How do you read the Dictionary & Encyclopedia

misterethoughts

Don Juan
Reaction score
How do you read the dictionary & Encyclopedia... Tips? Techniques?

Experience? Suggestions?

I do not know if this been brought up before. If it has close it, if not please share. Thank You!

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well the way I do it... First look with the eyes, and then comprehend.

KillaCam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, the general consensus on reading is to scan with your eyes, comprehend, then turn the page.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It depends on why you want to read the dictionary. Trying to expand your vocab? Use the thesaurus instead. The dictionary is a massive collection that you would be foolish in trying to read.

However, if you feel the need...

Read 2 pages a day (One front, one back) maybe more if you feel the need. Take some quick notes on them, then quiz yourself on the meaning of the word. That day, try using one of the words you read in your normal speech.

misterethoughts

Don Juan
Reaction score
thank you alll... Well, yea for building vocabulary.. but at the same time it's like basic facts.. for my writing and such... in addition, i kinda find it fun.. but most of you just read it as a book i see?

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
try doing it like spelling bees and take 10 words at a time to memorize the spelling and meaning. it seems to work for them.

i bet you can even find a website online to help.

KillaCam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't dusted off my dictionary in donkeys years come to think of it..

That's probably what attributed to my failures at school :(

Nah, jokes aside, good to see you taking some pride in gaining a wealth of knowledge, stick to it and you're be a super brain in no time.

Good luck.

misterethoughts

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks man i appreciate it...I been doing that.. i actually started rewriting my dictionary word for word from a to z and then i started rewriting my grammar book word for word... but i haven't kept at it... i should... I need to work on my grammar..thanks again all...

piterx

Don Juan
Reaction score
do it randomly..by time you will be full of unnecessary knowledge that could be told to your mates :)