How do you handle idiots in public that start on you when with a girl?

HappyHarryHardon

Don Juan
Reaction score
I swear to god this seems to happen more often when you're with a girl. I usually don't get picked on alone, also I don't look weak or anything. I have a shaved head and stubble so I assume I'm not the best target. But all of a sudden today (it's been a long time since I've been picked on), while walking to the train station in the city with a girl, these young group of guys asked if we had money. The girl said "no sorry", then I said no. As we walked off they kind of mocked me and kept getting louder the further we got and I think I heard the f word. I just kept walking and joked with the girl about how they need a job. She said they didn't want money, they asked on purpose to annoy us. I'm thinking it's cause I was with a good looking girl and they just wanted to start with me.

How do you guys handle situations like this? I feel very uncomfortable when I get picked on in public as I'm not a violent person and hate fights. Especially when I'm with a girl.

zinc4

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ignore them unless you are carrying a gun...too many of them....if you had said something back, no doubt they would have jumped you right there...i hate guys like that...each one of them deserves to be shot in a kneecap or two...

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yep best thing is ignore and keep going without showing any fear vibe, in case you are afraid just think about how some bastard is ruining your day for no reason and you'll see how such fear will turn into anger.

Anyway dont talk with them or joke with them trying to empathise, whatever you say they'll find a way to use again you for other insults and escalate.

So ignore and keep going, if one of them gets close push him away and make clear that you're not looking for trouble but given the chance to hurt them you will.

Just like women can smell afcism, bullies can smell weakness and if you have to strike (if u're forced to) do it as hard as possible, when protecting a girl you get the "hero card" if police show up.

HappyHarryHardon

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I love that movie and that scene. Maybe if I had a gun like that I would do an Eastwood on their ass as well :) - It was pretty similar what happened. Also you notice how it happened probably because he was with a girl? Sucks huh?

Zion

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I got a pretty short fuse when it comes to sh!t like that. For the exact reason you describe ,OP. These low-lifes only start on you when with a girl AND when theres at least 3 of them.

Have a clear limit.If push comes to shove , like someone above said , hit as hard as you possibly can and also make damn sure you're the one that hits first. Try to make sure that at least one won't be getting up too easy. Also , always know that you might get your ass kicked yourself , so tell the girl to move away in these scenarios. Last thing you want is for her to get hurt.

My limit is:

"Talk all the sh!t you want. Touch me or the girl , you're losing that arm".

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry, OP, me and my friends were just horsing around that day. I had no idea you were one of us.

These cowards probably sensed that you're the kind of guy who doesn't like to fight, and of course they knew you were at a severe disadvantage because you were with a woman. I've never really had this problem because I look like an ass-kicker, even though I have always despised fighting.

The way to handle it is to look like an ass kicker. Do you look down at the ground and meek when you walk around, or do you look alert and situationally aware, as if anyone who picks on you is going to have a very real problem? It is known that punks and bullies are more likely to leave a man alone who looks around and is aware, as if he's ready to fight if he has to.

HappyHarryHardon

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was actually surprised it happened since I don't get picked on much. It rarely happens. I'm not going to talk myself up but I do look pretty tough. I have a shaved head and sport a stubble. I will give you an example, I look a bit like Lenny Kravitz (well I get told) - I just absolutely hate fighting and don't even remember the last time I was in one.

I've never had a one on one problem. It's always groups that call me names and even that doesn't happen much. I don't look at the ground, I walk with my head high, look confident and very friendly, which is why I was a little surprised. But I know today it happened 90% because I was with a girl and they wanted to look tough. That's all they do, talk crap. I would be shocked if they came up to me and touched me.

playa99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Were you conscious of them whilst walking towards them?

Sometimes groups of guys like to pick on dudes who look confident and are with a hot girl!

If your conscious that your walking towards a group of dudes, then something will likely happen, bullies sense fear.

Key is to laugh and walk away! If you know your the bigger man and are confident then its never gonna matter!

Also... chicks dig that your confident enough to laugh at idiots ;)

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You ignore them.

I remember one time a couple years ago I was kissing this girl on a bench outside a building in college. It was night. A group of guys came by and they were howling and hooting and all. "Go get a room!" one of them shouted. I laughed and just kept on doing what I was doing.

Another time I was necking in a car, also at night after the movies, and we were pulled up alongside the street. ****blocked by a police officer, who asked, "What are you doing?" She was female and fat, incidentally..probably a lesbian.

And lots of times when you walk outside with a girl everybody is going to stare in ways both subtle and non. I think it's just human curiosity.

You just laugh it off and don't let it get to you.

Uncharted

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Definitely agree. Do not say anything.

I was walking with a chick once and some thugs yelled at her. I told one of them to fvck off. Then I got surrounded and punched in the face. Thankfully the chick I was with called 911.

I'll never make that mistake again.

HappyHarryHardon

Don Juan
Reaction score
playa99 said:
Were you conscious of them whilst walking towards them?

Sometimes groups of guys like to pick on dudes who look confident and are with a hot girl!

If your conscious that your walking towards a group of dudes, then something will likely happen, bullies sense fear.

Key is to laugh and walk away! If you know your the bigger man and are confident then its never gonna matter!

Also... chicks dig that your confident enough to laugh at idiots ;)
Nope, I was so into the conversation I was having I didn't even see them until they asked and I looked back while continuing to walk.

playa99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In that case just laugh and grow a tough skin to guys like that... It does happen to most people at some point, don't let them bother you.. KNOW you are the bigger man and wouldn't stoop to there level

twentee

Banned
Reaction score
walking with a lovely student of mine, once. She asked me what she should do if we were attacked. I said"stay out of the way". she was offended, having had a few months of instuction and being pretty good. I said", you don't understand, honey. I'm gonna shoot 'em". :)

visions

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
sorry to hear about that. i hate bullies and trolls as much as you do.
...it's difficult to deal with a group of men since they can jump you. odds are high that they'll get the best of you. that's why it's recommended you try to defuse the situation or walk away. it sucks having to walk away feeling to kick their butt, but not much else you can do.

if you feel you need to improve your self-defense confidence take some martial arts classes.

CostaDeSol

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Uncharted said:
I was walking with a chick once and some thugs yelled at her. I told one of them to fvck off. Then I got surrounded and punched in the face. Thankfully the chick I was with called 911.

I'll never make that mistake again.
Well that blows. but the key is that you learned from it.

I'm weary of these situations myself since I don't look like I can kick anyone's a$$.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, how old are you?

As an aside, would you guys please put your age in your profile? It makes a difference when it comes to understanding who you're talking to.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
It's a strange phenomenon, but a guy is actually in more danger walking with a hot girl than walking alone.

Regardless, anything these punks say to you is a TRAP. Like WDW mentioned, there is NO right answer verbally, other than being silent and ignoring them. Anything you say (positive or negative) will be twisted around and considered an insult or provocation so he/they can feel "justified" with getting hostile and violent with you.

Take her hand and keep walking. Don't say anything to them.

I was walking with a buddy in NYC about 10 years ago. Some crazy and very big guy started talking shyte to me on the street. (I was very inexperienced and naive at the time.). I figured I would calm him down by trying to empathize...

Crazy guy: &$@$@@!& &$&&&$.

Mike32ct minus 10 ---- "I understand."

Crazy guy: BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

He flips out 5x worse and chases us 3 blocks until we lost him.

As I learned the hard way, there is NO right answer. Don't say jack shyte.

Last edited:

zinc4

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
exactly...for all you saying you have a short fuse or you would say something back that is fine but you will be beat up my multiple attackers...i learned the hard way several times actually....was beat up by 3 guys in college defending my GF one night or just saying something back...then one night at a bar outside in its parking lot was attacked by a gang of about 30 guys late earky in the morning as i was leaving...no joke just for mouthing off to one of them who started **** with me and my friend...beat us both to a pulp....yeah i got a few hits in on one or 2 of them but they beat the snot out of me...took turns in groups rotating in and out around me kicking me while i was laying on the ground...a freakin nightmare...

The rule is don't say anything unless you are fully prepared to back it up with force...and in most situations you will be vastly outnumbered because that is how people like that fight...they travel in groups big and small and set verbal traps for guys....and when you are with a girl they know you will be much more tempted to say something back to save face in front of the girl...don't fall for it...was also chased down by 3 black guys one night with my ex wife after they started hollering at us as we were walking home....i called 911 as i was running and luckily we were near a busy and well know street in that area..a sop car came pretty quickly and they ran away...

Aristippus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The thing too about walking with your woman and getting in a physical confrontation is 1) she might get hurt and 2) she's a liability. What I mean is, I'd rather face 3 guys alone than have a woman with me. She will only make it more difficult and get in the way. Now you have to make sure she's out of the way so she doesn't get hurt.

It's not always better to be with another person, even another man, in that situation. If he can't hold his own and can't handle himself, you will have to protect his a$$ too. Avoidance is the best policy anyway.