Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Has anyone ever done a Smolov squat cycle?

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So the basic premise is that you squat 3-4 days a week, increase in number of sets, decrease in number of reps, and increase in weight as the week progresses. That's pretty much it in the nutshell?

I can see how it works. You are increasing the frequency and volume of the lift. That's pretty much the key to gaining strength. I reckon this kind of routine would work for any compound exercise such as deadlift, rows, bench?

How do you keep yourself from being fatigued? Is it the fact that you've been doing high volume training for awhile? And don't tell me you just "sleep" it off. Haha, that'd be such a cliched answer. Anyway, keep up the nice work.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Bat said:
So the basic premise is that you squat 3-4 days a week, increase in number of sets, decrease in number of reps, and increase in weight as the week progresses. That's pretty much it in the nutshell?
Yup, that's it.

I can see how it works. You are increasing the frequency and volume of the lift. That's pretty much the key to gaining strength. I reckon this kind of routine would work for any compound exercise such as deadlift, rows, bench?
Yeah, for those lifts I'd use the Smolov Jr. instead though. The Smolov Jr. uses similar principles but it's only 3 weeks long.

How do you keep yourself from being fatigued? Is it the fact that you've been doing high volume training for awhile? And don't tell me you just "sleep" it off. Haha, that'd be such a cliched answer. Anyway, keep up the nice work.
I had been doing Rippetoe for a while so I was already used to squatting 3x a week. Also, Smolov includes an introductory 2 week phase that is supposed to get you ready for a high volume of squatting. The only place that I really got fatigued is my lower back.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BTW, I don't think my legs got any bigger at all. They might have, but it's not noticeable. That's just the way I like it though. When I grab onto someone or shoot on them for a takedown, I want them to **** themselves :D

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Definitely do it, it's a good program. I'm thinking about doing the Smolov Jr for either front squats or deadlifts once I'm done with this cycle.
I did smolov for front squats btw (not junior). You can do it too. Not a good idea for deadlifts, better would be smolov junior or ed coan routine.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks, good info.

How many reps should I do with the negatives? I know you're supposed to do them twice a week but the write-up doesn't tell you how many to do.

I think I'm gonna do 12 x 2 push pin squats with 60% 1RM (would do box squats but can't find a box low enough), 5 x 3 power cleans, and squat jumps with light weight, maybe like 95 lbs. I'm also going to be doing lots of burpees for my conditioning workouts. Does that sound OK?

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd go for 1 heavy negative, that's it. Try the excel sheet in the post, it got weights prefilled etc.

Use a bunch of plates as a box, or stones, whatever you have lying around. Else, I'd go for more power cleans, or pliometrics like depth jumps. I'd wait with burpees until after smolov. Intense mesocycle is a lot harder.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you saying you wouldn't do the push pin squats? I did them this morning and they seemed OK. I did 12 x 2 @ 60% 1RM with 45 seconds of rest between sets, and I focused on max speed during the lifts. I like the idea of using plates as a box, I may try that. My problem is that when I squat my ass is 4" above the floor. I don't want to switch to a higher squat because I think I will lose strength at the low part of the squat.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Are you saying you wouldn't do the push pin squats? I did them this morning and they seemed OK. I did 12 x 2 @ 60% 1RM with 45 seconds of rest between sets, and I focused on max speed during the lifts. I like the idea of using plates as a box, I may try that. My problem is that when I squat my ass is 4" above the floor. I don't want to switch to a higher squat because I think I will lose strength at the low part of the squat.
Bottom pin squats, sure you do them if you can't do box squats.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
2 week switching cycle: I did squats from the bottom position at 60%, dumbbell snatches, squat jumps with 95 lbs, power cleans, burpees, and squat negatives @ 370 lbs.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Intense phase week 1:

Monday:

3 x 230
4 x 265
3 x 4 x 300
5 x 300

This was a tough workout.

Wednesday:

3 x 210
3 x 245
4 x 280
3 x 3 x 315 (failed last rep of last set)
2 x 5 x 300 (failed 2nd to last rep of last set)

This was an extremely hard workout. Wednesdays are the hardest days in the intense phase. If I fail a rep, I put the bar back up in the rack and redo those reps. I was kind of sad that I failed those reps but I think I need to get back into the groove of squatting so much after the switching phase. Monday and Wednesday made my legs very sore. I'm writing this on Friday afternoon and they're still sore.

Friday:

4 x 230
4 x 245
5 x 4 x 280

Pretty easy workout. Felt like nothing after Wednesday.

Weighed in at 187 lbs this morning.

Stronglifts you were right. The intense phase is definitely harder than the base phase.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Intense Phase Week 2:

Monday:

4 x 210
4 x 245
4 x 280
3 x 315
2 x 4 x 315

Wednesday:

3 x 230
3 x 265
4 x 300
3 x 3 x 315
3 x 335

Tough workout.

Saturday:

3 x 230
3 x 265
4 x 300
4 x 5 x 315

This workout was very, very hard. Especially the last 2 reps of the last 2 sets.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Intense phase week 3:

Monday:

3 x 210
3 x 245
3 x 280
5 x 5 x 315

This was the hardest squat session ever. The 5 x 5 @ 90% 1RM is BRUTAL. I failed once on the 4th set.

Wednesday:

3 x 210
3 x 245
3 x 280
2 x 3 x 335

This felt like nothing after what I did on Monday.

Saturday:

3 x 230
3 x 265
3 x 300
4 x 3 x 335

This one was tough. Not as hard as Monday but pretty difficult, and I underestimated it because Wednesday was so easy.

I only have one more week to go...

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can probably hit 400 after 5-6 days full rest, at this point.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks. 405 lbs is my goal.

I'll post a pic of my legs when I'm done. They seem to have exploded in the last few weeks. People keep commenting on how huge my legs are, lol.

panosha

Don Juan
Reaction score
Quick questions

Can overtraining happen when you are doing this?

How much protein should be used for recovery?

Can this work with other muscles in the body?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're worried about "overtraining" definitely don't try this program.

This type of thing isn't really for bodybuilding, if you're only interested in aesthetics I wouldn't bother with it, stick with the plan in the "where to start" thread.

panosha

Don Juan
Reaction score
So I weigh 180 pounds but I can't squat 270lbs but Im going to try this after Spring break

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow...talk about a jump Kerpal. So how much gains have you seen in how much time since starting this? I've jumped about 65 lbs in squats (probably more at this point) off of efforts plan. Applying this to deadlifts, would probably kill me. No pun intended haha And have you done any other big lifts with this, or is it all squats?