Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Home Gym!!!!

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am thinking to get a home gym, because i only get to go to the gym on like fridays, which is no wear near enough ( ...blame mom :D). Anyways, i figure if its at home i dont have to bug my mom to take me or get permission or whatever and i will have a lot more time.
Id like to know anything and everything u know about it lol.
I checked ou the equipment page on bb forums.. but im still pretty..lost ;p.
This stuff seems rather expensive so i want the best i can get for the money ( who doesnt.)
Ive been working out since like august or july of 2002 if that helps you any.
Also im 16( will be 17 april 6th ), i think 5'5 and pretty light.. (122 pounds or so i think..).
There are so many choices with a home gym... so.. please help me out here ;) thx.

Mr. Mystery

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would suggest an adjustable bench without the barbell holders.

You can find a bench that will lay flat, incline, and decline for around $150.

Then I suggest getting some dumbells that you can put plates on.

This setup will give you tons of flexiblity for your workouts.

Mr. Mystery

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
make sure u get drumbells.and make sure u dont get drumbells that u can easily do. id say get 25 pounds, see if u can do 5-6 curls with those.
the idea is it will get easier, so dont waste money on 10-15 pound weights.
i used to have 2 10pound weights. they were too light for me, so i put them togheter and id curl like that.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.exercise-equipment-review.com/home_gyms.html has reviews of some gyms... basically bowflex is wayyyyyyyyyy too expensive... weider ( i think thats the brand ) has stuff thats similar for like half the price.. notable the crossbow and the 16.6st or w/e... those are like 500 dollars and seem to be the best ones from that company.. also another one that is similar to those is the bandflex.. which is only 250 ( from the cheapest place they found) and is supposed to have the same amount of work stations as the crossbow

KiLLer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Oxide
make sure u get drumbells.and make sure u dont get drumbells that u can easily do. id say get 25 pounds, see if u can do 5-6 curls with those.
the idea is it will get easier, so dont waste money on 10-15 pound weights.
i used to have 2 10pound weights. they were too light for me, so i put them togheter and id curl like that.
Spelling correction-
drumbells- wrong
dumbbells- correct

KiLLer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lost
http://www.exercise-equipment-review.com/home_gyms.html has reviews of some gyms... basically bowflex is wayyyyyyyyyy too expensive... weider ( i think thats the brand ) has stuff thats similar for like half the price.. notable the crossbow and the 16.6st or w/e... those are like 500 dollars and seem to be the best ones from that company.. also another one that is similar to those is the bandflex.. which is only 250 ( from the cheapest place they found) and is supposed to have the same amount of work stations as the crossbow
You want size gain, those will not give you size gain, more of like strength or power gain.

Just get what other people above you said "dumbbells and barbell bench".

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1.Clean....?
2.Price... i dont want to pay 500 dollars for all the ****.. and isaw squat things tha are like 300 dollars alone... also benches were quit expensive.
What all do i need in bench, incline,flat, and decline? or just flat and inlince (my current workout routine i use a decline)

Mystery said i shouldnt get barbell holders.... so ur syaing i should use ONLY dumbbells? no barbell?

3.Know any good places to get them?

4.Can you get dumbbells wher u can put the flat weights on them? so youd only have to buy like 2 dumbbells and then just get whatever weights u want?

Apollo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Lost: For the weights and everything this will sound really cheap but check out up-coming yard sales. My buddy last year got a bench, bunch of different weights and a few bars for something like $20.

Also check out sports stores that sell used equipment, you'll find some stuff there for sure.

Mr. Mystery

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a friend that is nearly gotten all his certifications for personal training, and he is pretty big.

He knows what hes talking about. He doesn't use any barbells, only dumbells.

I have only been working out seriously for about three months but what I've learned from people here, personal experience and my personal training friend is that dumbells is the best way to go.

I have at my house a curl bar, and two dumbells that I can add plates to. I have 2X25lb plates, 4X10lb plates, 4X5lb plates, and 4X3lb plates. I don't have an adjustable bench yet, but when I have the money to I will.

I only go to the gym 3 times a week, Monday for chest, I do fly's and bench at different inclines with dumbells.

Tuesday for back, I do lots of stuff I don't know the name for, I don't use barbells for any of the excersises, except deadlifts.

Wensday, I do triceps at home with dumbells.

Thursday, I do biceps with dumbells and the curl bar.

Friday I do squats at the gym.

If I got my adjustable bench I would only have to go to the gym for squats.

I was looking for a good adjustable bench a while back and found the price range between $100 and $200.

Mr. Mystery

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Mr. Mystery

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know, I personally like to see the equipment in person before I buy something like a bench.

As far as the dumbell set, it seems alright, look around though you may find something cheaper at a store in your area or online.

Also, if you are gonna by plates for your dumbells, make sure you know the measurements of the plates holes. Some plates are made for dumbells and some are made for barbells.

Mr. Mystery

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
does sports authority match prices from the internet...? ( from other places.. like if i got it from ....(this is made up site) weights.com ..... if i got a price from ther.. could i go to the local sports authority and get them to match it?

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the correction, im foreign so when i hear "dumbell" i thought it was a drumbell? any simularities? i didint think so either ;)

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i went to sears bt they didnt have the adjustable dumbbells like the ones i posted.. they had ones were u put like screw things on the sides.... and u had to buy the entire ****in set.. they had 3 benches,, 50, 100, and 120 dollars. flat/inlince, flat/inclinde/decline. and the most expensive had a thing for preacher curl. i guess ill have to shop somewhere else...

oreo_renegade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive got one of those "total gym" things, its was like 250+dollars though...

And its great for building lean muscle taht helps with metabolism.

If you want big bulky muscle then get HEAVY bar/dumbells which ever you preffer (i dont really see a difference, I would like the barbells better because you can add/subtract weight, and witht he dumbell you are pretty much stuck.)

You take this HEAVY ass dumb/barbell/rock lol and you lift it up, and then you SLOWLY let it back down. You are ripping more muslce fibers letting it come back down, so you are getting a better workout.

You should do about 3-4 reps. of these HEAVY weights, if you want to gain the most mass.

And eat protien like you life depended on it!

:)

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cool, my school is selling weights at 25 cents per pound.

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would get this:

- 1 Power Rack
- 1 Barbell
- 1 Adjustable Bench
- Olympic lifting plates(the rubber ones)

Dumbells are a waste of money because you will change the weight you want too often.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you can get adjustable dumbbells! >:/ ud just buy 2 adjustable dumbbells and u can puit whatever wait u want on them.. so u never have to buy more dumbbells again.. just weights.. which if u pick them correctly should go on both the barbell and db.. ( i think)