Harry Potter and the Cheated Readers

soupa

Don Juan
Reaction score
who cares, times change, things happen.

works of shakespeare or classic litature like to kill a mocking bird are boring as hell.

Kids still learn this stuff in school though, i read to kill a mocking bird when i was 10 (well teacher read it), 12, and 14. Studied shakespeare at both 13 and 14 and read parts of the illiad when i was 12 and 14.

So dont act like this litature is dissappearing just because harry potter is getting all the attention now.

And by the way, harry potter is a very entertaining and well written book. I'd choose it over any one of the "classics".

George Gordon

Banned
Reaction score
Pook,

Your posts used to give solutions. They used to inspire. But lately they seem to only put problems under the microscope.

We can talk about what isn't working. But is getting in depth really going to make it work any better? Where's the action?

I think guys really come here because they want to discover true masculinity. And although noticing how our society discourages masculinity in it's truest form can be interesting, it really doesn't help guys embrace their masculinity.

Also, does masculinity demand of every man, a literary mind?

If you can change the problems you talk about, what stops you from doing it? Will writing about it here help?

Why dissect when one can act?

!GG!

Nooby Doo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by George Gordon
If you can change the problems you talk about, what stops you from doing it? Will writing about it here help? Why dissect when one can act?
Although GG is a pompous jackass high on the scent of his own farts, I have to agree with him in this extremely rare instance.

I fail to see how this discussion will encourage anything but a sense of hopelessness against the general direction society is headed.

DJs come to this forum to find solutions, not more problems to worry about.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
shakesphere had messed up plays like romeo and juliet, where teens think its acceptable to kill themselves when they cant get their way by their parents !

and thats high school required reading!

wtf is this classic doing to the kids?

tactic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pook,

Your posts used to give solutions. They used to inspire. But lately they seem to only put problems under the microscope.

We can talk about what isn't working. But is getting in depth really going to make it work any better? Where's the action?

I think guys really come here because they want to discover true masculinity. And although noticing how our society discourages masculinity in it's truest form can be interesting, it really doesn't help guys embrace their masculinity.

If you can change the problems you talk about, what stops you from doing it? Will writing about it here help?

!GG!
I think he puts more time writing than going out there.

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by penkitten
shakesphere had messed up plays like romeo and juliet, where teens think its acceptable to kill themselves when they cant get their way by their parents !

Don't you see? The point of Romeo and Juliet was not that teenagers should commit suicide when they don't get what they want... it was to illustrate the potential tradgedy that blind "love" can invoke. Romeo was overly rash and could not keep a clear head, allowing his emotions to drive him to death, when he should have kept them in check from the start. Romeo was not meant to be example of what to be, he was meant to be an example of what not to be.

Are lessons such as these found in modern literature? That's what Pook is driving at when he speaks of the corruption of literature (from what I understand). People are so overrun with superficiality because they have become androgynous, and thus, dehumanized.

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pook,

!GG!
The problem with society is that society ignores it's problems. They NEED to be put under the microscope. One step to masculinity is realizing that society doesn't have all of the answers, in fact it even has many wrong answers, and pointing out its problems is one way of taking down the roadsigns pointing in the wrong direction.

The point is not to try to fix the problems, it's to understand them so you can fix yourself.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yay, more philosophy.

:rolleyes:

first the thai woman that grew a penis from the tabloids, now harry potter. what isn't attacking pook's view of masculinity these days? it reminds me of that episode of the simpsons where grampa was shouting "eviiiiiiiiil" at everything.

haha, don't bother arguing, your voice is lost in the sea of theoretical paragraphs.

p.s. lifeforce, i see pook still has a grudge with you over that skinnyguy thread lol.

George Gordon

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nooby Doo
Although GG is a pompous jackass high on the scent of his own farts, I have to agree with him in this extremely rare instance.
What are you talking about? I went to Fart Rehab long ago! I've been clean for months now. No more cravings, baby boy.

Originally posted by tactic
I think he puts more time writing than going out there.
I invest more time writing than spending time 'out there' too. And if I was inspired to follow and explore the avenues Pook seems to, I'd spend even more time writing.

Have you considered that some members here already have the skills they wanted when they first became members? Maybe they've already spend enough time out there and realize that there's more important roads to travel.

You might even find that some members who stick around here after they can get the women they want, have other reasons.

Originally posted by Nocturnal
The problem with society is that society ignores it's problems. They NEED to be put under the microscope. One step to masculinity is realizing that society doesn't have all of the answers, in fact it even has many wrong answers, and pointing out its problems is one way of taking down the roadsigns pointing in the wrong direction.

The point is not to try to fix the problems, it's to understand them so you can fix yourself.
Society may ignore its problem, but why would I? I can change only myself, so I focus on me. And if by changing myself, I influence others, than society becomes more natural, doesn't it?

I am a part of society. By changing me, I change a part of society. As do all of us here at sosuave.net. That is why I demand more positive directed posts from Pook. He seems to be the best damn writer on the board.

Listen, our problem here is androgyny. Didn't we all realize that within our first few visits here? Isn't that evident?

So why write pages or posts talking about Nice Guy when we can write pages and pages discussing Cool Guy and how to become him?

The solution is masculinity! And it's scattered in pieces throughout the board. Isn't that what keeps us coming back?

What better knowledge is there than practical advice on how to change our thoughts, actions, and habits back to natural masculinity? And that's what we do here.

Now look, if I came here because I wanted to change the structure of literature in universities to reflect sexuality, this post may be helpful to me. But I do not.

If Pook does, if that's his purpose, that would be awesome! But I'm sure few are here for that reason.

The main reason I've continued to drop in here is because I know there is more positive content coming from Pook.

All of Pook's posts have been accurately directed until recently. I realize this is 'Anything Else' but I want to know why the misdirection suddently. Why the negative focus?

After all, why spend time discussing what you don't want when you could invest it discussing what you do want? Why would I want to discuss the AIDS epidemic in Africa when I could discuss my workout regime and how to improve it and my health?

!GEORGE GORDON!

Pook

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Revolution_AM
Feminism isn't a "bizarre sexual ideology." By using a blanket term like feminism or feminist for a very specific set of agendas or people, you not only do injustice to the word but you also reveal your sledgehammer-like lack of nuance.

As the quote goes, "feminism is the radical notion that women are people." It examines the roles of sex and gender in the social order, to see which ones are socially-constructed (and hence most likely illegitimate).
That premise itself says that society is artificial, that people are nothing more than clay to be molded by angelic potters (be they legislators or academics). This is Rousseau.

Ever since day 1, I've been consistant that the ways to deal with woman (and with men) are defined by Nature, which is above artificial laws, ideologies, and philosophies. We have all our shiny theories only to have Nature pull the rug from underneath our feet.

Many of these 'artificial' laws and standards enshrined by the marriage and divorce industries (for example, do you REALLY need to buy a huge diamond ring or is it an advertising campaign from Da Beers?) are beginning to buckle. This is a good thing.

This forum is on the cutting edge of change in society. When the buckling of the marriage issue becomes more felt, people are going to ask, "How did this occur? How could we pass laws that make men pay child support for children that aren't their own? How did this maddness creep into the system?"

I believe the answer was through massive influence over the humanities, which then that influence could spread to other arenas (such as law). If you look at it on the reverse way, you ought to become very optimisitic. If Humanities reclaims the sexuality and standards it was once held to, we cut this influence off at the root. But no matter how many laws get fixed, the worm is still in the Humanities and must be flushed out.

We also already know that the traditional media outlets are cracking up. The Washington Press Core, for example, is one of the most hated institutions in America and their influence will only be fading, just as their television viewers and newspaper readers are decreasing in number. I suspect the big book industry will be the next apple to fall, the next system to crack up.

Don't use feminism as the generic "evil" at the root of society's problems.
I'm not. And feminism isn't. There are 'traditional' American women I know when asked, "So if you're traditional, that means you're satisfied taking caring of the house while the husband works all day?" "No! He must do his fair share!" Or if you ask, "In the church, it says materialism is bad. So why quest for a super big house, with new cars, and with multiple vacations around the the world monthyl?" And they stare at you like a deer in headlights. But what IS interesting is that they try to sell themselves as being, "You should savor me, for I am not like *those* feminist girls." But if you should ever suggest that American women ought to take their men into more consideration, rather than speaking of them like domestic appliances, they will say, "You would have us be like radical Islam and put us all in hoods!" This, of course, is a ridiculous response but shows that the issue is not feminism but deeper than it, ones that American women, both liberal and conservative, profit on. (And, interestingly enough, they play against each other for their own benifet. The liberal girl will happily proclaim she is not a 'stepford girl' while the conservative girl will happily proclaim she is not a 'feminist who wants to work'. But if you compare them to a woman from a country that doesn't speak English, OH BOY, they both get equally furious.

It should be noted that the divorce rates and cohabitation rates are the same in the Bible Belt and in the religious in America. So instead of framing this thread into a "Feminism is evil" or "Liberal vs. Conservative", consider that both political ideologies face the same issue and that the issue goes deeper, beyond and independent of politics.

You also fail to elaborate as to why marriage is "facing a trainwreck:" is it those nasty, marriage-wrecking feminists, or those confused and evil homosexuals? Is it the act of marrying, or is it the state of being married that's under assault?
I've done several posts on this issue already. But one has to be used to reading demigraphics to see the change occuring.

Demigraphically, feminists are irrelevant. Why? Because feminists are the least likely to have children (and rarely more than 2). Values are passed from one generation to another through parent to child. Feminists don't matter in the long term since they are so low on having children. (And on the reverse, devout religious people have a big impact on demigraphics due to the larger families. More children = more influence over the demigraphics.)

Homosexuals have ZERO influence demigraphically since they, obviously, do not have children. Homosexuals also have a lower life expectancy than the rest of the population, making whatever influence even less. The future of nations and politics will be influenced more by the breeding rate (and immigration) of populations than by any iota of political sophistry.

Numbers do not lie. The marriage rate is dropping, and has been decreasing more rapidly several years now. It seems that it will simply continue to drop.

Divorce rate is slightly dropping too, but this is expected if the marriage rate drops as well.

"This is depressing, Pook. Why mention it?" Because it is reality, and it must be dealt with. When you were a Nice Guy, you didn't close your eyes to reality. You swallowed the pain of truth and realized a whole new world of possibilites out there. It got better for you. This is no different.

At sosuave, we've dealt with 'getting women' in all sorts of encounters and all, but there has never really been a discussion about the Law. Marriage and divorce laws can destroy you and ought to be looked at with more examination. (Worst marriage laws in the country, it seems, is California. Just read it and see for yourself: http://www2.familyinjustice.com:8080/marriage_fact_sheet.html)

What if all these marriages ending in divorce weren't good marriages after all, and would have done more damage than good if they had stayed in them? Isn't then the concern that people aren't making good decisions in who they should marry, rather than some foreign force is coming in and shattering these social and legal bonds?
A better question is, "Why is the state involved at all with marriage?" When you get married, the contract is between you, the girl, and the state. This means a galaxy of divorce laws hangs over your head like a Sword of Damocles, and when it drops you will be paying an artificially determined child support fee for at most 18 years (per child). There is no supervision with the money. The wife could spend it to get boob jobs to go to bars to get rammed by 'bad boys', and there is nothing you can do.

I've never heard anyone answer why the government is involved in marriage in the first place. If the matter was simply dealing with compatibility or with male/female nature, that is one thing. But we are dealing with very expensive laws (to the male) that can rape you for life in court. There are both bad husbands and bad wives. But the difference is that the Law will side with the wife/mother most of the time. I didn't believe this myself until I sat in at Divorce Court. And even the marriages that *are* together, there are a great many of them that are unhappy. Sexless marriages is very rampant currently (who does that benifet? The wife of course).

In one thread I posted, it announced the news that men could do paterntity tests to find out if their children were really theirs. Your feminist group, NOW, was opposed to this oddly, believing that men ought to pay child support for children that isn't theirs.

One of the biggest stressors on marriage does not come from the Literature Departments in Universities, or student rallies in Berkely, but from their workplaces. American workers are working far longer hours for far less pay and with far less benefits (and much more job insecurity) than they did 35 years ago. The idea of one of the spouses staying at home just isn't an option anymore. This changes the dynamic of the home, especially for the children. I'd argue it's this dynamic that is the fault of the decline of the "traditional" family in America, not women standing up for themselves, or men not knowing how to change their car's oil.
I can support myself just fine, and even buy a house. I even have lots of free time. This is because I do not buy a brand new car, or a super big house, multiple vacations, or other liabilities.

When a girl writes down what she wants in a guy (big house, new car, vacations, etc.), it sounds like what a little boy asks from Santa Clause (new train set, helicopter toys, video games). Most marriage problems revolve around money, and many of the money issues comes from the princess demanding her suburban kingdom.

Have you considered that job insecurity rose with women entering the workforce? Business owners often have a low regard for their female employees and will admit it only in the most private of circumstances. There have been cases of American corporations going overseas just to avoid the woman issue (HP is an example).

tactic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can write a Harry Potter book yourself.

Pook

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pook,

The 'solutions' go to the Tips forum. They're usually written beforehand in a text document before placed.

The posts I'm putting in the Anything Else forum are just that, anything else, and are written directly into the little cgi stamp-sized box.

If a girl you meet does things to you that completely annoy you, you do not try to change her. You simply find a girl that does not annoy you.

But the way how the law is set up, every girl now comes attached with a 'Buyer-Beware' red flag.

Unfortunately, many of the guys here are in high school or college. This issue will seem completely alien to them. But after college, in the real world, it is a fact that people use and bend others through law or through other means for money or personal pleasure. The best way to protect yourself is to understand what is going on.

Many people, for example, get married in college, before they enter the 'real world'. Hopefully this red flag waving over this issue will warn men over this issue.

California is a great example. California changed their marriage laws in 2000 (http://www2.familyinjustice.com:8080/marriage_fact_sheet.html).
A legislator thought it wise to put up a bill that would require newlyweds to read over the new law changes before they get married. This sounds like common sense to me.

The Governor vetoed the bill. Why? After reading the bill, everyone should be able to figure out why.

But Gordan, bringing issue to light with the problem is a BIG step forward. As you can see from the threads, many people are in complete denial about provable demigraphic changes like falling marriage statistics or the reality of family courts.

The rub is that I'm not even bringing up the 'nasty' stuff to light, only the simple stuff. Like I'm not linking to posts about Western men totally abandoning their country and becoming expats due to this issue. I still don't know how to regard such men, but its clear every male should examine the legal/financial costs of marriage and divorce before they get married.

mindovermatter said,

first the thai woman that grew a penis from the tabloids, now harry potter. what isn't attacking pook's view of masculinity these days? it reminds me of that episode of the simpsons where grampa was shouting "eviiiiiiiiil" at everything.
I am amused that so many keep trying to frame this issue, that has so many tentacles, into a simple context. So far I've heard, "Pook thinks its Feminism = all evil," then "Harry Potter = all evil", then "Conservative vs. Liberal", and even "Pook is off his rocker."

Guys, I wish I was off my rocker. The gravity of the situation took many months to seep in, and I fought it every step of the way. This is why I don't expect everyone to agree or understand, but I do hope there is reason for you to investigate more on your own.

I realize now this thread was a mistake. I should have put it in a disk to release years from now since the marriage strike hasn't been fully realized yet, so this matter obviously won't.

This issue also varies depending on your location.

But the red flag has been raised on the issue. If you go out, get married (with increasingly likely to some boinker girl with car logo tatoos on her, or to a girl who already has kids), you have only yourself to blame. If you get raped in divorce court, don't come crying to me. If you end up depressed realizing that you're going to spend your life for debt reduction (for that big house/car/vacations that she says is 'necessary'), the responsibility now falls directly on you.

tactic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't have time for this, i'm out.

George Gordon

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pook
But the way how the law is set up, every girl now comes attached with a 'Buyer-Beware' red flag.

Unfortunately, many of the guys here are in high school or college. This issue will seem completely alien to them.

But Gordan, bringing issue to light with the problem is a BIG step forward.[/i]
Pook,

We tend to look first at situations from our point of view, don't we? I know I've considered marriage issues before. Even moved in with a former girlfriend for a few months as a 'Marriage Simulator'; The 'problems' where not what I thought they would be at all!

But do you really think most guys overlook the legal and financial sides to marriage when they get married?

How do you get a successful marriage? I have my ideas. To squeeze a post into a paragraph, there are two basic skill sets (that have skills sets of their own). First, know how to establish and maintain relationships with women who are attractive and pleasing. Second, know how to build or buy assets.

After all, how can a marriage survive if the couple either dislike each other or aren't attracted to each other, and when all arguing -- I mean, communication between the couple is about poorly managed finances?

But I'm curious about what you think...

Because all women come attached with a 'Buyer Beware' tag, does that mean that all women will be prone to 'Marriage Malfunction'?

If this tag is like the 'Beware of Dog' sign people put up, how legitimate do you think these tags really are? Some people actually have the big bad dogs, but don't others have a puny thing, or no dog at all?

I like two words: simple and practical. After I identify exactly what I want, I search for a simple and practical means to create that condition in my life.

I guess what I'm driving at is: How would you personally determine from the onset whether there is actually a big ol' b!tch inside a woman, just a little pup, or no dog at all when it comes to behavior in long-term marriage?

Have you talked to any successfully married men who've had some input on that one? Maybe I'll have to find a handful and interview them over the coming years.

!GEORGE!

Pook

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a couple articles I ran into related to the topic.

Someone mentioned here that music is very much agenda/pushed out. Well, he's right if you look at the 'Sony' part of this article. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163537,00.html

For those of you playing video games and not watching TV, marketers are very angry at you and are trying to get at you.

http://online.wsj.com/public/articl...KkAgR_5JCbWBwSi_7c_20060725,00.html?mod=blogs

Bottom Line: I am not going to buy a game I learn contains advertisements. I no longer watch TV. Do these bozos think I will make an exception for their pathetic little games? If their games aren't good enough to make a profit the old way, they aren't worth playing. These damned advertisers need to learn that it's the quality of their product that drives sales, not how many times they tell me how wonderful it is. I am perfectly capable of determining whether their product is wonderful all by myself. Did I mention how much I hate these folks?
And here's a good one on Harry Potter:

http://www.canada.com/national/nati...d=0e837a5b-2e04-49aa-9fac-1c690582ebac&page=1

Vandermast

Don Juan
Reaction score

For those of you playing video games and not watching TV, marketers are very angry at you and are trying to get at you.

Screw those marketers, they can be angry at me all they want!
I am still happy with my Nintendo playing DuckHunt and my new backstreet boys album. I don't read Harry Potthead:mad:

Pook

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

But do you really think most guys overlook the legal and financial sides to marriage when they get married?
Yes.

Because all women come attached with a 'Buyer Beware' tag, does that mean that all women will be prone to 'Marriage Malfunction'?
If the law wasn't as severe as it was, I'd be singing a different tune.

Whenever I raise the issue of the law with women, their reply is: "Then don't lay with bad women!"

My response is, "Then I might as well lay with vipers." Vipers have about a 50% chance of stinging. And if there was an airplane that could crash 50% of the time, would you get on it? Marriage is an investment, but look at the probability.

What is a successful marriage? Is the couple still have sex to the satisfaction of both members? Are they both happy and content? At best, many western marriages are simply a bore.

When it comes to meeting and dating girls, our being 'suave' or 'game' or 'attitude' determines a lot. But when it comes to the might of the law, the Dpn Juan is powerless. If the Court says your pre-nup agreement is void, that the house you bought is now hers, and that you must keep paying her to satisfy her lifestyle, what can you do?

When I changed my views financially, I fast picked up on a change with women. A friend I know put a stock certificate of Berkshire Hathaway on the back of his POS mobile. He laughs as he says girls ignore him because they prefer a guy with a shiny car (liability) over a good stock portfolio (asset).

I've tried sitting down women and explain the basics of accounting and passive income. They recoil, violently. I thought, "Hey, this will give us more financial security and makes us wealthier. Isn't that what girls want?" That is not how they think.

I realized girls operate on an entirely different financial statement than guys. Girls have no interest in 'retiring' or 'passive income'. Why? Because YOU, my friend, are the asset. In the asset column, she puts down, "Husband". When women shop for husbands, they are very much shopping for assets. The guy has good enough income coming, she can 'retire' (not work) and buy her stuff (big house, big car, etc). This is why if you say you have 'no income', it is like an investor looking at an investment that will not give any income.

If you were a musician but simply waiting tables to make ends meet while you pursued your passion, in Woman's World you are a LOSER. You're not bringing home the bacon. And I laugh at how the computer geeks of the 80s were "too nerdy" and "undatable" but are now eagerly sought. Is it because women like computers? No, it is because there is an IMAGE out there that people who do lots of stuff with computers make lots of money.

I don't think its possible to talk about Western Marriage without talking about finance.

Paranoid

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There are people who will buy harry potter and then there will be people who will buy LOTR. I'm sure there are many who have bought both and enjoyed them equally.

I'm sure there are many bad books around but one can't blame Rowling if the Media had jumped the gun on her book. It could have been Eragon or Artemius Fowl. So one wouldn't blame Rowling in trying to cash in as much as she can with her books.

What is ridiculous is having the Pope and other religious groups calling Potter as the "Devil's book" et al. This too would fuel demand for the book, much like it did for "The Da Vinci Code", which was a pleasant read but not ground breaking. There are many other books based on Jesus Christ which may have been even more controversial but again, it was Dan Brown who benefited from all the media hype.

People will read what they feel like reading. I fone starts dictating what a good book is and what a bad book is, reading isn't going to be fun at all.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a couple articles I ran into related to the topic.

Someone mentioned here that music is very much agenda/pushed out. Well, he's right if you look at the 'Sony' part of this article. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163537,00.html

http://online.wsj.com/public/articl...KkAgR_5JCbWBwSi_7c_20060725,00.html?mod=blogs

And here's a good one on Harry Potter:

http://www.canada.com/national/nati...d=0e837a5b-2e04-49aa-9fac-1c690582ebac&page=1
That guy seems very jealous because rowling is making money. I don't get why people have so much against rowling. Sure I agree her behaviour is pretty bad, but that doesn't mean her books are bad or there's a secret agenda to selling her books. In the end it comes down to that people like to read her books. And yes, I think our grandchildren will remember her books. After all Tolkiens books are still read today and his books swept across the world. I've met many people who have read Jules Verne, Mary Shelley and Miguel de Cervantes.