Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Hotornot puzzlement...

BGMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,

A few days ago, I put a few photos of myself up on hotornot.com. The strange part is, when I check every day or so, I noticed this trend in my score.

First day:
4.3! You are hotter than 37% of men on the site! (22 people have rated you)

Second day: 5.2.

Third day:
5.7! You are hotter than 52% of men on the site! (44 people have rated you)

A few hours later...
6.8! You are hotter than 64% of men on the site! (64 people have rated you)

I was just wondering if anybody else who has used this service has noticed their grades starting really low and inflating. I don't know why people should be giving me 1, 2, and 3 the first day but 6, 7, and 8 now. Do you guys have any idea what's up? I mean, I also made darn sure not to tell anybody I knew about my photos so I would get totally unbiased opinions.

(Not that I'm complaining about it...) :D

BGMan :confused:

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Trolls

You probably got hit with troll responses early on. There are lots of trolls who post "0s".

Eventually the scoring algorithm adjusts for this, and essentially eliminates their scores.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The more votes you get, the more accurate the score is. And yeah you will get troll votes. When I posted my first pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mishob/nov_2004_03.jpg) all I got at first were 9s and 10s, had a 9.9 score until 100 votes, then it started going down, it's at 9.7 now. When I posted my 2nd pic ( http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mishob/mind_collage.jpg) I got a lower score at first, but later after 100 votes it went to 9.8.

Edit - also, there are women who will vote low for you if you give them a body shot, cause they think your narcisstic.

LuvMyArmyMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chico, CA during school, and Irivine off-school
Just one word of advice. dont do the double-match thing and try to hook up with some girl on there. My ex-roommate went on hot or not and posted a fake pic of her (she's really pasty and obese) and sure enough, she got tons of hits with her fake pics and those guys thought they were talking to a total hottie when in reality they were talking to a self-absorbed fat ugly chick.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just one word of advice. dont do the double-match thing and try to hook up with some girl on there. My ex-roommate went on hot or not and posted a fake pic of her (she's really pasty and obese) and sure enough, she got tons of hits with her fake pics and those guys thought they were talking to a total hottie when in reality they were talking to a self-absorbed fat ugly chick.
Lol, they it deserve for being lazy and looking for dates over the net.

Those websites are meant for feeding egos and winning bets, not hooking up.

ShizamDaMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I started out higher (~8-8.1) and then settled down into a 7.5 as I got more votes.

Who knows.

Thraxeh

Don Juan
Reaction score
only problem is that i dont think HB8/9/10's sit infront of there computer votting on hotornot.

BGMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, my score has settled back down to 5.8 (53rd percentile) with 80 votes. I'm getting a TON of 5's, also. So far, it looks like I'm smack dab in the middle when it comes to looks.

However, I should mention that the pics I do have aren't ones where I'm at my best. I guess I wanted more honest answers.

Originally posted by Bonhomme
You probably got hit with troll responses early on. There are lots of trolls who post "0s".

Eventually the scoring algorithm adjusts for this, and essentially eliminates their scores.
Sounds about right. Since others here have had high scores from the beginning, it looks like the trolls were out in force the evening I put my pics up. In the FAQ, the creators of hotornot claim that the algorithm is built to take into account the fact that many people only use the buttons from 1 to 5 for some reason. This would make sense since I'm getting lots of 5's, but fewer 4's than 3's ("3" on a 1-5 scale would be a "5" on a 1-10 scale).

Originally posted by Thraxeh
only problem is that i dont think HB8/9/10's sit infront of there computer votting on hotornot.
Whatever. I do think their taste in men is similar to that of other girls. I have gotten several 8 ratings.

BGMan

blue17

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I started off like 9.6 or so for the first few days....then slowly went down and ended at 8.3.

The ratings are bull imo, though. I see some chicks there....and I think "okay she's not bad....maybe a 7-8" then WAM i see her rating as a 9.8 or 9.9. I mean ya she was kinda hot....but not 10/10 hot. In general the ratings seem to be skewed....you rarely see anyone below 5, and a lot of people who are really 7-8's get ratings in the high 9's. The only thing hotornot.com will do is seperate you into good or bad looking. But if you want specific ratings to judge against society it's useless.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I have noticed this trend. When I posted my pic, I went from a 9.6 to a 9.7 to a 9.8 to a 9.9 and stayed there for AGES.

Although a friend of mine posted his and it started as a 9.8 for ages, and then dropped back to a 9.6.

Seems to start in one place either high or low, and then go in the other direction.

DJSmooth

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hotornot scores

As a test, I put the same picture on hotornot with two different usernames. One got 7.8 and the other got 5.1. This was with a few hundred votes each. So don't take the scores too seriously.

chalk

Don Juan
Reaction score
the scores are bullsh1t. I had a photo get 9.7 one time and then 7.somethign another time. with huge amounts of 1's 2.s and 3's . Im definatley NOT a 1 2 3 or 4, so my guess is people flush the site with low rattings to boost their own.

Reaction score
I know alot of people who have met others off those things, and I know alot of hot girls who meet guys off of it. Is it the DJ way? Probably not, but I think its more of a trend and change in technology than anything else. In the past, it was the socially inept who got dates off the internet. Now, its more accepted. Like I said, i know many, many hot girls from school and outside of school as well who use the internet as a supplement for their dating (notice i said SUPPLEMENT). But yes, if thats all you use, you probably are lacking in something.

rgeere

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hotornot is not an accurate way to judge your own looks ... I posted one picure and got a 5, and then posted a completely diffrent picture and got an 8. In both instances I got tons of 1,2,3,4,5s and I don't think any of those give me justice. It is total BS.