Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Help what dream to follow? (Astrophysics,Aerospace,Astronaut or Navy)

SpoonJedi

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm almost 17, ending my 11th year (of 12) and in one year I'll have to decide what to do with my life. But I'm interested on so many things that I can't decide properly.

I have a few dreams (separate ones):
-I love the sea, so I kinda would like to follow my grandfathers job and join the navy, but the thing is, I either would become a SEAL (similar type but in my country), an official (just to get to win money probably), a doctor (this kinda bores me because I saw what my brother had to study and I would probably die of boredom) or a engineer (the thing is, the engineering courses aren't that awesome in navy). The good part of joining the navy would be that I would get money while studying, everything payed and would have 8 years of work in the navy at least after I finished the course.

-I'm a complete fan of Carl Sagan, and I kinda wanted to become and astrophysicist (by getting to applied physics), maybe do some kind of scientific divulgation, try to change the world in the best way I can, be the face of science somehow. I really feel the need for someone like that to spread science in a world where science is feared or not treated with the attention it deserves.

-I'd like to become a entrepeneur, maybe get an engineering degree (aerospace engineering or applied physics) and then start my own business and make as much money as I can and change the world as much as I can. I really wanna make an impact, my other great figure is Elon Musk, I simply love and hate that guy (because he kinda made my dream harder xd). With applied physics I can also work with CERN or other companies, and with aerospace, I can work with ESA or NASA if Im good enough.

-My ultimate dream would be to be an astronaut, the hard thing is I use glasses (not much, but I do have miopy) so its kinda harder for me.

So do you have any tips for me ? How can one simply choose what dream to follow ?

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You seem all over the place but you're 17 and you should be. The best and smartest of us have active and scattered minds without the categorical specialties that age, laziness, and economic concerns give us.

Luckily your interests can be merged. A degree in aerospace engineering (with high grades), Aviation OCS in the Navy (with high grades and lots of flight hours), apply for NASA.

Your knowledge at that point could easily lead to a teaching or consulting job to spread scientific knowledge or the kind of inside information to find a niche for your own company.

As for Special Forces...what sport are you among the best in your city at? If you can't answer that question I don't think you should try the Special Forces.

SpoonJedi

Don Juan
Reaction score
I just always loved the idea of joining the navy because of the sense of patriotism I guess. But I think it's just a last resource right now.

I will have exams next week.. deciding my life, yet I'm facing procrastination problems... gotta work my way through them I guess.

I'm more inclined to Aerospace Engineering right now, I'm really interested on attempting to go to ESA or NASA, so I guess that's my goal.. although I still am pretty confused. I'm afraid I'm not smart enough, always that :/

I also would love to get some ideas to start a business, and in that department, I think Mechanical Engineering or Applied Physics would suit me better, they study many topics (although I really don't wanna go to mechanical, I'm afraid it doesn't give me enough job market)... but I guess in Aerospace Engineering I can study nice subjects aswell and perhaps get some idea. Yet, I'd like to work the inventing skill.. like work my creativity, not sure how ..

Thanks for the answer guys !

Amilz

Don Juan
Reaction score
SpoonJedi said:
Hi everyone
I'm almost 17, ending my 11th year (of 12) and in one year I'll have to decide what to do with my life. But I'm interested on so many things that I can't decide properly.

I have a few dreams (separate ones):
-I love the sea, so I kinda would like to follow my grandfathers job and join the navy, but the thing is, I either would become a SEAL (similar type but in my country), an official (just to get to win money probably), a doctor (this kinda bores me because I saw what my brother had to study and I would probably die of boredom) or a engineer (the thing is, the engineering courses aren't that awesome in navy). The good part of joining the navy would be that I would get money while studying, everything payed and would have 8 years of work in the navy at least after I finished the course.

-I'm a complete fan of Carl Sagan, and I kinda wanted to become and astrophysicist (by getting to applied physics), maybe do some kind of scientific divulgation, try to change the world in the best way I can, be the face of science somehow. I really feel the need for someone like that to spread science in a world where science is feared or not treated with the attention it deserves.

Neil Tyson is doing that very well right now and I don't that is why he went into the field. In my opinion to go into space sciences that deep is to explore not be responsible in motivating others to explore. That's like spending 20 years as a boxer just because your end goal is to be a ringside analyst instead of a future hall of famer with multiple belts.

I'd like to become a entrepeneur, maybe get an engineering degree (aerospace engineering or applied physics) and then start my own business and make as much money as I can and change the world as much as I can. I really wanna make an impact, my other great figure is Elon Musk, I simply love and hate that guy (because he kinda made my dream harder xd). With applied physics I can also work with CERN or other companies, and with aerospace, I can work with ESA or NASA if Im good enough.

This is kind of vague. What do you have a passion for selling?

My ultimate dream would be to be an astronaut, the hard thing is I use glasses (not much, but I do have miopy) so its kinda harder for me.

Is it really? Then you have your answer. It's not about how hard it is, it's about if you are willing to make it happen.

So do you have any tips for me ? How can one simply choose what dream to follow ?
Check the bold print for my suggestions. You remind me of myself. One of the most difficult things to do when you have the ability to do many things is to choose one path and trust in it because that is what you have to be prepared to do. If you have a sharp mind, idleness and other lack of stimuli can be self destructive so I wouldn't suggest the military. I don't believe in selling my freedom just to get what I want many years down the road and 4-8 years of doing something you aren't inspired to do just to something down the road is just stalling the process. I'm 34 and didn't choose a path. I just went with the flow and I regret it weekly if not daily. If you want to be an astronaut then begin that path now because that's about as an elite of an occupation that one can do. Good luck!