Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Has anyone here done or doing P 90 X?

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I started this a month ago and was wondering if anyone here as ever done the program or are you doing it now? Would be interesting to share experiences. If you have the time and dedication to do it, I would highly rec it. Like I said, I bought the program of cds and manuals ($150) and started the program exactly 4 weeks ago. I have always lifted weights, and when I started I was around 212 pounds on my 6 feet tall frame. I wanted to get more lean, ripped, and have better cardio endurance. So I started it. This is NOT easy. I have had one day off in 4 weeks. Every day you do a CD of different things. One day pull ups/weights/chin ups. Next day. pure cardio. Next day yoga (you would be amazed how much you sweat doing their yoga), next day core work etc etc...add in 2-3 days a week of ab work with all that. And this is not stuff where you do an exercise and take a break. This is hard core marine training type stuff. You will sweat and work your ass off. And it makes you eat really well too. Comes with a full diet program. I just finished my Phase 1, then a week of core, yoga, and kenpo, and am now about to start phase 2 tomorrow for a month, which judging from the results photographs I have seen is where your biggest gains happen.

So far I have lost 7 pounds, have put on more muscle, but am SO much leaner. It really does work. Warning though, the first week you do this, you will feel like a truck ran over you or you have the flu or something. Like I said, its brutal.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I started P90X right around this time last year. I absolutely loved the workouts (hated the lack of flexibility with the program, though). I got through 5 weeks, and then I moved into a new place. I had nowhere to do the workouts at my new place. I found myself driving to my parents house 30 minutes away just to do the workout. Got sick of that and gave it up.

I'm in another new place now that has plenty of space for it, but I decided to join a gym instead. I still do random P90X workouts on days I either can't get to the gym, or just wanna add some yoga/cardio/stretching to whatever I've done.

A friend of mine just finished the full program. He was skinny as hell to start, but he definitely gained some muscle from the program.

I don't think the program itself is better than anything else, though. The whole point of it, is it does a pretty good job of keeping you motivated, if that is an issue you suffer with. Any other program, done for 90 days straight is going to give you the same or better results.

garruk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
my roommate completed it last year. he got decently shredded from it.

Theminatar

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm currently doing it, and it's tough. But as PDubb said, it's the same as any other program. I'm doing it cause it's a new thing to try and it works with muscle confusion which is essential.

search1ng

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Going to get flamed for this but muscle confusion is BS. Your muscles aren't smart. It's simple really, time under tension + required weight = more muscles. Major reason why p90x works is because it forces the issue of a good diet and introduces the weight + time under tension concept.

Anyway... why does getting big and ripped have to be so hard *sigh*. (Mean this in all seriousness)

Who was sosuave's steroid infobank again? Can't remember his ID.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I disagree that "muscle confusion" is BS. But, I do agree that the way they try to describe "muscle confusion" is BS. Really what they are doing is simply adding in additional movements that may target different portions of your muscles.

I can't remember specific movements between Phase 1 and Phase 2, so I'll just give a random example of what I mean. Let's say Phase 1's tricep exercise consists of mostly movements that target the long head muscle of the tricep, such as overhead DB extensions. Phase 2 might incorporate the medial and lateral head of the muscle, with exercises like tricep kickbacks or pulley pushdowns. Again, I'm not saying this is the routine P90X does, just the idea of what they mean by "muscle confusion".

What they are getting at is no different than doing incline bench press in place of/in addition to flat bench press. It just hits the muscle differently and helps develop it more efficiently.

search1ng said:
Who was sosuave's steroid infobank again? Can't remember his ID.
Do you mean Fuglydude?

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Started phase II of the classic program yesterday. Did ab x and chest, shoulders, and tri's CD. Did them well, and even added in 5 extra sets of some of the exercises. Don't get me wrong as I said, I have always lifted weights and played pretty much every sport, but as I am getting older, I noticed it is harder to stay leaner. This program is FOR SURE confusing my muscles, which they needed, and I have lost 7 pounds so far from around 213 to 206. Want to get to 195-200 by the programs end. I am eating way better too. No junk, all veggies, fruits, and protein. with some carbs and protein shakes mixed in. I would say this program, because of its intensity and the fact you do it pretty much every day, MAKES you eat well. If you eat junk, there is just no way you can do it day after day the way you need to to see results.

NorwegianDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Confusing your muscles is just a myth, one which I doubt is true. If in doubt of a fact, always try finding evidence.

PDubb75 said:
I disagree that "muscle confusion" is BS. But, I do agree that the way they try to describe "muscle confusion" is BS. Really what they are doing is simply adding in additional movements that may target different portions of your muscles.
This however, I agreed with. Doing different excercises, targetting different parts of a muscle.

P90X seems like a really tough and hard program to me, keep at it!

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"confusing muscles" does have merit but it's hardly a daily thing. And no they don't mean literally confusing the muscle. You eventually stop adapting to most all exercises for a while, but it's hardly at a workout-to-workout basis or whatever P90x actually says. Somewhere in Poliquin's articles he mentions that lifts should be swapped about every 6 workouts, which is usually in the range of 5-8 weeks.

I've made the mistake of using the same lifts for too long and staying stalled out. I decide to swap exercises and suddenly i'm making newbie-like gains again getting rapidly stronger on the new exercises. This is after months of the same thing though. Who wants to piddle around adding a pound a week to kroc rows, occasionally slipping backwards, when you can add 5 lbs a week for 2 months to cable rows or t-bar rows?

seek&destroy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have done it. Went from 216lbs to 169lbs. following nothing but the exercise plans. I still ate as I always have (see...I can't diet for sh!t...I eat a lot of ethnic food, and I don't want to cut down on a part of my heritage, so fvck following their meal plan!). Right now, I weigh 163lbs. My lowest was at 156 a couple of months ago. But as of right now, I am planning to gain muscle. I started hitting the waight pretty hard again, and I combined that with a pre and post-workout supplement. I am going back on multi-vitamins as of tomorrow too.

P90X is not for you if you're going to give up halfway through the workouts, or if you're going to do it for a week and then quit. You have to follow through with the excercises daily if you want to see quick results! In my first week, I lost about 8lbs, which was fvcking incredible! I did not believe it when I weighed myself at the end of week one, and it just kept going down from there. No pain, no gain, motherfvcker!

So bring it, and don't forget to stay hydrated during and after the workout.

YoungQuas

Reaction score
P90X is a good program. I have had some decent results. Remember you can always modify the program. All you have to do is work hard! Muscle confusion has been around for a while, they're just selling it to us as something "special". That's not a bad thing because it works and it sells haha

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OK well week 6 is about done, so about halfway through, and I am really starting to notice some differences in my body. Am down to 203. Started at 212. Have not missed a day or training, and have been eating really well. Love the omelets I make. Turkey bacon, egg whites, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, arugula, cheese. :) Yesterday in fact I did ab x, then legs and back, and then Yoga X at night with my gf. Today is Kenpo X. Here is a pic of me from the other day. Goal is 195 and about 10% bf.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/matt9f.jpg/

neghitzbrah

Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice work. I've been doing P90x workouts for a year along with Insanity workouts. Since then, I have lost 50 lbs and 20% body fat. In the past month I've been up and down with my diets but have stayed consistent with my workouts.

In one complete round of P90x, I lost almost 10% bodyfat. I lost about 25 lbs but gained a significant amount of muscle mass.

But if there is advice I need to tell you: NUTRITION IS KEY = 90% OF THE RESULTS -- Exercise keeps you in check but in reality accounts for 10%. However, exercise is necessary for results. You can't have one without the other.

I will be starting a round of Insanity soon and will keep a journal of it on this forum. Keep at that journal and log your meals. It helps. After this round I will do a round of Insanity: Asylum.

Keep at it, bro. If you have any questions, ask away.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cordoncordon said:
OK well week 6 is about done, so about halfway through, and I am really starting to notice some differences in my body. Am down to 203. Started at 212. Have not missed a day or training, and have been eating really well. Love the omelets I make. Turkey bacon, egg whites, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, arugula, cheese. :) Yesterday in fact I did ab x, then legs and back, and then Yoga X at night with my gf. Today is Kenpo X. Here is a pic of me from the other day. Goal is 195 and about 10% bf.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/matt9f.jpg/
Good stuff mang... Can you post a bit more on your diet? My fiance just finished her last comp of the year and will be doing a lean bulk for her comps next year. We were talking about using interval cardio like P90X or CrossFit to keep her lean and conditioned during the bulk. However, we're not sure how to tailor her diet to tolerate this. We're gonna talk to our trainers but their super busy lately.

Thanks in advance.

neghitzbrah

Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Good stuff mang... Can you post a bit more on your diet? My fiance just finished her last comp of the year and will be doing a lean bulk for her comps next year. We were talking about using interval cardio like P90X or CrossFit to keep her lean and conditioned during the bulk. However, we're not sure how to tailor her diet to tolerate this. We're gonna talk to our trainers but their super busy lately.

Thanks in advance.
Hey dude. P90x are great lifting workouts. If you prefer cardio routines that revolve around interval training, Insanity is your best choice. It is made by the same company but focuses more on Cardio Sessions and less on Weight Lifting. Overall it is a great way to stay lean, but not that great of a tool for Body Building. If you already are packed on with muscle mass but want to decrease body fat, a round or 2 of Insanity won't hurt. As long as you keep your protein in check (1g per lb) you should be good.

Good luck!

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
In between my steady diet of squats, deadlifts, and bench presses; I go to the P90x Kenpo and Yoga dvd's.

Those are harder than squats. Sweat like a fvcker.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
neghitzbrah said:
Hey dude. P90x are great lifting workouts. If you prefer cardio routines that revolve around interval training, Insanity is your best choice. It is made by the same company but focuses more on Cardio Sessions and less on Weight Lifting. Overall it is a great way to stay lean, but not that great of a tool for Body Building. If you already are packed on with muscle mass but want to decrease body fat, a round or 2 of Insanity won't hurt. As long as you keep your protein in check (1g per lb) you should be good.

Good luck!
Personally I don't do ANY direct cardio. I have reasonably good genetics in the CV department, my resting heart rate is in the high 60s despite being 30-35 lbs "overweight". I'm trying to pack on another 20-25 lbs and get to 205-210 at 5'8" in the next few months and stay under 13-14% bf before doing my contest prep next year. I have a fast metabolism and generally dont' have too many issues staying relatively lean without cardio as long as my diet is clean. With my goals, 1g/lb just doesn't cut it... I try and aim for 1.3-1.5 g/lb per day.

My fiance is a figure girl and is around 132 on stage at 5'9". Alberta is a very competitive province for figure, and she'll need to add substantial muscle mass to be competitive next year. She's doing 30 minutes of AM cardio to keep her body comp optimal, but I think she should scrap that in favor of stuff like P90X/insanity maybe 2x/week as I think interval cardio combined with weights and a good diet is the best recipe for adding muscle, while staying conditioned w/ a good body comp.

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fugly the P90 X workout Cd's come with a full diet program, including recipes and if you want, a step by step program on what to eat for the entire day. Has that for the classic program, which I am doing, the doubles, and the lean program.

If you want a shakeup from the normal stuff you have been doing for the past how many years, something to shake you out of your doldrums, this is for you. I won't lie, its not easy. Everyday for at least an hour a day (though you can take Sunday off) and some of the days are just brutal. Believe it or not, their yoga X CD, which you do a ton of, makes you work and sweat like a mutha. People laugh when they hear I do some yoga with this, that is until they see the CD and they cant last 20 minutes.

I would do it for sure.

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok well just finished phase two, or week 7. Weight is down to around 202.5, so thus far I have lost around 10 pounds and I am MUCH leaner, and my strength and conditioning is much improved. I am doing around 15 chin ups and pull ups unassisted each time, and then do 5 to 10 more on top of those with help from a chair. I do the wide front, the closed grip, the regular, the switch grip, and about 4 other types of pullups. Do about 180 per session. The types of pushups you do too is insane. All kinds of them. This week I do a recovery week focusing on core work and yoga. Looking forward to it, though the core CD is mega hard.

Matthew Lyon

Don Juan
Reaction score
We used P90X in the Army for 3 months as a phase for my unit. It's good for gaining strength and getting more ripped, but don't use it if you're looking to gain weight as an ectomorph.