Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Hardcover books

Fzatf

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I never read him. A friend of mine was reading Wheel of Time and highly recommended it, but at the time there were like nine volumes and I didn't want to invest the time until I was sure he was going to finish it. Sure enough, he died before he did (I know someone else finished it). I also tend to be a slow reader (I like to savor the words) so I found it a little daunting. Besides, I tend to prefer non fiction.

Come to think of it, George RR Martin may never finish Song of Ice and Fire, but I'm hoping to live long enough to see Game of Thrones finish in April on HBO.
The Wheel of Time is my all time favorite fantasy series. Better than Lord of The Rings in my opinion, though it might not exist if not for Tolkiens revolutionary work. I highly recommend you read it.

Fzatf

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wheel of Time will be finished by Brandon Sanderson, who has epic series of his own

HardCover books are fun for the library... paper book to be read ;)
Brandon Sanderson finished it and I think he did a great job on keeping the original feel of Robert Jordan alive.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Brandon Sanderson finished it and I think he did a great job on keeping the original feel of Robert Jordan alive.
The finishing doesn't do justice for Jordan...it somehow didn't feel right.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Wheel of Time is my all time favorite fantasy series. Better than Lord of The Rings in my opinion, though it might not exist if not for Tolkiens revolutionary work. I highly recommend you read it.
Honestly, I'd like to read it, but 14 books, most near 1,000 pages, yeesh. I may not live long enough to read them.
By the way, saying "Better than Tolkien" is not the best way to get on my good side :)

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd like to read it, but 14 books, most near 1,000 pages, yeesh. I may not live long enough to read them.
By the way, saying "Better than Tolkien" is not the best way to get on my good side :)
It by far exceeds 1000 pages...

Good luck reading it.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It by far exceeds 1000 pages...
No, I meant each individual book was near 1,000 pages.
And I didn't say I was going to read it. I'd like to, but it's a big time investment, and at this point it would have to wait in a queue.

Fzatf

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The finishing doesn't do justice for Jordan...it somehow didn't feel right.
I do wonder how the last couple books would have differed had Jordan been able to finish them. Still a great ride from start to finish.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
I do wonder how the last couple books would have differed had Jordan been able to finish them. Still a great ride from start to finish.
It was supposed to be the last book as originally planned byJordan but it ended up into 3 more additional books after his death.

It's different.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
No, I meant each individual book was near 1,000 pages.
And I didn't say I was going to read it. I'd like to, but it's a big time investment, and at this point it would have to wait in a queue.
In the end you will...

Good luck reading it.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
What did you get from it? What did you like about it? I like reading good series of books.
I read it like in my 20's..

It was fun for me at that age, hike up a hill with a 6 pack/sandwiches and spend the whole afternoon reading, whilst fishing - hunting - camping. It's just something I brought along when I'm doing some solo adventures.

Just so happens the book is appealing enough. It's the ability of the writer to construct a whole world and make you feel a part of it.

R

Ranger

I read it like in my 20's..

It was fun for me at that age, hike up a hill with a 6 pack/sandwiches and spend the whole afternoon reading, whilst fishing - hunting - camping. It's just something I brought along when I'm doing some solo adventures.

Just so happens the book is appealing enough. It's the ability of the writer to construct a whole world and make you feel a part of it.
As you know I study writers and yet still enjoy the story. I will read the first one.
The same reason I liked the dark tower series.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
As you know I study writers and yet still enjoy the story. I will read the first one.
The same reason I liked the dark tower series.
You won't regret it. Good stuff there.

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
Make a dust cover out of news paper, thats the way we used to do it in school in soviet union. Im sure there a video or two on youtube on how to wrap it.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Make a dust cover out of news paper, thats the way we used to do it in school in soviet union. Im sure there a video or two on youtube on how to wrap it.
That's a good idea for sure. But if you read the original post, I can't stand dust covers, the first thing I do is take it off.

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
I see your point. But you are contradicting yourself, at one hand you want a pristine book, at another you want a book without any protection. You do realize that you can't have it both ways. You either use a temporary dust cover for the time you read it, or you don't use and risk damaging your book. I think it's a good practice to use newspaper covers. In my attic I have two boxes of old books that my grand parents used, some of them are still wrapped in newspaper. Those newspapers date back to Stalin era, you read the headlines, and they talk about Stalin. I think that's cool.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I see your point. But you are contradicting yourself, at one hand you want a pristine book, at another you want a book without any protection.
Not at all. Again, if you read the original post, I don't collect books and therefore don't care about their condition. In fact, I prefer paperbacks. As I said, I was just curious about which was more important to the value, the cover or the dust jacket?

Your newspaper suggestion is a good one. Atom Smasher also recommended making your own temporary dust jacket.

I'm not a collector, but I am a bit of a packrat. I have boxes and boxes of old books. I should probably donate them.

Last edited:
U

user43770

You don't collect books, yet you're worried about their value? Your stupid book won't be worth anything either way.

I also hate the covers, and take them off immediately.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't collect books, yet you're worried about their value? Your stupid book won't be worth anything either way.
I wasn't talking about this particular book, and I'm not worried about the value. Again, if you read the original post, I was curious about what contributed more to devaluation of books, the condition of the dust jacket or the book itself. I don't collect books, but I found the lady who specialized in books on Pawn Stars interesting.

U

user43770

I wasn't talking about this particular book, and I'm not worried about the value. Again, if you read the original post, I was curious about what contributed more to devaluation of books, the condition of the dust jacket or the book itself. I don't collect books, but I found the lady who specialized in books on Pawn Stars interesting.
I did a little bit of searching and found this:

www.abebooks.com/books/old-books-antique-appraising-pricing/book-values.shtml

Key Factors That Influence Book Values

• Condition is very important and will greatly influence value. A beaten-up old book that is falling apart will have little value.

• First editions are sought-after by book collectors and a first edition is usually more valuable than a later printing. A first edition signed by the author will have even greater value.

• Scarcity influences value.

• For hardcover books published from the 20th century onwards, the presence of a dust jacket and its condition also greatly affect value.

• If you are having difficulty understanding some of the terms used by rare booksellers, refer to our glossary, which also includes a guide to used book conditions and book sizes.