How can I remember names

dr0pxx

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello eveeryone

I cannot rmember anyones names. People will introduce themselves (some decent looking girls) and I will forget their names as soon as I hear them. Sometimes I will even repeat them. Unless I have known someone with the same name I will forget the name.

Has anyone read any books or can point me in the right direction. I have tried visualizing people I used to know to act as a way to rmember, but alot of these names are hard to remember!

any help appreciated

dr0p

The_Reaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I am the same. One thing I find helpful is to rhyme the name with something - Sally call rally, louise says please, etc etc. sounds stupid but it works, i read this advice from some book, forget which.

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
Haha, I do the all so safe, Hey, what's up! (and I listen within conversation for their name), saved my ass plenty :D

amoka

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Docs said:
Haha, I do the all so safe, Hey, what's up! (and I listen within conversation for their name), saved my ass plenty :D
This is a great way to remember name; however, the best way I've learnt so far is to picture their names written on their forehead. When they tell you thier name, ask them for the spelling ( no you're not an idiot when you ask "how do you spell it, Sally"). Once she spelt it out for you, just picture it written on their forehead....

specialed

Don Juan
Reaction score
stop drinking so much when you meet them.
but repeating them as they give you their name...and then repeat it again once you have all their names and smile.

works for me.

coldcoal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Get over the idea that forgetting someone's name is a horrible thing and get used to openly asking someone what their name was again. So long as you're friendly enough, this will never come accross as an insult and will only imply that you constantly meet a lot of people.

afc_2_dj

Don Juan
Reaction score
LOL! I have this problem as well, I feel like a real idiot!

Its a problem in noisy environments I find it hard to hear what the persons name is , convo is easier, cos one can pretty much make out the flow even if you miss words, but names are hard as they are not normal conversational words.

Names are supposed to be important to use in conversation with someone, as in "so sally, what gets your motor running?". Which doesn't work to well if you have forgetten their name already.

get used to openly asking someone what their name was again.
Its nice to know this doesn't seem to be taken as a problem, I feel very bad asking that again, I feel it would give the other person the impression I wsn't really listening or very interested.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heh, I really have this problem.

I was dating this girl for a month and I didn't remember her name at all. I would always call her 'babe', so one night I told her that I had delete all the numbers on my contact list by accident, and asked for her number again and how she spelled her name. It should have worked well, but she gave me this bad ass look and went like "T I N A".

Hehehe was funny as hell.

I found it helps if you use their name right away. Bring it up in the convo right away. Something like :
"Hey whats your name?"
"Christina"
"Nice to meet you Christina"

It seems to help for me at least.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep a notebook under your driver seat of your car of all the HBs you meet.

amoka

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blinkwatt said:
Keep a notebook under your driver seat of your car of all the HBs you meet.
Were are talking about meeting people at rare places here. How are you going to meet somebody in your car? ...... You can have lengthy converstation with her and you might associate something about her name with what you all talked about. Or you can ask her " Tell me something I can associate your name with" Just like the other day I was in my salsa class. I got all the girls mixed up. So, one of the girls approached me: "Hey Amoka, got this move going?" I was not surprised she remembered my name since there were very few guys in the class. Anyway, she had a neckless on that had letter "J" on it so I though her name was Jessica or something begins with "J". Mind you this girl had alread told me her name before but because there are a lot of girls in the class, I forgot her name. Anyway, I asked her " So, what is your name again? Something like Jessica, right?" Then, she looked at her neckless and said "ignore this, it was given to be by my mother". Then she said " Ohh Amoka, you already forgot my name?"
Amoka: "Well, not quite. I normally associate something with people's name and I thought the "J" on your neckless could mean Jessica. Apparently, it was a bad association. So, what is your name?"
Her: Elizabeth
Amoka: "mmm Elizabeth, do you anything I can associate your name with"?
Her: "Well, you can think of Queen of England". Still remember it...

Tell you fellas, it works like a charm. Ask them things their names can be associated with. She'll be more than happy to give it to you unless she does not want you to know her name.

Evo-Psych

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have the same problem especially when I open a set of 3 or more. I found that this works for me and lets me be a little bit C&F. After the introductions I say something like this:

Now I am going to tell you guys upfront that I can never remember people's names. So IF I like you I might ask for it again, but if you cannot remember mine then you can go to hell!
This usually starts some busting back and forth, sexual tension, playful kino, etc, and usually leads to them (or at least the target) to repeat her name enough times so that I can remember it.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you: "hey whats up , im matt"
her: "hey im stacy"
you: "hey stacy how are you?"
her "blah blah"
you: "do you come here often stacy?"
"what do you do for work stacy "
"blah blah blah stacy"
"it was really nice meeting you stacy , can i get your number and maybe we can meet up sometime for coffee ?"
"ok stacy, im gonna run now."

repeat her name often and you will remember it.

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
Evo-Psych said:
This usually starts some busting back and forth, sexual tension, playful kino, etc, and usually leads to them (or at least the target) to repeat her name enough times so that I can remember it.
You know whats coming next, start purposely MIXXING UP their names, that'll do it.

Evo-Psych

Don Juan
Reaction score
Docs said:
You know whats coming next, start purposely MIXXING UP their names, that'll do it.
You know it! ;)

It is funny because trying to remember names used to give me a ton of anxiety. Which sucks especially when you are just opening the set, but this way keeps it fun.

Sosa

Don Juan
Reaction score
Try making your own nickname for them, shorten it-etc. whatever is easier for you to remember but all in all its not a huge deal in the scheme of things-if you have reasonably good conversation skills, then admitting that you forgot their name can go quite smoothly. You just keep it light hearted and say something about your memory..I think you get the point by now.