How important is cardio to building muscle?

Reaction score
I've been hitting the gym for about 6 months and drinking protein shakes and trying to eat decent. I still drink alcohol a few times a week though and eat fast food.

I've been hitting the weight machines and doing squats. I'm building good muscle but I haven't done 1 minute of cardio. I hate tread mills. Is it possible to get cut without the cardio and just weights if I cut out the fast food and beer?

I usually go to the gym and use the weight machines non stop for 45 min to an hour about 3 times a week.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yes, you can get cut through diet manipulation alone but:
1 - it's harder
2 - it's less healthy
3 - you will probably lose strength and muscle while cutting

cardio will also make you grow faster if you're trying to gain.

there is absolutely no reason to not do some form of cardio regardless of your goals, and doing none is always detrimental, to your health if nothing else.

Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
yes, you can get cut through diet manipulation alone but:
1 - it's harder
2 - it's less healthy
3 - you will probably lose strength and muscle while cutting

cardio will also make you grow faster if you're trying to gain.

there is absolutely no reason to not do some form of cardio regardless of your goals, and doing none is always detrimental, to your health if nothing else.

Thanks Warboss. I just can't get the motivation to hop on a treadmill. I love lifting weights it makes me feel great.

I'll have to force myself onto that treadmill. Is it important to do the cardio right before you lift weights? Maybe I can just ride a bike a few miles on the days I don't lift.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vlad the Impaler said:
I'll have to force myself onto that treadmill. Is it important to do the cardio right before you lift weights? Maybe I can just ride a bike a few miles on the days I don't lift.
Cardio before you lift weights (unless as a 5-10 minute warmup) is not a good idea. Cardio can be done after your workout if you want. Otherwise do it any time of day you want (best done fasted in the morning though).

Biking is an acceptable alternative to the treadmill, as is just going for a brisk walk around your neighbourhood. Lots of other ways to do cardio too, depending on your recovery levels and your goals.

Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
Cardio before you lift weights (unless as a 5-10 minute warmup) is not a good idea. Cardio can be done after your workout if you want. Otherwise do it any time of day you want (best done fasted in the morning though).

Biking is an acceptable alternative to the treadmill, as is just going for a brisk walk around your neighbourhood. Lots of other ways to do cardio too, depending on your recovery levels and your goals.

Very interesting. I was under the impression that cardio was important in the same session as lifting weights. I see guys at the gym using the treadmill, and then stopping and lifting some weights.

And then hopping back on the treadmill. Are they doing it wrong?

Reaction score
Espi said:
Do cardio...you'll notice you squat heavier and longer if you do cardio...and the treadmill, of course, isn't the only type of cardio you can do...make it fun.

I love those squats. Actually I only started doing those recently. I'm new to the Gym and still learning all the equipment. That Squat machine is awesome.

I did about 200 lbs when I first started the Squats, and the next day every muscle in my lower body was sore. I could barely walk.

200lbs is pretty weak for Squats right?? What is a respectable amount?

Keep in mind I was pretty scrawny a year ago. Damn I wish I started going to the gym years ago...My date this weekend called me "buff".

What a transformation in only 6 months!

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vlad the Impaler said:
And then hopping back on the treadmill. Are they doing it wrong?
Doing cardio after your workout is okay, but I wouldn't do anything before the workout that could impact what you can lift. So five minutes brisk walk on the treadmill to warm up is fine, but 45 mins running on the elliptical right before you squat is not. Save your energy for the weights. Then afterwards if you want to have a walk on the treadmill or pull a sled around the car park, go for it.

A 200lb squat after six months is not bad at all, if it's a free squat to a reasonable depth. If it's on a smith machine (is this what you mean by squat machine? http://www.uams.edu/gethealthy/facility/nautilus/smith_machine.jpg) then bid it a fond farewell and introduce yourself to a squat/power rack. :D

Congrats on the transformation btw. Keep it up.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That Squat machine is awesome.
Alarm gongs started going off in my head when I read this.

Squats should look like this.
Watch the whole video, he does some olympic lifting at the start as a warmup. Don't worry about how heavy it is, just observe the form and technique he uses.

Squats should NOT look like this.

Machine squats can certainly be used in the right circumstances(low end of a cutting cycle, etc), but they're a piss poor substitute for regular back squats.

Aragon034

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i think smith machine squat CAN be useful, but no way is it a good primary way of building.

I used to do squats on it with my legs 12 inches in front, (also used hack squat machine) Instead of my quads being primary muscles used, my hams and glutes were hit harder.

Will definately continue doing it once i'm healed up. :D

Reaction score
Guys, I go to Golds Gym, and the squat machine looks nothing like both of you posted.

I mean it's a machine, and it's got 2 shoulder pads, and then you put the metal peg into how much weight you want to lift.

I know that real Squats have the bar like what you posted, is my gym high tech or something?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Aragon034 said:
i think smith machine squat CAN be useful, but no way is it a good primary way of building.

I used to do squats on it with my legs 12 inches in front, (also used hack squat machine) Instead of my quads being primary muscles used, my hams and glutes were hit harder.

doesn't always matter how hard your muscles are hit on an exercise - go and do skullcrushers with just the bar for several hundred reps (or any other similar isolation exercise). your triceps will be destroyed but did you gain anything from it? nope.

what matters is the carryover/strength gain from it to the core exercises like the squat and deadlift which are going to be responsible for 90% of your strength and size gains.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vlad the 1mpaler said:
Guys, I go to Golds Gym, and the squat machine looks nothing like both of you posted.

I mean it's a machine, and it's got 2 shoulder pads, and then you put the metal peg into how much weight you want to lift.

I know that real Squats have the bar like what you posted, is my gym high tech or something?
It's another type of machine squat. doesn't matter - go find a rack. :)

AmpleReason

Don Juan
Reaction score
Why not do the following plan

Mon/Wed/Fri - Weights
Tues/Thurs - Cardio

You don't necessarily have to do running or biking. If you go to a gym why not see what classes they have on offer, Body Combat is a good work out and you can develop your kicking skills.

RE:Squats. Do them with a free olympic bar and squat your arse below your knees. Otherwise you won't get the full benefits. Remember not to arch your back and keep your chin level.

I was doing 200lb Squats until I realised I was doing it wrong. Now I'm doing 135lbs and stuggling at the end.

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Aragon034 said:

Just do deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, leg press, good mornings, lunges, and step ups if you want to work your hamstrings/glutes.

The only thing smith machines are good for is to show off what a strong manly man you are. :whistle:

And yeah, agree with Alex. Do what he said, Vlad. Well except for the part about doing cardio fasted. I read some research (via IA forums) that doing full morning cardio is better because of greater hormonal and cardiovascular response.

I know we're just debating theories and speculations here because at the end of the day, doing cardio fasted or full doesn't matter to an average trainee (and my defintion of average is you aren't deadlifting 500+ and squatting 400+). Just do what gives you consistent gains/results.

BTW Alex, conditioning sucks big time bro. Everytime I start sprinting, I just think about how my heart/lung is going to hate me for putting them through all that hell. But it's worth it in the long run though. :yes:

Reaction score
The Bat said:
Just do deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, leg press, good mornings, lunges, and step ups if you want to work your hamstrings/glutes.
I'm new to the gym scene so I'm not familiar with the names of the excersizes.

As for bench presses, I mainly use the "seated bench press"... is that the one where you sit down and push the weight forward? I'm up to 220lbs on that, is that decent? What do you think I could bench?

I don't have a spotter so I stay away from the real bench press. I probably don't need a spotter.

I also love the "dips" machine for working the triceps. The bicep machines, and then the squats.

That's basically most of my program right now, but I spread it out and work the proper muscle groups.

AmpleReason

Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
Don't you mean, remember to arch your back? :confused:
I meant rounding of the lower back really. Arching, rounding, all sounds the same.

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vlad for the best gains as a general rule you need to stay away from machines and use free weights. The machines more so isolate where the free weights make you utilize more muscles so you work more = gain more.

The big 3:
Deadlift
bench press
squats (you want to make sure you do these in a power rack)

Any of this confusing? Remember google is your friend. Look it up. :)

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vlad, I hate treadmills as well. In fact I haven't stepped on a treadmill for many months now. I use crossfit circuit style workouts to maintain some semblance of conditioning. I assimilate circuit work into my regular weight training days. I will on occasion also use a full training session just for conditioning purposes. As Epsi and some of the other guys said, conditioning will help you increase your lifts.

Try a 20 rep squat with a challenging weight...I think that's a true test of conditioning! One of the most important things I've come to learn in the last year is to constantly change up the exercises that you do. This will totally keep your body guessing and prevent it from adapting. The end result is that you'll be a better athlete.

You can find more information on crossfit at www.crossfit.com ...

Good luck and keep up the good work.