you make (doesn't matter if it's the arm opposite to the foot that's stepping or the one on the same side). Or instead of moving your arm with each step you make, you just pop your shoulder forward at the same time.

No flashy, complicated moves, just very basic. If you do it often, it'll look smoother and smoother. It's all in the WAY you move, not what KIND of move you make. I never make anything but very basic moves, yet people tell me I'm a good dancer, lol. That's because I make these simple moves in a very smooth manner and always in line with the beat. When you move an arm, doesn't matter in what direction or if it's a straight or circular motion or whatever, you make sure you don't move JUST the arm. You move your upper body a little with it, whether it's forth or back or a turning motion. When you make a step, it's not just with your foot/leg, you also move your hips a little etc. etc. Just make your body move as a whole instead of moving limbs individually. And there's no need to make big movements, on the contrary, just move everything a little. Even that 2 centimeters that your shoulder pops forward when you move your arm, makes the movement look much better, same counts for that little degree of turning your upper body while you move your arm. Etc. etc. Just practice in front of the mirror, lol.