Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Hard trek to the altar

slowhand

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I joined this forum because I have a problem but I'm not sure if this (or anywhere else) is the proper place to ask for help. Well, here goes.

I got engaged a couple of months ago. I'll call her "Peg" just to save our privacy. Peg an I have had a relationship since 2006. We made just about every mistake a couple can make, ranging from the silly to the disgusting to behavior too shameful to admit to anyone but one's self. I had a drinking problem (I finally sobered up). She had a kid by another man during a break-up with me.

Peg and I were previously in very-long-term relationships with someone who couldn't commit. Both of us made ourselves available to each other out of loneliness, hurt, and desperation, at a low point in each of our lives. Peg and I had known each other for three years before that, but only as mere acquaintances who had no interest in each other.

Our relationship has been troubled. We never committed to each other, and up until a very short time ago, we cheated on each other constantly with our other long-term lovers. We both still deny, deny, deny to each other except in so much as the kid or yeast infections betray the truth.

The relationship between Peg and me got more serious after her long-term boyfriend came home and kicked her out. Before then, Peg and her significant other cheated on each other when he was away for business trips (which eventually became a defacto separation). I cheated on my significant other too, who had been cheating on me from the start. For me and Peg, our other relationships weren't going anywhere, and both of the hopeless relationships had a pretense of fidelity that doomed those relationships with lies. But the worst thing was that we lied to ourselves that those other relationships were enough for now, or as good as we could get, or whatever we had to tell ourselves to get through the day.

Neither of us are players. Peg and I are both scared and lonely and use sex for tension release, and cheating as revenge. Yes we're stupid and make stupid mistakes that we know better than to do. We're common people with low incomes and no resources to buy our way into a sham happiness.

The economy was hard on us. I lost my business and went back to college. We used to live in Sacramento, but I went back to school at UCLA so now Peg and I are separate in much the same way she was with her former LTR. She's a temp who works on call, averaging about 5 hours a week. Her job is her lifeline -- the only thing that gets Peg out of the house and keeps her sane. Peg has no real skills, so she can't find anything no matter how much she looks. I'm "overqualified" and can't get taken seriously for low-level managerial positions that I AM qualified for without a degree. So I live in a mini-dorm with other students, and she lives far away with her mother and various no-good relatives who won't ever leave.

I'm estranged from my family, but her family has always been a meddling, troublemaking, interfering bunch who are near-idiots on the IQ scale, have a slew of behavioral problems and/or mental illnesses, and are in and out of trouble with the law. The only hope is to get Peg and her kid to move out of Sacramento and here to Los Angeles. That way, both Peg and I will be a long way away from former lovers and a long way away from her family. We could forgive the mistakes of the past and look forward to building a better future together.

We're both scared to go forward. We never had any money and the future looks scary. We argue all the time. We make each other insecure in the relationship. But through it all, we developed a love for each other. We're scared to death of losing each other. We both want children together, we both want to get married, but it's never, never, never the right time.

The closer I get to her, the further our relationship moves forward, the worse she treats me. I can't go on with the cheating and lies. Not from myself. Not from her. So I demand better behavior from me, which I can and do perform, and from her, which she takes as a cue to act even more deplorably. She's afraid. There's enough hurting in our past and in our present to give her substantial doubts about our future.

I can see that the closer I get to her, the more that I let loose the A.F.C. within every man that we all despise. My behavior isn't helping us.

Sure, if she truly can't take those last few, important steps to say "I do" and pack up her stuff, I don't want it to be because I subconsciously wrecked it at the last moment. The relationship has been going on too long, and lasted through too many bad patches, to go backwards to dating, and watch her hook up with other men. I can't do it anymore. I'll say and do anything I have to do to help her commit to me, if that's what she truly wants.

REPEAT: I'LL SAY AND DO ANYTHING TO GET HER

The tension level is as bad as it's ever been. I've got to reduce the tension and increase the lightness of spirit. By all means, I must wipe out the feeling that choosing to be with me might temporarily be the least-bad alternative that she can always abort later if only she keeps looking around and making feelers to former lovers.

Gents, it's crunch time. I need your help. Please. Give it your hardest, coldest assessment, and give it to me straight.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What makes you think marriage to this woman is going to improve your life in any way, shape, or form? You laid out a very clear picture of misery with her, and an even clearer forecast of protracted misery should you marry her.

You're 52 years old. Stop treating yourself like sh!t by sticking around people who treat YOU like sh!t.

slowhand

Reaction score
Colossus, I'm sure you can tell that my friends are appalled. Both at her bad behavior that shames me around them, and at me for spending one nanosecond even thinking about her. My best friends have been my Rock of Gibraltar though it all, but I can tell they're tired of hearing about it and they're backing away from me.

On the other hand, I don't live in Sacramento any more, don't plan to, and I'd have to detach myself from friends who can't support my marriage anyway. So it will be, and always was, between us two to work out. Your advice, though, does match what my best friends say. I note that.

We both have pretty low self-esteem. It makes sense that people with low self-esteem treat others like sh!t, and allow themselves to be treated like sh!t. Give or receive at any particular time with any particular individual doesn't really matter -- because roles change at any particular minute with any particular situation. Give or receive inconsiderate treatment, both are symptoms of the same disease. Both have the same cure.

I have to change my life in a fundamental way that builds esteem for myself, and allows me to feel esteem for others. I'm already taking action to improve my life. It's just a matter of time until I have my undergraduate and graduate degrees and get that job that will give me high social status and will make me a highly desirable commodity on the husband market. I'm surrounded at college by women who understand that perfectly clearly, who know they're headed toward good professional futures as well, and who bend over in front of me several times a day.

I love Peg and I want to grow old with a woman I love -- not some slut who bends over to lure passing gentlemen. So I want to make it possible for Peg to act on her love -- now -- because I'm a limited-time offer that other women are lining up for.

Zunder

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like you feel you got no other choices apart from this imbecile.
A man iwth no choices is apt to do daft things.

To be honest - this is one sick relationship.

No real answers for you apart from get out and get as far away from her as you can - if that means another country so be it.

I hear good things about Poland on Roosh's blog!

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
slowhand said:
We're both scared to go forward. We never had any money and the future looks scary. We argue all the time. We make each other insecure in the relationship. But through it all, we developed a love for each other. We're scared to death of losing each other. We both want children together, we both want to get married, but it's never, never, never the right time.
In other words, this woman is everything that you do NOT need in your life. But love will conquer all.

I've got big news for you... Love doesn't conquer 5hit. Love is just a combination of emotions between two people. It has no strength, and emotions can change and fizzle out.

A marriage consists of a legal contract. It is physical, and costs lots of money. Once the emotions between the two of you fizzle out, all you're going to be left with is a legal contract that costs money and even possessions to break. Love cannot conquer a legal contract. Love cannot conquer loss. Love cannot conquer the fact that she had a kid with some other dude while you two split up. Love cannot conquer a break-up.

The amount of time you've spent your energy and emotion on this woman is a waste. You hate each other, but you feel like you're stuck with her. All the miserable 5hit she puts on you isn't going to go away with a huge party celebrating the signing of a legal contract.

You have NO reason to stay with this woman. Love isn't a reason. Would you keep sucking on a pacifier just because you loved it when you were a baby?

You need to learn how to finalize the ending of this relationship. If you don't do that, you're just going to continue being miserable with and without this woman.

You may call a garbage dump home because it's familiar, but you cannot say it's the best environment for you for that reason alone. There are going to be better women out there, and the longer you waste away with the same piece of trash, the longer you will deprive yourself from experiencing those better women.

Cut the woman out of your life, and move onto better things. Learn to deal with the emotional pain instead of trying to cover it up by going back to her.

I have to change my life in a fundamental way that builds esteem for myself, and allows me to feel esteem for others.
You can't do that while you're with someone who keeps pulling you back into the 5hithole. You need to improve yourself on your own, and for yourself. She will increasingly become an obstacle on your path to self-improvement. She will only set you back and keep you from moving forward.

It's just a matter of time until I have my undergraduate and graduate degrees and get that job that will give me high social status and will make me a highly desirable commodity on the husband market.
Education and money are not the key to happiness. The key is to build your life on the foundation of your already-existing accomplishments. You don't need money and education to be happy. A man can be poor as fvck and be happier than a pig in 5hit because he's maintained his health, survived through trauma, and enjoyed success of having a poem published in a book. None of those require money, education, nor women.

I love Peg and I want to grow old with a woman I love -- not some slut who bends over to lure passing gentlemen.
All women are 5luts if they are given the attention and the motivation. A 5lut can become a lady if she has the desire and motivation to change. That being said...

So I want to make it possible for Peg to act on her love -- now -- because I'm a limited-time offer that other women are lining up for.
You cannot make a woman change. She has to find the motivation herself to get what she wants. You cannot tell her nor seduce her to do something she has no desire to do. If other women are lining up because they feel they have the potential to fall in love with you, they're a better match for you than Peg who has no love for you at all.

On that note, you cannot seduce women with an education and a job. You have to seduce her by having a stellar, sexual personality.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do NOT marry this woman. I'll be harsh about it, the past 5 years with this woman seems like a complete train-wreck the whole time.

You need to start believing in yourself. I'd recommend cutting all contact with her, immediately. Focus on getting your career and life back. You are already a good distance from her. Take advantage of that.

You are 52, you aren't dead yet. Don't live like you already are. This woman is toxic. Your life will be non-stop hell if you marry her, and most likely you'll commit suicide or die from a heart attack if you continue on like this.

For God's sake, life is a gift. Take advantage of it and build a life that you want, filled with joy and happiness, and love from a woman that's earned it.

It's all out there for you to go and grab. Just do it.

Burroughs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You want it straight?
ok

You are an idiot!
Got it? Good.

But thing is, ITS NEVER TOO LATE TO CHANGE.

Now splash some ice cold water on your face. Do it three times. Then. Open the window and scream as loud as you possibly can. Do it again. One more time.

Now calmly resolve to never call this girl ever again.

See how much better you feel

Buddha_Mind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
slowhand,

Read Desdinova's advice -- this is some good 5hit and solid.

The only way a relationship could ever possibly work between you two is if SHE was JUST AS determined for change as you were -- and that wouldn't coverup the scarred past of your relationship or the wounds that are likely still there from the countless bickering you've had or the countless acts of hurt you've committed against each other. These things, even if you tried to take a healthier frame, are hard to forget and will keep popping up.

I know that you have an attachment to her, an emotional attachment for well-being. It can make a man feel incredible when a woman wants him. And the loss of a woman (of whom he loves) can crush a man's spirit very deeply. I understand that you desire to be with her and that you love her -- but you have to really look at this love -- is it a form of attachment? Out of fear? Is that love truly motivated out of the right place? Are you sure you both aren't, essentially "using" each other, in what is, underlying, out of selfish motives?

When there is actual love (not neediness of attachment), do people seek revenge by cheating or seek the upwelling of pain and hurt? What is this love that you have for her -- or that you believe she has for you -- if hurting one another is so easy?

I will say your ability to phrase your situation and the writing you contributed paints a clear image. It is no doubt you possess intelligence. But now, use this intelligence a bit to better investigate your emotional plane and the underlying motivations for your decisions.

Do you truly believe, after you are educated -- or even now where you are presently -- you can't find a better situation than the destructive woman you are with?

You absolutely can.

You can count on the fact there is some other woman vowing within herself towards improvement this very second -- there are other women who have their "5hit together", of whom, if you continue to keep your 5hit together, will be interested in you.

This relationship is destructive man -- it cannot be fixed, most importantly when one party is so far from any such desire...you've got to let her go slowhand -- I know that is incredibly hard -- but you absolutely have to or else you'll never have anything better but this repeated cycle of pain and abuse. It doesn't mean you have to ignore that you care about her, have cared about her, but recognize the reality of the situation and see it for what it is detached from some of the emotional chemicals stewing within.

Much love towards a better way man.

macagent

Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, along with many of the comments here, I would also recommend you take this opportunity at school as a "reset" for your life. You are getting ready to move on from where you were, why carry any of that previous baggage with you? Move forward, and if she is unable to move with you, then that is your answer. Don't hold yourself back for any woman.

slowhand

Reaction score
There's some good advice in the responses, but I'm not getting any pointers on how you'd use your great lady-killing principles to make this woman happy long enough to get her away from the clan that keeps her depressed and self-loathing.

From the very start, my relationship with Peg unintentionally initiated a series of events that broke up her life as she once knew it. The story is too long to tell here. It would make a good soap opera. I'm convinced that the changes wouldn't have happened if her former lover or her family cared about her in the least. I'm convinced that she isn't intentionally destructive, only vulnerable and manipulated.

She can't go back to the way it was before, and she can't live with the way it is now. Someone's whispering to her that, if only people would stop making problems, everything could go on just fine, just as it is now. I don't think so. They know that the mother needs to move to senior apartments, and that the house will be sold when Peg leaves to live with me in LA. Peg and her mother can't stand each other. After years of freedom from her mother, Peg is back living with her. It can't last. Peg's been promised some full-time work this spring. After that, she'll have money in her pocket and she'll want a long vacation from her mom. Time is on my side in this. All I have to do is wait and watch the clown show as the relatives mess up their free lunch.

Me? I'm doing just fine at college. I don't ever have to go back to Sacramento again. I can wait for Peg to decide that I'm the best thing in her life, and decide that she was just used by those other men for sex. However, I enjoy taking a long weekend now and again. Why not vacation inside Peg? I take what I want, and I want Peg. She's a flesh-and-blood human being. If I'm not seeing her, she'll get lonely and hook up with other men. Only a foolish little boy would buy the idea that I should want my woman to be screwed by other men, so that I could be "free" to make passes at random sluts. So please save such nonsense for the 20-somethings who are too young and immature to be taken seriously as a potential mate.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's some good advice in the responses, but I'm not getting any pointers on how you'd use your great lady-killing principles to make this woman happy long enough to get her away from the clan that keeps her depressed and self-loathing.
You cannot make this woman happy. Nobody can. Not only that, women don't like being happy, they prefer emotional fluctuation. She's getting this fluctuation from all the drama that's going on in her life. You cannot fix this. If this is how she enjoys getting emotional fluctuation in her life, then it will continue into your marriage.

I can wait for Peg to decide that I'm the best thing in her life, and decide that she was just used by those other men for sex.
Here's a news flash... Women LOVE sex. They love sex more than they love having a stable relationship. If you spank her ass, pull her hair, and jam your thumb in her a55hole, she'll love it. If you do missionary style every night and thank her for the sex after you're done, she'll find someone else more interesting to fvck.

Peg isn't this precious little flower that needs to be saved. She's a human being who loves emotional fluctuation and sex. She does NOT want to be saved from any of it.

If I'm not seeing her, she'll get lonely and hook up with other men.
She'll also do that if you provide a life of complete happiness for her, simply because the life you're providing is boring.

Only a foolish little boy would buy the idea that I should want my woman to be screwed by other men, so that I could be "free" to make passes at random sluts.
What disqualifies Peg from being a slvt?

So please save such nonsense for the 20-somethings who are too young and immature to be taken seriously as a potential mate.
And Peg isn't too dramatic to be taken as a potential mate? Personally, I would've dumped old Peg in a flash for the 21 year old I'm dating. I've seen nothing (yet) that qualifies her as damaged goods, but your old Peg sounds like she's LOADED with damage.

They may be young and immature, but they haven't been destroyed by stupid AFCs who want to save them from being women.

SecondHalf

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Slowhand, how old is Peg.
I'd assume that the age gap is 15 years plus (if you're talking children)?
When I read your posts, I've not heard you say one positive thing about peg.
i.e. Attractive, full of life, hot, funny, intelligent, giving, supportive ... nothing.

And Peg isn't too dramatic to be taken as a potential mate? Personally, I would've dumped old Peg in a flash for the 21 year old I'm dating. I've seen nothing (yet) that qualifies her as damaged goods, but your old Peg sounds like she's LOADED with damage.

They may be young and immature, but they haven't been destroyed by stupid AFCs who want to save them from being women
^^^ winner!

Slowhand, how much time you waste with this woman is up to you, but waste time you will.

If you want to test her sincerity, get a life for yourself.
Don't be so accessible.
You'll likely prefer to pursue that new life than return to the old one.

This peg is an unhealthy choice for you. That's it!

SH

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Slow Hand,
You sound like a masochist....give her the flick.

macagent

Don Juan
Reaction score
slowhand said:
Really? Is that what you think is needed here? Turn on some DJ powers and all will be well? Besides this woman sounding like a complete waste of time, your perspective on this issue is really unbelievable to me.

You ask how to use DJ techniques to become more of an AFC? The fact that you want to be with this woman doesn't lead me to believe you really understand the message here. She's had a child by another man while you were "broken up", has had many affairs, makes $5/day, and lives with her relatives? The only Dj powers you need to know about in this situation are "Turn and Burn", followed quickly by "No Contact Ever".

You cannot make anybody do anything, mate. Your love will fix no one but yourself -> and this is where you should focus: Self-love. Stop wasting your time and energy trying to make someone else into something they are not.
Get your head straight and make yourself into what you want to be first, then the women will flow.

Also, what Scaramouche said.

And furthermore, do you read your own posts? Cause seriously this...
slowhand said:
...and watch her hook up with other men. I can't do it anymore. I'll say and do anything I have to do to help her commit to me, if that's what she truly wants.

REPEAT: I'LL SAY AND DO ANYTHING TO GET HER

amoka

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pair A Dice said:
This sounds eerily similar to several other troll posts on this board recently.

If he's clean, I hope he's lying about his age. This is no way for a 52-year-old man to conduct his life.
I very much agree. What gave it all out was when he mentioned to be livin in the doem with other college kids.

slowhand

Reaction score
What kind of jackass lives in urban America and pretends to not know that a "mini-dorm" is an ordinary house where the landlord rents all the rooms out to students? Yeah, like federal financial aid is enough for me to rent an apartment in LA.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Slowhand, I think what we need is you to be honest with us. A lot of us just can't believe, that a 52 year old man is asking advise on how to convince a woman, with obvious multiple issues, who sleeps with other men, to commit.

If you read this site, heck any few posts, you'll see that this woman is the worst thing for you. If you are 52....you have LIFE experience. You should know loss, love, getting over it all, you've been there...etc.

Peg is a complete disaster. Why can you not see that? If you can't answer that question, you'll see why a lot of posters here don't buy into your story.

We'd love to help, but the first step is your honesty with us.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pair A Dice said:
This sounds eerily similar to several other troll posts on this board recently.

If he's clean, I hope he's lying about his age. This is no way for a 52-year-old man to conduct his life.
ya gotta agree... unless he's dyslexic and meant 25 not 52

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am half your age. So I will be respectful to you (even though your age is under question) and tell you what I'd do.

You CAN make a big change in Peg. And this is already a few steps away from you. Now I am going to list what you have to do, (as you asked) but you have to bite your tongue and stick to this, if you do as I say, the acute response may be harsh, but in the long term you will have a Peg that you can start to work with. Right now Peggy is not workable. She needs to be fixed.

You said both of you are in love. This is good. It means that you have got her medicine, now we will cut her fix. And she will go crazy. If you learn how to give it to her in rations, you will be her master.

OK.

1) Contact Peg, and mention insidiously that you met someone. You will build an imaginary character. Save this character in your phone. Her name's Megan. Now Megan is younger than Peggy and she's average-to-good looking. A very animated girl. She was stunned by you, your experience and you met her at a Starbucks at your campus. This information is with you. YET. But remember every detail and enrich it. All this will be useful. Construct imaginary memories.
Give me your phone number and I will PERSONALLY send you text messages as Megan if you need it. But you can do it too. Megan wants you. And Megan is aware of Peggy. And you will release this information very slowly to Peggy. Use it very carefully, this is a one-time shot. Just mention her. BE CALM. BE CALM BE CALM. Because you have options. If she goes through your phone or if you need immediate leverage, save your own number as Megan and text yourself.

2) Be patient. Do not return her calls, emails. Do NOT return her calls, emails, messages. There's no time limit to this but even if you can't do it cold turkey, REDUCE your availability. Even if she leaves 6000 missed calls. Listen to this again. Because this is the most crucial step. DO NOT return her calls.

3) Be cool and don't be mad at Peggy. This would be the natural reaction of a man with options.

4) HAVE A THICK SKIN ! I sensed that you are easily hurt and affected by even the slightest scoff from Peggy. Cry into yourself. Don't show. It won't help. Don't wait for charity. Don't wait for love. Build it.

5) Actually DO something. Spend some time away from her. Cancel plans, and make changes. BE BOLD.

6) ACT LIKE you have NOTHING to lose, even if you have everything to lose.

These are the immediate rules that I recommend. Once the patient stabilizes come back here and we'll take it from there.