Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How do you stay on track with your diet?

mellow_yellow

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd like to know how you guys go about staying disciplined with your diet without sacrificing your social life. Do you count calories with MyFitnessPal, estimate your macronutrient intake, cook up and eat the same meal everyday, or follow a different regimen? I'm curious if you have a plan that's easy to follow where you don't have to think about calories or resist eating when hanging out with friends.

It seems to me that the only true way of controlling your calorie or macronutrient intake is by measuring out and cooking everything yourself. If I want complete control over what I put in my body, then I basically shouldn't go out with friends or if I do go out, I'll have to watch my friends eat. Of course, this isn't realistic since it takes a ton of willpower to resist.

I used to count calories using MyFitnessPal and it got exhausting because it's impossible to estimate the calories and macros you're getting from a meal at a local restaurant. Right now, I'm keeping a food journal so I'm aware of how much I'm eating and I'm definitely eating too much. My goal is to reduce my body fat from 25% to 15%.

Fzatf

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The last time I cut successfully I kept my meals similar day to day. I waited to eat until I felt hungry since I usually don't feel hungry until 3 pm or so. Intermittent fasting helps some reduce their calorie intake. As for eating with your friends or eating something fun, you can still manage it so long as your careful with what you eat the rest of the day.

I guestimated my calories as best as I could and it is more difficult when you eat out but not impossible. If you're not losing week to week eating less next week worked for me; however, if you want to be more accurate using a calorie tracker and weighing your food works.

Paradiddle

Don Juan
Reaction score
I saw progress in my physique after I stopped counting the calories. I workout every morning in my home (got some dumbbells and barbells) and then have oats and egg whites and then I eat whatever I can but keep in mind about the carbs I am having and take in more proteins and fruits. I have 5 meals per day. That's it. I don't know why but this is totally working out for me rather than counting all the sh!t and going into all those micro-nutrient and stuff.

Red Legg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I walk 5 miles every morning,that alone along with eating under 10 carbs a day kills my appetite.I am so used to this regimen now that I have no hunger at all.

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been shooting for 500 calorie meals. Seems to be working, not too hungry, not too full.

It's light on my feet, good for working!

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's easiest to follow dieting principles, rather than adhere to a strict script. That will help you improvise and stay on track under any circumstance.

First and foremost, get a physical from your primary doctor before building your diet. You need to know your blood pressure, lipid profile, and family history. What works for one person doesn't always agree with another person's genetics. For example, my father can eat all the red meat he wants and always has perfect cholesterol levels. On the other hand, my mother's cholesterol soars if she even smells red red meat. As men we remember that health comes before the looks / physique.

My basic dieting princples are as follows:

- Don't drink your calories.
The only liquids you should drink are water, coffee and tea** (more on that later), and alcohol*. (more on that later).

- Always eat (a similar) breakfast
Don't ever skip breakfast. It's the most important meal. I've been eating the same breakfast almost every day for 4 years (Oatmeal, almonds, and a large apple). Make something simple and filling that agrees with your schedule. Keeping it consistent goes a long way towards keeping 1/3 of your meals "clean."

-Eat at least 3 meals per day
Don't listen to the fitness gurus who advocate 6 meals per day. If you can do it that's fine. Most working people can't. Focus on breakfast, lunch, dinner, a snack only if you get hungry, and post-workout snack on exercise days.

-Drink as much water as possible
Self-explanatory. A gallon a day is ideal, but outside of meal windows you should aim to down as much water as you can.

-Eat 2 large salads per day
Vegetables are rich in vitamins, fiber, water, and antioxidants. Make an effort to eat them with (or for) lunch and dinner every day. If you're traveling on a trip, order a salad for lunch and to go at the airport. To curb hunger, order it with grilled salmon or chicken. Take it easy on the toppings and creamy salad dressings. If you can make your own salads and dressing at home, even better.

-Eliminate refined carbohydrates
White bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, candy, sugary drinks, etc. You can do without all of it. Natural simple sugar like fruit and honey is okay, in moderation.

-Avoid fast food chains and processed foods
Just stay away. Salt and trans fat central.

-Eat only when hungry
This seems self explanatory but many broscience fitness gurus say you should force feed yourself (some in excess of 4000 calories per day!) to get big. This is a dangerous myth. If you lift heavy and are trying to build muscle, your hunger will increase naturally. Listen to your body. If you eat when your body demands it, you will grow.

-Try to avoid snacks
You should only snack when hungry. Food is fuel. If you get hungry outside of regular meal hours, you didn't eat enough. If you have to snack, choose a healthy snack such as nuts or greek yogurt.

-Learn how to cook, grocery shop, and read ingredient labels.
You should be cooking as many of your meals as possible. Generally speaking, the less ingredients on food at the store, the better.

-No Protein Powders, Vitamins, or Supplements
Protein shakes are a waste of money, give you gas, and are nothing but overpriced dried milk protein. You can get 100% of your vitamins and protein from whole foods. The average Western diet has more than enough protein for muscle growth as it is. Vitamins are unnecessary for healthy humans, unless specifically prescribed by your doctor.

-Choose heart healthy protein sources

Eggs, non-fat dairy, white-meat poultry, fish, beans, peanut / almond butter, and nuts should make up the majority of your protein sources. Save the red meat for cheat meals.

-Cheat 2 meals per week
Allow yourself to indulge 2 meals per week. Disregard all of the above rules for these two meals. You don't have to cheat, but it's okay if you do. Following the 2 meals per week guideline, ~90% of your meals are "clean"

*Alcohol - Alcohol is fine in moderation. Limit to 1-2 drinks per day. Less is obviously better. For social functions, allow yourself an extra drink. However, never drink more than 3 on one of these outings. Your wallet, gut, and a DUI-free record will thank you.

**Coffee / Tea - Try to drink these black, or with minimal sugar, honey, or milk. Avoid artificial creams and sweeteners. Limit coffee consumption to 2 cups per day.

These guidelines work for me. My diet isn't really scripted but with these principles I know what to eat wherever I go. I focus on only eating whole foods and until I am satisfied.

stovepipe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I walk 5 miles every morning,that alone along with eating under 10 carbs a day kills my appetite.I am so used to this regimen now that I have no hunger at all.
Under 10 carbs? That's ridiculous man. Why so low? How many calories you eat a day?

Red Legg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Under 10 carbs? That's ridiculous man. Why so low? How many calories you eat a day?
I don't really count calories for me counting carbs is easier...but I do know I have to be in a deficit because I lose weight.I mostly eat steak and eggs and leafy greens.