Help me get back to my old strength/shape.

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I come here on and off now, rarely lately. But i used to come here just to read and see how everyone was doing. I found it motivating to have other people working out.

I used to be 9% bf, 165lbs, and could bench and squat way more than now. Since then I picked up mtn biking as a hobby, and changed my diet to include much more vegetables than meat ( i eat fish, but no red meat). I use protein shakes but not regularly. Basically im writing this to kick start myself as well as get some suggestions on what would be best to get back into lifting.

Now I am 10% 155lbs. I still look lean, I just miss having the strength and muscled look.

I am in nursing school and can work out very early in the morning otherwise im busy the rest of the day. I have 1 hour to lift in the morning (go to gym before class). I was considering doing Ripptoes or the strong lifts 5x5 to get back into it.

What would you guys recommend? I used to drink muscle milk in highschool and it helped out a lot (i worked out like crazy back then). Now I drink regular whey protein.

Suggestions on routines? I have 1 hour free to lift everyday in the morning. (thats including driving time and showering).

Last edited:

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats your specific goal?

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Return to 165-170, and maintain biking.

Btw, EFFORT, you've been here a while and a regular. Ever get tired of this place? haha.

My issue is consistency.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zaraza said:
Return to 165-170, and maintain biking.

Btw, EFFORT, you've been here a while and a regular. Ever get tired of this place? haha.

My issue is consistency.
Post up your current diet. How often do you bike?

I don't get tired of the fitness forum I enjoy helping people reach there goals, but the other forums do get a bit old.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd recommend the 5x5 or 5/3/1.

Both can be done on a time constraint and will produce steady, quality muscle gains.

Whey is fine but it's better to go with a whey/casein blend. Take 3x daily.

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
I'd recommend the 5x5 or 5/3/1.

Both can be done on a time constraint and will produce steady, quality muscle gains.

Whey is fine but it's better to go with a whey/casein blend. Take 3x daily.

Got any suggestions on where to buy cheap but good casein/whey blend? I was using EAS but they are no longer at costco. Ill stop by vitamin world to check if they got it.

what is this 5/3/1 workout that you mentioned?

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
Post up your current diet. How often do you bike?

I don't get tired of the fitness forum I enjoy helping people reach there goals, but the other forums do get a bit old.

I bike right now 3 times a week. Its summer. Found a trail at a lake thats 14 miles long, its challenging. And then bike for roughly 2 hours in the city down a not so challenging trail.

My diet is hard to post up. Ill post what i had yesterday.

Morning 9am: Oatmeal w/ blue berries.

11am: Salad (tomatoes, cumcumbers, parsley, blueberries, a few walnuts, and apples)

12pm: Whey protein shake w/ rice milk and an apple on the way to gym.

1pm-2:15ish pm = I did the strong lifts 5x5.

came back home ate a large tuna sandwich, with a garden burger patty on the side (was weird but good tasting combo).

fruit for snack after that (banana and apricots)

around 6-7: ate 2 chicken breasts prepared on a skillet, w/ salads (several different kinds). followed by a small portion of sherbert icecream.

came home round 12. Went to sleep.

I think my protein amounts in diet are slightly low. Recommended .8g per lb right? so if im 155 now i need 124g.

The protein shake has 27g of whey protein in 1 scoop.

I rarely eat processed foods. Rarely go out to eat at junk fast food places.

I think i should be able to make gains as long as I stick to lifting.

My mornings consist of some type of grain whether its oatmeal, or buckwheat, or a 12grain mix.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Look for the simple starting diet in the vault here and combine that with 5/3/1. This would probably get you there. If you want more detailed help shoot me a pm.