Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Harry Potter and the Cheated Readers

legolas

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Giovanni Casanova
There is nothing wrong with Harry Potter books, and there is nothing wrong with reading books as a source of entertainment, even mindless entertainment. Not every book that is ever written or read has to be some timeless literary classic.

All that being said, it must have take an awful long time to type all of that with only one hand.
And that is what they want you tho think!!! That is exactly what Pook is pointing out. Look, if you read any book in marketing, the first line in it would be "We live in an overcommunicated world" And it is true, so then the book argues, we should simplify marketing so the "average" consumer can understand it.

Well this is a recipe for disaster. First we have the whle idea of "average" which mostly means stupid. Then we have the neverending loop of over-simplification, whcih churns out even more "average" consumers. Reading books like this for "mindless" entertainment leads exactly to the over-simplification of society and stupider, minldess people. You may not see the danger yet, but 10, 20 years down the line of reading for mindless entertainment you will see the results for sure. When you start quoting news from the TV word for word, then you see where that mindlessness leads to.

Gonzalo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by penkitten
shakesphere had messed up plays like romeo and juliet, where teens think its acceptable to kill themselves when they cant get their way by their parents !

and thats high school required reading!

wtf is this classic doing to the kids?
And that Don Quixote! teaching them kids to be errant knights fighting windmills...

*rolleyes*

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by legolas
And that is what they want you tho think!!! That is exactly what Pook is pointing out. Look, if you read any book in marketing, the first line in it would be "We live in an overcommunicated world" And it is true, so then the book argues, we should simplify marketing so the "average" consumer can understand it.

Well this is a recipe for disaster. First we have the whle idea of "average" which mostly means stupid. Then we have the neverending loop of over-simplification, whcih churns out even more "average" consumers. Reading books like this for "mindless" entertainment leads exactly to the over-simplification of society and stupider, minldess people. You may not see the danger yet, but 10, 20 years down the line of reading for mindless entertainment you will see the results for sure. When you start quoting news from the TV word for word, then you see where that mindlessness leads to.
Well I damn sure hope that you spend your days laboring over advanced calculus texts, performing quantum physics experiments, deeply studying old philosophy texts, et cetera.

In other words, I hope you don't do ANYTHING for the purpose of simple entertainment, and that you are ALWAYS engaged in hard, meaningful work that pushes your mental capacity to the limits ALL THE TIME.

Because otherwise, you're just giving in to the vast conspiracy of marketing, turning you into a drone, man... sucking out your soul, dude... {takes a toke of weed}... the Man wants to CONTROL YOUR MIND, man...

Luveno

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pook

Someone mentioned here that music is very much agenda/pushed out. Well, he's right if you look at the 'Sony' part of this article. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163537,00.html

Yes, I mentioned that, and it is true. Money is king in the world. Advertising is the biggest industry there is, yet it produces NOTHING - quite the paradox, don't you think?

Since most people are tethered to their meaningless jobs and marriages, they don't have time to think or be critical of what they consume or do. They'll buy whatever the TV tells them everyone else is buying, or fawn over whatever celebrity TV tells them that everyone else fawns over. Instead of having the life that they want, most people just live humdrum, forgotten lives, experiencing excitement only by living vicariously through the celebrity they feel they best relate to. They whack off to thoughts and pictures of Angelina Jolie, rather than dropping their cow of a wife and getting an attractive girl(s) with a sex drive. And they feel proud of themselves because of their religion, or the neighborhood they live in, or what music they listen to, or the country they're from, rather than feeling proud of their true accomplishments(of which they have none)

I don't pity them though. People are lazy and comfortable in this machine the money giants created. Having a middle class salary is just a slow, controlled death. Being married in this era is like confessing to a crime you didn't commit. People are fools. They don't realize they're making a few people VERY RICH by being slothenly, of both mind and body.

For those of you playing video games and not watching TV, marketers are very angry at you and are trying to get at you.

http://online.wsj.com/public/articl...KkAgR_5JCbWBwSi_7c_20060725,00.html?mod=blogs
When I was a child, I played a lot of video games. I didn't watch much TV.I actually wanted to be a game designer for a long time.

However, I'm glad I changed my mind.

As with EVERYTHING that becomes popular, the buzzards up in the advertising companies want to jump right into it and commercialize it to the point of overkill. The article says games will be made with ads running within them, but you can avoid at anytime.

I know for a fact that its gonna get much worse. It won't be too long before we see advertisements designed as video games, but to plague-like proportions.(it was done in the past with games like Cool Spot, but with the power of the new systems I can only shudder at the new possiblilities)

On marriage:

Why can't there be a union, a celebrated union, of two lovers WITHOUT the financial crap that current marriage burdens men with? Isn't marriage about love? ...don't answer that.

thecraftylefty

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I just love how people on here think that because someone says that Harry Potter is trash everyone tries to defend the author's honor and the content of a modestly average piece of fiction. If you read it and enjoy the plot, great. But don't gripe because Pook's opinion, a very informed one I might add, is contrary to yours.

And heaven forbid ever once taking a break from studying and intense literature research. Going out and shooting pool and having a couple drinks with some buddies, watching a movie once in a while, visiting family members, there's no time in my life for that. I'm too busy with Schrodinger in the morning (I like to start my day off light) and end with some of the earlier classics like The Republic, Thus Spoke Zarathustra, and Clifford the Big Red Dog.

Because a man advocates something doesn't mean he is doing it every single second of the day. Everyone has their form of entertainment and let's their hair down once in a while. Mine is burying kittens with their heads just above the ground and then cutting grass.

Lighten up guys.

thecraftylefty

George Gordon

Banned
Reaction score
When women shop for husbands, they are very much shopping for assets.
If women are feminine mirrors of men, are they not doing the same thing as us? But if men rule the financial world, and women rule the relationship world, wouldn't the asset merely be on a different plane?

Look, if marriage and a family is an investment, don't we want a woman with amazing communication and relationship skills to ensure our families are bright and healthy? This also means she must have good childbearing traits. After all, most of us want women with great assets. Isn't that an asset? And is that really any different, if you were to translate from masculinity to femininity, women wanting guys who are financially well off -- or appearing well off, anyway.

Curious.

If you were a musician but simply waiting tables to make ends meet while you pursued your passion, in Woman's World you are a LOSER.
However, from my experiences, I would have to disagree here. A good friend of mine has been a poor muscian for years. He has a really cute girlfriend who knows how to work parties incredibly well. All the guys that come to his shows fall for her.

Oddly enough she has few girlfriends. Most women seem to dislike her. Not a big deal. She has a harem of ass-kissers she can call whenever she wants.

My friend is a Nice Guy. Over the past two years, his band signed a contract with Warner, have gotten a lot of airplay and acclaim, are constantly touring, were nominated for a Juno, etc. If you're in Canada, you know who I'm talking about. I think there tours start in the USA and overseas soon.

Did I mention they've been going out for years? She was with him when he was playing to audiences of 20 people. Now he plays in front of thousands.

Did I also mention that she used to work at a sex shop and my guess would be that she got hit on a lot!

Do you think she thought he was a loser then? Have an intuition that he would make a career for himself one day? Or what would you say is going on here?

Can't a guy protect his livelihood through a corporation? Let's say he owns an incorporated business that owns all his real estate and other investments. By marrying a woman, doesn't he still totally own the corporation, or do half of his shares automatically go to his wife in the case of divorce?

!GEORGE GORDON!

SamePendo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Edit

Last edited:

R3N3G4D3

Don Juan
Reaction score
Before I talk about this thread, I think I should start with some background. Before forming your opinion about my post, please read the whole thing as it starts out very differently from how it's intended to end.

Pook, usually I find your posts praised by other members even when they don't deserve to be. It's not that they lack the quality, they all seem to have a lot fo thought put into them. However, a lot of the time you do tend to overanalyze things you really shouldn't. Let me rephrase that, you should analyze these things but oftentimes this forum is not the best place to start. For example, the threads in the tips section are intended to bring new techniques, that might be overlooked, to the general public with some examples. Most of your threads however go into talking about the origins of man, the purpose of life and many other things that might not be relevant to a user who just quickly wants to find some information on what to say to a girl on the street.

While many of those issues are important, and I do agree with you that we are bringing our own doom, I don't think that you will get the right audience on a website where half the audience consists of horny teenagers trying to figure out how to get laid.

Like I already said, I often see that other members seem to be worshipping these types of posts, although I doubt they understand them completely. And that is why everytime I see a thread started by you, I don't even want to look at the replies. Everything with the label "Pook" seems to be passing as some kind of gospel on these forums. Every time I see your thread, I see at least two pages of people agreeing with you, or asking for your approval in some way. I'm tired of those "Pook, I'm not one of those people you were talking about, right?" posts. While many of your threads do contain information that needs to be looked at, a better setting for them would be a book.

Your posts are worth reading, but only by those who are capable of forming their own opinion while still respecting the opinion of the other side. I don't always agree with your ideas, but more often than not I find them awakening new questions about today's culture in my head, driving me to do more thinking and some research afterwards. I doubt other members do the same, which is why I irritably look at them praising you without doing some research to look at other sides of the story. And what pisses me off even more is seeing you assume that the fact that they're praising you means that your thoughts are revealations. They're not, these topics have been argued about for years. And your ideas are not some divine truth either, there is plenty of room for argument should one arise.

Now I would like to change my topic to this thread. I noticed that unlike your other threads, this one wasn't taken so warmly by the public. Still, I think this is one of your best threads yet, covering exactly the issues I've been thinking about for a while and getting right to the core of problems in today's world. Although I must admit that once again, SoSuave may not be the best place for it. Then again, had you not put it here, we might never have looked at it.

I realize now this thread was a mistake. I should have put it in a disk to release years from now since the marriage strike hasn't been fully realized yet, so this matter obviously won't.
This thread was not a mistake, but I already mentioned in this post as well as my other posts replying to your other threads that SoSuave is not a suitable place for this, and hopefully now you see it for yourself as well.

Personally I think this is your best thread yet, and despite what others think I do agree with you that this freedom of speech has evolved into a weapon that silences reason and amplifies ignorance. Although I really don't see why you're picking on Harry Potter, in my opinion the book is enjoyable to read for its appropriate age group. And the fact that so many adults are addicted to it isn't the fault of the book, but rather of what has become to our culture.

All this hype about feminism, and discrimination against minorities will lead to anarchy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against them having equal rights, but we have to work with what we're given. Women are naturally physically weaker than men, there is no denying it. So when a man is asked to do a man's job, it's not discrimination, it's just logic.

Another thing that pisses me off is that the feminists complain about the rights that men have and ignore all the rights that women have and men don't. If you really want to be even, you have to take the responsibilities too. In divorces, it's the man who is ordered to pay alimony. After a reported rape or physical abuse, the court is usually on the woman's side even if the man was the one on the receiving end. Police is more prejudiced towards men when a crime is being investigated. The car insurance is highest for MEN under 21 driving sports cars.

Same story with minorities. I never discriminated against any of them, I have many friends from different cultures. So why should I be punished. Why is it that majority of scholarships today don't allow white males to apply? I see plenty of scholarships saying "homosexuals only, colored people only, women only" but I have yet to see one that says "white males only". I'm not saying there should be, I'm saying they should get rid of those guidelines altogether. They complain about sexism, and racism, yet they are the ones encouraging it by making people believe that they are different from us. There is an old saying: Treat others the way you want to be treated. If they don't want to be discriminated against, why are they discriminating against others by including those guidelines in their scholarships. Jobs are the same way. My mother works as a manager at a construction company, and she has to file these annual EEO reports, which summarize the percentage of women and minorities working for the company, and if it's lower than a certain percent the government refuses to conduct business with the company. And why is it that an offensive joke seems to be taken by others a lot more offensively when told by a white male?

Anyway, I will stop here. Good thread, Pook. This is the truth that society doesn't seem to be ready to accept, however.

diceman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello Pook.

“[1.] Classics survive not because stuffy old professors deem them so, but because the works touch on universal themes of Humanity which make them immortal for they are speak to every generation. What is interesting to note is the classic works have been around centuries if not more, and the 'feminist literature', etc. are still stuck in the current generation. [2.] A good way to tell if something is art is if it survives the test of time. [3.] 'Feminist literature' and all could be read, but not at the expense of the true classics. [4.] (Why are these true classics dispensed with? Because they are now deemed politically incorrect.)”

I can see several errors in here, so I’ve numbered them; I’ll go through them in order:

This is not entirely true; take, for instance, Chinua Achebe’s Things Falls Apart, a million copy bestseller, which is set in colonial times, about an African tribe and the threat from the white men who were just arriving. To me, this is a classic piece of literature, which explores “universal themes”, but most people would never have heard of it were it not for the fact that the novel is perfect for studying (namely, colonialism, postcolonial perspective of). James Joyce’s Ulysses is a book designed for studying (ditto Finnegans Wake).

Firstly, what is art? Secondly, many would argue that, say, Don DeLillo’s Underworld is a great work of art; it was published in 1997.

The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing, I suspect, will be read in centuries’ time, a true classic of ‘feminist literature’. Maragaret Atwood – I hope, I pray! – will not.

Which true classics? Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness ostensibly has many racist aspects to it, as does Rudyard Kipling’s oeuvre, and Saul Bellow is very unpopular among the feminist crowd, but all their literature survives in tact. What does this tell you?

You say that more people should read the classics; here, I must quote everyone’s favourite writer, Salman Rushdie (writing in 2000):

literature, good literature, has always been a minority interest. Its cultural importance does not derive from its success in some sort of ratings war, but from its success in telling us things about ourselves that we hear from no other quarter. And that minority – the minority that is prepared to read and buy good books – has in truth never been larger than it is now.” (‘In Defence of the Novel, Yet Again’)

He says good literature is a minority interest; you say that speeches of Cicero were taught to children of 12 years old. But who thinks all those kids cared about what they were being taught. Of Cicero’s speeches Montaigne has this to say:

I want arguments which drive home their first attack right into the strongest point of doubt: Cicero’s hover about the pot and languish. They are all right for the classroom, the pulpit or the Bar where we are free to doze off and find ourselves a quarter of an hour later still with time to pick up the thread of the argument. (‘On Books’)

Perhaps this is why they were taught to 12-year olds; if they missed the finer details, it wouldn’t matter. And so what if they were taught these speeches? I know for a fact that secondary school kids in Germany are taught Martin Luther King’s famous ‘I have a dream’ speech. As for The Odyssey and The Iliad (which you consistently misspell), these epics were orated; it’s not as if Plato Jnr. sat down with a few thousand wax tablets and read them! And, to be honest, the Robert Fagles translations of Homer’s epics are very easy to read, not that much harder than Harry Potter in fact. Besides, I don’t seriously expect kids to appreciate good literature at such a young age; after all, good literature is about life (Patrick Kavanagh said, “it takes a lot of living to make a poem”; why not modify this to say that it takes a lot to appreciate a poem?), about the ‘human condition’. Kids know nothing, or very little, of the human condition. If a kid wanted to discuss with me the nature of irony in Joseph Heller’s Catch-22, I’d be quite worried. No, life must be experienced first, then literature comes into play. First a man must fall in love, be rejected by someone he loves, meet or know of evil people, etc. before he can appreciate the emotional depth of a novel like Anna Karenina or a play like Anthony and Cleopatra or Waiting for Godot. The first three Harry Potter books may not say a lot about life, but they get kids reading, learning words, broadening their vocabularies, and learning how to spell (shame you didn’t have Harry when you were a kid), and that’s all that a kids’ book can seriously hope to achieve (the millions of copies sold is presumably a bonus). A kid who has read the classics is like a person in restaurant who knows the menu off by heart but hasn’t tasted any of the food.

“No one takes Romance books seriously” you say, perhaps forgetting, that Michael Ondaatje’s The English Patient won the Booker prize, Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With the Wind won the Purlitzer and Boris Pasternak, who wrote Doctor Zhivago, won the Nobel Prize. And what of Wuthering Heights, Madame Bovary, etc?

“As I've gotten older, I've realized most sci-fi is incredibly bad” – And yet, so much of it is great: Dune, Star Maker, H.G. Wells’ classics, The Hitchhiker’s Guide…, I am Legend, We, etc. Sci-fi is the most recent major development (and probably the last) we are likely to see in literature; it will take a few decades for people to truly acknowledge its impact. Most of the great writers of the last 50 years – William Burroughs, Doris Lessing, Anthony Burgess, J.G. Ballard, Kurt Vonnegut – have dabbled in sci-fi; what does that tell you? You say that sci-fi started in the 30’s, but you are wrong: it started in the third book of Gulliver’s Travels, swiftly moved on to Frankenstein, merrily made its way to Jules Verne and H.G. Wells, and never looked back. The rich crop of novelists who have written in this genre is staggering: Olaf Stapledon, Michael Moorcock, Frank Herbert, Ray Bradbury, Douglas Adams, Arthur C. Clarke, Richard Matheson, Joe Haldeman, etc.

“The audience for Sci-Fi have always complained that they are not taken seriously in literature (which isn't true, there is Farehiet 451, 1984, Brave New World)”. Brave New World, is, by its author’s concession, “a book about the future”; sorry to be anal, but I think there is a difference between proper sci-fi and Huxley’s masterpiece. His is prophetic, sci-fi is about the present. To build on one of your own points: “The point is that these 'golden works' are not passing the test of time and are becoming more ridiculous.” Taken as prophetic works, yes, they are dated, but this isn’t what sci-fi, real sci-fi, was about; it was about projecting the problems of the present into a different realm (mostly forward, into the future), to abstract them, so that problems could be viewed differently, at a distance. So Joe Haldeman’s The Forever War is the Vietnam war by another name. The way the soldiers age much slower than people on Earth because they are in space reflects the distortion of time for Vietnam vets. Michael Herr writes:

When you’re out there, fighting, it feels like time stands still; no progress. And, you know, back home folks are getting on with their lives, getting older, and when you get back, to start from where you left off, you find that people have moved on, changed.

The suitably of this space setting becomes clear. And, of course, sci-fi goes on to this day; Iain M. Banks and William Gibson, for example.

Harry Potter

So now I finally, arbitrarily, return to Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling and Stephen King are not literature (or high art) but nobody said they were. Compare Stephen King with Richard Matheson or Robert Bloch, not Shakespeare and Homer! King’s reign of terror, I am sure, will come to an end within a century or so, but I don’t think anyone believes otherwise.

Harry Potter

And you knock children’s writers like they’re idiots; I hope Roald Dahl, Mark Twain, A.A. Milne, Kenneth Grahame, Lewis Carroll and Enid Blyton would all feel suitably humbled by your opinion were they alive today. James Joyce never wrote a kids’ book and probably never could, and, frankly, thank Christ he didn’t!

To finish, here are a few quotes you may find funny/useful:

“Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, pratcise witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.” Pat Robertson, US Politician, 1992

“The uses of knowledge will always be as shifting and crooked as humans are themselves.” John Gray, Straw Dogs

“When I express my opinions it is so as to reveal the measure of my sight not the measure of the thing.” Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays

lebRambo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I started reading Harry Potter a long time ago, and I liked it right from the start. This book is just fun. It has no hidden meanings, no secret agenda. Its just fun. I would be the first person to call bullsh*t on some viewpoint being repackaged and rammed down my throat as 'entertainment', but I see nothing wrong with Harry Potter.

TesuqueRed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like that JKR's stuff has gotten the kids back to reading (apparently) as hungrily as I did once long ago.

She has a killer idea - a fun idea, quite compelling. The last time I had that reaction to a story idea was to Rice's Interview with a Vampire. Juicy! -- these are the 2 times I wish I had gotten hold of the idea and played with it first.

But I couldn't finish Rice's 1st book, I had to quit 2/3's of the way through. I couldn't take any more whining out of whatisname -Louis--??--which was becoming as loathsome and irritating as Thomas Covenant from that Covenant series (don't get me started on that one...)

I can read JKR's works, but it isn't without controlling a gag reflex at times.

Kudos for a killer idea and for those scenes that live up to the promise. For those moments JKR has done an Ok job overall, although as she moves further from book 1 I think she moves further from the magic that first drew everyone in.

Here's my complaint: she needs a professional editor. And at XXX BILLION (or whatever it is) in total sales, she is untouchable. Her only hope is to ask for one, I don't think there's a publisher around with the balls to insist she use one.

Most writers enter the field unprepared and without professional craft, which takes time. They get beaten up by the demands of the job, by editors, by readers, by friends and by themselves. For good reason, too: they need to learn their craft.

JKR has missed all that. Her initial publication has had stratospheric success. Every publication after that has met or exceeded the initial publication. She's done it from what I can tell without an editor. As we say, money is a means of keeping score (however crude a means that is) and by that measure, what editor risks potentially insulting the most financially successful author on the planet?

Look at the size of the books on the shelves -- each volume increases in size over the last one. Does the story or writing increase over the last one? Not really. I look at this and am reminded of Strunk's advice that extra words need to be rigorously cut, that extra words merely dilute one's meaning and impact.

Her books read like an Ok 2nd draft which needs serious paring down. I wish she'd get an editor.

As proof of this I would offer up the more palatable success of the movie scripts. The 120-minute limit enforces a certain discipline and quality control. The screen writer is shackled to main outlines of the story -- and more so, is shackled to the main scenes and dialoque, too. Yet you will notice that the screen writer tends to jettison those scenes and subplots that I would argue JKR should have jettisoned in the book, or which a professional editor would have called into question (after removing all the interminable descriptions of quidditch rules for the 34th time...)

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Guys, I wish I was off my rocker. The gravity of the situation took many months to seep in, and I fought it every step of the way. This is why I don't expect everyone to agree or understand, but I do hope there is reason for you to investigate more on your own.

I realize now this thread was a mistake. I should have put it in a disk to release years from now since the marriage strike hasn't been fully realized yet, so this matter obviously won't.
[/B]
No, this thread wasn't a mistake.

Thank you.

The more you write about it, the more I can relate. Things that were (and still are) happening around me. For example, my almost-divorced parents. Why they didn't get divorced? Simple, my dad died before the divorce could take place. The cause? Heart attack -- depression. My mother simply started doing all the things she wanted to, spending all money she could put her hands on, and my dad got locked on debt. Later, they started to fight, and the divorce was only a question of sharing the assets. But he couldn't take it.

I'm a young man. But I surely have passed through the hell that is this thing. Listen to Pook. You don't want to marry to put kids on this world just to pass through this... trust me.

aftershock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I wish it wasn't past pub opening time. The half an hour its taken me to read this thread could have been taken up with a pint of Stella and a bag of Nobbys Nuts.

I think we all need to lighten up. I come under the category of "fun person", rather than "intellectual". Ever wondered why academics are so bitter at life? They don't have enough fun.

But, something to think about - ever wonder why she's called JK Rowling and not whatever her real name is? The publishers told her that if it was seen that a woman was writing the book then people wouldn't buy it, so he had to use her initials. Now shes richer than the Queen but everyone knows her as "J". Amusing.

I'm interested to hear how this can be applied to the feminist conspiracy theory.

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

A friend I know put a stock certificate of Berkshire Hathaway on the back of his POS mobile. He laughs as he says girls ignore him because they prefer a guy with a shiny car (liability) over a good stock portfolio (asset).

I've tried sitting down women and explain the basics of accounting and passive income. They recoil, violently. I thought, "Hey, this will give us more financial security and makes us wealthier. Isn't that what girls want?" That is not how they think.

I realized girls operate on an entirely different financial statement than guys. Girls have no interest in 'retiring' or 'passive income'. Why? Because YOU, my friend, are the asset. In the asset column, she puts down, "Husband".
haha, right on!
Although I guess this has been true for years. Women always puts down "Husband" in the asset column.
If women are smart financially they might discover one day they don't want a husband anymore...

This is what is happening (alomst) right now. Women became welll not so msart financially but they are getting too much of finance. So they simple figure out they don't any husbdand anymore...This is the reason why marriage is so odd in US.
Go visit poor countries, where women struggle. It is nothing like US in terms of dating and marriage.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You know why our perception of various books changes overtime, Pook? Because the English language changes. A book written 200 years ago will be tougher to understand now than it was back then. I bet you that Harry Potter will be much tougher to understand 200 years from now than it is now.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
In a society that vegetates in front of the television and video games...I think the Harry Potter phenomenon is a wonderful thing. People who have never picked up a book to read that they ddin't HAVE to in school are actually reading something instead of sitting their butts in front of the television.

I have seen and own all the Harry Potter movies that are out. I have read the last two books, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. As a rule, I usually only read psychology books, text-book type stuff. Most books I just can't get into enough to finish because they are just too darn boring.

Harry Potter books has a very wide appeal. It's not just kids and women in their 30's who enjoy these books. I went to the local Borders on the day of the HP release. There were just as many adult males waiting in line to buy the book as there were kids and women.

As a mother, I say these books are a godsend! I have 4 children...and they all love the books. My 19 year old daughter enjoys reading once in awhile...and she loves the books. My 17 year old son HATES to read...he won't even read the books he's supposed to read for school. He LOVES reading Harry Potter books. My 14 year old son is an extremely avid reader who has always read every book he could get his hands on from the time he taught himself to read in kindergarden. In the 3rd grade he came home from his daily visit to the public library with The Howling...he somehow conned the librarian into letting him check it out. He loves the Harry Potter books and was the one who introduced the rest of the family to them. My 5 year old daughter who normally won't sit still for more than 5 minutes will sit for hours while one of us reads out loud to her from Harry Potter.

If someone doesn't care for the books, it's their perogative...and criticizing it in the same way you would criticize any other book is entirely acceptable. A rant like the first post connecting a freaking series of books to all the things mentioned is a bit over the top.

Bottom line...if people enjoy the damn books and it gets people reading instead of sitting on their ass and watching mind-numbing television then hooray for the author...they did good.

As for Rowling's personal story...I happen to think it's a great one. A poor single mother struggling to get by manages not to lose her ability to dream, fantasize and be creative in what was most likely to be a very depressing situation. And she made millions of people WANT to read. Personally, I can't think of a more deserving person to have such a windfall as a dirt poor single parent struggling to provide for their children. Good for her...and even better for her children. What an inspiration she is for all writers everywhere...because if SHE can succeed under the circumstances she wrote that first book under then ANYONE can succeed. Her story is one of hope and inspiration.

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
I think he might need another break from the DJ forum. I watch all of the movies, have never read any of the books and never will. I think that the popularity of the original HP books was very grass roots, parents and children enjoying them, then turning on their friends. The real explosion happened with the first movie and the criticisms of the book brought the media to the ho circus.

Pook take some time off from the epic posts man.....You have everyone here thinkin that they need to right a 3 page post. Hell we have a guy in the mature forum writing a diary of his dating life......

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by SELF-MASTERY
I think he might need another break from the DJ forum. I watch all of the movies, have never read any of the books and never will. I think that the popularity of the original HP books was very grass roots, parents and children enjoying them, then turning on their friends. The real explosion happened with the first movie and the criticisms of the book brought the media to the ho circus.

Pook take some time off from the epic posts man.....You have everyone here thinkin that they need to right a 3 page post. Hell we have a guy in the mature forum writing a diary of his dating life......
If I recall correctly, wasn't the initial criticism of the Harry Potter books brought forth by some overzealous religious nuts who insisted the books were connected to the Occult and devil worship or some such nonsense?

The last book has some typos, and Rowlings isn't the best "writer"...not by a long shot. In fact, she's not that great of an actual writer...but she is one hell of a great story teller. And THAT is what makes the books so special and leads people to love them so much. And so what if some myths were already told long ago...it's just like jokes. When some people tell them...they just aren't very funny. But someone else can tell the same joke and make everyone laugh. JK Rowlings is probably one of the best STORY TELLERS the world has ever seen...and that is what is behind her success.