Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How much protein?

elmnick

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not trying to get huge but would quite like to put some muscle on. I've heard figures of protein consumption like 1g per day for pound of bodyweight, but what does this really mean. I weigh about 143lb, how would I go about getting 140g of protein per day, can someone put that into context of what I should be eating in one day.
I'm not seriously into weight training and there's no way I'm going to eat six meals a day every day, what's the best way of getting the necessary protein without having to dedicate lots of time for it.
Also what's the best way of increasing protein, I'm guessing a few extra pieces of ham at lunch isn't going to make much differance, but what is good for snacking on?

cheers

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its 1.5-2grams per lbs. Yes, that means if you weigh 143 its 286. If you want results, you have to be consistent, you don't NEED 6 meals, but 4-5 will be absolutely unavoidable to get the total calorie and protein needs for your body to build muscle.

elmnick...sounds like you really don't want to do this. Why are you bothering. Let me tell you something, being a 143, its going to take a few years to look like Arnold or Ronnie coleman olympia style. If it was so damn easy, everyone would do it and be done in a year to get huge, so put that theory in the fvckin toilet and flush it. You will wish it worked that fast, trust me.

read this FIRST - http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60002 By Pook

and then move on here and get ready to start:

Here is a diet plan

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134782

and a workout plan

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125444
***Compliments of EFFORT****

some basic things you should know when your done researching

*learn what whey is and how to use it
*learn about how much calories, protein, carbs, and fat you will need
*start drinking loads of water
*start eating your fruits and veges
*be ready to spend a little money
*start to learn the value of food and its real use
*Make a Fitness journal on Sosuave
*How to Apply everything you learn

Read everything in the H&F Vault http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=126233

AND IF you don't like it, stay a skinny shrimp. Tough love for you friend, don't make me waste my time writing this post. :box: :box: :box:

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I still haven't heard a good answer of how those lifers in prison pump up like bulls even though they aren't visiting GNC and eating that slop they serve behind bars.

navyseal2101

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i thought roids was the answer and they buy it by selling drugs in jail.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know. But I'm not aware of steroid use being widespread in prison. I know drugs leak in, but even then, you're talking about tiny amounts that have to be hidden in clever ways.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
you're talking about tiny amounts that have to be hidden in clever ways.
True... but if I'm not mistaken the average "cycle" doesn't take up a lot of space, volume-wise. I mean, 10cc's of a liquid isn't a lot to sneak in from what I'd imagine. I would think the main issue would be getting the needles in - I mean, I can understand someone sneaking in steroids, but putting dozens of syringe needles in private areas? No thanks - I can't see many people even coming close to wanting to risk that.

Bryce556

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
roids dont do you any good, its gets results at the cost of your health, but also its not that good healthy fit and strong look its somthing differnt it jsut dosent look natrual.

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what happens after you get big? do you have to keep eating 2 grams per pound to stay big?

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you want to put some muscle on, 1g / lb will do it. If you want to do competitive bodybuilding, then 2g / lb. I never even hit 1g / lb daily but I was still able to gain enough muscle mass to look good

And for extra protein if you don't want to radically alter your diet, just buy a tub of whey protein or Nitrotech and drink a glass after every lifting workout. The point is to get enough protein in your body so your body can regenerate the muscle you broke down in the gym while you sleep. Upping the number of meals optimizes muscle growth, but if you're not trying to bodybuild, it's not essential.

Glutamine also helps to keep your body from going catabloic (feeling like crap the next day following a hard workout because your body is shutting down). Also make sure you drink a lot of water and get plenty of sleep.

Protein bars are another easy source of protein. Promax is the only one I've tried that doesn't taste like crap

For me, all I use is Nitrotech and Glutamine. Hope this helps

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Obsidian said:
what happens after you get big? do you have to keep eating 2 grams per pound to stay big?
worry about that once you get big

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ready123 said:
if you want to put some muscle on, 1g / lb will do it. If you want to do competitive bodybuilding, then 2g / lb. I never even hit 1g / lb daily but I was still able to gain enough muscle mass to look good

And for extra protein if you don't want to radically alter your diet, just buy a tub of whey protein or Nitrotech and drink a glass after every lifting workout. The point is to get enough protein in your body so your body can regenerate the muscle you broke down in the gym while you sleep. Upping the number of meals optimizes muscle growth, but if you're not trying to bodybuild, it's not essential.

Glutamine also helps to keep your body from going catabloic (feeling like crap the next day following a hard workout because your body is shutting down). Also make sure you drink a lot of water and get plenty of sleep.

Protein bars are another easy source of protein. Promax is the only one I've tried that doesn't taste like crap

For me, all I use is Nitrotech and Glutamine. Hope this helps
This sounds sensible. I just want to look good in form fitting shirts like the Calvin Klein models do, not going for the compeititive body builder look.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Obsidian said:
what?? You think the muscles are going to fall off your body? Only if you starve yourself

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Obsidian said:
The whole point of eating that much protein is to replace the muscle you destroyed in the gym. If you didn't have a hard workout today, there's no reason why you'd need to eat that much. The extra protein will just pass out of your system, wasted.

On the other hand, without constant workouts, your muscle is gonna degrade to fat so if you wanna maintain that buff look, you're gonna need to workout and destroy/build back up your muscles regularly.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
elmnick, you need 1.5g/lb to 2.0g/lb of protein. You sound like you can't really be arsed with it...don't do it then. You won't grow muscle if you keep eating like Joe Average.

To get your protein you need to eat beef, eggs, chicken, tuna, whey protein. It's not "easy" to start with but consider this...

You're 140lbs so you need 215-290g of protein. You could have 3 protein shakes that are 50gg each. Protein shakes are easy to make so even without solid food you've had 150g of protein. Then put in 6 eggs, that's 40g of protein. Then beef for a meal or 2, that's 50g. And 2 tins of tuna...That's 300g of protein...and you don't even need that much. How's that difficult necessarily? It's only difficult if you're not willing to do it.

And what's this crap about prisoners getting big.

1) they have good genetics (think your average strong buff prisoner...a black male)

2) they DO have access to whey and other things. Why do you think they don't?? The serious ones get people to bring it in for them

3) many of them are on steroids. A few peeps are saying they'll be hard to get in prison. LOL, are you serious??? Prisons are riddled with drugs.

drmeathead

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ready123 said:
The whole point of eating that much protein is to replace the muscle you destroyed in the gym. If you didn't have a hard workout today, there's no reason why you'd need to eat that much. The extra protein will just pass out of your system, wasted.

On the other hand, without constant workouts, your muscle is gonna degrade to fat so if you wanna maintain that buff look, you're gonna need to workout and destroy/build back up your muscles regularly.

false and false

muscle does not turn to fat. it shrinks in size. which brings me to my second point, if you are taking in more protien than your body can use it is turned to fat. whether you are lifting heavy or not your body cant process more than 30 grams or so at a time. again let me state it as histological fact...muscle does not morph into fat. (if you dont know what histology is ****ing google it)

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So this means that I don't have to drink a protein shake on my rest days? Only after workout?

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ready123 is wrong...you grow as much if not more on rest days. so you need the protein as much if not more on rest days. and you don't get fat if you don't workout, this only happens if your calories in exceed calories out. however if you build a lot of muscle, it will slowly break itself down if you stop lifting entirely. but it doesn't "degrade to fat"

And the body does not turn protein to fat if you consume more than 30 grams. if you really put in more than it can handle at one time (and this is very hard to do), you're more likely to piss it out than put it on as bodyfat.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I still haven't heard a good answer of how those lifers in prison pump up like bulls even though they aren't visiting GNC and eating that slop they serve behind bars.
Thats because stupid kids who read to many bodybuilding magazines and bodybuilding websites get caught up in the marketing game. NO ONE NEEDS ADDITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS or WHEY PROTEIN POWDER. If you can just eat chicken, beef, eggs veggies, fruits and a few additional things, you will GAIN better than any supp or protein powder could ever provide.

The only items you may want to spend money on is fish oil and a multi-vitamin. If your eating right you'll be so satisfied you won't have anywhere to fit in whey protein or additional supps.

I always crack up when I see threads about how much money people spend on supps and come up with all these crazy ideas about combining things and experimenting etc..thinking there actually doing something beneficial to muscle hypertrophy, when regular food does everything you need and more.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What is the value of fish oil?

And D&B, what kind of bulk have you put on with your no-supplement diet? How much do you eat in a typical day?